Should I let my 6 month old get the flu shot?

My child will be six months soon, and my question is should I let him get the flu shot. I stopped getting the flu shot years ago because I only got sick, very sick, after getting it. Never gotten sick after I stopped getting up but very concerned for him, I do not want him to be miserable.

15 Likes

I thought it was a year old?
But i could be wrong.
But yes.
My daughter got her flu shot every year since she was 1.
If she even got sick during flu season it was she threw up once or twice with a low grade fever and then she was down for maybe half a day and was back up again.
BUT that’s completely up to you.

EVERY KID IS DIFFERENT! one child may not have side effects and the other may get incredibly sick and have extremely horrible side effects. The chance and risk is up to you. I stopped shots at 6months for my 1st daughter, she had a bad reaction and even her pediatrician fully believed it was due to the shots…she dulled out within 1hr of her shot, and just went blank for awhile then cried for hours and hours. 2 days later she developed a serious rash from scalp to toe, the ER said strep rash but the test came back negative. Pediatrician said she’s seen it in MANY children after 2 days after shots. I wasn’t taking anymore chances with her life.

2 Likes

Fun fact, the spanish flu from 1918 is still one of the strains of flu around today! I always get a flu shot as do my kids. My mother in law was a practice nurse and gave thousands of flu jabs and seen people die of flu from not getting a jab. Not worth risking not having it IMO.

8 Likes

Do what you think is best, my sister doesn’t get flu shots for her kids cause they all end up sick every year when they do, I went ahead and got mine so my newborn could get all the antibodies she could get for this winter since she came 10 weeks early. To each their own.

5 Likes

No one in my family gets the flu vaccine. They never have them at our drs office and we never go to drug stores for anything so we always end up skipping it. But to each their own!

1 Like

5 kids here. Never have gotten the flu shot for any of them… My kids are 10, 6, 5, 3 and 19m. Healthy as can be. Only thing they have ever gotten are coughs/stuffy/runny noses-seemily seasonal stuff… Do what feels best for you and yours. Always.

1 Like

My daughter got one at 6 months. I skipped the year after and she got super sick with and without it. Shes 3 now and baby 2 on the way so well be getting it in attempt to keep him safe. I work in healthcare so i was always required to get it. My nephew almost died at 4 days old because of the flu. If i can prevent it I’m going to try. You do what you feel is best though Ultimately youre never going to hear a strong opinion on one side or the other. Form your own opinion and remember no matter what you choose you chose what you felt was best for your child

2 Likes

My daughter has received one for the last 12 years… I will gladly give her one every year! There was actually 1 year she did not get the shot and we were in the er 5 times as my daughter ended up with the flu that many times and 1 time almost killed her. So, yes, I would personally give my child one. I am due in Feb with another child and believe me, she will get her immunizations as well! Someone who didn’t want to vaccinate their child almost killed my daughter when she was 13 months old and her step sister was at school with someone who’s parents refused to give vaccines and my daughter ended up getting whooping cough and in hospital for weeks even though she had her vaccines up to her age.

1 Like

Never gotten it, neve made any of my kids get it, never well.
I’ve seen some of the worst side effects of it and refuse to do it.
Just research it, talk with babies dr and go with your gut

1 Like

My baby got it at 6 months. Never had any issues with it.
Dr said whatever is needed for my baby to be safe and I agreed so we got the shot. And we’ll get the next one at 7 months.

1 Like

If you wont get it for yourself why would you make him get it?Unless his immune system would be compromised more without it,id leave it alone if he has been healthy up to now.

1 Like

I can’t get them cause I get really really sick and I honestly never did give them to my kids afraid that they will get the same reaction I do

I used to get sick too, but last year my dr said they changed up the flu vaccine. Last year was the first time I didn’t get sick.

My daughter got her flu shot and nothing happened to her she never got sick… But it’s up to you

1 Like

Yup! The flu is dangerous enough, but especially for little ones.

No!! My family of 5 never get it. We don’t get sick like others I know that do get it

1 Like

Absolutely get him vaccinated

My daughter got her first one at 6 or 7 months old. She’s had it every year with no problems.

Talk to your pediatrician about your concerns. I never used to get the flu shot myself, but my daughter was born during flu season and had to be in the NICU. We were asked to get out flu shots in order to be there with her, which we complied. Since then, I have consulted with my doctor regarding giving my daughter the flu shot. My daughter did, in fact, get influenza A last year after receiving the flu shot BUT her symptoms were not severe. The flu shot will not completely prevent the flu but it can lessen symptoms. Especially if your little one goes to daycare, it would be something to think about.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing and I had concerns I asked her doctor that what’s best for my daughter she’s 15 months and I asked her doctor that was is best because I have another toddler at home and a newborn and she told me if I work and I said no I’m a stay at home mom and she told me if I took them to day care and I said no and she said do you go out a lot and I said no only when I need to and she said then no it’s fine if you are the only one that stays with them then she is good without it

Personal option completely up to you. I’ve gotten a flu shot every year since I was young and now so does my son we never had bad experiences with it. My friend says she gets sick every time. Go with how you feel

I’m 65 years old never have got a flu shot or pneumonia shot dont take the flu I do vitamin c and drink orange juice every day so do my kids we do great

4 Likes

Every person is different! But I highly recommend getting the flu shot, especially for the little ones. Baby has to be 6 months. I have a 10, 8, and 16 month old. None of them get or have had a reaction to the flu shot! As a healthcare worker I feel as if it’s extra necessary to get it.

I’m the same way. Only time I got the flu was when I had a flu shot and it was awful. My daughter is 2.5 and we don’t do shots. She’s had one cold and one ear infection. Your kido may be too young in the first place but really it’s up to you. Look up side effects for kids and do what you think is best for you.

Every year my niece has gotten the flu shot she has gotten the flu. My kids have gotten it for the past 4 years and haven’t gotten the flu. However I recommend the initial dose because it has to be done in 2 parts and you could have tk do that when they’re old i know they did it in 2 parts for the aforementioned niece at like 7

My son didn’t get it until he was 3 1/2 years, because preschool required it. Your baby, you know what’s best

I missed it for both of my kids last year an they ended up in the hospital on IVs one was 8 the other was 5 they were VERY VERY ill for like a week never again will I let them miss that flu shot it was the scariest week of my life :broken_heart::sob:

My children are 3 and 18 months and have never gotten the flu shot I only got the flu shot 6 times in my adult life in because I was forced to through work being in the nursing field since being out of the nursing field I am not received the flu shot

I have never gotten my daughter a flu shot! She is 10 and (knock on wood) she has never had the flu.

When did you start giving the flu shot to kids ?? I started having the flu shot after i hit 50years old best thing i ever did.

Just a heads up babies and toddlers getting their FIRST flu shot, need 2 doses with 4 weeks in between shots, so prepare yourself for 2 shots

This is up to you.
I wouldn’t but that’s me and my opinion based off the information I’ve been given by off the clock Healthcare workers.

It’s your child and in the end, your decision. On here, you’ll get HELL NO and HELL YES.

You should ask the dr for an allergy test for both of you. You either already had the flu in your system or there is something in the flu shot you are allergic to.

Gave it to my daughter when she was 7 to 8 months and that year she got a and b flu at the same time which they said was rare so after that never gave it to her again and shes 2 now

Yes absolutely do, especially with Covid coming into flu season. Give them a fighting chance

I’ve never had the flu shot I’m 32 my parents never got me one either and I’ve never had the flu, I won’t get my kids the flu shot either. Ppl I know who do get the flu shot seem to get the flu anyways

My 8 month old nephew got the flu and was fine. Research the vaccine insert if you have any questions.

I got my 6 month the flu shot… it never bothered him at all he just slept!

No. Do research in efficacy, ingredients, adverse reactions first.

2 Likes

You have to make that decision. I personally get it for myself and my son always have

Absolutely never get the flu shot

3 Likes

Mine almost died 8 hours after getting it

2 Likes

Depends on you personally. My daughter had one and she’s perfectly fine

The more you get it the more immunity you will build.

My daughter was born with a hole in her heart and compromised lungs. She has been getting the flu shot since she was 6 months and every year since. She’s 17 now.

1 Like

No! Children need to build an immune system and they won’t do that if you’re eliminating their ability to fight viruses!
I all for necessary vaccines but not the flu shot!

2 Likes

I just got the shot for my 6 month old. She was tired and fussy, but that was it; no fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea. My 3 year old and I both also got our flu shot. Again, no reaction for either of us except a day of being very tired.

My kids (19,18, and 11) all vaccinated except for the flu shot… pediatrician always said no need for them to have it

That’s just personal opinion. I never got my kids the flu shot. Only my son had ever had the flu I think he was either 1 or 2. I mainly make sure they eat healthy and take vitamins every morning

Your the mom it’s your decision :slight_smile: Everytime I’ve gotten the flu shot I’ve gotten sick right after. My LO was to young to get it last year and I’m not getting it and hes not getting it this year. In my personal opinion Kids need to build an immune system just like when we were kids, there was no flu shot and we survived the flu and cold season.

You have to make whatever decision is best for you. I usually get the vaccine for my 9, 5, and 2 year olds, but I don’t think I am this year. We’re doing virtual learning and I haven’t been taking them into stores or anywhere for that matter so I don’t think they will have the chance to be exposed to the flu. In previous years, my oldest and youngest both had the flu but their symptoms weren’t horrible and I believe the flu shot did benefit them.

I did. The issue with this question is your pretty much asking if people believe in getting their children vaccinated and the only responses you’re going to get is how they feel about it. I’m not saying people have to or don’t have to that’s their choice but it’s to vague. If that makes sense

Even if your kid gets a terrible reaction, is still way better than getting actual influenza.

https://kidzmart-shop.myshopify.com/collections/all

Nope. I only get really sick when I get the flu shot. I’ve stopped getting it and have been fine. My son is 5 and never had it and has been fine and my daughter is 9mo and I refuse for her as well. The dr tries to convince me to get it for my kids every dr apt but I refuse

4 Likes

i did mine but its ur choice u have to make that choice but i do to help my kids out.

A flu shot does not give you the flu, research it