Should we skip preschool due to COVID?

Skipping preschool this year because my daughter is immunocompromised so we don’t want to take no chances. Preschool isn’t mandatory in Colorado & me being a preschool teacher I have taught her everything I can. I feel she will do good going into kindergarten.

It’s not required so it’s up to you but if you do skip then you will need to work with him daily to make sure he is on track for kindergarten.

Great time to teach your child about handwashing. Practice makes permanent.

I’m not sending my 4 year old!

No, best thing for your 4 yr old

During this time especially, the most important thing is keeping our kids safe and healthy, this I feel is more important than any grade they will ever receive.

My daughter is back at daycare shes 3. It is not healthy for her to be stuck at home all the time children need to interact with other children and learn. As long as you dont have immunocompromised ppl in your household I say yes to preschool

3 Likes

My sons in kindergarten and I havent even considered keeping him home. Hes thriving

My 4 year old is back at preschool and starts big school in september. Its crucial for their learning and development to go really. But it’s all down to you. My 16 month old starts nursery in september too.

Skip! I have a 12 year old daughter and I’m due next week with my little boy. My daughter will be participating in online learning offered through her school because I couldn’t imagine covid being brought home to my newborn.

2 Likes

honestly if my daughter were in school now there is no way I would send her, and she never did preschool so she would definitely not be going there! But that’s just my opinion, you have to do what you feel is best for you and your family.

2 Likes

yess keep home my daughter went back to school when they opened and she was exposed to her teacher being positive and now I refuse to send her back to take any chances of being exposed again and exposing myself being that I’m pregnant at the moment also. Homeschooling is what I’ll be doing now

1 Like

We are home schooling all the kids for the first 6 weeks then see where to go from there. Simply because we will be having our baby a week before school starts.

1 Like

I wouldnt risk my unborn and my little one . I started teaching my 4 yr old on my own… so far he knows how to add subtract and like 35 sights words … i also have a 8yrold and a 11 mo old . Its not easy but the health of my children come first … Dont worry about the social thing if they have sibling theyll be fine . It breaks my heart but sometimes sacrifices need to be made :pensive:

1 Like

I think you should check into the preschools, not all of them are open. Where I work we have limited spaces and aren’t anywhere near back to capacity. Check thoroughly into their sanitation procedures. We’re very careful, we sanitize our playground between each group that goes out and allow no contact between the groups, including teachers. Not all preschools are this careful.

1 Like

Preschool is mostly social. Kids learn through playing.

1 Like

If you are uncomfortable with sending her to school that is your right. Use online programs so that she can still have the “school” learning atmosphere.

My 3 yr old is suppose to start preschool in Aug. but im not sending her this year because of covid.

1 Like

Ive never done prek…just work at home

Keep your child home you can all get sick if you send youe child to school

You know what is the problem with this comes learning delay social delay with others if you dont have to work than great it comes with a price i had my girls in Daycare,Head Start, Preschool they had a great experience hope all gets better soon

Coming from a pediatric nurse, yes. Absolutely keep your little home and skip pre k. You can teach them everything they’d learn at home.

17 Likes

There are plenty of materials out there for you to use at home. I would be safe and keep your child home. Maybe set up a little classroom in a space in a room in your house. Get some things for your walls at the dollar store, make it feel like a little classroom.

1 Like

My kids never attended preschool and they both turned out fine socially mentally did well in regular school and been successful in their adult lives

4 Likes

Children that age aren’t really affected by the virus so I can’t imagine what the issue would be. It’s good for their immune system, socialization and of course the many other benefits of preschool. No, I wouldn’t skip it.

2 Likes

I’m worried about this to my son is a handful and has no social skills except with his older sister who is 5yrs older. I worry about next year just sending him to kindergarten without prek but I’m not sending his sister to school I chose to home school her this year

1 Like

I am skipping preschool. I was really looking forward to her going and being able to make friends and be best prepared for kindergarten but I’d much rather hold of and let that happen next year than God forbid she get sick and it not happen at all. My older ones will be distance learning.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t skip it. They learn so many skills in preschool that gives them a leg up in kindergarten. And you’ll enjoy the break from one extra kid. Lol

6 Likes

You don’t want to skip any kind of preschool learning I suggest finding a good program like abc mouse or something like it it’s a monthly fee but you want to make sure your child is ready for kindergarten because they expect a lot from these kids by the time they get to kindergarten

2 Likes

I would talk to different preschools and find out what their options are for the kids. You should be able to find a program that works for you and your situation, even if it means waiting.

1 Like

We’ve been preschooling since this started early March. She was in preschool but we didn’t feel safe for her to return. I don’t think it’s right to gamble with children. There’s not enough testing and evidence to suggest complete immunity. And, she would get the whole family sick from daycare anyway, so I can just image what a school would bring.

I’m skipping it and will do a makeshift homeschool session with both my girls (4 and 2). I’m due in 2 weeks, also!

2 Likes

I probably wouldn’t risk it. With my oldest he was only there 4hrs because I had to pick him up before nap time since he didn’t nap. My middle needed the extra help so I sent her and my youngest will probably go when he is old enough… but with covid and 2 younger kids, eslecially a newborn, i wouldn’t risk it.

My oldest was 4 until the end of September her Kindergarten year. She didn’t go to pre-k. She ended up graduating high school early. My youngest went to pre-k two months after she turned 4. She’s always been smart but she really struggled for a few years with math and reading. I wish I had kept her home. Every child is different. She will be in 6th grade this year, I will be keeping her home. The risk, for us, is too great.

3 Likes

I work in a daycare and the guidelines are so strict with being sick. You should be fine. I worked through shut down and everything and we have had no cases. I would trust it.

1 Like

I am hoping parents are scared so I can get my 3yr old in. She is on the waiting list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would wait until maybe January 2021 to enroll your child. August is too soon with what’s going on. It’s scary and too soon to open school for these children

I would say skip it for now until it is safe. I was a stay at mom until my youngest went to kindergarten and they did not go to preschool. They did however go to a Mother’s Day out once a week for socialization. They caught up with the other students in kinder within weeks. My youngest was Salutatorian of his class. Btw… I am an educator.

1 Like

I never went to pre-school never had such a thing when I was little, we learned socialization by going to Sunday school and Bible school in the summer. I never went to Kindergarten either school was fine if the teachers had been better. My first day in first grade my teacher told me that my parents had only had 2 kids and therefore I was lying about who my parents were and treated me such the rest of the year I didn’t exist, no help no teaching. What I learned my older sister and mom taught me.

2 Likes

It all depends on the child. I had students who didn’t attend pre school and they did well in Kindergarten. I had a student who never attended pre school. He didn’t recognize his name or know how to write his name. He knew zero alphabet letters coming into Kindergarten. He excelled in K and was one of my top students!

1 Like

I have a 4 year old daughter that’s supposed to go too, but I’m gonna skip it. Then maybe I’ll see how things are come January. I’m not concerned at all about her learning bc she’s already advanced, but I’m concerned about when kindergarten comes and now she goes from being with me all day, to 6 hours 5 days a week at school. Not crazy about that

1 Like

We found a 3 day a week in home pre K for our daughter. Only 10 kids so it gives me a little more of a safe feeling. I also have a 2 year old and am giving birth in September.

1 Like

I would skip it. I’m an elementary teacher and my own son did not go to preschool. If you regular talk, play games with your child, and don’t stick them in front of a screen they will be ok!

3 Likes

I’m skipping this year with my 4yo. He will be my 4th kid doing preschool and it’s not a big deal. It’s really only to socialize, learn the ABC and how to write their name. Something I can do at home. With 3 other kids in school at it’s already going to be stressful and his first year of school shouldn’t start this way.

4 Likes

I would home school him until this pandemic is over. My daughter is doing this with her 2 children. The school district should give you the curriculum and materials you need.

1 Like

I’m an educator and my kids are going to preschool. It was our decision that the benefits of preschool outweighed the risks - especially with the protocols their school has in place.
Having said that, research shows that the academic differences between students who receive preschool versus the ones that don’t are basically gone by 3rd grade. Preschool is all about social development to me and I feel like I can’t provide that at home to the same extent.

14 Likes

Definitely skip pre- school!! You family’s health is way more important !

1 Like

We are skipping preschool this year. She just turned 3 in June. My older kids will go to school as “normal” when they do open. My youngest will start in pre k next year.

1 Like

Skip it. They will catch everything the first year! And bring it home to you and the babies.

1 Like

order some pre k 3&4 spectrum workbooks from Amazon. that will be more than enough to get them ready for kindergarten

2 Likes

Yes. I didnt go to preschool, my mom taught me everything at home, its also a good time time to bond with the child.

1 Like

Why people rely on the internet to make their parenting decisions is beyond me. If you think its even slightly unsafe why would you risk it?

1 Like

If they’re ready this year, they’ll be doubly ready next year. It’s not worth the risk or getting him all prepped only to watch it close if (or more likely when) there’s another spike.

1 Like

I’m an essential employee so my 4 y/o has been attending a YMCA daycare all along. They have smaller classes now, teachers wear masks, take temps before entering… I believe the structure has been good for her.

Skip it ! Teach them colors shapes number 1-100 and alphabet and to write their name they will be fine

1 Like

I am not. I dont want my kids to live in fear. I’m pretty sure this is not going away any time soon. I’m teaching proper hand washing, proper mask fit, no touching others. I don’t want him to be behind.

My youngest didn’t go. Just make sure she/he knows the basics by kindergarten like letters, numbers, and colors. If I recall they start teaching sight words and reading in kindergarten now.

I would send mine. They have reduced class sizes by us n are taking alot of precautions.

It’s preschool, they’ll be fine without it

1 Like

No, do not skip pre school, advice from an old woman mother, grand, and great g.

1 Like

Don’t skip anything. The numbers have been inflated to look like it’s so dangerous. It’s not so dangerous or people couldn’t be running shoulder to shoulder destroying property, looting and rioting and in many cases murdering. Use common sense and think it out. It’s only dangerous to law abiding citizens

1 Like

I’m going to do homeschool stuff with my 4 year old. ABC’s, counting to 10 or 20 practice pen control, tracing and how to spell his name. They also need to know colors which mine all ready knows. We also have ABCmouse and I found a bunch of workbooks. Check out 5 below or Walmart for workbooks.

3 Likes

How is this even a question?

Yep… Didn’t do preschool with either of my kids… 7 and 10 now and they are soo smart in reading and math. :+1:

I’d skip unless you have concerns about her development. 3 of my 4 have IEP’s, the most extensive one involving non verbal autism and 3 different therapists. They absolutely will be going back. My son with autism has already regressed so much.

2 Likes

No they will be behind in kindergarten

1 Like

The value of pre-school is social skills NOT academics. . .

1 Like

Do what you are comfortable with.

Skip it. It will be ok if you do.

Put a Cork in that hole.

I’m waiting for covid-19 to be Over

As someone who works in education, I would personally say skip this year unless you feel he/she needs it. As in, is he/she delayed in any way or are there any concerns with him/her being around new people comfortably. I never thought I would say skip it to anyone as I’m a big advocate for putting kids into social situations and giving them learning opportunities regularly at an early age. But with the restrictions and guidelines in place, my concern for young, new students is that all the restrictions could cause anxiety. You want their first year of school to be as positive as possible. Having a high anxiety situation the first year at school could likely cause them to not enjoy it and fight going.

12 Likes

Being a mom, I recommend keeping our little ones home until we are definitely sure this virus is under control. In the meantime, I would recommend using this reading program from Children Learning Place to jumpstart your child’s reading. I am currently using it with my 4 year old and seeing progress. Get yours here: www.childrenlearningplace.com/courses
Thank me later :slightly_smiling_face:

If you can, don’t skip it. Pre-k really helped my daughter and my son is only 19mo so he can’t start yet. Pre-K is a very important part of a child’s development and as long as the proper precautions are taken, I would definitely not skip it

I wouldn’t send my child if i didnt have to.small children are getting reactions from the virus and 2 babies got it.one died. No reason they can’ t wait a few more months to open.

Keep him at home and enjoy another year with him. You’ll be keeping him safe too. And at 4, he can be a big help to you .

Yes ask for it online

Personally I’d skip.it

I would choose the safer choice.

If I didn’t work so much I would be home schooling this year.

I’m sending my 4 year old in September. They are already trialing human vaccines for it, so I feel comfortable sending him.

I’m passing on preschool this year for my 4yo

1 Like

I think it depends on your area. Are you in an area with a higher populace? We are in a very rural area and my 2 year old just started her second year. She is so excited! She loves it at her “school.” It’s great for the kids, but if you and your family are high risk or in a high risk area, it’s up to you!

I am skipping Pre-K and was unsure myself. I am really going to take advantage of this last year before I send her off into the world, is the way I’m looking at it.

I was wondering the same. I feel backed into a corner myself. Mine is 4 and is ready beyond belief. What I’m worried about is the lack of social interaction she has and will continue to have. :frowning:

My daughter is supposed to start kindergarten and I’m not sending her. I mean she already knows everything they learn colors, shapes, write all her numbers write her whole alphabet tell me what letter any word starts with she can count to 100. I don’t know if they will want me to home school her or what but she will not be going. Plus she’s 5 what little kid is going to keep a mask on their face for over half of the day.

My son is starting pre k this year also but we don’t have any deaths and very few cases in our area…

I wouldn’t risk my children’s health, or yours.

Keep them home and find a preschool curriculum that you can do at home! Your one yr old might catch on early by doing it together

I’d skip preschool if I were you. Neither of my kids went to preschool. You can easily teach them what they would learn at preschool at home.

4 Likes

I would say yes. I know you were hoping for a break at this point but rather safe than sick. Kids bring home more things from school during their first exposures to other children.

There are lots of virtual preschool apps and activities as well. ABC mouse is a great one. Some preschools are even doing virtual classrooms, so kiddos don’t miss too much of the social interaction part.

3 Likes

I have 2 kids, one went to preschool, the other did not. Both ended up in the top 10% in high school. I saw no difference. I would keep your child home if you can. Read to them every day!

2 Likes

My son is going to prek in August.

Id say depends on class size and rules.

His school has stayed open all summer and all last school year. It’s a daycare/prek and they’ve had 0 cases. They also meticulously clean and sanitize everything. Class or group sizes are no more than 6 kids.

Are you a stay at home mom? If so take advantage of 1 more year with your little ones all to your self.

Keep your little one home with you
Better to be safe then sorry!

Raelene Lundin look at comments