Should we skip preschool due to COVID?

I have a 4 year old that I was supposed to sign up for preschool this year. With all this Covid happening is it a better idea to wait and skip preschool ? I have a 1 year old at home and I’m supposed to give birth on November as well.

55 Likes

I think it depends where you live… where I live my kids are back in daycare and summer camps, but we have 0 cases in our area and the max we had was 6 since March… location matters

7 Likes

You do what you think is right. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for whichever route you plan to do. Learning, whether it’s remove, in-person or mixture of both wont be easy.

6 Likes

Depends on your location, circumstances etc. Do whatever works for you and your family

My city is hella small no city buses . But I’m sending my daughter to school for kindergarten in aug

I think pre school is important for the little one to gain some independence

7 Likes

Absolutely a great idea. They can wait a year or two. In my state a child doesn’t have to start school til age 7.

5 Likes

What’s more important learning ABC 123 or not catching covid?

10 Likes

If your child doesn’t go to preschool then they’ll have to be enrolled in prekindergarten at age 5 more than likely. But your concern is understandable but truly depends on the cases where you live. Where I live we have abt 170 if that many but I know we over 150 but that’s with 12,000-13,000 ppl so

I would. My son didn’t go to preK

1 Like

I have a 4 year old who’s been in daycare/preschool the whole time. I’m due in September and my 4 year old will continue to go during my maternity leave. I believe kids need exposure to germs, also in the competitive world we live in the sooner we can teach them and get them into a school setting the better.

10 Likes

I personally would. Preschool isn’t a requirement

2 Likes

My daughter is 3 and I’m due August 5th. We have decided to withhold her from preschool this year. We live in a small town with no cases of covid. We are having her do headstart this year and will do preschool next year. They are talking about possibly having the kids wear masks so that also affected our decision. I feel like 4 hours is going to be hard enough let alone having her wear one all day

1 Like

We decided to do homeschooling for preschool.

3 Likes

It’s not required in my state so i decided to hold off a year also due to the circumstances.

2 Likes

Preschool is mostly for social interaction and to learn how to be in a routine classroom setting. Kindergarten is not even required in most states…
So I would say its not a problem especially if your child already knows, colors, shapes etc…

2 Likes

I didnt sign my 4 yo up. Not puting him thru all this his first year of school.

1 Like

Same exact situation here 3.5yr old who turns 4 in nov n was suppose to start preschool we r skipping preschool and i am due with baby #2 in November

2 Likes

Yes, the cases have gone up a ridiculous amount and babies (under 3 if i remember correctly) can’t wear masks.

1 Like

I have a 4 year old going to preschool this year. He needs to socialize. Everyone is different and all situations are different. Do as you plz. But just remember if he doesn’t go u need to be able to help him learn the things he would learn in school . From abcs to numbers. I’m not being rude just letting you know we as parents have to stop and help. Out the teachers when there is no school so they are prepared for next year. Good luck with everything

3 Likes

I made the decision to skip pre-K. I wanted him to experience it for the social aspects but I don’t feel comfortable with it. I’d rather wait the year and go to kindergarten for his health. I would agree with your skipping for your child with you expecting a new baby. Giving birth is when our immune systems are the weakest so it’s best to take care of all of you

2 Likes

I would. But I’m planning to homeschool my son anyway, to much crazy in this world anymore.

2 Likes

My son is 4.5 and daughter is 2.5 we’ve decided to homeschool at least this year and hopefully continue with it. I don’t want memories for him of school being a mask, not allowed to sit by friends and not being able to run around and be a kid.

2 Likes

Noo, keep your kids safe at home

2 Likes

Just finished paperwork and paid our 4 year olds dues to start in August. I feel kids need to have the social interaction, be exposed to germs, learn independence rather than living in fear of getting sick. I’m looking at covid like we do the flu. I’m just really making sure that we are washing hands, covering our mouths when we sneeze, cough, yawn, keeping our hands to ourselves. Normal stuff, just being extra stern on it.

8 Likes

I would.hold off. I am due in November and have opted.to allow my oldest 2 to do distance learning
It will be hard for us all but im not willing to riak any of my kids, myself, my husband or others including the staff at the school. Kids are resilient and bounce back quickly and learn quick at that age. Also you can teach her yourself while on leave or get her enrolled in online pre school. I wish u the best.

3 Likes

We never did preschool. Just teach them at home. I’d rather have my kids grow up than them getting covid and not seeing them again. But my son has asthma and I don’t play with his health.

3 Likes

I would hold off. My daughter is supposed to be starting kindergarten next month but we decided to just homeschool her. It’s gonna be a rough road but i cant risk something happening to her or her little brother who has asthma.

4 Likes

I am doing online w my kindergartener…we didn’t do preschool at all. I didn’t with any of my kids. I would skip it!

3 Likes

Just enrolled my 3 almost 4 year old in head start 🤷 kids need interaction not just from a parent in my opinion. They learn so much more and faster.

3 Likes

Yep we are skipping it and will continue to do learning at home

3 Likes

I’m skipping, I really don’t want too. But I’m going with my gut.

4 Likes

I’m a preschool teacher and not a single child or family member or teacher at our center has had covid and we are a huge facility. No masks, just hand washing, being careful about touching and cleaning has led to this. We haven’t even closed through this.

6 Likes

I’m q preschool teacher, and im even on the fence to whether our school should open or not! You need to do what you feel n is best. Prek is very important, but i think its also something that can be missed in the event of something emergent like covid. Sorry no help, its a big question.

5 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 4 year old too and idk if I should sign her up or not. I have an infant at home too. :smirk:

I understand the need for interaction and socializing and whatnot at that age. But this is different. I wouldn’t know what to do if any of my babies got sick.

3 Likes

I left my little man’s signed up and accepted it . I have told them we will see in September , I don’t know what state the world will be in… Remember you have a right to take child back out of school just because you have accepted doesn’t mean they have to stay enrolled…

2 Likes

We just withdrew my son from pre k today he was going to start in August. He has severe ADHD and doesn’t learn well at home so I am truly scared I won’t be able to teach him at home and he will not be ready for kindergarten, but when I withdrew him from daycare and his whole world turned upside down he had a very rough time adjusting, I can’t imagine sending him and schools having to close again and doing it all over. I am gonna try my best to get him interested in his letters and numbers, but if he gets held back a year at least he is safe. It is such a hard decision though and don’t let anyone guilt trip you one way or another especially if you are in an area with small amount of cases. I already feel bad about this decision because he is such a social kid and keeps asking to go back to school but my gut says this is right

1 Like

Plenty of free learning things online to do

2 Likes

Yes! My son got sick in preschool a lot! Just imagine now with COVID

7 Likes

Preschool or Prekindergarten? It’s super important that your kiddo be exposed to some form of schooling before entering Kindergarten. Granted, you can provide your kiddo that exposure yourself! As long as you’re preparing your kiddo for Kindergarten/traditional schooling, they should be just fine. You can find an abundance of resources online to help prepare your kiddo, including easy to understand checklists of what they should know by a certain age.

2 Likes

We are!!! I’m just not going to deal with that extra this year. School will be bad enough

2 Likes

We applied and got accepted to a great pre k program in our school district. Not only did I decide to keep her home for her health and safety but also for the health and safety of the teachers and staff that would have to be there.

3 Likes

My son was optional as far as the testing was concerned and he was receiving wonderful care, socializing, education, and love at the family that cared for him at the time so we opted out. He’s 11 now. He’s still an A student and advanced. I don’t think skipping Pre-K had any negative effects on him. If it were today I wouldn’t think twice about not sending him, but I’m already questioning the return of school as it is. I’m not comfortable with our numbers or heard any plans yet either - so there’s that. Just a 1/2 hour away from me is a pretty big difference in scenarios, so it’s really such a specific situation decision.

1 Like

Idk. I’m kinda torn. I have a 5 yo that is supposed to start Kindergarten this year, is healthy as a horse and I think he’ll be fine. He was in daycare before Covid closed it and started back 6/1 and has been fine. But then I have a 12 yo T1D that I’m on the fence about. I feel like there is a lot of hype that has no validity to it, but I’m not willing to risk the “chance” of my kid contracting Covid. With that being said, I am also a single mom that can’t homeschool. As much as I would love to stay ho.e amd make sure my 2 got the best possible education I could give them, it just really isn’t in the cards.

My little girl she is just 3 years old and starting pre-pre-K I am OK with her going to school

I’m deciding towards homeschooling vs sending her, she hasn’t been since March and I don’t want to risk her health

4 Likes

Prek-Kinder are not required but is definitely recommended. If you don’t mind skipping (pre-k), I would.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t chance it. It only takes one child getting sick at school.

3 Likes

I am keeping mine out. I have been on Pinterest like crazy saving ideas on how to teach him at home! Also, dollar tree has good work books and other items :+1:

3 Likes

If your concerned about school need to watch listen to this video /post I saw and watched

I don’t see why not, honestly you ca teach your kids at this age what they wil learn in school.

2 Likes

Im feeling the same :cry: Don’t want him to miss it but…

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2985102564876504&id=100001303684397

I’m skipping my daughter is turning 4 in September :unamused:

1 Like

I’m keeping my baby home from preschool this year. And my other 2 from Elementary school. I’m due in September and just not willing to risk it. We can do all that stuff at home

4 Likes

I have a 4 year old who would be starting PreK this year and a 1 year old at home as well. I’ve decided to homeschool during all of this. I looked on Pinterest and found a lot of fun learning activities to do! The stuff you can buy at the dollar store. I ordered preschool workbooks and educational toys. I’m pretty excited about it!

2 Likes

I would skip!! All it takes is one person to get in contact with it! Then it’ll be brought home to everyone. It’s even easier for the whole family to get it when a child brings it home. Don’t risk it, for the safety of both child and newborn… and yourself

2 Likes

As a teacher and a parent I would not send my kids back if school was anything short of “back to normal”. And im not worried about them getting sick. Its more a nuisance of being at home 1/2 the time and being in class the other 1/2. Especially kindergarten. Theyll be missing absolutely nothing

I homeschooled prek… she was ahead of the rest of the kindergarteners…

All because they ran out of spots for prek… lololololololol

4 Likes

Whatever you feel is the right thing to do mama. Do not let ANYONE sham you on YOUR decision!!! Personally, I called around my local daycare and asked how they are doing. Any cases? How would y’all handle it? And I am deciding from there!! Either way you’re a great mom!! Prayers for a good decision for you!

4 Likes

I would skip it. They have plenty of stuff you can buy to do it yourself at home.

1 Like

My two kids will be going to school.

I’m going through the same thing. Deciding if my child will go to pre k or not. I’m thinking it’s not going to be worth it. I hate it though because I want her to make some friends and play with other kids :pensive:

2 Likes

I’m sending my daughter who is three to a five day a week program. I have a one year old as well but not pregnant. I think it depends on the area you live in and also the safety guidelines the school follows.

2 Likes

My daughter is old enough to start school but there’s issues holding her back from starting shes gonna start when she’s 4 1/2

You can do ABCs and 123s at home. There are tons of online resources, especially YouTube (check out Jack Hartmann) and ABC Mouse is awesome. If it were me, I would skip preschool, especially with the current pandemic. Good luck.

4 Likes

I think right now the priority is to be safe and healthy, basically stay alive, and you can only do that staying at home.

4 Likes

My 4 year old was in preschool and we finished up home schooling. For her it was better to be in class then me teach her. We are still waiting to see what happens at the end of summer.

1 Like

That depends. If that means sending him to the school yes hold back. Get some educational toys. Leapfrog is great. I suspect a lot of schools will be doing an online alternative. You’d still have to register him. If you have a device he can use remote learning would be good for him. He’d have interaction with other kids although on a screen instead of in person & partisapate in learning activities. It could give you an hour or so that you don’t have to entertain him along with your other 2.

1 Like

I feel you can teach the basics at home
And maybe hook up with 1 or 2 other families keep circle small but if manags to have a couple of other kids to play a bit with maybe 1 or 2 days a week in front yard etc

3 Likes

I would personally skip it.

I sign up my son for pre k. Hes 4 but his school is doing online classes until September.

Homeschool. These two will be a big help.

1 Like

No… Your child needs social interaction. Day cares and preschools are taking precautions. We cannot keep these kids cooped up. Our head start and pre k are opening up… Day cares here are opened up… Have been for over a month.

These kids mental health is deteriorating. They were not made to social distance. They do not want home schooled… And some parents cannot afford WIFI.

4 Likes

Honestly, with a newborn coming home I would skip preschool this year. We will probably still have covid around next year and for many but I personally would feel safer not potentially exposing my newborn, because preschoolers will bring everything and anything home, not just covid.

I do beleive your 4 year old needs social interaction so why not play dates with close friends that you know and trust…and not a classroom of 20 kids :thinking::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Following bc I am still on the fence about what to do

Keep. Him. Home. Not. Safe. Out. There

1 Like

I can’t speak on behalf of you or anyone else. I can say in my case…we skipped Pre-K…put him in kindergarten. He was behind prior to Covid19…then schools went online and it just got worse. He’s a hands on interactive type of kid. Not a stare at a screen kid. He’s taking kindergarten over again. 🤷 But, you can do Pre-K stuff at home if you choose.

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t be sending my child. Do you really think parents are going to keep their sick kids home? By sick I mean Covid+. They still have work, etc and unfortunately there are a lot of selfish people out there.

3 Likes

I work at a Private Early Childcare (6wk-12yr) and through this entire thing we’ve had 1 isolated case, a teacher, who returned to work after 14 days of quarantine and is completely fine. Inquire about the safety procedures and policy’s and go from there, most places aren’t even letting parents enter the building anymore and require masks if you leave the classroom. My 4yr old also goes to PreK and it’s been a blessing to keep her life somewhat normal when she can’t go to stores, zoos, waterparks, malls, etc anymore.

1 Like

You do what feels right for you and your family

My kids aren’t going to be apart of a science experiment to see how bad this can spread. I’m keeping them home. We will struggle so bad but will be worth it

5 Likes

Skip it and work on basics at home…

4 Likes

There is plenty of ways for you to teach him at home instead of sending him to PreK. See if you can find a PreK curriculum that’ll be easy to follow with two other littles at home.

3 Likes

As a preschool worker and a mom I’m just going to say this, if you have a kid in the way and can skip then I would.

Yes, we are definitely doing more to keep things clean and reduce the possibility of spread BUT we aren’t at home with these kids. I know many parents act like this is nothing and let their kids do sleep overs and all that. Kids talk. And just like before, parents will still send a kid sick. We definitely call though (more so now). Not to mention it’s IMPOSSIBLE to keep a 3 or 4 year old social distanced. There are many positive reasons for a child to be enrolled too. So whatever you choose and whatever is BEST FOR YOUR FAMILY.

2 Likes

Skip… only because your pregnant and about to give birth.

Don’t skip it. Kids need to be kids plain and simple. U can’t keep them hidden out forever. They have to get bsck to the real world for their own mental sanity as do the adults.

3 Likes

Homeschool! You will be putting him at risk and in turn, you your newborn and other baby at risk as well putting him in right now. Do a couple hours of schooling with him a day or every other day. There are plenty of programs you can download as well to help. Too risky. They also have school stuff at the dollar store you can do with him. Behavior is mostly what they look for at that age anyway. Read daily and as long as he knows the basics you should be fine. But not worth the risk. Too much unknown!

4 Likes

My 4 year old got accepted to pre-k before all this started. We just decided to keep her home and wait until kindergarten. We don’t want her first memories of school to be masks and not being able to interact with kids her age. My little is 13 and they gave her the option of virtual or going back and she picked virtual. I downloaded abc mouse and let her have at it.

4 Likes

I personally wouldnt send my kiddos especially with a newborn in the house. I would try to do the teaching at home, but that will also be alot on your plate. Maybe try to find songs for learning then you could entertain both of your littles and still be teaching them, but i would recommend looking into learning stuff if you decide not to send to pre k and read alot to your littles it also teaches them more than we think even at an early age.

3 Likes

Doing homeschool this year because I prefer my child alive. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My son was going while it was happening. His school did shut down for few weeks here in Florida, but after it was lifted, he went back. His school has precautions they take, they check temperatures before they enter the door, they have limited the amount of kids in the rooms, and the kids are separated by ages. Hes loved being back and he cant wait to start kindergarten.

Well the question is… what do you want to do??. He’s your baby.
If they open up…that’s all on you with what you feel comfortable doing.

I’m pregnant and due in August and I cant think about sending my 4 year old to prek so we will be working at home

I’d skip since you’re about to have a newborn.

1 Like

Coming from a preschool teacher I would say send your child! Yes you may be able to teach your child ABCs and numbers etc. However, being able to interact with other kids and learn the rhythm of school is very healthy and a must.

10 Likes

Dollar tree has lots of workbooks too.

Yes. We’ve pulled our kid out of pre-k as well. Don’t risk the health of your entire family, especially a newborn.

1 Like

I would definitely skip it. She’s 4, very basic things that you can teach her yourself is all they’ll be doing.

Same situation here. 4 year old, 10 month old, and due in January. We decided to skip preschool altogether and depending on the “rules” for school next year we may just homeschool.
I bought some preschool and kindergarten work books and we’ve been working in those a little bit throughout the day.
I’m not too worried about the virus, but the absolutely ridiculous rules our schools are enforcing this year. Like wearing a mask all day, staying 6 feet apart at all times, and not even being able to eat lunch together. Preschool is supposed to be about socializing your babies, not the exact opposite.

8 Likes