Should I go the legal route?

It’s her child not yours. You won’t stand a chance in court. Apologize for whatever you did and aren’t telling us and suck it up

You can’t win rights to your granddaughter in court. Only mom and dad have rights to the child. Your only hope is to try and fix things with your daughter. If they need help, help them in whatever way you can. That’s what you sign up for when you have children. My mom would give the clothes off her back if I said me and my babies were in need of help

5 Likes

You will not win visitation rights. Grandparents do not have legal rights to visitation with grandchildren. If you can be supportive and loving while you try and mend your relationship with your daughter, that would be better for everyone involved. Good luck.

1 Like

You won’t get anything legally.

Lady…u might just have to cut ur loses…yea it hurts but who knows…after some time you all might get back on the same page and rekindle again…taking her to court about her own child will surely ruin any hope u have of making things better. Just wait it out

3 Likes

Check with your state skme states have grandparent rights some dont my friend in arizona won visit rights with her grandson but not all states have it

Most states do not have grandparents rights and the ones that do it’s usually for if the parent is deployed in prison or something along those lines for the grandparent to still be able to see the grandchild. If the child is taken care of provided for etc there is nothing you can do to force them to let you see your grandchild

Grandparents dont have rights so the courts will do nothing and will make the relationship with your daughter much worse.
Reach out to your daughter if she’ll allow you to. Hopefully in time you will be able to mend your relationship.

1 Like

For everyone saying grandparents don’t have rights every state is different so that may or may not be true, some states absolutely have grandparents rights. Now whether or not you should is not my business because there is more than one side to a story and I don’t know everything that has happened so I don’t have an opinion on that.

Most states do not have grandparents rights, unless the parent has passed away and even then it’s usually one weekend a month… I would try and fix your relationship with your daughter. Even if you don’t think you did anything wrong do what you can to make it better. If I was upset with my parents (whether I was right or wrong) and they threatened to take me to court for rights to MY child, I would cut them off for good. No good will come of you doing that or even just threatening to do it!

3 Likes

Im sorry you are not in your grandchilds life but forcing it you will probably lose and will have completly burned bridges.

2 Likes

She will need something sooner or later. Wait it out

All you people saying grandparents don’t have rights are not correct. It depends on the state. In NY you can go for grandparent rights it’s through family court and doesn’t cost anything unless you choose to have a laywer…I’ve been through it so I know it exists.

1 Like

Tough crowd. Gram wants to meet, hold, love and watch her grand daughter. Cut her some slack. Although court could be the wrong choice, I don’t condemn her for looking for a way to know her granddaughter. Consider gram, the mess in her hormones right now and do your best to wait it out. Maybe shoot her a text once a week just checking on her and the baby. Show her you love them and care for their well-being, even if you don’t see them. Let her know that you had intentions of being there for them. Don’t overdo it. Don’t even expect a response at first. But as much as it hurts you, what you’re going through, you are her mother and she’s lost that right now (in a time when she hoped you would help) she’s probably very hurt by you denying her. I’m sure you had a valid reason to not hand them money, or I hope you did. But she doesn’t see that. She sees that she was 8.5 months pregnant and her own mother wouldn’t help her. All you can do (peacefully) is keep the reminder fresh I her mind that you may have denied her, but you haven’t turned your back on them and you would like to he involved with them again. Good luck

3 Likes

Thats your daughter’s child, not yours. If she wants to act that way fine, but taking her to court is ridiculous. You are just going to make things worse.

10 Likes

Take this from a girl whose toxic mom is trying to do this is . It’s not worth it and in most states there is no grandparents rights

4 Likes

If she has to worry about you taking her to court you probably wont see the kids. She has enough to worry about!

4 Likes

I feel like you are just like my narcissistic mother.
Leave her and her child alone.
You won’t get anything from the courts and they will most likely laugh at you.

9 Likes

You need to try with your daughter try every day send her texts talk to her call her do whatever you need to do to mend that fence otherwise you will lose seeing your grandchild grand parental rights are only in like three states that I know of

Give her time to get over it. It’s concerning your first instinct was to get court involved :grimacing:

9 Likes

If the lawyer is good enough you can get grandparents rights my mom took me to court in Ohio and won every weekend with my son. And I am not an unfit mother no drugs, work everyday ect. She wanted that control and hired the best lawyer possible and the judge granted it

3 Likes

She will want a break sooner or later, just wait it out.

2 Likes

I would be patient…. Personally when i had children is were I needed my mother the most, guarantee ur daughter will come around, she has recently become a mother and alot has changed so in all due respect stop thinking about ur self. The baby won’t remember anything right now… the bonding if for your daughter and her baby right now. If u go
Court guarantees you will destroy any chance of repairing ur relationship . Just go silent and give it time. Good luck

I think you need to first try to mend your relationship with your daughter. Me and my mom had our differences and she would always threaten to take me to court to see my children or that she was going to take them away from me. It didn’t help our relationship and I honestly avoided her for a long time because of it. Things got better soon after she stopped the threats and we have a great relationship now. Honestly I don’t even remember why we stopped talking in the first place because it was that unimportant but her reactions made it worse. I’m sure she will come around and calm down over it. Even though she is grown you are still her mom. Be there for her and support her emotionally and physically. Talk to her! Things may just change for the better! Good luck!

It could be hormones, which can persist postnatally for a while.
I would give her between a few months and s couple of years to cool down, maybe checking in every week or two to see if she is ready to even so much as talk about it, before even researching things.

You don’t have any rights to the kid. Should have lent them that money. :smirk: “Up and down relationship with your daughter” but as the adult you set the tone for that relationship LONG ago. It sounds to me like a classic narcissistic mother who’s child has finally decided to go no contact. Good for her :clap:

11 Likes

I can only speak abt the state I live in so here goes a grandparent doesn’t have rights to a child unless they can prove that they have provided for the child 50% of their life

1 Like

To be honest grandparents should never have rights. They had their time with their own kids. Now mom deserves her time with her own kids. I’m sure if you wait it out you will mend the relationship. If not it’s her kid, her rules.

11 Likes

She will win as most state do not have grand parent rights. Also u are only the grand parent which means u have no rights to that kid. It is not a right to be able to see ur grandkids it is a privilege. So if she doesn’t want u to see her kid then u need to accept that and move on

1 Like

In the state of Iowa, grandparents do not have rights unless both parents are deemed unfit. If both parents are good parents, depending on the state, it will not benefit you

It’s not your kid so never? Unless she is an unfit mother… but in this case it sounds like you need to stop being selfish and let your daughter be a mom. Let her know you are there for her and move on. My mother inlaw tried this and thankfully it’s not possible in my state. I think grand parents need to know their place.

1 Like

Parents have a liberty interest in their fundamental right to autonomy in raising their children. You will hold no weight in court and no attorney would take on your case.

3 Likes

I would try mend your relationship with your daughter. Explain your situation and explain how you want to be apart of both of their lives. It might take time because we don’t know the situation but family is most important. Don’t use threats speak from your head not your anger

2 Likes

One thing I’ve learned is you always will need your mom. Give it time, maybe ask if the baby or her need anything? Or wanna go to lunch text? I can come over and help clean and watch baby while you shower? Just keep trying. Going to court will push her away more.

2 Likes

Depending on the state there aren’t grandparents rights…

1 Like

You’re a grandparent.
You have no rights.
And you THINKING you’re this entitled is crazy.

8 Likes

All this over money. Something else has to be missy

1 Like

Back off and back down. Pursing legal action will make for long term estrangement

Write a letter and try build up relasionship before going legal route

You don’t have any rights

1 Like

Not all states have what are called grand parent rights. I’m in WA and we do, but the grand parent has to prove a substantial amount of involvement like the child living with them, caring for them if their parents are military & deployed etc.

Depends on your State. Some States you have no rights. Consult a family law attorney. In Ohio you can get Grandparents visitation rights but why don’t you just call and try to work it out with your daughter first. I would be devastated if I lost my relationship with any of my children. Maybe try family counseling.

You are wasting your time going to court…what on earth makes you think you have any legal standing to the baby??

4 Likes

If your daughter doesn’t want you to be in the grandchild’s life then you should respect her wishes. Period!

5 Likes

Fix your relationship with your daughter x Do not get solicitors involved it will only make her anger worse.

3 Likes

Alot of states grandparents rights are not a thing

I can tell you this & this is not knowing any specifics. If you violated my parenting choice & dragged me to court to force me to allow you to see my child the first thing that I’d do is fight you & when I won I’d cut you off entirely & forever. Just because you share genetics to someone does NOT give you rights to that person when you want, I don’t care what laws say. If you do do this just be prepared for them to get away from you forever as soon as they can. Sorry you can’t see your grandkid but I’m on the moms side because the baby is HER baby-Not yours.

15 Likes

Do grandparent law hold up in ur state cause they don’t in mine good luck just let it be till they grow upn othibg u can do

I think you should mend the relationship before you go and tell her she has to hand her child over to you for visitation. Yes it may be petty on her end but pulling for grandparent rights always blows my mind. This new concept that someone can force a mother to hand their child to be with their grandparents even against their wishes is trash. You didn’t have the baby, figure out your relationship. May be an unpopular opinion. But just cause your grandparents doesn’t give you automatic right to be around the grand kids, it sucks. But at the end of the day it’s not your child, it’s your grown child’s kid

You’re the grandparent know your place :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t2: you sound ridiculous. That is her child and if she wants you in her life she will let you be in her life. Honestly if My mom ever threaten me to go to court to see my child I would definitely never let her see my child. :woman_facepalming:t2::woozy_face:

12 Likes

She might get mad but she will get over it. Especially if y’all have to see each other for visitation. You have grandparents rights, use em before u do miss out

1 Like

Try to cave to your daughter on this. You need to mend relationship no toxicity. Thats very important

Wait, if not you will lose them both forever x

1 Like

Don’t take her to court. The baby was just born. It’s her first baby obviously and she is showing u, she calls the shots. Be patient with ur daughter. Reassure her ur here for her, even if she doesn’t respond just keep reassuring her ur here for her. I’m sure ur feelings are hurt but she’s gonna want her momma around. Don’t take her to court. It probably won’t end well. I actually witnessed grandparents taking their granddaughter to court. They had people from church, pastor, alll that to back them up. Guess what, they didn’t see the babies for 9 months. Finally granddaughter and grandparents worked out their differences but mom is in charge of who is around their child.

If there’s grandparent rights in your state then yes you definitely can but that doesn’t mean you’ll get visitation especially if they decide to scoop low and make false accusations against you (which bitter people will do just to prevent someone from being happy sadly)

How can you try and file for custody of someone else’s child. You’re a grandparent not a parent. If you wanted more kids you should of had them yourself, leave other people’s children alone

6 Likes

You have no right to that baby, idc if it’s your granddaughter she’s not your baby. Don’t make your daughter miss out on previous time with HER baby. If she was pregnant and needed some extra money, why would you not give it to her? She was pregnant and your her mom. You’re suppose to be one of her biggest support systems. Do you know how odd it is that you want to take your daughter to court to see a baby that’s not yours? You sound very toxic and if I was her, I would of done the same.

4 Likes

I love how the older generation seems to think they have a “right” to children that aren’t theirs 🤦 Grandparents have no rights to see their grandchildren. Its not a thing. We as the parents get to chose who we want around our kids. With that being said. Try to work on yalls relationship. Having a baby is hard just reach out with love and support and hope she comes around.

13 Likes

You are just the grandparent. What makes you think you have any right over someone else’s children? Visitation battles are for mother’s and fathers not grandmother and mother.

12 Likes

Michigan does not have grandparent rights…went thru the same many diff times with my daughter and her it…they get mad and the 1st thing they do is take kids out of our lives…lasts a couple weeks and she comes around again…all states should have grandparent rights

No court will give you visitation. You have not had a relationship with the baby. You are not entitled to that child.

4 Likes

Chances of you getting visits if you go the legal route are slim to none and you will probably do irreparable damage to your relationship with your daughter. In PA at least you would have to prove that seeing the child is in her best interest. Long story but my parents got grandparents visitation rights of my oldest only bc we lived with them for 3 years and it was found to be in his best interest. It rarely happens.

1 Like

Did you ever consider that taking her to court for visitation rights will probably cost way more than the loan they were asking for?
This does come with respect

3 Likes

This makes me think that your were one of the parents that used fear based tactics to get your kid to do what you wanted because why go to court when you can try to mend the relationship with your daughter.
I bet there’s motto the story because no child will just cut off their parent over money—there is definitely more issues and the money was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

6 Likes

A lot of states don’t even have grandparent rights. I think there is an exception in some that if a grandparent had supported and raised a grandchild they could get some visitation if parents decided they could no longer see the child, but I could be wrong. Going to court would only make things worse, I would wait. You are not the parent, they are.

3 Likes

She will soon want a babysitter :joy:

3 Likes

I’d say with everybody commenting the same thing over and over again, talk it over with your daughter and see if she will let you see the child on certain days. Provide her a little bit of money and tell her it’s only for the grandchild or buy the grandchild a couple of things that she needs so she doesn’t spend your money on stupid things.

1 Like

Different situatuon but after my brother died, my niece was obviously taken care of by her mother.
One day I texted her asking her about my brother and turkey bacon and she got really mad at me.
We got into a fight and she decided to not let my mom take my niece for the summer like she had arranged(I wish I was exagerating about the stupid fight, it sounds unbelievable telling the story.)

Well anyways. My mother took her to court to get some rights, sense she is all we have left.
The judge told them to figure it out on their own and if they can’t then go back.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s right to take your daughter to court because she cut you off.
Parents have their reasons for what they do and they do.

1 Like

So let me get this straight, she got mad at you because you said no to giving them money?

So they want you to be their doormat or nothing at all? I’d speak to an attorney about what rights you do have. Some states do not uphold grandparents rights.

That is bullshit that you can’t be in your grandbaby’s life unless you are being used.

Don’t be petty just because your daughter wants to be petty. Give her time to cool off and hopefully she will come to her senses and realize she needs you more than she thinks.

1 Like

I can see why your daughter doesn’t want you around.

10 Likes

There are such things as grandparents rights and visits. Sounds like our daughter is just sour because of money! Women who use their kids as pawns are the most immature people around and u are hurting that baby in the end of it all. No baby is asked to be born into these situations. Hopefully u can send your daughter some money so she can get over her bullshit and let u visit your grand baby

Wow you’re daughter sounds horrible and petty… seems like you’re stuck … I’m so sorry :sob::sob:

2 Likes

Yikes.

Yeah do this. This is how the law works and your already strained relationship with your daughter will totally get a LOT better after you take her to court to sue her for rights to HER newborn child.

You’d never see my kid, if I were her.

Weirdo.

9 Likes

Court-really-this is your daughters child and she has the right to decide who is part of her child’s life/if you were my Mother and were threatening me in such a manner I would be extremely hesitate to to even speak to you.

18 Likes

She’ll be back. Just give it time. If she’s asking you for money now, there’s no way she’ll be able to take care of the baby without your help. She’ll need you.

I can’t believe the disrespect this generation shows to their parents it’s truly sad smh this is what is wrong with this world so you guys think it’s OK to use tour child as a pawn because that is exactly what you all are saying and doing I couldn’t imagine what my life would have been like without my grandparents in it smh sad the world we live in I for one will never have my child disrespect anyone and this is nothing but blatant disrespect our parents may not have been perfect but they gave us life and we are here now with our babies because of them no matter what that is your parents and I had a horrible mother who was a drug addict an alcoholic and she had many men and had many that touched me but you onow what she changed granted it wasn’t until we were all grown and she was much older then but I forgave her for all her short comings and we have a relationship now my kids are 10 and 11 and they have never stayed the night with my bio mother or stayed alone with her but I make sure they have a relationship with her on my terms and she understands why I don’t let those things happen but I had to forgive her so I could be a better mother to my babies just saying the lord gave his only begotten son to save us all and give us all a second chance so if God can then I can to I think many need to reevaluate your relationships you all sound like a bunch of entitled brats if you don’t do it my way I’ll take the kids away really sickening

3 Likes

Don’t give her money. Fuck that. These people are stupid.

Depends on what state your in some states grandparents have no rights

1 Like

In most states, grandparents laws only apply if the parents are split and one isn’t taking their visitation.
Now the fact that you’d even THINK of separating a mother and her new baby, let alone putting LEGAL stress on your daughter during this period, THAT tells me that she waited too long to cut you off. You’re toxic. Get help

5 Likes

My mother threatened me with the “grandparents law” when I got pregnant with my daughter 2.5 yrs ago. I had a rocky relationship with my parents at the time and she said she despite that she had the right to see her grandchild. My daughter is the first of the grandchildren. She said she would threaten my siblings too.
Apparently it’s a petition you can file to legally gets rights to see your grandchild.

Not sure what state you are in but there are no grandparent rights where I live

You won’t get any grandparents rights so your only choice is really to wait it out

2 Likes

You refused to loan them money while she was pregnant but now want to spend God knows how much taking her to court over HER child? That is ridiculous. You dont have any say over that new baby. That is her child to raise. You try taking her to court you will never have a good relationship with your daughter again. Is that what you want?

5 Likes

No sweetie there’s more to this story, and I will keep fighting to remove grandparents laws. You are NOT owed time with your grandchildren. You have 100% no say in this. You did something else, there is something missing from this story. Shame on you trying to make your daughter look crazy. I hope you lose. I hope a judge tells you to get a life. I hate grandparents like you. “I’m gonna go to court” OR you could be a God damn adult and respect your child’s parenting decisions for HER child.

You didn’t loan your pregnant daughter money? I mean I get if you can’t afford it, that’s understandable… but that’s not the feeling I’m getting from this, it sounds like u like to hold power over her. Pursuing her in court come on! That’s her baby not yours. I mean she was pregnant, and needed help, you didn’t help. I’d be upset too, if it was me pregnant… If you can’t be there for her and her child while she’s pregnant then you don’t deserve to be there when she isn’t. Leave her alone shes probably hurt .

2 Likes

Grandparents rights are not really a thing, and the only way you can even attempt to get the rights is if you already have a established relationship with the child that the parent then blocks.

I think it’s ridiculous and overstepping you would consider going to family court. As someone who grew up in that system all they do is ruin families. Suck it up, it’s not your kid and when the mom of this baby is ready she will come around.
Trust me filing in family court not the way to go,

I understand you are hurt and she’s being petty but I also feel there may be more to this story than just what you are posting, but also on a side note, you can’t take her to court for visitation unless she is completely neglectful or dead, other than that grandparents rights aren’t a thing

2 Likes

While I do not agree with your daughter’s behavior, Unfortunately, you have no legal right to this baby. You can check with an attorney to see if grandparent’s rights are even recognized in your situation.

So I definitely wouldn’t take her to court because that would be ruining any chance you have to repair the relationship with your daughter. I suggest working on mending things with your daughter then you can build a relationship with your grandchild.

1 Like

You won’t win visitation with her. If she has a financial need why would you threaten court knowing she can’t afford it? That’s absolutely not ok.
You need therapy and to do some self reflection.

4 Likes

There’s two sides to every story and in my personal situation I would never ever be willing to mend fences if I was taken to court. I’m the parent, I make decisions for my child. Likely you wouldn’t win anyway. Grandparents righths are more like they lived with you or your child died and the spouse is withholding kids

3 Likes

Depending on what state you live in, some states dont honor grandparents right. I live in ohio and i know ohio does not honor it.

2 Likes

Do Not take her to court!!! It is her child!! Try to mend the fence

1 Like

You don’t have any rights over the child and your daughter is not obligated to allow you in their lives. Back all the way off

4 Likes

In my personal opinion, the fact you guys have an up and down relationship and then her being able to cut contact completely over something that seems small to you, probably means that she thinks that you did something to her that was unforgivable/hurt her immensely in the past and then you refusing to help her in her time of need probably sent it over the top. She is the mother of that child and it is her choice who is able to see the baby. Therefore I would leave it be, then maybe she eventually will let you meet your grandbaby.

4 Likes

What makes you think that court will allow you visitation?
Statutory law presumes that a parent is acting in their child’s best interests when they deny a grandparent visitation…

4 Likes

I accidentally deleted my original reply🤦🏻‍♀️
But honestly courts a bad idea all around.

1 Like

Am I the only one on here that feels using a child as a weapon is absolutely wrong!
Whether this lady has rights to see her grandchild or not, unless there has been a proper reason to why like safety etc then using a child to hurt someone is disgusting! As for money why should she keep giving her daughter and partner money? Maybe she doesn’t have a lot herself? If they don’t have money why did they have a child as clearly they can’t afford to!
All this lady wants todo is see her grandchild! I’ve fallen out with my husbands mum in the past but not once have I ever threatened/used my children as weapons or even stopped her from seeing my children.

6 Likes