Should I take my son to the ER for croup?

I think my son has croup… he’s my only child so I honestly have no clue, but other than a cough he’s completely healthy but the cough is harsher than normal. Do I need to take him to the dr or can I cure it at home? Edit to add: he’s 3

4 Likes

I took my daughter to an urgent care. They gave her a liquid oral steroid and I noticed improvement within 24-36 hours.

Totally do what you feel is necessary. If he seems like he needs emergency care then that is an option. My daughter had it twice, I took her to urgent care both times and they gave her a oral steroid and she improved a lot within 24-36 hours.

Mine is 2 and I always call if anything is persisting. Mine also only usually shows one symptom at a time… I always figure better safe than sorry. My 2 year old had a cough for a few weeks and finally got it checked bc it just wouldn’t go away and was told they were perfectly clear and it was just allergies…

One thing I always stand by is the “mama’s gut” you know you’re baby better than anyone - if you think they need to be seen -take them.

It’s better to take them and not need anything than to not and need something.

1 Like

If he’s not struggling to breathe then you don’t need to take him to the emergency room but you can take him to the pediatrician or urgent care to get him checked out just to be sure everything is ok.

4 Likes

If he’s having trouble breathing, I would take him in for a breathing treatment and steroids. Other than that it’s just a waiting game.