Should I worry about my babies weight?

So, I have an (almost) 8 month son. He eats between 7-10oz every 4-6 hours and weighs 21lbs.
My friends son is almost 4 months old, eats the same amount more frequently and weighs the same as my 8 month old.
Is this just typical baby differences? Is her son just a “big” baby, or could something be wrong? Her babys doctor and nurses she talked to on several occasions are not taking her concerns seriously.

5 Likes

Every child is different. My kids were bigger babies. Theyre both healthy as can be.

1 Like

My son was 25lbs at 4months old hes now 6 and weighes 63lbs but drs are not concerned

Your son is fine when babies hit the crawling, scooting and walking stages they tend to “maintain” and sometimes lose weight because theyre more active. All babies are different. Consult your doctor if you’re unsure. But if theyre not worried I wouldn’t be either.

1 Like

Every child is different

Every child is different from weight to milestones. My son always been on the lighter side and doctors were never concerned. Long as YOUR baby isn’t underweight or considered overweight, I wouldn’t worry.

My 1 and a half year old is 24lbs🤷‍♀️ her cousin is 5 and is only 35lbs

You should be concerned about why YOUR baby weighs that low . Her baby is healthy and hitting all the milestones and within average range . Yours is 21lbs … although yours as well maybe healthy and happy but why so low weight 8 months old should be on at least rice pablum

1 Like

My almost 2 year old daughter is 23lbs so I’d say both of you have big babies lol

3 Likes

My son is 7 months and only 14 pounds. Every child is different. My doctor says my son is on his own scale and healthy as can be

1 Like

Look at their percentiles. If they’re a baby who started out in the 5th percentile and they stay in that range, that’s their normal. My baby was 9 lbs, 3 oz at birth. She has stayed in the 90th percentile range for height and weight the whole time. She’s 18 months old and still a big girl. She breastfed like a champ and now that she’s enjoying solids, she eats well too. That’s her normal.

1 Like

Yup every baby is different. My 8mo weighs 18.5lbs as of May 30th. He eats about 4oz of formula 6x or so a day, eats cereal with fruit, or meat puree with veggies 2-3x a day and also snacks off our plates (pea sized bites of things like soft fruits, hard boiled eggs, potato and hamburger). He is also very active, crawling and pulling himself to stand. If he is up, he is moving.

Uh. Both babies are big. My 1 yr old weighed 19 other 21lbs.

Every baby is different don’t compare

My son is 26lbs his cousin on his fathers side is 4 months older at 22lbs both 2 all babies are different

every kid is different. my son and his cousin are 10 days apart - my son was 20lbs at 6 months and 25lbs at a year… the cousin was 17lbs at a year!

now they’re 12, she’s two inches taller than him and they both weight 91lbs. it all evens out :slightly_smiling_face:

My son will be 6 months old tomorrow but at his 4 month appt he weighed 18lbs and his dr had no concern and said he is just a big boy. He eats 5oz every 3 hrs. Every child is different

My 2 year old weighs the same as my 4 year old. Lol. Some kids are just bigger than others.

Thats a lot of milk even for your 8mo. They only need about 24oz a day.

1 Like

My 21 month old is 32lbs and 3ft tall. He’s a big kid for his age and he loves to eat, but everyone thinks he’s way older than he is.

My daughter is 8 months old and weighs 15 pounds. Shes small but growing so her doctor isnt concerned. Every baby is different

Your son is okay. My daughter was 98th percentile and looked like a 1 year old at 4 months. My son was 50th percentile and still seems smaller than half the babies out there. No worries.

My 5 year old son is 31lbs but eats like a cow. Every kid is different.

The DOCTOR isnt taking her concerns seriously, because he’s the DOCTOR. if he says nothing is wrong nothing is wrong.

Your friends baby is a fat baby. She should try giving him a binki instead of a bottle all of the time. Some babies like to suckle not just eat.

2 Likes

My 6 year old son is 36lbs,My 4 year old son is 34lbs and my 20 month daughter is 16lbs :woman_shrugging:t3:

Just like adults, all children are different. She needs to trust and listen to the doctors.

My 9 month old is 26 pounds and 33 inches tall. My almost 2 year old is 32 inches and 23 pounds. Every kid is different

My son was 9lbs 2oz when he was born and started at 4oz now he’s 21 months old and 40lbs and 3 feet tall every kid is different

2 Likes

My youngest child is 7yo and a bit on the “small” side at almost 50 lbs. (is 31st percentile for weight and like the 27th percentile for height). She has a 4 1/2yo nephew who probably outweighs her by at least 5 lbs now…and a 4yo niece who is only 5-7pounds less than her. Her dr says at long as she keeps growing proportionally, it is no concern. (mind you she was a chunky baby until she started walking just before she turned 9 months old…about 20lbs then)

My son is almost 11mo and just hit 22lbs. A friend of mine on the other hand had an 18lb two month old. I would think as long as the baby is hitting his milestones and the doctors don’t seem concerned everything should be fine. Obviously if she is this concerned maybe she should look at seeing a different doctor for another opinion or ask for red flags.

If she’s really worried, get a second opinion.
I didn’t weigh 21lbs until 12 mons. I was a preemie.

Baby’s get a big chubby the 1st year and then they lean out, especially once they are on the move crawling and walking. The important thing is making sure he is getting the correct nutrients from the food now. And worry about his weight later

My son is 3 and barely 27lbs.(8lbs 7oz at birth) My daughter is 6months and almost 14 lbs.
I hate these posts like this :frowning: i have small kids

I breast feed all 3 my babies the weight they gained was all different . All gain weight different. My 2nd baby was 8#s when she 7 pounds when she was born and I only breast feed her. When she went for her 10 day old check up she weight over 16 pounds. They tried to say I was over feeding her. No just milk. I think it depends on the child.

1 Like

Her son is definitely a BIG baby!

My daughter is almost 2 is about 30 lbs (haven’t weighed her since her 18 month shots and was 22 lbs then :joy:) she is small like me :joy:

My son is 18 months old and is 35lbs/35 inches tall while his 4 year old sister isn’t much larger than him. All kids are different.

My son was 20lbs at 6 months old.

My 3 1/2 month old eats 4-5 oz every 3-4 hrs shes 11 lb 8oz. Some babies eat more than others 🤷

My 6 year old is 40lbs and my 4 year old is 40 lbs

I would be worried if my 3 month old weighed 21 lbs too. Does he have a protruding stomach? Like it looks like a Buddha belly but 24/7? If so, I’d get another doctor to take a look.

1 Like

My daughter measured 27 1/2 inches long and weighed 15lbs 10oz at her 4 month checkup. She eats about 6oz of formula every 2 hours. But she was a pretty big baby when she was born; weighing 8lbs 6.5oz.

My son was 11 lbs 4 oz at birth and he’s currently a little over 6 months and eats 8 oz every 4-5 hours and he weighs 21 pounds. And he’s completely healthy, just a bigger baby. Trust me that baby is just fine! As long as the pediatrician and others agree and see nothing wrong with the growth the baby is fine.

A friend of mines son was 22 pounds at 3-4 months and he is completely healthy as well.

Every baby is different and will gain weight difference. Please stop comparing your kids. Like my 3 weights 28 pounds and my 6 year old weight 97 and my 11 year old weight it 95. Stop it y’all

1 Like

Your baby your concerns, het 2nd opinion

My nephew was 18lbs at a year old and healthy, both of my boys were 24lbs at 1 and healthy. Every baby is different.

I believe the important thing dr look for is that they are tracking consistantly on a growth chart

My first daughter weighed 21 pounds at her 1st birthday. My second daughter didn’t hit that weight until she was almost 2. Both were breastfed…all babies are different. It’s sweet that you’re concerned, but if the doctors aren’t concerned, I’m sure baby is fine.

My son is 5 and only 32 pounds. He has always been small, but eats more than me and is very healthy. Some kids just weigh more or less. Its their metabolism or genes. My daughter weighed more than he does now when she was 3. Depends on several factors.

If the doctors aren’t concerned than nothing is wrong. A baby who is 6 lbs when born is going to be smaller at 3 months, than a baby who was 10lbs at birth. And all babies grow differently, if the doctor says all is well than just keep doing what your doing :blush:

1 Like

All my babies were bigger than average. There should not be any concerns! Each child hits growth spurts and mile stones on their own time!

My son is 16 months and weighs 23 lbs and is 31 inches tall. He also has a Buddah belly lol

1 Like

My almost 9yr old just hit 50lbs. Every child is different.

My son is 5 months old weighs 15 pounds and eats about 5-6 every 4/6 hours

If HIS doctors aren’t concerned what business is it of yours?

7 Likes

My 1 year old weighs 25.6 lbs and my 4 year old weighs 38 lbs. Each kid is different.

Both are overfed which could contribute to the weight.

2 Likes

My daughter is 4 months and 11.5lbs

My son is 1 and weighs 24 pounds and my daughter is 2 and weighs 29 all children are different

Every kid is different.

If baby is consistent from birth on his percentile he should be fine. Every baby is different.

Babies are all different, unless her doctor is concerned it’s not an issue. My oldest weighed 20lbs at a year old, my newborn weighs 11lbs at 2 months and is on track to weigh substantially more than her brother did by a year (at this age he weighed barely 8lbs). Both are fine in regards to their growth curves.

1 Like

All babies grow at their own rate. It’s not the weight. It’s their curve at the Drs. Office that they care about. I had a 21 pound 1 year old and I had a 16 pound one year old. They both followed their curves for height and weight and now my 21 pound 1 year old is 20 years old, 5 foot 2 and 120 pounds and my 16 pounder is 16 years old, 5 foot 4 and 110 pounds. Here they are. I never worried a bit.

I have a 15lb 9 month old they’re trying to tell me is underweight, yet healthy. Each person on this planet is different and there shouldn’t be some chart they need to compare to.

My 2 1/2 year old weighs 28 lbs lol hes tall and skinny like his daddy :woman_shrugging:

Well, the 8 month old should be getting less formula and more babyfood or even table food… but if the kids doctor isnt worried why are you if its not your kid?

My cousins kid is almost a year now n way nearly 40 lbs isn’t walking n bearly crawls my son weights 23 lbs is seriously taller an 7 months old yet that baby weighs more I feel it’s the inexperience of the mother usually n always giving milk because they started crying, with my son is was a diaper change first usually why he cried then food every 3 hours I was never the mom that let the baby tell me. He started teething at 3 months n showed similar signs of hunger however he did more biting at the nipple then eating the food n hand chewing i then gave him frozen breast milk or ice for his gums this is just my opinion

Every baby is different

Your baby is fine my 2 year old son weighs 23lbs… he had weighed 20lns from 9 months to over 2 years old… his doctors were never concerned unless he was to lose weight
And both my kids formula and breastfed only weighed around 15lbs at that age… my almost 6month old weighs 15lbs

I have an 11 month, almost a year old and she weighs under 20 pounds… she definitely eats and is healthy. Then I’ve got two babies I work with that are about 6 months old who both weigh around 22 lbs… every baby is different.

My daughter just turned 3 and weighs 28 lbs.

Every baby is different my girl is almost 17 months and only 17 pound