Side effects of Mirena?

Question regarding trying to conceive after Mirena IUD (kind of TMI & long- but I am at a loss yall, I need hell)

Before I had my two sons I had used 2 different types of birth control (depo shot & implanon) - I had 2 sons, born in 2014 & 2015 about a year after the implanon was removed I got pregnant with my oldest.

I have always had regular periods, about 5 days long and on the heavier side (I do not use tampons unless I am swimming or something of that nature), normal cramps - nothing abnormal.

In January 2016 I had the Morena IUD implanted. I immediately noticed a change in my period, more frequent - heavier cycles, horrible cramps (I also developed 5 cysts on my ovaries the 1.5 years I had it) and the new/still occurring issue is blood clots. No bigger than a quarter, but it is every single time I am going to use the restroom (once an hour) there is clotting, when i use the restroom, bigger clots.

I eventually had to go to the ER and have the IUD removed - I had 3 cysts rupture within a month and had been bleeding for close to 30 days straight- I was weak and nauseated all the time while taking iron pills and multi vitamins.

Since having the Mirena removed in May 2017 I have had zero luck conceiving (with my ex husband for a year and my boyfriend the last 8 months) . My periods are back to the new normal and have been since j had it removed (5 days, heavy, cramps, clotting) I take iron pills, prenatal, biotin. I drink plenty of water and exercise often. I track my period and know when I am ovulating and my boyfriend and I have tried all the tricks & wives tales. Now, my boyfriend is only home once every few weeks, but it usually lines up perfect with ovulation. It has been almost 2 years now.

Sorry for the long post - I just wanted to cover all the bases so I might be able to get some help.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Has the poster tried basal body thermometer testing? You need at least a couple of months worth of temps to notice when you ovulate, but it’s how I knew I was pregnant again in the beginning because instead of dropping my temp stayed high.

1 Like

Yes from what I am told. Eventually it may stop all together. Mine is plastic mirena and was just put in a week ago.

I’m on my second, have had it for about 8 years, no issues, spotting at times but no periods at all

1 Like

I haven’t had a period since I got mine

3 Likes

I bled for over 7 months straight! along with a lengthy list of other horrible side effects. i made mt dr remove it or i was removing it myself. i will never recommend that thing to anyone.

2 Likes

Mine was rough going in. I’m on month 7 and still not quite happy with it.

1 Like

I bled for almost 4 months when i got my iud…

I have a non hormonal one now. Been 5 years. Period is light day one and two. Day 3 is horrible then 4,5,6 sometimes 7 light

I had mine for a year and only 2 of them months I didn’t have a “period” but still had spotting… I had severe mood swings and terrible migraines… I had mine took out, but I have heard alot of others that had it never had any of them issues, so I guess it depends on the person and body

I bled for a month straight and went back for my check up at the month mark and told them to take it out

I love my Mirena never bled. Now the depo shot I bled for 8 months

I just had my 3rd one…7 days every month. Don’t let them lie to u saying ur period will dissappear…mine hasn’t.

No period since I got mine put in place. I had a lil spotting in the beginning. Maybe call your OB and see what they say

When mine did that, after the week, I went to my doc, and it ripped through me! Get it checked plz

After getting it, I bled for 6 months straight. And the doctors refused to take it out so I took it out myself and the bleeding stop the following day. And don’t get me started on all the other side. Effects that it made me mentally crazy. And I was in horrible pain.