Signs of fairy intolerance in babies?

What were signs your baby has an intolerance to dairy in breast milk? My son who is 3 weeks has been spitting up and sometimes he spits up in his mouth and yesterday he threw up 4 times after feeding, we went to the dr today and for prescribed reflux meds to give it a 2 week trial and see if it helps if not I have to transition him to a non dairy formula and at the moment we are EBF. I don’t want to stop breastfeeding if I don’t have to but he seems super fussy even after just feeding him and especially when he’s in the car seat so just wanting to know other experiences and signs.

8 Likes

My babies had the same symptoms but breastmilk is still easier for babies digestion even if I eat dairy .so I tried to cut it out of my diet but it does get better .my baby girl had GERD and a milk intolerance it’s taken some time but it does get easier especially after the 3 month mark I felt like .she also had diarrhea and excessive vomiting.she would arch her back when I fed her and just seemed uncomfortable all the time .

Sometimes it just takes time. Maybe it’s what you’re eating but idk. I have a 5w old right now and she would be my 7th living child but 3rd breastfed child. Now besides thinking she may have colic she is the worst of all my babies with spit up. Even a few times where it was so bad it came up her nose. Now at 5w and a few days the spit up has waned… she still spits up but it’s not that bad. I do treat her a bit like she has reflux meaning I use pace feeding the best I can, the colic type bottles as I exclusively pump, and feed upright, burp often, etc… I do have some drops but try not to use them unless super needed. But have noticed as she gets older it’s getting better.

You can eliminate dairy from your diet and continue nursing. You don’t have to switch to formula.

2 Likes

You can cut dairy from your diet first. Does baby have diarrhea? Reflux is common and babies usually outgrow it. If there was a true dairy intolerance there would be excessive gas, diarrhea and vomitting. My son was diagnosed with MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) he suffered with all of the above and would have open, bleeding raw blisters on his bum.

My son who was lactose , when breastfeeding he was very fussy during and after feeds. Was throwing up and it would be chunky or lots of it. Inswitched to formula not realizing it could have been dairy causing troubles (I didn’t have a good LC or doctor at the time) formula he was much worse getting sick instantly off of bottles and doctors kept dismissing us. When he started getting mucus in his diapers I reached out to others and qas suggested to go dairy free, so I switched to a soy based formula I noticed small things right away like he didn’t throw up nearly as much and seemed less irritated by day 3 he was barely getting sick at all after bottles and didn’t seem nearly as irrated and in pain from gas as he was before

They don’t fly as well. Maybe sprinkle more glitter around. Not sure.

9 Likes

I have a 5 month old like this non dairy diet and just screams in the car if you figure it out let me know please

I couldn’t breastfeed my reflux baby because I couldn’t limit how many ounces he had. He couldn’t have more than 2 Oz at a time and was fed every 2 hrs

And if your baby is dairy intolerant you have to stop eating all dairy until you stop breastfeeding

Bloody stool in babies diaper is how we found out.