Should I work until the day I give birth?

From my experience start your leave early! Use the time to relax, get the last of baby stuff orginised.

My son I worked a week past my due date, daughter i worked 2 days before my due date (told my boss I hope not to be here on monday the friday before and went into labor on her due date on sunday)

How do you feel? What does your Dr. say? Let that be your guide!

Depending on how you feel with my first I work until the day I delivered with my second I quit my job a little after I found out I was pregnant and I delivered premature at 34 weeks

I’d be more concerned of the fact that if you test positive for Covid in the hospital they are going to take your baby from you!.. it’s happing here!

I did so I could have more time with the baby

I worked until 41 weeks then started maternity leave and she came 2 days later. But she was hitting my nerves and making my sciatica hurt, and some nerve that made my legs go numb

I wore bladder control pads my last few days at (office) work & kept some available plus a garbage bag or two in case my water broke. I had really big babies & lots of fluid, so they lasted me 10 minutes before I had to change them, but it did prevent a big mess, and made it more likely someone would allow me in their car to drive me to the hospital if needed.

Took about a week off with my first to get ready plus I was miserable, but my water broke the 2nd day. With my 2nd I fixed it so I could work from home the last two weeks so I could lie down or take breaks if I needed to, work at all hours since it was tough to sleep & could wear my giant nightgown and go commando (my babies were so big even maternity undies were uncomfortable & stretched funny).

Congratulations and good luck!

I have to take two weeks off prior due to covid

1 Like

I always worked up until I went into labor

I gave birth my last day of work!

I would work right up until baby if you can. It’s better to have that bonding time with baby.

I worked until the day before with my first. I was basically on bed rest with my second so I had to start my leave 3 weeks before due to bleeding.

I worked until I had my baby so I could take as much time as possible off after birth!

If you’re good to go start it the day before you get induced

Doctor put me out on disability 2 weeks before my due date but suggested it ever week 4 weeks prior to me feeling too tired and the job being too much at that point so I could have had 6 weeks of disability if I had agreed with doctor. I took 3 months off for my maternity leave.

I worked until 2 hours before my middle one was born. Would I recommend cutting it that close? No! But God had other plans lol. Super easy delivery, got to the hospital at 9 1/2 cm dilated

Listen to your body, i worked up till a week before i had my daughter.

I worked until I gave birth so I could spend more time with my newborn baby :heart:

1 Like

I worked until a Monday. Had my son that Wednesday. If you can stand it I would work as long as you possibly can do you don’t use a lot of maternity leave before your baby comes.

1 Like

Work up to due date.

1 Like

work if your able more time with baby after birth

1 Like

Work the whole time you will have more time with the precious lil baby

1 Like

I worked until 6 days before I was due and he was 1 day early, but my 3rd baby.

My first was 5 days late and second was 3 days late.

It’s really up to you mama!:heart:

1 Like

If you have sick time and vacation you can use it on top of the maternity leave!

I was able to have 3 months off after baby - saved up all of the time

1 Like

I was only offered 6 weeks maternity leave with FMLA, without my sick/vacation pay added.
Are you guys in the US?

I worked past my due date I was overdue

1 Like

I started my leave early then regretted it. Wait till a day or two before the date then take your leave

1 Like

If you’re going back to work, then work until you have to go to the hospital.
If you’re not then it’s whatever.
You’re going to want more time with your little rather than a day off when it comes time.

1 Like

I worked until about 4 weeks before my due date i was carrying twins… i waited so i could spend more time with my babies

1 Like

If you are by any chance a Federal employee, then you should take time off before the birth. Make sure you hold that baby in till Oct 1rst or later to get that 12 weeks paid leave.

I did, I stood up to go into work and I was like "I think my water broke " and surprise! It did. Had my little girl the next afternoon

2 Likes

I worked up to giving birth to all mine I had my first 3 days late my second was 3 days late the induced me at 36 weeks with my 3rd worked Wednesday scheduled off Thursday had my 4th on Friday and my water broke 10 weeks early at work with my last one

1 Like

I let my body decide for me. With my first I worked up until the day before. With my second, I had complications and my body forced a decision for me about s week before I actually ended up having him. Id rather use all of the alloted time while babe is here. If you need time to prepare, go early. So many things to consider.

1 Like

I went on leave almost 3 weeks ago at 36 weeks. Drs orders due to high blood pressure. Fortunately I work for a company that will pretty much give me as long as I need up to 12 weeks from when I actually put for my request in. So I have 12 weeks from August 29th.

I would start a few days-a week before they plan to induce you. I had almost a week off before my baby was due and I loved the time to get things ready and not worry about anything other than my other child.

Last year I worked on Saturday and went to be induced on Sunday. I was even telling my boss to call if needed and I could work until 5 and the ladies at the store told me I was crazy and to relax beforehand. Do what your comfortable with, especially with the different rules with COVID and all that.

1 Like

I had planned to work right up, but ended up having to take two weeks before to quarantine. I’m really glad I did, though, as I struggled even through working my 37th week. I think it depends on your job, though. I have a very active job, so I’m on my feet a lot. If you have a desk job or something, you’d probably be fine to work right up.

I worked up to the morning of my induction. If you can do that as well I would. You will need the full 12 weeks to recover and get into a new routine.

The 1st is my daughters 6th birthday! And she was due the 8th also! I worked until 4 days before I had her and was induced. I just needed a few days off to rest and everything before the labor and delivery :purple_heart: and with my son I worked until 2 days before I had him. Took the day off before for some much needed rest :blue_heart:

Start it 3-5 days early that way your house and bills are in order, you’ve tried to rest and you feel mentally prepared.

Do what your body tells you is right. I was scheduled to be induced on 2/10 and worked up to the night of 2/9. I felt great and wanted to take all my time while my baby was here. I didn’t have formal maternity leave, and as a single mom I was back to work on the 15th. Not ideal, but I had two teenage daughters who helped out tremendously. I look back and wonder how I managed to successfully nurse my newborn son. :pregnant_woman:

I worked up until the day I had both my boys! Loved having the 12 weeks with them afterwards! It’s really how your body reacts and support you have at home! Enjoy your life is about to get better! Love motherhood!!

I worked until I couldn’t any more with all of mine. It depends on how you are feeling. I try to make it as far as I can so I get more time afterwards

1 Like

With my first I took my 2 weeks vacation then took leave and didnt go back as I was moving. With my second my water broke 15 minutes before my shift ended, had her the next day. With my 3rd I had planned to take off early but the day I started my leave my water broke.

I worked up until I did, I was in inactive labor while at work the night before too but didnt know it bc I thought it was just fake contractions and then ny water broke 6 hours after I got off

I worked until my water broke with all 3 kids.

At least 4 days. I’d say a week. There are always last minute to dos… clean house, buy groceries, pay Bill’s… spend time with the other half, just relaxing.

If you feel good work but I would take a couple days to relax before. You will be so glad you did.

I worked untill 38 weeks.
Just do what your body can handle x

Take a day or two off before & rest

I waited almost to long to go ! My first was quick. And the 2nd one was late

I worked until the day that way I could spend time with baby

I was at work doing construction the day they called to tell me to be there by 4 to get induced.

Totally up to you. I get induced on the 8th and my last day is today with the holiday on Monday.

My last day was 12 days before my son was born.

I tried working until I went into labor with all 3 of mine. I had to end up stopping the week before with all of them due to my body hurting too bad. I would definitely suggest at least taking a week before off to give your body some time to rest before the big day.

Depends on how you’re feeling, I worked right up to the birth but it was an easy pregnancy, I was only taking 4 months and didn’t want to waste any before the baby was born

With my first I took 2 weeks before my due date off and I’m SO GLAD that I did. Yes I missed those 2 extra weeks with her but I also really was glad I had that time to just relax by myself, lay down and be lazy or whatever I wanted before she was born and I haven’t relaxed in 4 years now :rofl::rofl: I say it’s up to you but I definitely don’t regret it. I took about the same amount of time with my son too.

I stopped working at 38 weeks with 1st and she came 3 days late via csection. Luckily, my time extended into summer break and I didn’t have to go back until end of July when school started back. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this baby. I think I’ll work as long as I can unless my health prevents it. My DD is 2/20 and it will be a scheduled csection. I’m thinking it will be scheduled for sometime during week 39.

My first, I worked until I could stand being at work any longer due to contractions that lasted a week or so before I begged the dr to induce me on my due date. My second, I worked up until my due date. Woke up that morning and went to the hospital right before I would have had to leave for work. This 3rd, I’m working as long as I can before baby is born. Take a day or half days here and there to nest and prepare if you can or need to.

I worked until the very end - even went through early labor while at work. It was interesting timing the contractions at work, but it was too soon to go in so what else could I do? :woman_shrugging:t3:

With my first I took the week before my induction date off. With my second I worked a short overnight shift (midnight to 5am) the day of my 9am induction. Luckily with my second I was only in the hospital for the weekend, went in Friday and was discharged Sunday. My first i was admitted on a Tuesday and discharged on Sunday.

I worked until the day of my induction. I wanted to use my leave for when he was here, in case there were any issues.

2 Likes

I would take at least a day or two before the birth myself, because I know while I was at work all I would want to do would be nesting around the house, I’d be too distracted.
But you do what you feel, there are no wrong answers, I’m sure you’ll make the perfect choice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It all depends on how you feel mama. I had an easy pregnancy, so I decided to continue working until the end. I left work Friday evening, had the Weekend off, and gave birth on Monday. :heart:

Depending on how you feel. For my 6th cold I was almost 41. I went to the doctor on my day off which was a Friday, Saturday I went to the hospital for them to induce labor, I started having contractions & therefore didn’t need to be induced, had Kristi, went home Monday & back to work in 3 weeks.

I worked all the way up to the day I had 3 of my 4 children. My youngest and biggest I worked up to about a week before he was born but I was so big I couldn’t sit and do my job without feeling dizzy or light headed. And standing was even hard. So I would say listen to your body and go by how you feel

1 Like

I worked until the day I went into labor and I was five days past my due date. Listen to your body. Everyone said to take a few weeks off before, but I couldn’t seem to take off work if I felt fine. The last couple days I was definitely feeling it, but I was literally about to pop😂 Just listen to your body!!

I took 2-3 days off work before each of mine just to relax and prepare. My jobs stresses me out and I didn’t want to feel that going into labor.

Good advice from these new mothers. Trust you. Sometimes babies r later than the due date. You might want to take and cherish every minute after birth

I worked until my due date or induction… You’re going to be out of work for awhile might as well. But it’s up to your body

2 Likes

I worked up until I was 38 weeks pregnant before my doctor took me off work. I had high BP and my job had me walking 5+ miles a day which was horrible for my bp. Its really up to you and your doctor

I worked until the day before I delivered and that was only because I was having contractions throughout the day, otherwise I would have kept working. I wanted to spend more time after my son was born than before.

Listen to your body. Some people work up until the water breaks. Some are bed ridden for weeks before delivery. Working gives you something productive to do, keeps you involved all good things if you are up to it. But do what your body (and pediatrician) tells you.

Those days off go FAST unless you absolutely need to leave early just save them

There’s pros and cons to both.
The pro to working till birth if your body is up for it just means more time home with baby after the birth.
But also it’s nice to have a little time to yourself before birth and to relax as life gets a lot more crazy with a newborn! But if you choose that route, and your baby is late, then you’re just cutting into your time with baby.

Each body and pregnancy is different. With my first I went stopped working at 20 weeks. With my second I worked the morning of the day I went to be induced.

I worked til the day my second was born. Water broke 4 hours after I got home and had him 2 hours later. I was a planned c-section but he decided to come 2 weeks prior.

Work up till the last day unless doc says otherwise. I actually went to work while i was in labor, long story i wont go in detail with but point being it is possible and ok to work at full term unless advised otherwise by the doctor.

If you are comfortable and not in any pain. I would work until the day you couldn’t

3 Likes

I worked up until be induced! I would put it off as long as your body will allow you! After you have the baby your going to want sleep sleep sleep so you’ll want that full 12 weeks promise!

Work until you pop the baby out so you have more time with your baby. That’s what I did with both of mine and am so thankful I did.

I worked until to and past my due date until the baby was born

I worked until i felt like I couldn’t anymore. Had her 3 days later

I worked til the day before i had my 1st child… she was 3weeks early so i was still working… it was easy :+1:

It’s up to you, how you feel :wink:

I wanted to work up til I was ready. I got put on home assignment. I hate it.

I worked until Wed and had her on Friday. Then I had all my 12 weeks to use with her. :blush:

I wasn’t working with baby #4, but I worked up to the day I gave birth with the older 3.

Having 3 I worked all the way up save the leave until baby!

Work up until the day. You’ll want to spend as much time with new baby.

1 Like

I ruptured on a Sunday night at Texas Roadhouse after dinner. I thought I had pees myself a little. Got up the next morning. Shorts a little wet. Went to work (I work in surgery), belly was getting hard but no pain. My manager made me go to my OB. she was born that day

Work until you can’t. I’m schedule c section this Thursday and will work my last shift Wednesday night

I worked til the day before and used time after

1 Like

I worked up until the last month.

Do what your body tells you to do

it’s up to you and how comfortable you are working! i worked past my due date with my first bc i felt great! i had to quit working with my second bc it was a terrible pregnancy! and if this is your first,i really believe that you’ll want any extra second you can with them once they’re born! so i would personally work until you have the baby :heart: good luck

I worked up until the day I gave birth with all my kids. I only got like 2 weeks of leave unpaid yes I know so not right or legal but that’s what I got so I needed the paychecks

Depending on your type of job but I worked until 10 days before all 3of my kids

I worked til 3 weeks b4 Due and used 3 Weeks Vacation, he was 5 days over for my 1st Born.