Should you charge a 16-year-old rent?

Maybe parent her ? Lol

10 Likes

No, but I also wouldn’t let my 16 year old come and go as she pleases. Let her pay for some of her own stuff, phone bill, etc. Definitely need to straighten her out now, while you still have a say!

1 Like

At 18 I charged my kids rent… I was a single parent and my rent was so much money so I had to either charge them or get a roommate…instead of an apartment they grew up in a nice home and they ate all independent to this day and doing well

No not until she’s 18 but I would tell her she needs to help pay a bill maybe the internet since she uses it and tell her that since she is working and not helping around house she needs to pay 1 bill.

Pretty sure you cannot charge her rent being underage since it is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your child has food and shelter. You could charge her for her phone even for some of her clothes maybe if she has car insurance. But sounds like you need to put your foot down and set some rules. Until she is 18 or emancipated she is under your control and is your responsibility

2 Likes

If she’s working then yes :slightly_smiling_face: you could even save it up for her so when she’s older she could put a deposit down somewhere?
I’m 27 with the tiniest bit of savings… I so wish my mum saved some of my rent money for me :slightly_smiling_face: x

1 Like

Rent for your 16 year old? If she works she should pay for her insurance and things she wants or needs… she not even an adult yet? Why would you charge your kid rent to live in her own house?

1 Like

A teenager acting like a teenager? Who would of guessed. People who try to charge their own children rent as a form of punishment don’t sit right. They are your CHILDREN. You’re supposed to take care of them and provide for them. She’s home to shower, eat, hang out and sleep. And you have an issue with it? Children are a life time commitment no matter how old they get but she is literally still a child. She’s got parents who want to start charging her rent for doing what most 16 year olds do, my attitude would probably suck and I wouldn’t want to be home much either.

Nope she’s your responsibility til she’s 18

1 Like

I agree it’s ok to have freedom but not weeks unless it’s with family relatives . She can buy her own personal supplies , but ,there’s no reason she can’t help clean ,cook or ,even yet if drove run some errands ! I know she’s probably rebelling but , if allowed it’ll only get worse ! I left how at 16 till 19 n I regret it … I moved back in at 25 till I was 31. I wasn’t disrespectful I just had to get away from my step dad . She’s going to regret her actions one day n ,not finishing school … I can say that cause I runt 90 percent of my life … she can work n ,put back some for college ,gas n ,stuff but , hopefully she comes around n , builds a pretty amazing life one day .

She needs rules. I wasn’t even allowed to go out when I was 16! Lol. Bc my mom knew what I’d be doing!

1. she needs a curfew
  2. she needs rules
  3. no internet
  4. take her laptop
  5. make her save & pay for her own things
15 Likes

Did she finish high school???

Lock her ass DOWN before she makes you a grandma.

I said what I said.

You feel she needs to pay you, no she’s a child and respect is taught :disappointed:. Just stop, build a relationship with her not a war. Was she taught to cook ? Clean ? Have a conversation just because and not because it was a forced one ? Just asking not anything else.

I’m not saying this mean even though it comes off this way. I’m just saying she’s a child that should have those habits and until they are 18 or in a family situation where the child has to help with bills to survive the adult is responsible for the roof over top, food on the table and a safe zone. Good luck.

5 Likes

i belive once they leave school and work they should contribute, its life. times are tough for everyone. and its also getting them to realise that living is not free. they will learn to budget there money and be wiser. even if you take it and stash it secretly and give it back to them to put towards a car or bond. but kids need to learn that life is no golden ticket.

3 Likes

I was told I had to pay rent at 18 but I moved out before then so I never had to. Wouldn’t make my kids pay rent either :woman_shrugging: you choose the lifetime commitment of a child

2 Likes

I take half of my brothers (17 and lives with me) pay and put it away for him. He’s already saved $1k in just over a month or so of living with me. At 17 he is going to want his own car soon, and to do things with friends. If he needs extra money, I give it to him.

1 Like

Yes and anything she pays put it away for her at. Later date

3 Likes

This saddens me. I have 3 young children. You need some parenting classes. Imo, sorry.

2 Likes

Omg! Why is she coming and going for days? You need to take control of your children. Be a parent make rules, make them do chores. Your created a disrespectful young woman. Make her go to school. Have an idea :bulb:

4 Likes

Make her pay her own cell phone bill. I would definitely not be cleaning up after her. She is too young to come and go as she pleases. As a matter of fact, she shouldn’t be allowed to go anywhere unless her chores are done. She needs responsibility and I’m not talking financially

2 Likes

Make her pay rent. Just put it into a savings account for her and don’t tell her

3 Likes

Doesnt sound like u need ask for rent sound like u need to set rules an boundries

2 Likes

My parents charged me rent as soon as I got a steady income, which I think was 16 however I bought my own food & I certainly wasn’t disrespectful towards them either. I knew it was my share of internet, power & my room. I was only charged $50.00 though

2 Likes

Nope be a better parent. What 16 yr old leaves for days at a time ?

3 Likes

Oh no no no comes and goes as she pleases ? Lolol and you have done nothing about it but let her god bless your soul couldn’t be me :woman_shrugging:t2:

She ask to be born? She’s your responsibility! Till she’s 18 :woman_facepalming:

Regardless of her attitude!

Do better!

3 Likes

Idk if you can make a child pay rent :woman_shrugging:t5:

No. Let her save money to move out. Everything is already expensive as it is. She’s your daughter not your roommate.

3 Likes

Comes and goes as she pleases? 16? Disrespectful?? What’s to respect? Am I missing something? because it sounds as if there probably hasn’t been much parenting ….strange…

8 Likes

Sounds like you need to be a more active parent. Why is she leaving for 4 days at a time/not checking in with you? (Why are you allowing this?!!!)
Is she going to school?
I don’t believe you should charge her rent.

I think you need to develop a relationship with her and show her she is just as much a priority as the 3 younger children - and make her one!
Her behaviour…she is screaming for attention. Positive attention. Get to know her. Keep her at home. Set healthy rules and boundaries and follow through on them.

26 Likes

She sounds like a teenager. A teenager without rules, structure and communication. You are the parent and it’s your job to put forth rules and create structure and stability. It’s also your job to financially care for her. But you could definitely be teaching her financial responsibility and bill pay by holding her responsible for her own gas and car insurance bill. But you are still responsible for feeding your child, housing your child and everything she needs.

2 Likes

tough love…you deserve respect as her parents, your house your rules…why is she calling the shots? and yes rent…

3 Likes

:joy::joy:I love how you’re more concerned over profiting from your child than the fact that she’s spending days away from home.

16 Likes

Going a week without coming home at sixteen damn. Blows my mind

Her having boundaries and discipline is completely different then charging her rent😳. Definitely shouldn’t be charging her rent. There’s something going on with the parenting,because there is no way I’m gonna let my 16 almost 17 year old daughter come and go as she pleases. Sounds like you might have your hands full with the littles so you let her run wild

2 Likes

She’s your kid not your tenant

2 Likes

You and your husband need better jobs. :joy::rofl: so you aren’t thirsting over some little 16 year old’s paycheck.

5 Likes

Then give her chores she must do. Even if its a monthly thing like helping you deep clean. But man that’s COLD of you to charge her.

IF YOU MUST CHARGE HER… then you should put the money aside for her so she has a good cushion to actually move out of… also why is your 16 year old gone for days at a time??? So many :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post: here but mainly you should be helping support her and parenting her.

Butttt sounds like you’ve already made up your mind​:woman_shrugging:t4::woman_facepalming:t4:

My 20 year old don’t even pay rent … there’s plenty of time for him to do bills ect ect when he moves out… while he’s with me he puts cash away for a house

1 Like

Technically you are responsible for her until she is 18 to move out but legally 21. You could make her pay her own phone bill though. I’d have a talk with her and deff not let her come and go as she pleases. I started working at 11 years old, dog walking, babhsittting etc…at 14 I started in restaurants and I raked in so much money. My parents never ever asked me for a dime. But when it came to something I wanted like a magazine or earrings or whatever, I had to pay for it. Stuff like bedding and hygiene products and food, they purchased. Until I was 18 that’s how it went. Of course when I fell on hard times after I had my son they didn’t charge me rent. A couple of times they did ask for help because they needed it with 2 extra mouths to feed and house. Don’t charge her rent until 18, but she is your kid, you should support her no matter what.

Now as to the coming and going and not coming home for days. That’s unacceptable. You are her parent and responsible for her legally until 21. If she does something illegal, you are responsible. Believe me, my parents let me do the same thing. I was responsible. I grew up earlier than everyone else due to certain circumstances. I raised my siblings for a couple years when my grandmother was dying of cancer. I did shifts with my mom. I was 14…anyway. My parents gave me freedom. They said I wouldn’t do anything wrong…yeah they gave me freedom and I gave them me in handcuffs. Multiple times. I got cocky. I got stupid who I hung out with. I got dumb in experimenting with drugs and stuff. Please, I’m not saying your kid will do this, but you never know what her ‘friends’ will do. The stuff she will get sucked into. The influences, etc…I know you have other kids and probably a job to worry about, but take some time out to know your kid. Know who she’s with. Take some time to get to know her before it’s too late. Please,

1 Like

Start taking things away she’s only 16. Come on ppl y’all are to soft on your kids now a days lol. But I’d say make her give u a small amount she it teaches her responsibility.

4 Likes

Nope…she’s your obligation until 18. At 18 she can then help something.

2 Likes

She needs boundaries not bills tf :joy:

7 Likes

She is a typical teenager I have reared 3 and thank god they are grown now I think she should contribute a small amount towards her keep to teach her that nothing is free in this world. Also keeping her room tidy should have been taught way before now Yes you are right about respect but remember it goes both ways

4 Likes

Just dont buy her anything​:woman_shrugging:t2: dont do her laundry and make her buy her own plates and stuff to use if she wont do dishes :woman_shrugging:t2: if she wants to act grown, force her to take care of and pay for herself

I’d make her pay her own phone bill and change the wifi password

5 Likes

16yrs old fckks off for 4 days sometimes a week LMAO :smile: that shows where your heads at no wonder she disrespects you shes ever had boundaries Or discipline

5 Likes

I would be making things more of a structure everyone gets a chore for the week and switch and %30 of income goes towards her bills/rent if she wants to come and go like an adult she can act like one and have responsibilities when her items are left out for others to pick up days on end she gets a fine if you have to do her chores it’s another fine

3 Likes

Yes make them learn a bit of responsibility

1 Like

She needs to be home not gone for multiple days at a time… she’s not an adult… parent your child or you’ll be a grandparent before you know it. Why would you even think about charging your 16 year old rent no offense? If she’s being disrespectful etc make her stay home!

6 Likes

Some of you ppl are fucking rude with your comments, shes just seeking help and for an opinion smh …

She’s not respecting you, and you think the answer is to charge her rent??

Fix the relationship! You are the parent! Why are you allowing her to disappear for 4 days at a time?

5 Likes

Lmfaaaooooo no wonder she treats you like shit. Don’t be upset when she dips out for good on her 18th birthday.

No rent put you take twenty percent and keep putting it away as they live there if rent then they’re like I can do what I want I rent

In my opinion she runs that house hold. You can’t controll her attitude. You can’t control her behavior or comings and goings . What makes you think this “CHILD” IS GOING TO PAY RENT. It’s not to late to petetion the courts for a Chins on her in most states. * You thinking bout some dam rent and what about a 16 year old girl doing who knows what for days at a time?*

1 Like

I make my 17 year old pay rent teaches them responsibility

2 Likes

Learn new parenting skills… from this age and for the foreseeable future… it will be challenging. Accountability needs to be addressed right in the beginning of this letting go phase as they grow into adults.
Be calm open and honest. Non-judgmental.
Regarding rent…depends on how many hours, if she’s in school and doing oart time work personally I would ask for rent. But extra help around the house would benefit you both. She’s going to be out of your nest before you know it.

1 Like

16 and comes and goes as she pleases?? really?? She is still a kid! I’m sorry hunny but you need to be a mom and 1. Curfew, 2. Respect for EVERYONE (she doesn’t have to like em but define respect them). 3. Clean up after herself… 4. She NEEDS structure and proper discipline in her life…

10 Likes

Absolutely not. She didn’t ask to be born. You’re pushing her aside for your other kids. Why are you more concerned about profiting from her then being her PARENT? Your parenting skills are the problem here, not her. Teenagers are disrespectful but sounds like you may be deserving of it if she is being shoved aside like this. Why aren’t you concerned where she is going for days at a time? There’s probably a reason she keeps disappearing. Comes and goes as she pleases? Nah, that was on YOU. This post is infuriating honestly.

7 Likes

So… you’re her parents and providing things parents are supposed to provide? Well except for discipline. She’s still a kid. Ground her. :woman_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

No never charged my daughter rent at that age . Have her help with chores like do her own laundry. Keep her room clean. Put a limit on internet usage .

2 Likes

Holy cheese!!! Thats a kid. Thats what kids do. They are leeches. But that’s what parents are for, YOU pay for their rent and food and internet
But that does not mean that they do not have to do chores around the house. You don’t need to charge them rent but make sure they do chores like sleeping, vacuuming, washing dishes, and cleaning
the bathroom

4 Likes

16 is a bit young to be gone a few days here and there where does she go ?

3 Likes

It’s amazing how many post the dumbest questions in here. You should be letting her SAVE money for her future and explain that to her . Let her enjoy being a teen for gosh sakes. I let my kids live at home until they had enough to move out. Helped them as much as I can and still do. You are using your child for their money and it’s pretty sickening. Worst Parents ever

3 Likes

No he’s still a child

1 Like

Honestly no. If you want a relationship with her when she’s adult don’t do it, it will push her away. You could help her save for her future instead and maybe charge her money but put it into a savings account for her. She’s still a child and probably has enough stress bring a teen rather then worrying about paying rent, especially if she’s barely home contributing to the bills, power usage, food etc

4 Likes

I’d charge my 20 year old.

2 Likes

My mom charged me “rent” but it was put aside as a nest egg for me when i moved out…it was to teach me how to budget and understand that I had to work for what i wanted

6 Likes

Ohh no no no. How I was raised. She works or she’s in school full time. (Shoot these days I’d even say half time. Just pass & graduate)

All my kids know is they have chores. If they start slacking, I offer rewards for getting it done faster. They are also raised w the responsibility of dishes. They rinse their cereal bowls every morning. They understand that everyone has a job to do, either it be little & learn to put trash in a trash can. Brush teeth or dispose of a dirty diaper. It all counts & do your share.

You are letting her run wild.

4 Likes

You can’t put unrealistic expectations on anyone let alone your kids. Not to late to teach her responsibility. It’s your job to teach her how to be an adult.

1 Like

No . They’re your kids .

Sis wow :joy::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: red flag on your parenting if anything :triangular_flag_on_post:

8 Likes

Wtf your 16 year old should not be allowed to come and go. 16 year old come on

2 Likes

No. It’s not her responsibility at that age to pay her way. But it is your responsibility to enforce rules and teach her respect and responsibility.

5 Likes

Don’t allow her to come and go, why is that even allowed.

3 Likes

Yes!!! Best to teach them responsibility at a young age.

1 Like

She’s asking for advise… some of you need an old school lesson in, if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything at all and if you’ve never raised a teenager you definitely don’t need to comment.

3 Likes

Uh u birthed her and now she turns 16 has a job u wanna charge her to live ? It’s ur job to take care of her she’s a child

5 Likes

Charging her rent isn’t going to help you. She’s already doing whatever she wants, so she will probably just pack up and go!

You need to set boundaries and rules for her to live under your roof. You are the one who has to do this. Her attitude towards you is shit because she has no respect for you. Make her respect you and show her what parenting is.

1 Like

Yeah she needs responsibility alright but not money wise. She needs to respect the house and that included cleaning up after herself and having her set chores completed. I don’t charge my older boys any rent 17 & 20 but they contribute to the house and keep the downstairs area where they live clean . It’s not always about money to contribute to the house and be responsible . They learn that by paying their own bills (car,phones,insurance , toiletries ect ) occasionally I ask them to grab some groceries like some milk bread toilet paper ect if needed but not really rent payment as such .

2 Likes

She’s still a baby :joy::woman_facepalming:

There is nothing wrong with charging her rent it’s your house…,whether you put it toward helping with bills or you save it and give it back as a graduation gift or off to college gift…it’s more of a discipline issue for you allowing her to do the things she does and there is no consequences to her action…a person will do to you what you allow

2 Likes

OK the first thing I see wrong here is the fact that you have a16 year old that will be gone for up to 4 days seriously??? And then your asking if you should charge her rent?? RIGHT First thing I would think about is where and why is she gone so much…

8 Likes

We payed mum so much each week out of our pay from after school work, then when we moved out the money we had payed her she used for a furniture package for our new start :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it helped so much and we appreciated it more cause we payed for it

4 Likes

Really? And why are you allowing a 16 year old to come and go as she pleases? This is the age where she needs guidance the most.

8 Likes

Wait what? When you say she goes for 4 days and come back … you know every single minute her whereabouts right? At 16 she can work but still not an adult so she should be under your guidance!

Stares in CPS nah that’s your kid. Not your damn tenant. You take care of her and don’t charge her shit. If anything her attitude reflects on you as does this post

She’s acting like she’s grown she can pay rent like she’s grown

1 Like

Yikes. I’d talk with her. Not charge her rent……. You birthed her. She’s 16…not 18.

1 Like

Excuse me what?? She is SIXTEEN, that is a CHILD. Jfc I can’t with some of the posts on this page, I swear.

No. No you should not be charging your CHILD rent.

6 Likes

No not yet but put boundaries in place

4 Likes

Simply start by taking things away until she gets into line.
Start with not taking her places.

Why are you allowing a 16 yrs old come and go as she pleased in the first place?

8 Likes

Yes absolutely, your teaching your daughter an important life skill. My sons 14, works part time and every week he gives me $50 from his pay check to help cover household Bill’s.

4 Likes

I moved out at 16 and had to pay rent I see no issue with it.

1 Like

Give her the option, take responsibility and help around the house, or pay minimal contribution fee. Sadly, you may have given her too much freedom already and it has come to this, but she does need to contribute either way. If people were placing bets, I’d bet she’d help around the house and one day be grateful for the lesson. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My 16 year old would not come and go as they please and especially being gone for 4 days. She would be helping with chores around the house as being part of the family contribution and household. At 18 she may do whatever but not 16

6 Likes

Terrible that you are allowing her to come and go as she pleases. You better hope she comes home one day. Sit down and talk to her.

2 Likes

If they are earning a normal income they can partially contribute financially to the household. Mom charged me 25% and my brother 50% of our earnings. Tax lady.

2 Likes