Should my husband quit?

My husband has 3 homes he does lawn maintance for on the weekends and he has this one man who is hardly ever home so most of the time he’s not there when my husband goes. He pays him 300 to go 2 times a month on the weekend and my husband has never missed or been late when he said he was coming. But on the man’s end, he never pays him on time when the work is done. We are having to constantly remind him a few days later when it was agreed payment would happen after work was done. I tell my husband that he needs to send the man a message after he is done so he knows and all the man says is ok thanks and doesn’t send the money until we ask a few days later. It’s good extra money but I feel like my husband should let go of this home because I hate he doesn’t fight for his money and it’s always during times we are struggling and depending on that money when this happens. What would be a nice way to approach the man( my husband, not me) and ask that he be mindful that we have bills to pay and when we expect to be paid. BTW he sends the payment through venmo so it’s definitely bothering to always have to remind him to send it

12 Likes

Send a couple days before and remind him that on whatever date the amount of money will be do by a certain time

1 Like

My husband also works in lawn care and just going to say that $300 for 2 days of work is pretty generous. I’m assuming this property is quite large for that rate. Have client sign a contract that states additional fees will be added for late payments. That’s usually a good way of getting folks to pay on time

6 Likes

I own a landscape company and if a customer is late on payment I make my guys knock on the door if payment is not made for last time and the time they are mowing we stop mowing until payment is made. You can be nice about getting it. My guys usually have me on the phone and I just talked to the cousin about it and they usually understand and pay. Just communicate with him before you drop a good customer

1 Like

I understand this… Being the nice guy will only have your service abused. If your costumers can’t agree to pay beforehand or within 24 hours of your work. The service should be denied.
You don’t have to be harsh, just serious and firm .Because time is money. And there will always be someone else who needs this service and would probably pay more for your time. Best of luck with your business.

I’d make this specific person pay up front.

3 Likes

I would remind him a couple days ahead of time that you will be there… and payment will be due by…

1 Like

Can say something like “hey is there a way we can set up a plan to either pay up front before the job or set up something with direct deposit. It’s important I get paid on time.”

3 Likes

My mom’s boyfriend does lawns on the side. He had the same issue. He just started having everybody pay up front. They send the money he goes and does the yard. If they don’t he don’t. They’ll pay when they want it done or the can find somebody else.

2 Likes

Make it so the lawn must be paid for beforehand

9 Likes

Why don’t you let the man know before you’re coming so he knows you’re coming. Maybe he will leave the money so when the work is done instead of calling him after 

1 Like

Give him a contract that he needs to sign stating exactly this. Explain that if not paid on time a week is given with interest. Make sure it’s in the contract.
Try it. If not let it go

2 Likes

Payment upfront or work won’t be completed. If he can’t pay upfront every time due to scheduling then payment for a month or more upfront.

1 Like

Also gonna add 300 is great for two days a month. If he consistently pays and just has to be reminded it could be that he is extremely busy and just has a million things going on. Shooting a reminder shouldn’t be a big deal…now if he’s reminded then wants to get ugly or give y’all the run around then I understand that being a problem.

You can’t be nice to people that know they are taking advantage. Maybe half before ans half after.

1 Like

Is he sending a payment request through Venmo? I would do that for sure. I’m not sure how to get people to actually care about others and sending it on time though :grimacing:

Make them pay the first of the month, if not received by the first you will consider canceling services.

1 Like

That’s definitely annoying. BUT if this guy has consistently still paid then I’d go and just get used to it. $300 is nice to have extra. Tell him the day before you go that you are going. Even if the guy knows. Just so you have record. We just send a Venmo request when we do stuff and if they forget we go on Venmo and hit the remind button lol

1 Like

Honestly are some of these sent in as satire?!

Do a money request when he’s done. But that’s pretty good pay

I would start having this customer pay in advance.

If your husband is being paid through Venmo, the customer being home or not is irrelevant, since you can send money through Venmo from anywhere, as long as you have your phone in your hand.

I would suggest having your husband reach out to this guy 2 days before he goes over with “I will be over to do your yard on X day. Please send payment through Venmo prior to my arrival. If payment has not been received, I will be unable to cut your grass”

If that works, great. If it doesn’t and this issue continues, then yeah, I would drop him as a customer.

2 Likes

So…instead of having this extra money (maybe a day or two late) you’d rather have your husband quit and not get it at all?
Make it make sense please

2 Likes

Send the man a message from husbands phone when he gets in the shower. Why should u struggle when pmt needs to be made he got the service pay up. Venmo is instant.

Maybe he pays you when he gets paid? Ask what day is best for him to pay? Is he older possibly has health problems?

It makes no sense to drop the house unless he has another house he could be doing. Otherwise it’s waisted time. Welcome to the world of accounts receivable.

1 Like

Write up a new agreement. He pays a month in advance and if your husband needs to reschedule a week (weather or he’s sick) following month will be credited.

Give a months notice to this change. If the customer can’t meet those requirements. Then he can look else where

I’d set up like professional invoices if the payment isn’t due at time of service( which for that task it should be with no exceptions) but a professional invoice left at the door and also sent through email. Specify when payment is due etc. People will take advantage of services like this because they are normally under the table.

1 Like

This is a steady payment just late. Your husband should ask the customer why he pays days later and not when the job is complete.

I have a similar issue with a woman I baby sit for , she pays me every two week but sometimes she doesn’t pay me on time or do not pay me the whole amount.
( she always pays me though) some times just not on time .
Well , her daughter was away for a few months and she got her back and texted me because she needed me , I told her that I was more than happy to watch her but that this time she will have to pay me for the two weeks in front .

She agree and problem solve

Why doesn’t he just send a request thru venmo? And id request the money the day before the work is done from now on, husband has proven to ve reliable so there shouldn’t be a issue with that

Have your husband text / call the client the morning of and let him know that he is headed over to do his lawn , and I’ll text you and let you know when I’m done so you can venmo the payment. Thanks , I appreciate it !

1 Like

Most lawn maintenance is billed monthly. I would just gently remind him, Iike he has been. If he let’s go of this account, you won’t ever get the money. Better late than never.
Or… replace him before dropping him.

I’d just have him state with going into the new year some policies have to be changed. Payment is due before arrival

1 Like