Should we allow booze at our wedding?

Pot gummies… that’s a compromise… :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Have a drinking area for those who want to drink.

Me and my boyfriend have decided to not have alcohol for the same reason. If the rest of my guests are seriously upset on OUR day about having to be sober, then they can kick rocks. I have loved ones who have put in a lot of work for their recovery and I respect that highly

7 Likes

We did all alcohol and also a couple cases of non alcoholic beers and sparkling wine for toasts

My fiancé and I have talked about this. A good portion of our family are LDS. Some are not and a lot of close friends drink. We decided to do a reception that opened bar at 7:30 a couple hours after the first bit of the reception and just let everyone know they were welcomed to stay, but there would be alcohol present at a certain point

8 Likes

You could have a designated drinking area. I’m not sure how the venue is set up but you could ask guests to keep the alcoholic drinks in the bar area or have a “bar tent”

1 Like

I used to be what folks called an alcoholic. Never went to therapy for it or anything but now? I go places where it’s available even folks ask to buy me drinks, but I don’t drink it bc I’m an adult and I choose not to. Everyone there are adults and can make that choice for themselves. You don’t need to babysit them.

9 Likes

Have the booze or have a lame reception, your choice :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cash bar and only provide select beverages!

My fiancé and I don’t drink. Neither do most of our friends but our families do. We are still having an open bar. People in recovery shouldnt be catered to we have to learn to live with that. Also even sober it would be more fun to be at a wedding with alcohol then without

3 Likes

Of course allow booze. I’m a recovering alcoholic. The family in recovery wouldn’t be able to go to the market or gas station if they couldn’t be around alcohol. Now, being around drinkers is different. Maybe inform the drinking side that there are some folks coming who don’t drink and just ask that they respect that. Let everyone know so they can make their own decisions as to what they are comfortable with (or not). I’ve gone to tons of “drinking” functions-just know when to leave.

4 Likes

Choose just 2. Beer and wine? Beer and mimosas?

1 Like

Just do beer and wine leave the hard liquor out

3 Likes

You can’t please everyone but I understand both sides it’s yals and everyone else should just be happy to be there for you! Recovering addicts will face this many times it’s not your place to keep them sober! Have your bar open and let the one’s who want to drink do so!

7 Likes

I never have alcohol at any of my parties and l let them know ahead of time . If they don’t like it then don’t come :woman_shrugging:
Get buzzed on your time or before you come . I lived all my life around alcoholics and not putting my kids through that

3 Likes

I don’t think everyone should have to go without because some people can’t handle it.

Remember in school when the teacher punished the whole class for the acts of a few… Remember what BS it was?

2 Likes

I understand what everyone saying but you want a peaceful night for yourself. I totally get that. There’s no compromise there it’s either drink or no drink, maybe party the next day with both of your friends? lots of people do that here

Everyone who’s probably attending are ADULTS, sure they can make their own decisions. Don’t ruin his day trying to accommodate your family. Have fun!

2 Likes

Have seperate venues

Why not a champagne fountain? Or set up a cash bar. The wedding is his as well, not just your day. I understand both sides. There should be compromise from BOTH people

1 Like

Marijuana brownies :wink:

3 Likes

Include a dry bar as well. With mocktails and non alcoholic beer

3 Likes

Its not possible to avoid alcohol completely.
You could have separate areas at the bar or make sure people are sat with drinkers /non drinkers at the meal to avoid mixup when serving tables. Mention with all invites what the arrangements are for serving drinks /seating and those who feel they cant attend the reception could still come to the church to see you married …maybe the first hour of the reception is alcohol free…serve non alcoholic and soft drinks for the toast and allow people to decide for themselves .

I’m SO GLAD I had no alcohol at my wedding!!! My step mother is an addict and ruined our pre-wedding BBQ. GLAD she couldn’t do it to our wedding too

1 Like

Allow it. People need to be responsible for themselves.

5 Likes

It’s unfortunate for the recovering folk but others shouldn’t have to miss out because of their poor life choices. They need to learn to live with their addictions so hiding them away from alcohol isn’t the answer. A dry wedding wouldn’t be as much fun for his party loving family

2 Likes

Honestly, I’d allow alcohol. As a recovering addict myself it is my responsibility to handle my sobriety. No one is obligated to change theirs actions to make me more comfortable. If anything instead of an open bar do BYOB so that those who plan on drinking can just bring their own.

8 Likes

We didn’t allow alcohol at our wedding and we had it at a Moose Lodge lol. It’s better all around. There’s no fighting or anything like that

2 Likes

He should be disrespectful and no alcohol whatsoever
We had same situation kinda not to mention it’s expensive.

PS Just an extra liability too

I wouldn’t… brides parents pay for most of wedding usually… if he insists …he can pay… plus have to have a police officer on duty if alcohol is served most places…

You could always do a cash bar, and then provide non alcoholic beverages.
That way anyone who wants to drink, pays/orders themselves.
And everyone else can just grab what they want!

6 Likes

We did Beer & Wine only and there was a cash bar on premises as well. No one complained. Recovering alcoholics have to combat temptation all of the time; I think you’re thinking too much into it.

5 Likes

No alcohol, his friends and family being bored is better than someone breaking their sobriety/ leaving their loved ones hurt again until they get it under control. There are others things you can have.

5 Likes

Personally I’d expect my fiance to be supportive of the fact that family members are recovering and that I would enjoy OUR day best without it. And tbh with regards to guest let them know in advance it’s booze free if they choose not to come purely because of that and miss xelecrati your day it’s their loss xxx

4 Likes

Don’t make a big deal and it won’t be a big deal. Make the alcohol available for those who want to drink. Chances are, the “partiers” will keep to one grouping.

It is a festive occasion to celebrate … let everyone celebrate in their own way!

6 Likes

And the fun of marriage begins

1 Like

:joy: this is a troll post surely if they can’t be around alcohol they ain’t welcome

5 Likes

I hate alcohol… really really hate it. I was abused by a drunk so when I say hate, I mean hate…

Hubby wants it at HIS wedding so you shld comprise. Do like said above… dinner, flower toss, memory moments ect. Then the people who need to stay away from it can leave and the people who want to stay and enjoy can consume. It’s not your hubby’s job or responsibility to keep others away from alcohol, that’s the individuals responsibly

3 Likes

I would do cash bar. It should be up to them :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

I would just make it a cash bar , so the option is there for the ones that do want to drink and you don’t end up paying for it

4 Likes

Cash bar? If you want to drink you pay and get like a wrist band or something and if you don’t then don’t. Everyone is an adult and should be able to handle themselves accordingly

3 Likes

I say allow it but you could make a non alcoholic signature drink. Not everyone is at the same level some people drink, I myself and my husband do not. We chose to stop. Having a dry wedding is unfair to people who choose to drink. For a toast you could always use non alcoholic champagne like martinellis

2 Likes

I told the people at my wedding it was BYOB. That way I saved on the cost for alcohol (we provided some) but people who wanted/needed to drink spent their own money on their drinks. And the people who didn’t drink or didn’t bring any could have what we provided or none at all depending on their preference.

3 Likes

Honestly, if that many of your family struggles with that, I wouldn’t have it. It’s a wedding, not a rave. Maybe the ones who want to drink could go somewhere after?

3 Likes

Bring your own beverage? Provide some beer maybe?

If the people that are recovering are doing it properly and following the steps. This is one of the steps that they have to follow. And they’re gonna have to be around alcohol anyway regardless if they’re at a restaurant or in a store or wherever. They could just as easily go down to the liquor store and buy the alcohol themselves

11 Likes

No. Don’t put temptation in front of your family! Your family’s sobriety is more important than his getting drunk! You don’t want that on your hands.

4 Likes

Your fiance should understand your reasoning for not wanting alcohol at your wedding. His friends could drink later with him.

1 Like

Beer and wine no liquor

2 Likes

CASH bar only. That way the drunks can drink, with their own money. If people come to your wedding, don’t make it be for the “free unlimited booze”. Period.

8 Likes

You aren’t supposed to make exceptions for addicts. It’s their recovery.

18 Likes

BYOB, cheaper for you anyway.

4 Likes

It’s all about compromising.

1 Like

Have it. Ultimately you and your SO are not responsible for anyone’s recovery. It’s a wedding, it should be a given that theirs more then likely going to be alcohol.

Id just give them a heads up, & add in other options that they can drink.
Just make sure that you have two separate tables that indicate that one table is alcohol free, or something like that.

Keep it with wine and beer no hard liquor

1 Like

We had the wedding and reception without alcohol and a “after party” for those who wanted to drink.

1 Like

Go ahead and have the booze. It’s a wedding

2 Likes

What if you have an area roped off like beer garden ? If drinking they have to stay within there.

2 Likes

There shouldn’t be alcohol, there could be an “after party” for his friends that party. It’s not right to trigger them on purpose.

2 Likes

Wedding shouldn’t have alcohol. It’s a special day for the bride and groom. You can say if they want to drink they bring their own because your not going to supply it because of your family.

4 Likes

Do a cash bar then . It isn’t your job to babysit the adults. They know if they shouldn’t drink.

11 Likes

My husband and I had been sober for 5 months at the time of our wedding & opted for a dry reception. My family doesn’t drink & his does like crazy. They literally left my reception to go drink at the hotel :frowning:

3 Likes

I’d say cash bar or beer and wine. Temptation is always going to be around them. If they’re dedicated to following the steps the will keep progressing forward. Everyone should be able to have a good time despite what other peoples issues are.

8 Likes

Recovering Alcoholics have to face a situation like this once in a while. I if you husband to be wants alcohol for his family and friends he should have it. Your family just needs to understand

8 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $22190 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HERE… https://dollargalexy5.neocities.org/

Most of my family is against alcohol because my brother had 2 dui’s and it tore our family apart more than it already was. My brother still drinks (he says he doesn’t but he does for sure as there’s pictures and he asks me to go with him sometimes). But when I get married so no more drama happens I’m sending out 2 different invitations cause we drink on special occasions and here and there and don’t want my family ruining our day more (I don’t think anyone in my family will show up though cause we went separate ways). But one invitation will be for the ones who don’t like alcohol mainly don’t approve of it and have them at the reception for the bigger parts like eating/first dance/any other things plus a little after. The second one would be for a few hours longer where alcohol will be allowed or even a big fire/party at our place after the reception so my family thinks it’s over for the night. We’re going to do BYOB and have some extra incase someone forgot theirs or can’t afford it/etc.

2 Likes

Have booze at an after-party instead of the reception. Those that wish to drink can come to the after-party, that way your family doesn’t miss any of the important stuff and your husband’s family still gets to party, just a little later than expected.

4 Likes

Compromise. Alcohol is legal and most times expected at receptions. Cash bar should be announced PRIOR to the reception. Maybe wine and beer… no hard liquor.

3 Likes

You could do a BYOB and just put that on the invitations that way everyone knows there will probably be some alcohol. If someone isn’t far enough along in their recovery and it makes them uncomfortable, they can choose not go to the reception. But at least that way you are being respectful by giving them a heads up but also compromising with your hubby’s side :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

I would say (after reading some of the comments) do a cash bar but maybe include it on the invites so your family members can be aware.

3 Likes

If most of your family has recovering alcoholics I would not have alcohol there and his side should respect that. We didn’t have alcohol at our wedding except a champagne toast.

6 Likes

I wish I didn’t have alcohol at my wedding… After we left a big fight ensued. I would say no.

2 Likes

Cash bar! Allow the drinks- but people have to pay! Unfortunately, recovering alcoholics are just going to have to adjust with this one. It’s unfortunate but people have a right to have a good time.

3 Likes

If you made it no alcohol they would bring their own. I would do cash bar

I would say do a cash bar, BYOB or maybe the first hour and a half be designated to your family and after that they can choose to stay or go.

1 Like

Explain to your family that you will have alcohol at the reception. the ones who are recovering alcoholics can make the choice stay for the reception or not. This wedding is for both you and your husband. He should be able to have a wedding he enjoys as well.

1 Like

Make the first 2 hours of the reception nonalcoholic and then have alcohol for the rest of the night.

I was barely legal when I got married and alcohol just wasn’t something big on my radar. We had champagne brought to tables as needed/wanted and that was all. Later some of us went out to a bar. Maybe something like that?

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to go to a wedding that didn’t have any alcohol personally. At least beer and wine. Maybe just don’t do hard liquor

2 Likes

It’s not your fiancé’s fault that you have a family of recovering addicts. I think a cash bar with a heads up on the invites is the best compromise for you both

3 Likes

I don’t drink so I plan on having the BYOB option for those who do drink

2 Likes

Cash bar. N that’s coming from someone in recovery. Just give your fam notice. They might wanna bring a sober friend or plan on leaving early. I bring my dude, also in recovery, n we leave early. Nbd.

3 Likes

Have a morning wedding and serve coffee, tea, no alcoholic bloody Mary’s. Have a champagne toast with sparkeling grape juice!!

2 Likes

You’d be putting your family in the position of either skipping your wedding or facing the temptation of falling off the wagon. Your fiancee can party with his friends & family on another date. Please don’t use your wedding to derail your family’s efforts to get & stay sober.

5 Likes

Regradless it’s a wedding it’s to have fun drink dance

1 Like

First its your wedding you should do what you want. Who is paying for wedding and reception? Make things like tea, coffee, lemonade, etc free. Pitcher of ice water at every table. Toast to sparkling grape juice not wine or champagne. Cash bar for those who want alcohol.

3 Likes

Have an alcohol time block of the reception. Put it on the invites *alcohol free until X time”

4 Likes

Cash bar, problem solved

2 Likes

Your family are adults. How or if they drink. That’s up to them. Do what u want.

2 Likes

There’s alcohol every where, it’s not your job to babysit your family they have to make the choice to stay sober on their own. It’s his wedding also and compromise has to be made for both sides.

7 Likes

It is ur celebration and it should be fun. The adults are accountable for themselves.

1 Like

Mocktails for your family. Cocktails for his. Everyone parties

3 Likes

Maybe offer “mocktails” so those in recovery can enjoy a drink and not have to feel obligated to explain their recovery to every person… as for the ones that are drinking, let them… the ones recovering are making a choice and need to live a normal life and not be coddled in my opinion.

6 Likes

Set up a “Mock” Bar and a Cash bar for alcohol

3 Likes

Split the reception in half. The first half is sober then at a certain time bust out the drinks.

2 Likes

Don’t serve alcohol tell after cake and stuff, when it’s all over and everyone is just hanging out and dancing then open the bar up. But honestly if you chose to serve no alcohol people might leave early, if that’s okay then do whatever YOU are comfortable with. I mean it is your wedding :smiley:

1 Like

I think you must be respectful of the battle and the journey of every recovering alcoholic. You have the ability to remove one more stumbling block at this party. I believe you should do so and not serve alcohol at your reception. If your husband’s friends want to party afterwards oh, they can go elsewhere.

3 Likes

Girl have alcohol how boring would that wedding be …

2 Likes

You don’t want to enable anyone, so you could do a cash bar. :wink: