Signs of ADHD in young kids?

Those who have young (3-5) children with ADD/ADHD what made you think they had it? What would the children do and how did the doctor diagnose? I believe my daughter might have it.

My son was 4 when he was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD and 3 with sensory processing disorder. He was very hyper, couldn’t focus, sleeping was terrible, couldn’t sit still for short periods of time, couldn’t complete simple tasks, always talking, and much more. All three also runs in his dad’s family as well. It was a battle getting him diagnosed. I noticed a huge change in him right after he turned two. It was like his whole behavior changed over night. Honestly, if it wasn’t for his speech therapist, occasional therapist and changing doctors to someone who would actually listen to me about all of my concerns I don’t think he would be where he is today. It took almost two years to get him diagnosed. It is true that a lot of doctors won’t diagnose until they start school but I wouldn’t stop fighting for my son to get the help he needed. Changing doctors was a life saver for him. Therapy helped to a point but I knew he needed more than just therapy. Medication has been a lifesaver for him in so many ways plus being in a school setting helps also. My son was referred to a Neurodevelopmental doctor for diagnosis. He was also tested for Autism since it also runs in his dads family. His PCP handles his ADHD medication now.

I was told by my pediatrician that they won’t diagnose ADD or ADHD in children under the age of 5 because when they’re under the age of 5, the signs of ADD and ADHD are considered normal behaviors for that age.

1 Like