Should kids have a TV on at bedtime?

Should kids go to bed with a TV on? My husband and I have been arguing about this all week. I dont tihnk our toddler needs a tv on and my husband does just because he needs noise when he sleeps…

5 Likes

I let my baby have the tv on with sounds also was like a night light. She still like the tv on even on screen display. She loves it

As a mom of two boys who both now need tv to go to sleep. I would say if he isn’t use to it already don’t let him get into the habit. It’s not easy to break and causes issues with bedtime when they are older. My sons are 5 and 8 my husband talked me into having tvs in there rooms wheen they were younger and it has created problems. We have issues getting them down especially if we are sleeping somewhere they don’t have access to TV at bedtime.

My kids do, I put on iheart radio & they listen to the music while they sleep.

School nights, no. Weekends, why not. But your kiddo is still a toddler. I don’t think it would be a good idea to do that this young. My 6 and 7 year old are allowed to watch the tv at bedtime on weekends. My three year old is not. During the week on school nights it is not allowed at all.

If he needs noise play some light music or try white noise. I enjoy having a loud fan on when I sleep. Pair that or music with one of those night lights that projects stars onto the ceiling that move around. My kiddos loved those.

It’s up to you as their parent. My five year old doesn’t have one in his room but that is purely because it isn’t safe unless on the wall. He has had one previously but he would try pull it down during a meltdown and it became very unsafe to have in there.

Get a sound machine and remove the TV.

1 Like

Up to you :woman_shrugging:t3: I need the tv to sleep, my kids are just little humans too, as long as they are actually falling asleep with it I think it’s fine

I have a kid that can’t sleep with the TV on(6yrs) and one that can’t sleep with the TV off (4yrs) :person_facepalming: they share the same room too lol it sucks. They lay down at 8 I leave it on til about 9 and then it gets shut off whether they like it or not. The one that needs the TV to sleep has learned to fall asleep before I turn it off.

My son falls asleep to fireplace ambiance’s from Hogwarts a few nights a week

There are (white noise/nature sounds) machines for that, that don’t affect them in the same way a TV does. Some even have light shows, sort of speak. (Work as a night light.)
You could run a fan, a ticking clock, play soothing music or sounds, etc. there are better choices out there.

1 Like

Definitely not!
I’m not a mom who restricts screen time or anything by any means! But they definitely don’t need a tv at bed time.
If your kid is one who needs some kind of noise in order to fall asleep, then get a sound machine or a stereo for some music.

2 Likes

We’ve got an Alexa in my 3 yr olds room, and put on lullabies to assist with sleep

No TV in the bedroom. If he needs noise, get a white noise machine. TV will be too stimulating at bedtime and he’ll never get a full night’s sleep.

2 Likes

We always had music for bedtimes for our kids. . We had music boxes and later we had recorded (soothing) music. TV is too stimulating. If they need noise rather than music, get suitable audio books. Not only is it providing background noise but it also sows the seeds of loving books. White noise is also good.

1 Like

Mine needs sound or she’s wide awake

I’m like your husband
I can’t sleep if the telly isn’t on
Just put on some Nature docos
And they will go to sleep

It’s not the healthiest habit to have, but I personally can’t sleep without the noise. I tried white noise, fans, music, etc. It has to be talking, but like actual conversations :sweat_smile: I don’t know why.

I think because when it’s too quiet my mind starts hearing things. Some people are like that. Kids too I’m sure.

6 Likes

My kids don’t sleep without noise. We use the tv to black white noise with a black screen.

Needs noise get a fan and light get a night light my kids are 7 4 and 1 never I don’t allow TV in bedrooms even not even mine bedrooms is for rest and sleep not TV I need Noise to sleep, I use a fan every night.I can’t sleep without it a TV no occasionally we watch a movie before bed but all together once it’s over its off bed time

As a full grown adult that cannot sleep without a tv. Don’t start the habit of you don’t have too. Get a sound machine or put a fan in his room for white noise.

1 Like

I let my littles fall asleep with it on BUT only nature documentaries. That way they have noise but it’s nothing overstimulating, and nothing they wanna stay up watching. :joy::joy: Disney+ has some great options!

some people genuinely need noise. i can’t explain it.

i hated noise when i was younger. now i need it :woman_shrugging:t4:.

set a timer. like if you son goes to bed at 8, set the timer on the tv to turn off at like 10.

2 Likes

for my son if i leave the tv on he will stay up all night watching it, so we have to turn off all electronics & it has to be pitch black or he won’t go to sleep. it’s also good for their bodies to register that when it’s dark in the room it’s bedtime. we did the tv for so long & had much longer nights trying to get him to sleep

He needs a noise machine not tv :sweat_smile:

1 Like

TV only for weekend Friday and Saturday the rest of the week mine uses a Google home mini for white noise(babbling brook sounds). My husband and I use a box fan. It makes it incredibly hard to travel when you start using white noise as you usually can not travel with a box fan and most locations don’t provide so you have to deal with quiet which makes sleeping difficult. If you plan to travel or have child do sleep overs with family or friends I would suggest getting her use to white noise or a specific white noise.

I think it depends on the kid. My daughter would just stay up all night and watch it but we do have a sound machine for her.

Definitely not especially at that age.

1 Like

To each their own. My kids do. Does not bother them in anyway. Their tv also stays on all night.

Get a sound machine, problem solved lol

1 Like

I let my children lay in there bed for 45 with tv their bed time is 7pm. 9 year old and 6 year old. After that they can go to sleep or read a book and normally asleep by 8:30

Because baby needs noise or husband needs noise?

No.
If they need noise. Sound machines are a thing.

I think it’s ok, however you have to let them know that the tv goes off at a set time.

Won’t do no harm long as they go asleep

I can not sleep without my TV on. One of my 6 kids are the same way. Others have to have a fan. If the child is going to sleep and not staying wake for hours just to watch TV I would say it’s okay. Put it on a music channel or something boring.