Should I send my two year old to preschool?

I definitely get your anxiety and no matter what you choose you will always feel that you either made the wrong decision or that you made it too quick. In my experience I’d say do it i wish I would of sent my lil dude earlier than I did…I feel like it maybe would of helped his speech n social interaction. My son is 4 now and just started pre k and doesn’t talk or engage with almost anyone…here’s the thing you can always try n see if it works for her n if it doesn’t you have every right to pull her and try next year…you’ll never know the possibilities until you try. Hopefully that helps a bit

I personally think she is to young for school maybe you could make some play dates with other kids her age and younger. Let her slowly adjust to other kids

5 Likes

I sent my son when he was almost 3. They had a special needs class. He only says dada and mama but he did so good in class! He loved it too.

I just went through this with my kiddo. He’ll be 3 Monday and until the beginning of summer he didn’t have much of a vocabulary. Like mom , dad, Bubba. That was about it. He went to daycare and within a month he was saying a whole lot more and now he says any and everything. Like we had done talked to his ped and he was going to have to start therapy when he turned 3 if he hadn’t started talking. I think being around the kiddos and seeing them talk and interact helped alot. That an me and dad just knew what he wanted, he had to learn to communicate with his teachers so I think that’s another thing that helped. Even though your baby can’t talk their actions will tell uou if they are being mistreated while there. Your kiddo will give you signs if he is being mistreated you just have to look for them.

My daughter was the same and. We did birth to three but everything was online so didn’t really help- I just kept doing a lot painting, music and now this girl can say sentences. Don’t worry it will take some time but I’m sure she will be there. Does she follow directions when you tell her?

My son had a speech delay
The suggested I put him in preschool early “being around other kids that regularly communicate will help stimulate him to speak” so I did he went for two yrs. It did help a lot

You could try some hobby schools or like playgroups I’m not sure of the right term but something you could do with her so you know she’s safe and also can interact with kids her age

If you have or know a place that you feel comfortable taking her, it would do her good. It helps with speech along with a lot of other toddler issues.

I run a dayhome so I can stay home with my daughter who has autism. I definitely get how you feel. My daughter is 3 1/2 and language is very delayed.

My son didn’t talk until he was 3. She’ll get there!! I wouldn’t send her yet

If you have a pediatrics plus near you they are amazing my daughter was 2 and couldn’t speak or anything and within the last year she is singing me songs and telling me she loves me and asking what I’m doing and its so great please try them if you can, they will help your baby so much :heart::heart:

1 Like

While I personally think 2 is too young , if you decide she needs it (hopefully when she’s a little older) you could look for one that has cameras on it that the parents can view from their phones… That way you could check on her as often as you like

My son was born 3 months early which allowed me to send him to school a year early. He is in 9th grade now & I’ve regretted it since preschool. We should have waited so that he could grow up some. He is the smallest & the most behind. The push forward is not always best.
Why not look for a school based daycare program that will help her learn instead of preschool??

My son was 3 going on 4 (December birthday) & only spoke a few words. He started speech & OT with IEP & pre-k later that year, & I was amazed at how quickly he made progress. By the time he started kindergarten he no longer needed services. I would say age 2 is young, continue in home services & start pre-k at age 3. She just need more time.

My two year old goes to nursery school. They need to socialize with kids their age!

If she’s non verbal, absolutely not do not send her. Anyone can do anything to her and you’d never know. Schools and daycare are not safe, they can (and will) do things to your child without your knowledge or permission, and that isnt even bringing abuse etc into the picture. Never leave a non verbal child with anyone, for any reason, not even for a second.

First and foremost I want to say that you know your child and their needs better than anyone here and any choice you make will be the right one. Nonverbal kids still communicate with their parents and caregivers, so you would still notice if something was wrong most likely. With that being said, I personally do not feel comfortable placing my child into professional childcare until she is old enough to articulate if something happens to her.

Yes. Kids learn so much on a preschool or head start environment. All my kids went to daycare until old enough for head start. I am a single mom and work so I had to have them somewhere. Daycare at 6 weeks. Early head start at 3. It worked so good. All my kids read by the time they started kindergarten. Kids need the socializing…

My six ye old has speech delay and they did speech therapy in headstart. It was so awesome for him.

I would ask you slp if there are any Early Intervention programs in your area. My late talkers went to EI at 3.

1 Like

I wouldn’t till 3. My son had in home therapy 4 days a week 18m to 3 then the school took over. He did 2 years of special education preschool before going to kinder

1 Like

Daycare may help her speech. Just check in often, unannounced visits.
My son’s speech wasn’t too good and at three years old I put him in daycare, it did a world of good for him!

Absolutely. If you can find a Montessori all the better.

I wouldn’t send her. I feel kids go to school enough when they have to. Let kids me kids stay home and play.

1 Like

She’s in speech. Now okay with her. Monalogue, and say what you are doing ( bounce the ball) etc. Slow, short sentences, do nursery rhymes. Sing slower than records, read especially picture and rhyme books. She’s a baby. Don’t push. Learn together. Be around other children in small groups. Age three or older is fine a couple days a week

My son is 4 he’s never been to pre school or day care. Never had a problem with him learning to talk. Why send them to day care or preschool during this covid pandemic. That’s just a risk of not taking as a parent. He does fine at home. He learned how to talk from watching sesame Street and mickey mouse. I don’t get how parents send kids to speech therapy. Kids talk when they are ready why rush it.

She needs to be with children her age so she can relate and learn from first hand experience she’ll be fine and if not you will find a better way