Should kids have melatonin every night?

My kids are prescribed it but on take it when necessary maybe 2-3 nights a week and definitely not on weekends

If at 3 years old he’s napping for three hours. No wonder he’s up at 6am. Don’t let him nap so long. My kids quit napping at two but they slept good at night.

8 Likes

Cut out the naps and he’ll be super tired by bedtime

3 Likes

It is not gonna hurt him… seriously

Both of my kids quit napping at 2 yrs, I would say that his nap time is too long. I give my kids melatonin nightly, sometimes I take a couple of days break but they sleep good, no problems.

1 Like

Giving children melatonin is setting a bad precedent.

2 Likes

Talk to your pediatrician.

2 Likes

Kids three and younger who are healthy don’t need it. The sleep patten is usually behavior

3 Likes

Cut the nap time to see how that affects them, but melatonin is fine to give kids!

2 Likes

Personally not a fan of drugging my kids… I agree with the above about maybe cutting out or shortening his nap… my girl (kid 4) naps once a day for maybe 1.5 hours and sleeps the night… my nefew was given melatonin nightly and when he came to live with me at 11, I refused to give it to him and he slept fine when he was here… but he went from an only child to a house of 4 kids :laughing: just my 2 cents

You should talk to your pediatrician. If you have to rely on melatonin every single night, then your kids body will react to it, and their body will start relying on it instead of producing it on its own.

My children get really hyper at night time, so to help wind them down, we do our bath right before bed. Then brush teeth. Some parents are going to be against it, but we put a tv in our kids room with YouTube, so they can have lullabies at night. I recommend Hey Bear! Its just music and depending on the video, fruits, hearts, etc. Will dance around the screen.

But you need to talk to the pediatrician if you’re using melatonin.

That’s a LONG nap he is taking. I would shorten it it like 11- 1230 at the latest or try to take it out completely, but I know that is hard. If this doesn’t work, then I would talk about the melatonin. Talk to your son’s dr. At first I didn’t want to give it to them, not because I thought it was bad or anything, just didn’t. But it came down to needing to. My first has adhd and my second is autistic, and hyper as heck. It was hard getting them to bed at any reasonable time. So I gave in and had them take it. It helped TONS. I don’t recommend giving them to your child long-term/every day. It’s not that they get addicted or anything, but there are side effects of long term everyday use. My second got headaches when he woke up and the only difference was the melatonin, I stopped giving it to him and it cleared up in a day. So, at this point in time I only use them to get them back on a schedule (slowly of course) and when they reeeealy need it.

Both my boys take melatonin most nights, they can still fall asleep without it, just the nights they can’t seem to get out all the wiggles from the day, they have gone long stretches without it as well and no issues, melatonin isn’t habit forming, but if you are still concerned I would discuss it with your pediatrician😊 every child is different, best of luck to you Mama, he may just be going through a phase where he no longer needs a mid day nap as well, both my boys did the same roughly around his age, their nap time was limited to no more than 2 hours.

5 Likes

If you read the label on the gummies it says not to give every night. I only give them to my son when he is struggling to fall asleep, so not very often. Do not become dependent on them. I suggest dropping the nap or shortening it.

I’d say shorten the nap or cut it completely my 3 year old cut.out nap time.himself about a year ago and he’s always thr first one passed out around 830 Come bed time

1 Like

Melatonin isn’t a drug. It is a natural thing that our body makes. We have been giving it to my oldest since 2 off and on. She has adhd and has trouble calming down at night. Her 5 year old little sister has had it off and on since she was 3. We never give it for longer than 2 weeks without taking a break if a few days. We give less than the recommended dose, 1/2 a milligram is what she ends up taking. You could always try it and if it don’t work then don’t continue.

1 Like

A nice soak in a warm bath and then let the water slowly drain with him in it will help with bed time. The warmth and draining will help relax him

Cut out that 3 hour nap

3 Likes

Some children lack the ability to produce enough melatonin naturally to be able to fall asleep. I would shorten the nap to 1 hr, get a .5 mg gummie and child can use those. It’s just a small kick start to help produce naturally. Within a week or so, chances are his body should start producing it naturally.

I agree with those saying to stop the naps. I have 5 and each one of them I would have to stop putting down for naps around the age of 2. If they’d fall asleep even at noon they’d be up forever!

2 Likes

You need to drop his nap

Not for every night use. Once in a while is fine or they too won’t work unless you up the amount and too much melatonin is not good. For girls, melatonin effects fertility if taken for a long period. Keep in mind, it is a hormone our body produce on its own and effects another hormones such as serotonin. Please talk to the doctor before deciding to give melatonin for long periods at a time.

1 Like

My son’s speech therapist suggested to me to set up an indoor obstacle course and include it as part of his nighttime routine for both my 2 and 4 year old boys. We have only been doing it for a week, but it has been a big help to where after they have done it 3 or 4 times they are ready to lay down and go to bed.

Our neurologist told us that the ONLY reason our son (9yrs.) Should take 1mg per night is to keep his routine. But not to increase the dosage. He has been on 1mg for about 5 years. (He has an epilepsy-BRE where his seizures are partly affected by his sleep) But she did also say that a normal child should not take it daily OR continously increase the dosage

1 Like

Just from a quick Google search…

Nope wouldn’t drug my children to sleep
Not safe …

2 Likes

I give melatonin to my two year old most nights. But I also tried cutting nap. We have a solid routine so it wasn’t that. Keeping him up later. Nap is at 10am to 11 am. Bed and bath start at 730 pm. No TV no nothing. He still wasn’t sleeping more than an hour. My pediatrician said right now the benefits outweigh the risk. So he gets it nightly. Wasn’t ideal but at almost 3 we were both going nuts not getting sleep. He now gets to sleep at 8. Up at 2 am. Told to go back to bed and he is back up at 4am. I have given up on sleeping after 4 am. Which isn’t a big deal he is prepping me for his new sister. I would cut down nap and talk to his doctor. While natural it’s not good to at least make his doctor aware of what you are doing.

I have a 3 year old he will be 4 this month so I know what you mean about energetic I have to get up at 5am to be at work at 6am and my husband has to be at work at 7 so with no sleep it’s a nightmare!! We tried melatonin also and like you it just makes me nervous… so what I did is cut out nap time. He also gets up around 6 am I keep him awake all day when I get home at 3 pm I make sure he plays extra hard jumping on the trampoline running playing fetch with our dog playing in his pool ect . By 8oclock at night he is out like a light . Dancing around the house is another thing that tires him out…lol

1 Like

Melatonin isn’t to help you stay asleep it’s not to help you fall asleep. I’ve been giving my son melatonin every night for over a year now and he’s four because if I don’t he won’t go to sleep till 1:00 in the morning and he was like that before the melatonin

It’s time to drop the nap momma. My son is the same way. He will crash at bedtime.

On the label of all melatonin it does say not to give daily it will eventually mess up the natural production our body has. I give to my daughter every so often. I would cut down nap time to no more than a hour, 3 hours is a bit long. Good luck and I hope you find the best solution that works.

1 Like

If given every night over long periods of time his body won’t produce as much of it and he won’t sleep ever without it.

2 Likes

Absolutely NOT. I would use it on sundays and maybe if you really need him to go to sleep. Not days in a row.

2 Likes

Stop the naps, cut out sugars

1 Like

The kiddo is almost 3. He really doesn’t need a nap. This is why you can not get him to sleep at night. Stop the naps and you will see the difference at bedtime.

5 Likes

I’ve been in pharmacy most of my adult life. There’s SO MUCH misinformation here. Smh.

5 Likes

Sound like you need to reduce the nap time 40min to 1.5 hrs. Is most common for that age. Some don’t even take naps. Melatonin shouldn’t be taken daily. Good luck momma. I hope asking this question and collecting answers was helpful.

1 Like

Let’s drug our kids so our job is easier.

2 Likes

Ask your child’s pediatrician. Our bodies produce this naturally.

1 Like

Take the nap out my kids stoped napping at 2. And they sleep better at night. They R older now but i had no naps after 2.

4 Likes

Y’all mama some lazy asses. Research the long terms affects. Cant believe so many of you give your kids melatonin on a daily basis. Stop having kids if you cant deal with all the energy that comes with them

All of my kids have had melatonin. And I give it to them the same time every night. There for their body is retrained to get tired at that time. My 9 year old used to take it and so did my 15 year old. Now my 3 year old takes it the same time every night. Melatonin is a natural supplement, our body produces it. It’s better then Benadryl…

I think this would be a question for his pediatrician.

1 Like

Shorten the length of naptime

I would just cut the day time nap. Set his bed time and don’t give him any distractions. Eventually they’ll fall asleep on their own. That’s what I did with my son. Not melatonin. I was miserable. I work swing shifts. But he Eventually got into a pattern. Now he rarely stays up past 8pm (weekdays) 10pm (weekends). He’s also up no later than 8. Kids need a routine and for you to keep on top of it as much as possible. I don’t believe in medicating unless absolutely needed.

Id suggest cutting out his nap and seeing if that helps with bedtime first before giving melatonin at all, especially every night

1 Like

Try warm milk at bedtime. Eliminate stimulating activities close to bedtime. Read the story. Baby will go to sleep. And the naps are your worst enemy.

1 Like

I’m not a medical provider but from what I’ve read is your body naturally produces melatonin. If given it frequently your body will think it doesn’t need to continue production. Ive never given it to my kids personally. Is he getting enough mental fatigue? Sounds like you got the physical under control but he needs mental stimulation that will tire him out as well

1 Like

My 3 almost 4 year old gets melatonin daily… but he has spd and ADHD.
The more tired he gets the wound up he gets.
He wouldn’t sleep.
However it’s given under doctor supervision and after we’d tried other suggestions for improving sleep.
Primarily this was reducing/cutting out naps during the day and Structured bedtime routine…with wind down time.
Sleeping too much during the day can affect sleep for anyone. That is where I would start. Keep Naptime at 11 but get him up no later than 12.
Make sure he’s active during the day and doing lots of activities with large scale muscle movements.

3 Likes

A 3 year old shouldn’t need a 3 hour nap!!! Restrict it to an hour tops if he really NEEDS a nap (grumpy, etc)! That’s one big problem why he isn’t sleeping! Try having a “bed movie.” Have a TV in his bed room and play a movie every night to help him learn to stay in his bed. A calmer movie will also help his brain unwind. Most nights, it works with our 4 boys as a transition period. They have a bed snack, then movies in their beds. They’ve done it since they were very young! It’s all about routine! Also try baths right before bed. Rub some lavender lotion on him too.

2 Likes

My son does and he’s fine

2 Likes

Melatonin didnt work for my 2 year old so his dr got him
Hydroxyzine… 2.5ml
He has mental and physical issues but it works great

It’s called cut the nap out.

4 Likes

The body will forget how to make its own melatonin, and you’ll need more and more as time goes on. Once in awhile is good but not every night.

Yes & no. Some kids just don’t seem to make enough but taking every single night can mess with their ability to let their body correct it. It’s a hormone & based on research I’ve read, I’d like to see more studies on helping children sleep without it but there’s not a whole lot on “hormone correction” for children. :pensive:

I gave my son it to help get him retrained to be in bed by 8 ish. And we also took naps out

I have 5 kids and have never used it.

No. Not at all. I can throw off the body‘s natural production and backfire.

My almost three year old hardly naps. Maybe don’t let him nap?

3 Likes

I have a 6 and almost 4 year old they split a gummy melatonin every night otherwise they want to stay up and talk in bed all night. Their doctor said it was ok and no big deal for them to have it!

3 Likes

Make changes to the diet first …calm down around suppertime

Only if their pediatrician/ family Dr gives you the okay.

I took my son to a behavioral therapist to see if he had spd. I mentioned to her that he would not sleep no matter what I did. She told me I could give my 3 year old up to 20mg of melatonin a night. She said it would not affect him being able to make it himself. She said some people just dont make natural melatonin like everybody else. He gets 2.5mg a night. It has been a lifesaver not just for me but for him too.

2 Likes

There is Bath stuff that has it in it. when I give my sun a bath I uses it I works. There is a soap and powder Kind.

I have to have a difference in daily life at least once a week for my daughter and it actually helps alot, i.e. going on a different route for our walk, random movie night, random swimming day, zoo, etc.

We also cut out long naps 2 years ago, and she just started taking them again. Bedtime is still rough some nights but it’s a hell of alot better than it was. Itll get better, you’re doing good momma.

And if you are on the fence or feeling guilty about giving a child melatonin, 8 oz of tart cherry juice or a handful of pistachios will give you the same amount as children’s gummies.

Some of y’all going on hear say in these comments I see :weary::rofl: y’all don’t know we have melatonin in us naturally :woman_facepalming:t2: look it up the the Dictionary!! Its production increases with evening darkness, promoting healthy sleep and helping to orient our circadian rhythm. The body naturally produces melatonin!! And my kids has never had them because their sleep schedule is good! But I wish I knew about them with my 20 and 18 year old as kids because the doctor prescribed them Benadryl to help with their sleep pattern :unamused:

1 Like

Its not crazy. They can build up a tolerance for it. Its not good to use it because our body wont remember when to produce it.

4 Likes

My kids are 3&4. Cut the naps and have a routine. 7pm bath, brush teeth, etc…730/8 TV/tablet/read or whatever your preference then lights out and close the door.

1 Like

Ask the Dr if every night is ok? My pediatrician acted like it wouldn’t hurt them to have it every night but I feel the same as you and we try to use it sparingly!

I give my kids between .5mg to 1mg. It helps them fall asleep faster. I change the doses up and usually don’t give it to them on weekends.

There are no negative side effects of taking melatonin that i have heard or know about and ive researched it alot. it is pretty common for drs to recommend it. If your worried about him taking it, then maybe only give it to him sunday-thursday or the night before you work and not the nights before your days off. Start with the smallest dosage and only add more if needed. Is what most doctors recommended.

2 Likes

Also look at lighting. The more full spectrum lights like bright white and sunlight bulbs 4k snd 5K daylight bulbs put off blue spectrum which supresses melatonin production. You might shift to more warm lighting (2700K) and keep lighting levels low as you wind down.

2 Likes

Cut back on his nap time. An hour for bed start relaxing. Movie or reading books. Lavender scented bath soap

1 Like

The naps need to stop. Only way I can get my toddlers to sleep at a decent time is if I don’t give them a nap. If they have one, they’ll be up late, late.

1 Like

I wouldn’t do it every night. We don’t and it works better that way. My Dr explained it like, your body produces melitonin, if you keep giving it to your body other then letting your body produce its own every night and at a high dosage. It’ll cut down making it and you’ll have to rely on the gummies or tabs. So . Small dosage 1-3 mg. Next day 1mg . Then stop few days when sleep pattern gets wack again of over stimulated, get back on it. And wean again so the body can start boost making it itself.

1 Like

Start by skipping or reducing nap and make sure he gets extra large motor play every day. I have one child that uses melatonin as needed during the school year because his adhd makes it difficult to fall asleep and he functions better at school when he is well rested. But we try to make sure he is physically active to naturally encourage his body to be tired.

Don’t cut the nap - he needs mid day rest - my son napped until he was in full day kindergarten @5.5 years old. We use melatonin on weekends a lot for when we are at the lake house when our kids are all sleeping in one big room. It’s hard for them to settle with their cousins and friends around. Our doctor said it was normal

My Dr told me to do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off until my daughter got into a routine of going to sleep. We did that for about 4 months. She no longer has to have it.

1 Like

Nobody should be giving children melatonin.
Melatonin needs to be made naturally by the body. When you introduce it synthetically, you’re telling your body to forget to produce it. This causes a problem, especially into adolescence when melatonin production also assists in puberty. It can actually prohibit proper puberty development.
The lack of natural melatonin production has also shown to cause mental health disorders such as bipolar and bpd.

Really, really, really hope you do more research.

6 Likes

Pretty sure the bottle of melatonin specifically says it can become an issue if given every night.

What you have done so far is the correct way to use it. As a supplement.

1 Like

No get off your lazy a** and take them outside or to the park. Let them run off the energy. Why TF y’all keep giving your kids meds to sleep. Smh.

5 Likes

Reduce sugar intake, if any

Cut the nap out let him get out the energy.

If you’re giving a synthetic hormone, you body won’t know what healthy and appropriate levels of it are to create naturally.

Stop. Giving. Him. Synthetic. Crap.

4 Likes

Kelli Jo Alexis McElheny

1 Like

No sugar after 4pm , no red dyes.

Just cut his nap out or down. Melatonin gives me horrible nightmares.

It’s half a serving people. Not that big of a deal. Hope you never deal with an autistic and/or adhd child like I have. He does need it every night. Per doctor’s recommendation. My kid is 5. Otherwise he’d literally not sleep at all. And he doesn’t get a full dose either. And when I say he won’t sleep at all? I mean for days on end.

8 Likes

Stop with the naps mama and he should relax at bedtime better.

Only let him nap maybe an hour day

Definitely not. I will give it to my son for a few days in a row if needed… like he had a late nap or his days were thrown off because of being busy… but I then stop after like 3 days max. But if you do it daily, your body will become dependent on it and you won’t make your own.

3 Likes

No. It can cause long term sleep issues as his body will become dependent on it.
It can disrupt puberty because it’s a hormone and can interrupt the natural hormone cycle.
It can cause major depression issues as most OTC versions have serotonin and your child’s body will become dependent on that feel good hit in higher and higher levels to not have a depression crash the next day.
It’s an awful medication because of how overused and wrongly used it is and studies show that in children it makes them fall asleep and average of eleven minutes faster… not worth the risk.
Cut the nap wayyyyy back before all that and see what happens.

1 Like

He won’t necessarily get dependent on it it will just stop working over time. All melatonin vitamins are is a factory made sleep aid of a chemical our body is supposed to produce naturally. Some people including myself lack that chemical in our bodies and require something to help us go to sleep and stay asleep. I wouldn’t give it to him every night so that way his body is able to get a break in between or it will eventually not work anymore. I know this from experience. There are other things like kids sleepy time tea it has certain herbs in it that help promote relaxing and winding down to fall asleep that he can drink the nights he doesn’t take the melatonin.

2 Likes

No the can have psychotic break

3 Likes

Give him a banana before bedtime. He’ll sleep through the night!

Try cutting out naps or only do short naps

Sounds like it might be time to drastically shorten or cut out his nap

Melatonin causes my 7 yr old to have serious night terrors where she’s running from me n trying to exit the house (she has gone outside i now have safety handles on doors) but my 12 yr old has never had an issue. Just know it can cause issues for some kids.

1 Like

First- no to the melatonin every night… he will become dependent.

Second- maybe skip the puzzle and learning activity before bed. It can stimulate his brain and get it amped up and what you’re wanting is for his brain to relax and wind down so he can go to sleep.

3 Likes