Should you pay for a haircut in advance?

Asking if you can post: Would you be offended if you went to a nice hair salon after already scheduling an appointment and having your hair washed if they asked you to pay in advance for your haircut? Do you think they were being judgmental, or is this standard for going to some places for the first time? I have never been asked to pay upfront like that.

54 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-you-pay-for-a-haircut-in-advance/16575

Personally no.& i wouldnt pay until its done either.Nice salon or not

3 Likes

Well, I have had enough messed up cuts, that I would not pay in advance as a first time customer.

5 Likes

Places are doing this now because people are walking out without paying

3 Likes

I would go somewhere else

1 Like

I work in a salon and it is becoming more common. It isnā€™t an insult to you as a new customer, itā€™s more of guarantee that youā€™ll show up. We have many people that will call around town and make multiple appointment and show up to the one they can get soonest or the price they prefer but they donā€™t cancel the other appointments and that leaves the stylist blocking a big gap in their book for nothing. Most stylists get paid from the services they do. So they are losing money when people just donā€™t show up.

10 Likes

No Iā€™d never pay in advance

1 Like

Personally I wouldnā€™t, what if they made a complete mess and they already had your money?..nope thankyou!

1 Like

I can see a $10 down payment in advance as reasonable.

1 Like

My BF had to pay online when he made his apt before he went :woman_shrugging:t3:

I didnā€™t even know this was a thing

4 Likes

As a retired hairdresser you get paid when the job is done! So yes I would be offended!

8 Likes

Maybe a small down payment? That way if the cut looks like trash, the stylist is still making something for their time.

Personally I wouldnā€™t because they could just do a terrible job and what happens if you arenā€™t satisfied with your haircut. If Iā€™ve been going to the same person who knows how I like my hair, I probably would pay in advance

2 Likes

Nope. Wouldnā€™t do it. What if they completely screw up your hair and refuse to refund you? Then youā€™re screwed. And itā€™s not worth taking them to court over unless itā€™s a few hundred for color as well.

1 Like

We require a deposit because of people no shows or like some said just walking out or canā€™t pay. So at least despot covers material cost.

1 Like

Unusual but I can imagine thereā€™s a reason.

Iā€™ve never been asked to pay upfront for anything at a salon.

1 Like

Uhm definitely not normalā€¦

1 Like

I had a girl, whoā€™s hair was down to her booty, tell me as I was blowing drying her hair after a good hundred dollar in product tell me she didnā€™t have all the money for todays service. I started requiring a deposit. Thatā€™s not refundable, goes towards the total cost of the appointment. Itā€™s to hold customers to showing up to their appointments, and protects me from spending hours on someone not paying .

This being said I would never ask someone AFTER I already started their service. This should be done before they are even in the chair/when they make their appointment.

2 Likes

Nope a deposit to hold apt maybe I could see that but thatā€™s about it

1 Like

I could see paying an appointment deposit in a very busy shop but I wouldnā€™t pay the full cost up front. I have hair dresser friends and they get no shows and it hurts their income so I can fully understand the deposit.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten keratin treatments and had to pay up front for part of the cost of the products but Iā€™ve never paid upfront for a cut itself. Red flag.

2 Likes

Never heard of this!

2 Likes

That seems suspicious. I wouldnā€™t pay upfront

Not normal at all. I would find a new salon

Iā€™ve had to put deposits down but never full payment

2 Likes

I would discuss it, usually when youā€™re asked upfront like that they have a history of getting stuck with customers not paying. And might depends on what you want done, if expensive and complicated I could see it, simple cut maybe not.

3 Likes

That has never ever happened to me and I actually donā€™t know how I would reactā€¦ Thatā€™s crazy

Iā€™ve heard of a deposit. Iā€™m sure there is a reason for it that has nothing to do with you personally. If you are uncomfortable with their policy or think they are singling you out, go elsewhere.

A deposit sureā€¦ paying up front negativeā€¦ Iā€™m not paying for it until itā€™s done and correct

3 Likes

I pay a deposit when I book

I wouldnā€™t. Chances are the salon has experienced a high issue of people making an appointment and then not showing up. If someone has pre paid or even put a deposit down they are more likely to show because they are financially invested. Most, if not all, salons donā€™t employ the stylists. The stylists rent their space from the salon (basically the stylists are contractors if you will) and are dependent on every single appointment. If you make an appointment and no call/no show, the stylist has lost an opportunity to get someone else in thus losing money.

1 Like

Wow you guys really pulled it off. Awesome!! Love the tats Rain Dale.

Get a new salon- if it was me I wouldnā€™t want to pay for something that I donā€™t like at the end

Normal at some places some just get it free complain and leave just so they can get over on these people its not unusual at all.

You dont pay until the job is done and youā€™re happy with the results

I wouldnā€™t pay in advance and never heard of it.

1 Like

Why are people so afraid to ask why? Just ask

If itā€™s a high end place, some will. They may have a history of doing something and ppl canā€™t pay.
Iā€™d ask them & if you donā€™t like them answer, go somewhere else.

1 Like

Is it your normal salon or a new salon? I feel like that makes a difference. I would ask if your not comfortable with it. My old salon you would book online and it took a $50 deposit on your card to hold the appointment.

Iā€™d be like no I will pay when your done my hair cut

1 Like

Definitely wouldnā€™t put a tip on there. That wld certainly wait. You should definitely ask why this is. At least then you know if they are just judgmental bitches.

Whatā€™s their refund policy? :thinking:

No way in hell Iā€™m paying for hair service up front bc then you have no recourse if itā€™s a bad cut or color is offā€¦no way no how

2 Likes

I own a salon and Iā€™ve never heard of this.
The only reason I could think of is if they were closing out the till early or they thought you were sketch.
Since itā€™s a tipping industry it makes sense to wait until the service is complete to pay(and tip if that is applicable).

1 Like

HELL NO you get paid after it you mess it up you get nothing you do it right you get paid simple

1 Like

Iā€™d be fine paying a deposit when making an appointment, but no, I would never be ok with this because Iā€™ve had too many times the stylist didnā€™t listen to me and I was super unhappy

1 Like

Both my mom and stepmom are beauticians and theyā€™ve never asked a client (new or already established) for money up front.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not paying until after I get my haircut

1 Like

Maybe they ment a deposit, hair salons and usually nice ones ask for one.

Iā€™ve never been asked to pay up front. This canā€™t be real! Whoā€™d pay up front?

2 Likes

Some places ask you put a deposit it 10-50% of what will be done.
I would have no issues paying $50-200 before I went in to get my hair done.
A lot of people are having issues of people booking and not showing up, how else will they get paid? I have a friend who charges a $50 deposit to everyone. If you no-show the next time it is half the amount for a deposit and if it happens again she drops you as a client.

4 Likes

A lot of salons are doing that. Too many people wait until they are done and then say they donā€™t have enough to pay. I donā€™t see the problem paying upfront.

No aways there are so many people that would just leave. I donā€™t blame thhem

Paying upfront helps cut out the Karenā€™s who refuse to pay afterwards. Then you know exactly what the cost is and canā€™t claim you ā€˜didnā€™t knowā€™ and refuse to pay. Itā€™s a smart move to cut out the scammers who will do anything to not pay for a service done on/for them.
As for those saying ā€œwHaT iF tHeY mEsS uP?ā€ Then you tell them. And they fix it. Or they offer a refund. But if your instant judgement is that theyā€™re gonna mess up, maybe you should 1. Find someone else you can trust doing your hair, or 2. Do it yourself

5 Likes

No you pay after the haircut. Thats always the standard

1 Like

Most places require a deposit because SO many people cancel last minute leaving the stylist out of money and hoping to fill a spot

2 Likes

Leave a deposit in case u donā€™t go but not pay full in advance

Iā€™ve paid a deposit before at a ā€œfancyā€ salon. It was so if I didnā€™t show up to my appointment.

Sounds right for all the no showā€™sā€¦I would pay upfront if that was the place I have been going to for awhile ā€¦ but if I just happened to try a new place outā€¦No cause I donā€™t know if I would like the way they operateā€¦

1 Like

Every rule ever made is because of shitty people.she could just have had a couple bad experiences with non payment.i wouldnt take it personally.id have just paid her

I could see charging a deposit, or they keep a cc on file to hold appointments and charge for no call no shows. But to pay fully upfront I have never heard of. Some places do make you pay a deposit which makes sense. But usually you pay the rest after your service. Ask Teresa Van Dam on TikTok, she knows a lot.

I am asked to pay for my doctors appointment upfront

Last time I went to the salon, I had to pay in full (with a tip option) before setting foot in the salon. Iā€™ve never gone back.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know that I would comfortable doing thatā€¦ because that means they can eff it all up and they already got paid šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

1 Like

No I have not. I have never been asked to prepay for haircut. What if they do it wrong or mess up, then u are just stuck paying for a bad haircut. I feel you need to be satisfied then pay.

1 Like

A deposit is understood but payment upfront no. Did they give a reason and is it a standard practice. I would ask.

If itā€™s a high end salon and youā€™re going in for the works (cut, color etc) then I can see them requesting a deposit to hold the appointment and ensure youā€™ll show. However, if youā€™re already there and have already been shampooed, then I think itā€™s a little weird. Iā€™ve never heard of payment in advance for having your hair doneā€¦ especially after theyā€™ve already started the process. Now, if their salon policy is to pay in advance, thatā€™s a whole other thing, but that doesnā€™t sound like the case here.

1 Like

During covid I think this is close to the new norm. For a childā€™s haircut at the specialty childrenā€™s salon you have to book online and pay upfront as there are no walk-in appointments allowed.

Here in Pakistan we pay for the salon services in advanceā€¦advance payment is taken at the Doctorā€™s office and many other places as well. Itā€™s a general practice.

1 Like

Noā€¦not normal unless youā€™ve no call no showed before! Deposit only

1 Like

Sounds like theyā€™ve been burned 1 too many times before on payment. But fuck that, I wouldnā€™t go there. Obviously if people are walking out on payment thereā€™s a reason.

I have never been asked to do thatā€¦ maybe a deposit that goes towards your total at the end. Thatā€™s weird.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had to pay a deposit but never full payment

Nope. Thatā€™s standard practice for lots of salons.

Hairstylist hereā€¦ not normal. Only time Iā€™ve done this is if someone came in right at closing time

2 Likes

What does this have to do with parenting?
Also no Iā€™d never pay until I was satisfied with the results

1 Like

I have but for a nail salon. It was werid but I figured it was probably best so I wouldnā€™t mess up my nails trying to get the money out

1 Like

Neverā€¦ and I go to Mitchellā€™s which is high end salon in our area.

They do this because it happens way too often that people will wait until afterwards then claim to hĆ te it to get out of paying

4 Likes

Depositā€¦yes. Full paymentā€¦no

Not normal. Plus, if they jack my hair up, Iā€™m not paying full price.

Iā€™ve been to super nice salons and never had to pay upfront. Thatā€™s weird. Iā€™m in Canada though. Even going to a massage therapist, you okay after the massage is done.

Never had to do that :confused:

Thatā€™s definitely not the standard. My kids go to a nice salon. My oldest had a partial bleaching done for $200, and Iā€™ve never been asked to pay ahead of time.

I would just flat out ask them!

I could see a deposit but never the full amount. I have paid a lot for my hair. I sat close to 8ish hours to go from brown to platinum blonde in one sitting never paid up front.

Iā€™ve paid a deposit (refundable), but never everything upfront. Thatā€™s sketch. Is it refundable?? If they destroy your hair, will you get your money back?? Never pay for any service upfront. Ever.

2 Likes

That hairdresser has been screwed by the ā€œI hate it, I donā€™t have to pay for itā€ crowd one too many times.

Itā€™s becoming standard practice.

2 Likes

Unfortunately itā€™s becoming a standard practice. Thereā€™s been many times in the larger places I went to that people would ā€˜skip outā€™ on paying.

Never heard tell of it

Weird, no if I ever went to one they wouldnā€™t be receiving a good tip in the event of paying in advance. You pay at the end. Side not I usually am a good tipper, 20% and above on most services I receive (restaurants, hair, nail salons)

Tips are earned based on quality of service.

You have to pay for their service whether youā€™re happy or not. But I wouldnā€™t tip until after.

1 Like

No never, thatā€™s unusual??

1 Like

Not if it was said at the time of booking or even as soon as you got there but it being said after they have washed your hair is what I find odd and I would be offended to be honest. I donā€™t have a problem paying ahead probably a deposit more so then the full amount though!

Never, been to alot of different salons and just relocated and had to find a new hair salon my bill was 189.00 when I was done and did not ask till I was done weird.

At the salon I work at, we require half down for a new guests initial service. To me, this doesnā€™t seem unusual, however they should tell you their requirements when booking :blush:

1 Like

Absolutely no way I would pay in advance. What if they mess it up?

2 Likes