Side effects of Omeprazole?

I’ve been prescribe Omeprazole (it is for acid) after having my baby. I developed bad heartburn. Even if I eat green veggies I get heartburn; even drinking water, so it’s not my diet. I have noticed after a month it causes hairloss in my temples and makes me itchy, but this med helps me so much to feel better in my stomach. I have tried taking only half of it. It still causes haurloss and itchy symptoms. Right now can’t afford insurance to go back and see my doctor. Has anyone else gone through this. May I have some tips.

37 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Side effects of Omeprazole? - Mamas Uncut

Iv been on these for 11 years I’m ok on them hun x

There are other PPI’s that work the same but are enough different that they may not have the same side effects. We will change patients to esomeprazole or Prevacid if they have side effects with omeprazole.

1 Like

Ive been taking 40mg and pecid at night and tums throughout day. Ive had gastric sleeve done trying for bypass. Some days water gives me heartburn. Daughter always complained about stomach hurting. Shes now on it…no effects

Probably get your thyroid checked.

1 Like

The hair loss could be just from postpartum, I know a significant amount of women who experience this. Take biotin, and your prenatal supplements and possibly a collagen peptide if you can. That can also help with heartburn as well.

2 Likes

I’ve been taking it for almost 2 years now and have not experienced anything like what you have

Having a baby can cause hairloss

I’d be worried the itchiness is caused by an allergy to the meds. I take lansoprazole which is a milder version and don’t suffer from those side effects. Talk to a pharmacist and see what you can get OTC, and about your reactions.

Make sure u havnt got gaulstones doctors fobbed me off for months saying it was heartburn but I knew it wasn’t and it was had to have Gaul bladder taken out

1 Like

Take it daily non of that

Rosemary oil an hair skin nail capsules

Hairloss is gonna be from hormones during postpartum period. It’ll stop eventually.

2 Likes

Hairloss and itchiness is normal after having a baby.

I’ve been on omeprazole, 40mg for 15 years now and no side effects. Could very well be your hormones from being postpartum.

Try eating pickles instead of taking the medication

My husband has a horrible stomach (ulcers, heart burn) and he’s on (I think) 40 mgs and he tolerates it just fine.

I have had to take prilosec for almost 20 years. I never had those side effects from the med.

I’d talk to your dr. I have stomach ulcers & this the one medicine that helps. But I have to have omeprozole with magnesium. Never had side effects.

When you can, get tested for H.Pylori.

1 Like

Pregnancy causes hair loss in many . So does thyroid issues. Omeprazole does not cause hair loss . You need to see a doctor

1 Like

My iron count is always low because of it.

Take it and benadryl or allergy meds if it makes you itchy. I take it everyday. I have to.

1 Like

Take it daily. I have too or I’m miserable. I have worse heartburn than I did when I was preggo

More than likely it’s hormones

2 Likes

I got small bald spots after both my kids were born, in the temple too. Might just be from the pregnancy. It grows back.

2 Likes

I take this and the hair loss is from pregnancy.

1 Like

I’m on omeprazole…never had a side effect from it other than relief.

1 Like

Are you sure the meds caused the hairless and it wasn’t normal post partum hairloss

2 Likes

I’m five months postpartum on my second baby and honestly lots of hair loss, itchiness, and random heartburn to basically everything is just part of my life now.

I take it every night no issues

2 Likes

I have been on it since 2018 and have had no side effects it works amazing for my heartburn it might be a hormone change from having the baby

2 Likes

Honestly unless you have GERD the issue is a severe lack of stomach acid…table spoon of vinegar should do it. Mind you I have acid reflux as well as bad heartburn and this will give me relief for dayssss at a time.

1 Like

Never had those side effects

1 Like

Some meds can cause itchiness due to you having a allergy reaction to them.

It has not given me any side effects

1 Like

Hair loss due to pregnancy my daughter practically went bald in places after having baby

1 Like

Try Nexium. It’s sold over the counter.

It’s not the omeprazole. I’ve been taking it for years so has my mom. If you really think it’s the medication then stop taking it for a week or so and if it is that then the side effects should go away but if the hair loss and itchiness doesn’t go away then you’ll need to go to your doctor.

2 Likes

I think it’s just postpartum hair loss. I’ve been on Omeprazole for like 10 years and have never experienced hair loss with it, even after having babies.

2 Likes

if you stop or try to taper this medication your body will actually will produce MORE acid for about a good month. and it should go back to normal. cuz your body is so used to having to fight that medication and it makes more and more acid because the pill is trying to slow it down so your body try’s to make more and more. so just stopping it will definitely cause worse acid for a good month.

I’ve had take most of my adult life, btw I’m 62 never happened to me. Think U need check back with your doctor

Hair loss is from pregnancy

I don’t think it’s the meds. Hair loss after having a baby is totally normal, unfortunately.

1 Like

Omeprazole only covers and masks a problem that’s undiagnosed. I had daily heartburn and horribly. After my PCP listened to my complaints and realizing prolonged heartburn can cause issues ranging from erosions to cancer, he had me do a H-Pylori test and it came back positive. After a stringent dual antibiotic course, my symptoms disappeared. Now, because of the damage my Dr thinks occurred, I take a daily regimen of Omeprazole with no side effects whatsoever. I highly suggest you talk to your Dr and find the cause of your heartburn and not band-aid the real problem.

1 Like

Those side effects aren’t listed for that. My husband has been on it off and on for years.
It sounds like your experiencing another stomach issue or your gallbladder needs to be looked at.

1 Like

I have taken it in double the dose for the past 2 yrs and haven’t had any side effects.

1 Like

I have taken this medicine for over 10years with no side effects.

I have used it for twenty years works well but linked to cancer after a year of use you should stop also linked to other problem google it

The hair loss might not be from the meds actually I know some Moms who have temporarily had hair loss from giving birth. Not sure that’s the case here.

1 Like

I was going thru the same and feeling bloated and I got a colonostopy I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia

It’s not the omperezole. I’m on it and so was my son.

I took it for 2 weeks and I had the shakes, heightened anxiety, headache. Within 2 days of stopping the med all the symptoms stopped. Later on I found out that these were on the list of possible side effects. But are considered rare. Just because someone else doesn’t have any side effects doesn’t mean you won’t. It’s your body who decides.

4 Likes

I’ve been taking that throughout my pregnancy and haven’t experienced either of those things. It sounds more like postpartum hairloss but if in doubt stop taking the meds and see your doctor.

1 Like

I took it for 7 years never had any side effects but everyone is different

1 Like

check out famotidine…for the heartburn.

2 Likes

It never caused me hair loss.

1 Like

I take pantoprasole. Maybe have your doctor switch you to that one to try.

2 Likes

In all seriousness. Try delta 8

Off track but have you had your gallbladder checked

2 Likes

No side effects for me.

1 Like

I doubt it’s the omeprozole. I’ve been on it for years. Hairloss after having a baby is normal.

4 Likes

Not sure how old your baby is but you usually do lose hair a couple months after having a baby once your hormones level out since yiu don’t have any natural hair loss the entire time your pregnant.

4 Likes

For gastric issues I freeze aloe, the plant, I peel it and make it into tiny little cubes, freeze them and take a few pieces at night and morning, doesn’t taste bad, like eating ice, don’t chew on it, just swallow it.

1 Like

I basically make about $12,000-$14,000 a month 0nline. It’s enough to comfortably replace my old j0bs inc0me, especially considering I only w0rk about 10-13 hours a week from home. I was amazed how easy it was after I tried it.

HERE→ https://jobnet25.pages.dev/

1 Like

Should be able to get at Walmart for $4. I itch from fibromyalgia & loose my hair from blood pressure meds

I’ve been taking omeprezole for years for acid reflux. I haven’t noticed any side effects so far

2 Likes

Are you sure the hair loss and itching isn’t from the pregnancy? I had both those issues while pregnant. I’ve taken omeprezole for years and have no side effects

3 Likes

After speaking to a dietitian, for having the same issues. To help with the water causing hard burn, use flavor packets (can use just a tiny bit to) or add just a little juice to it. Some how fixes it.
I’ve taken that med a lot and never had any side effects,

1 Like

Hair loss is common after pregnancy and may not be related to the medication

2 Likes

Me and both my boys take this but haven’t had any of these side effects. There are other stomach pills like lansoprazole which is just as effective and may not give you any side effects. Hair loss may be from having you child depending on how recently you gave birth though I lost a TON of hair after having my twins but it leveled off. The itching sounds like an allergic reaction though

1 Like

Carafate. Prescription. Or over the counter Gavascon

Hairloss is most likely from having baby. Not the meds. Been on it for the past 3 years and still have my hair… Well most of it. Went through a normal shedding period where I swore I lost a wig full… Meaning you could make a wig out of the hair I lost… Hair stylist said my hair feels the same… Thick and outta control… :rofl::joy:

1 Like

I’ve been on Omeprazole for a while now. I don’t think it’s that.

Have them check your pancreas.

Try sipping a little pickle juice (dill) it might help. After you are done eating stay in an upright position or take a walk to help food digest more efficiently, let gravity work for you. When you do eat, don’t eat in a reclined position. Again gravity.

Talk with your Dr ASAP

You can buy acid reducers over the counter and try something else. My bf is allergic to that but I take it just fine.

Ive been on Omeprazole for a few years now and have never experienced any of those symptoms… Id recommend talking with your dr. But I’m pretty sure its not that medication.

1 Like

The hairloss could be a postpartum thing. I experienced that for quite awhile after deliveries. I tried Omeprazale without any luck. Felt like a volcano all the time. I have what is permanent heartburn and have been taking Nexium without any problems for years. It’s over the counter so you don’t need a dr’s rx. Look for coupons and sometimes a store like Costco or Walmart has great sales. I don’t know what I’d do without Nexium!! https://www.nexium24hr.com/us/24-hour-heartburn-relief/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhLKUBhDiARIsAMaTLnHVwekb2kVFzZKBuR_sXj8cyh3bqfKQa9Oqf24Ud_Gtwb0qP8-UQM0aAoWeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

I lost hair and was itchy after having my daughter and I wasn’t taking any medications🤷‍♀️ your body has gone thru a massive change in hormones. I would give it a bit longer before stressing about it too much.

1 Like

I took that med for a short time along with some others due to acid reflux. Turned out I had a very large hiatal hernia and wound up having surgery. I’m pretty sure your symptoms are not linked to the meds. I never had any hair loss.

Doctor ASAP! Typically itching is the start of an allergic reaction.

I’ve been on it for years, I don’t believe those are side effects. I think you need to get your thyroid checked.

Try nexium. I feel it works better. Also take biotin and magnesium as these acid reducers tend to cause muscle spasms by depleting magnesium from body.

My boyfriend has been taking it for a few years now, and hasn’t had any issues.

You need to talk to your doctor I don’t think it’s the meds causing your issues. I have took it for years and never had any issues.

I never had heartburn until I got pregnant. It’s been almost 3 years and I keep heartburn no matter what I eat.

Sounds like your allergic

Yup allergic stop taking it asap and let your dr know once you can go back

2 Likes

I have a hiatal hernia and suffer with acid replux daily. Needing to take medication. I take esomaprazole that seems to be abit better. Mil can help aswell but not oo much as in turn can make the acid worse. It’s about the way your poster is aswell if your bending down alot that can make it worse because it allows the acid to come up the throat. When laying in bed. Prop your head up with pillows. Don’t lay flat as this will make acid worse too.

1 Like

I take it for acid reflux too, and if I skip it my acid is worse! But I am 90 years old so it may react on you differently, but I have not noticed any more hair loss than normal. I get itchy but think a different med causes that----am on Keytruda for cancer too. Can you call your pharmacist and ask him? Ours has been very helpful to us about side effects of meds etc, but then we live in a small, country town in Ks. so you might not have one to discuss your concerns with—but you can at least try. Good Luck!

1 Like

You don’t say how old your baby is, however postpartum hormones can cause hair loss and itching so it may be hormones and not the medication. Don’t worry it will eventually go away

1 Like

I’ve been on omeprazale for years and never had these symptoms but I did experience this after both my pregnancy. I’d talk to your doc but I doubt it the med

1 Like

if there is a clinic near you, you can go there, They base what you pay on what your income & family size is, Having hair loss is not something I would really worry about, Now the heartburn, yes the med is helping, & you can also talk to the pharmacist about the side effects, or you can google them, But just maybe something else is going on, You need to see a Dr, really a gastro Dr

Maybe this will help

I have been taking it for years, with no symptoms

Was on it for years with no side effects but now buy nexium. Available over the counter here and honestly I find its more effective

I was on naproxen with omeprazole for inflammation due to fibromyalgia. Omeprazole was supposed to protect my stomach over time from the high dose of naproxen. It didn’t. I wound up with ulcers and a lot of problems, had to stop taking both. Years later I wound up with fatty liver problems likely due to medications since I don’t drink.