Should you pay for a haircut in advance?

Salons, especially nail salons are having people come in get a service and have a card declined. They tell the Salon they have no other method of paying and “don’t have cash on them”. It is the new scam so places are asking for upfront payments from non-established customers now.

1 Like

I’ve been cutting my own hair for years, but I’ve never been asked before that to pay in advance. However, if I was, I wouldn’t really care. I’d just wait to tip until after.

You pay for your gas up front

Not judgmental, how is it judgmental? We need more backstory…

Anyway, this might be their way of securing their calendar and avoiding cancellations :relaxed:

I would be looking for a different hair salon.

2 Likes

Some places charge upfront in case of cancelation. Like a downpayment. But that goes towards your service. If you’re a no show, that’s a slot they could have filled with someone else so it’s something that would cost them $ if you were a no call/no show.

1 Like

Lord help. The lady that does my hair would NEVER do this. Infact I lacked bout 8 bucks having enough to finish out my services (I could have used a credit card but she didn’t want me to have to do that) and she told me not to worry bout it. I get my hair done once a year and she has to buy special stuff in advance that she uses just on my hair. I wouldn’t mind paying her up front for that but she doesn’t even ask me to do that. This is unbelievable to me. Wow

1 Like

A deposit isn’t unreasonable. Too many Karen’s now days.

2 Likes

I used to own my own dog grooming business and the only time I ever ask for payment upfront is if someone missed an appointment
Or no showed.

I would not pay for full service up front maybe 10% of it but not much more than than. I am extremely picky when it comes to my hair and brows. I’ve seen the stylist who does my brows for 15yrs or so. I’ve seen the stylist who does my hair for about 8yrs. I know I can trust them 100% and they know I’m good for it. They also know I Tip 50% for services so they know I’m picky and want what I ask for is what I want. I strongly suggest people find stylists they connect with and trust and stick with them! I could never bounce around. I went to Ulta once to get my brows done cause I was impatient and I regretted it! Half my brow was gone and she tried to hide it I did not pay for that crappy service and did not tip either. And learn to pre-book with my stylist! Lol

1 Like

Exactly why I let my daughter cut my hair…prices are absolutely ridiculous. If I dye it…I get a box dye and do it myself. $180 I could spend on my family and not temporary cut or dye. Nails too. If I can’t grow them and paint them myself…I don’t need them.

4 Likes

My niece does hair and she works with a service that takes payments for her. If you don’t have a legitimate card on file you can’t make an appointment. If you don’t show up they take the full price of the service and if you don’t cancel within a certain time of your appointment, they charge a cancellation fee. Just like if you want braids that take 3-4 hours and you don’t show up, she could have put 2 people in that slot for another service.

1 Like

I see more and more salons doing this. I think it’s because they have people try to get away with not paying, urrrgh I don’t like the colour/cut just comp me for it, or walk out with out paying.

I wouldn’t pay upfront.

2 Likes

Christy Steele. Have you heard of this ?

Dinita Brehmer have you heard of this ? Idk where they are talking abt .

I could see paying a small deposit if it was a permanent, color, relaxer, etc which take time, but a haircut…no way.

2 Likes

Never heard of that. My hairdresser would never do that. That’s crazy to me :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I would have walked out.

1 Like

If I am book my hair in I pay for ever think . I do not like to pay after I like to walk out .I think dress hair has the right to ask pay up befor you get done . I would do some one hair with out be pay first . You do not know if there going to run . It’s like this woman that was all over face book she good her hair done very nice and she walk out not pay hairdresser .

1 Like

Only time I’ve paid upfront at any salon was a nail salon before polishing. Def not my hair.

Ive heard of a small deposit for a big service but no, I would not pay in advance

Wtf never heard of it.

1 Like

Always pay after service. Never have I ever heard of such a thing.

1 Like

I would not be offended because the plan was to pay for my service, but I would not return if that practice bothered me. I would let them know too.

Not standard. Would not go there

Not here in mid Kansas!!

A lot more salons are doing this now. Probably because there are unscrupulous people out there who get the service and leave without paying.

I never heard of that! Maybe the hairdresser had done some clients who weren’t pleased with their hair cuts and didn’t want to pay. I don’t know. Lol.

1 Like

My mom owned a salon for years. Only for nails pay up front was offered. And just so they wouldn’t ruin them getting their payment.

Doesn’t sound right. I think I’d go somewhere else!

1 Like