Should my daughter approach the kid at t-ball?

we play teeball and there is a kid who just cried the whole time at practice didn’t want to talk to anyone or do anything with practice…my daughter wanted to go up to him and just say hey this is my name let’s be friends…do u think he has anxiety and that would make it worse? Or would that be good?

40 Likes

I think it would be sweet.

3 Likes

Your daughter is awesome! I think that would be a wonderful idea

2 Likes

I think he would appreciate it

2 Likes

I would get my child to. But if the kid cried the whole time at practice and didn’t want to participate, it kinda sounds like to me that maybe the kid doesn’t even like the sport and maybe the parents are making them do it? Just a thought though…

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

I don’t think it would hurt to try! She could make a lifelong friend that way

2 Likes

I don’t think it would hurt to try

2 Likes

That boy sounds like my son 2 weeks ago at t-ball… and when a little boy approached him, he told him to go away :sob: so I had to have a talking with him about that…

It wouldn’t hurt to try. But was he crying cause his parents left him there for the practice and took off till practice was over or he’s being forced to play when he doesn’t want to play it. I know my son would have meltdowns if I wasn’t there at practices watching so I stayed and he got so much better.

1 Like

Your daughter is awesome! Yes she should go up to him but let her know to respect whatever he says.

3 Likes

I think it would be great. Just make sure to read the situation as its happening, and if the kid seems overwhelmed have her back off a little

1 Like

It wouldn’t hurt for her to do that. It might be a case where a parent made that kid play t-ball and it’s all new to him and he’s scared. Possibly depending on the size of your town and kids age group, he might not know any of the kids on his team so he’s doubled stressed out.

Your daughter is so sweet! It doesn’t hurt to try

2 Likes

It’s sweet of her to want to help. Why not? Just warn her that he may reject her offer of friendship because he’s embarrassed for crying. That way she doesn’t get her feelings hurt.

3 Likes

In my opinion I think it’s great way to befriend him and possibly help him calm his nerves a little. With some kids it has helped although some may react differently you never know unless you try. Until he makes friends and opens up it’s a start.

4 Likes

I think he would like it, or maybe he doesn’t like the sport?

1 Like

Tell her to do it, but also tell her that is ok if the boy doesn’t want to talk

3 Likes

That just breaks my heart! I would go have a little chat maybe the child will say something

I’m not a doctor i can’t make a diagnosis on that little information you’ve given, kids gravitate towards other kids that they resonate with, if your daughter wanted to make friends with him she would have done so in a natural not needing their parents confused approval

Yes she should go to him. Offer her friendship.

That would be so kind of her encourage that!

1 Like

Your daughter sounds wonderful, I would suggest going up at the next game before he has the chance to get overwhelmed. This way he may be more open to having a conversation. At the point where he is crying, he may be embarrassed and tell your daughter to go away.

1 Like

Where was this kid’s mom or responsible person to this child? Did the coach or any other adult try to engage positively with him??? Or just let him cry the whole time???

I would let my kid try to talk to him. Maybe try to see if you can find the parent one day and speak to them. Don’t be nosy just hey my kid noticed your kid was upset and we were thinking about trying a play date or something along the lines.

I think it’s a great idea

That is so sweet that your daughter is so thoughtful. I don’t think it would hurt to try. We are struggling with the same thing with my son at his soccer. He is shy annd gets anxious when too many kids get there. I don’t know that in the moment it would change anything for my son if he was to have another child approach him but as parents it would give his dad and I something positive to talk to him about and perhaps might help him moving forward.

let her go and be with the kid

Girls are always the ones to support and befriend the neglected kids particularly boys

2 Likes

You really need to ask that question

Obviously your daughter has compassion for her team mate
And wants to reach out to him
Please encourage her to do it

Absolutely! I am sure he would appreciate having a friend there.

1 Like

It won’t hurt to try

She should definitely try we all need a friend

Yes! Do it! My kiddo at her first soccer practice, did the same thing. And I so wished that anyone would have came up to her, and did that. She ended up going the next practice and it was all completely good. But I think it would help

1 Like

I think she should talk to him. He might have lost his favorite puppy or something

It would be his decision to say no if so wouldn’t hurt though :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes let her approach him. See how it goes. He may just be afraid to make friends. Tell her not to be pushy though. Some people don’t like to be social.

Try! Probably will help

Encourage her to do it!! If he ends up not wanting to talk or anything, explain to her that that is ok and she did a great thing by just trying to be there. :woman_shrugging:t2: