Signs a child is ready to potty train?

My 15m old is ready to potty train I think. He has went in the potty multiple times. Advice or input?

6 Likes

Both of my boys were fully trained by 2. I wouldn’t give up, keep encouraging your son. If he continues, great, if not, he will do it at his own time. But, I would take advantage of his interest and encourage

Too young. They will go randomly at that age but dont have the ability to hold and wait and often cant sense it coming. I have found around 2 for the earliest learners is doable but 3 seems to be the best.

2 Likes

Keep it up if he shows interest! My daughter was a nightmare to potty train and found peeing herself hilarious so if he is willing to actually cooperate thats great. :joy:

I am taking it slow with my son to save myself the stress, as long as he is potty trained before pre primary I’m happy lol.

Mine was copletely.potty trained at 18 months. My mom had 4 of us back to back and we were all potty trained before the next one was born.

1 Like

Each child is different. Don’t push just take it slow.

1 Like

Take it slow and go with them! They’re never too young to potty train. If it works, yay! If not, it was a good start :smiling_face: I’d keep offering the potty for now and see where it takes you.

Praise him whether he goes or not

Honestly way too young to understand and will just regress backwards. Wait till baby is 2 or 3 and try x

1 Like

Waking in the morning or after a nap with a dry diaper is a sign they can control their bladder. I think at 15 months him going on the potty is just by chance and unless you sit him on the potty every 30 mins you are going to be cleaning alot of accidents.

Being able to tell you he/she has to go before they do, sitting on the potty, being able to dress and undress…There are other signs and a child needs all of the them to be ready. Plus, they need to mentally be ready. It’s a rare percentage of kids that would be ready before 2. The average age to be potty-trained is 3.5. Starting or forcing it early tends to lead to regression or more accidents so kid isn’t technically potty-trained.
(Taking off a diaper or crying when it’s dirty/wet is not a sign of readiness.)