Stay-At-Home-Moms: How Do You Make It Work on One Income?

QUESTION:

"How do you stay-at-home moms make it work financially?

My husband works so hard, long hours, and has a side job that he does in evenings and weekends. My maternity leave is up in Jan, and we would like me to stay at home with our girl, but we just can’t afford it.

I know it depends on what the husband makes. We used to do so well I don’t know what happened. We only buy essentials, cut out a lot of unnecessary spending.

And I did the numbers, and once my maternity pay stops, there is no way we can make it on just his income. Which sucks because daycare is so expensive if I have to go back to work."

RELATED QUESTION: I’m Thinking of Putting My Toddler Into Daycare: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“My husband and I always worked opposite shifts. For example, he worked 6-2:30 and I worked 2-10:30. We made sure to have one day off together each week but it worked out so we only needed a babysitter for an hour. It’s hard but you can make it work.”

“Honestly it takes a large single income and a lot of cutting corners and bargain shopping. I’ve been a SAHM for almost 13 years now. We follow a pretty strict budget, meal prep, stock the pantry and freezer with taxes. We buy bulk beef and pork right from the farm, have our own chickens for eggs, and a decent size garden.”

“When you get two incomes you ger used to spending two incomes. You will have to take a harder look at budget. Even to the point of selling off the second vehicle or something that will take care of a big chunk.”

“SAHM here! It is by no means easy. At all. But honestly, what it came down to for us was: 1) Child care would be too expensive that me working wouldn’t have made a difference. 2) We thought it was more important for our child(ren) to be raised by their parents. But at the end of the day, it comes down to what you think is best for your family as a whole.”

“Whatever you do, do NOT join an MLM (multi-level marketing program). The Huns may say it’s a good way to make money look at income statements the company puts out themselves please if you’re tight on money do not spend it on an MLM. They prey on people in hard situations.”

“If I could do it all again, I wouldn’t give up my career completely or at all. If you can somehow figure out a way to keep a foot in the door with your employer, I would, whether that is working part time, working from home, whatever.”

“I was a stay at home mom as much as we could afford, in the end I worked jobs around my ex husband’s hours, so we limited daycare costs. So if he worked 9-5 I would try to find a job that was 6-2, it was hard but we managed.”

“Budget and plan your groceries/meals. Don’t eat out. Buy meat in bulk and repackage at home in ziplocks and freeze. That’ll save you tons. I’m also a huge fan of keeping a well-stocked pantry. Make from scratch. And while you’re home, watch electricity and water usage. It’s not easy. But you can do it!”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

17 Likes

I’ve been a sahm since January, we have a strict budget we follow and we also put money in an envelope that is numbered 1-50. That helps us out a lot with unexpected things like a new tire or something like that. Would that maybe work for you guys?

1 Like

Are you able to watch other kids for extra income?

2 Likes

I make more than my bf but I stay home w the 3 kids. I budget, its hard af and u keep going.

1 Like

I did in home childcare and had a photography business on the side.

1 Like

Maybe consider a job you can work from home? A call center would be hard with an infant but look on indeed.

1 Like

If your income is low your CCS will be high. Look at what you will get in the rebate, centres publish their rates BEFORE the rebate is applied. It could be up to 85%, and there is a very broad band where you will get 50% rebate.

My husband and I always worked opposite shifts. For example he worked 6-2:30 and I worked 2-10:30. We made sure to have one day off together each week but it worked out so we only needed a babysitter for an hour. It’s hard but you can make it work.

8 Likes

My husband and I work opposites shifts both Monday- Friday but he works day and I clean at night.

1 Like

For a few years I took a part time job in retail. Evenings only after 5pm, and only 3-4 shifts per week. So the husband was home with the kids, no need to pay a sitter. My extra 300 a week was enough to allow me to stay home during the day. I also joined up for a direct sales company that I can work at as much or as little as I want for an extra couple hundred a month.

Honestly it takes a large single income and a lot of cutting corners and bargain shopping.
I’ve been a sahm for almost 13 years now.
We follow a pretty strict budget, Meal prep, Stock the pantry and freezer with taxes. We buy bulk beef and pork right from the farm , have our own chickens for eggs And a decent size garden.

6 Likes

I stay home but money isn’t an issue since we moved n he took a higher paying job. Then taxes came and the government checks. We have managed to save money. With 2 kids fulltime one in diapers other is 10. Plus a 6 yr old we share so I’m running to get him. I try to have a job but daycare sux and I run so much. I’m thinking about taking on photography

1 Like

A lot of sahm’s do some sort of network marketing. I’m not a mom i also work full time but my husband was laid off due to corona virus so i picked up Tupperware. It’s basically sales itself and i have been able to keep us on top with money still going into the savings! I have open spots on my team if you are interested in more information send me a message!

1 Like

Find a side hustle you can do from home and start it now. It can be anything from becoming a virtual assistant (depending on your computer skills, bookkeeping skills, etc) or starting a blog, sell stuff online through drop shipping or retail arbitrage those are a few things that come to mind. You can do it Mama!

2 Likes

Strict budget. I actually started to sell scentsy and that helps. It does get slow at times and struggle some. Youre strong. :black_heart:

Work opposite shifts. It sucks but no daycare. That’s what hubs and I do

Look into hone care or a job its hard but single income is harder alone money causes problems in relationships make sure its both participating. Cant be on one person

SAHM here! It is by no means easy. At all. But honestly, what it came down to for us was: 1) Child care would be too expensive that me working wouldn’t have made a difference. 2) We thought it was more important for our child(ren) to be raised by their parents. But at the end of the day, it comes down to what you think is best for your family as a whole.

3 Likes

I’m not a stay at home mom, but my mom has a Ebay store and makes her own hours and she’s a stay at home mom.

Whatever you do, do NOT join an MLM. The Huns may say it’s a good way to make money look at income statements the company puts out themselves please if you’re tight on money do not spend it on an mlm. They prey on people in hard situations

4 Likes

Couponing. Thrift shopping. We only have basic internet and netflix. My partner and I each have a cell phone that cost $100 a month for both. We spend about $150 on groceries every 2 weeks for a family of 4.

Strict budget. As SAHMs our duty is to take care of financial management at home that’s a job in itself

I was a stay at home mom as much as we could afford, in the end I worked jobs around my ex husband’s hours, so we limited daycare costs. So if he worked 9-5 I would try to find a job that was 6-2, it was hard but we managed.

When you get two incomes you ger used to spending two incomes. You will have to take a harder look at budget. Even to the point of selling off the second vehicle or something that will take care of a big chunk.

5 Likes

This would be an awesome question for the ladies in STAY AT HOME MAMAS!

If you know other moms that need babysitting or fine elderly people to help clean there home on the side and can help watch your girl why there do little things on the side

Technically I’m a sahm and my boyfriend works but I babysitt to pays my part of the bills so it works out

You could always look into working at a daycare for now. I used to work at one and the people who worked there got great discounts. They just couldn’t work in the same room their child was in. I had just started early childhood education courses, didn’t have a degree yet. It’s not home but at least it’s still in the same building as your little one. :blush:

We made this choice 8 years ago for me to stay home in doing so we down sized our home to lower the payment sucked but it was just part of it and paid off both vehicles with income tax an savings. My cars 11 years old his trucks 15 years old. I do make decals, quilts, an other crafts to sell but it’s not a dependable income. We let go of one life style to have more time with my kids an one on one. Best choice we ever made. My husband retired last year an now we are both home with the kids.

Budget and plan your groceries/meals. Don’t eat out. Buy meat in bulk and repackage at home in ziplocks and freeze. That’ll save you tons. I’m also a huge fan of keeping a well-stocked pantry. Make from scratch. And while you’re home, watch electricity and water usage. It’s not easy. But you can do it!

I have to work night shifts my daughter is with dad over night then I come home he goes to work I do the child care. Not ideal or easy but needs must

1 Like

I remember living in a trailer as a child with my two siblings and my dad was a janitor all my life. Times have changed. Maybe a readjustment on not just the essential things but really on the home and vehicle may help. I do know this much it is doable it will take more adjusting. Maybe reevaluate where you live and what you drive.

Well, look more closely. Maybe there are other things you can do without that you haven’t thought of. When ours was born, I went back to work with a goal of paying off debt to stay home. We focused on that and within 6 months, I was home. I have babysat off and on ever since. That was 9 years ago. :heart:

1 Like

It would be extremely hard to go to one income if your lifestyle is based on two incomes. Sure you can cut out the unnecessary spending but if your mortgage and cars etc are based on what you can afford with two incomes that makes it very hard unless you can downsize your home and sell a car or something of that nature. Do you have family that maybe could help you out with your child for some time while you go back to work and you guys look at ways to adjust your lifestyle? I wish you luck!

2 Likes

My son is 16 months and our baby girl is coming in Nov. I have been a sahm since I had my son. My husband got a better paying job so I could stay home. We paid off the cars before we had our son and stayed within our budget when it came to renting a bigger house after he was born. Of course we like nicer cars and a bigger house but me being able to stay home right now is more important.

How much are the car payments? Most people have way too much car. And house payment? What can hubby do to increase his income? What can you do on the side to generate that extra two hundred a month? How much are you spending on groceries? Look into Dave Ramsey. Helped us go from two to one income. It was an adjustment at first but we eventually figured out all of the above things.

Childcare is so expensive and scary anymore. You’d just be paying a stranger to raise your child. I’d try to find a way. Different ways to cut costs. Assistance in your community. Babysit. Cook. Clean. I know a sahm mom doesn’t want to do anymore of those things for anyone else but sometimes you have to sacrifice. Do you have any talents? Can you paint or make things?

I made the choice to close my salon studio to stay home. A few things we did were: cut cable, changed our cell package, talked to car insurance as vehicles wouldn’t be driven as much( lowered it), super conscience about water and electricity usage, sale stuff on varagesale, I use kroger coupons on the app, in a year I got $100 back on ibotta, when I shop online I try to use Rakuten, I try to shop target when I can get a $$ gift card for future. You could always do child care in home or pet sitting( this is huge here). If you are crafty - you can always sell your goods

You could become a substitute teacher (if you have a degree). Our area is always desperate for them and you can pick and choose when you work. I only work days when someone I want is available to babysit (mom/sister)

If I could do it all again, I wouldn’t give up my career completely or at all. If you can somehow figure out a way to keep a foot in the door with your employer, I would, whether that is working part time, working from home, whatever.

1 Like

In not a stah but had to cut my hours down to just over 16 hours a week, I now work around my partner and my lovely mum has my ds one day a week, I still contribute to the Bill’s and still have some of my own money, yes it has dropped ALOT and I miss it but it’s good to show our children the value of working to earn. We just about manage without any benefits or childcare costs. We try to have 1 day off together every week to do family things and it can be pretty exhausting for us both. But it’s working at the moment

I did babysitting from home, I also use coupons, we dropped our cable, keeped our internet, and got Netflix and watched the rest on line. That and we needed the internet for his job. To send and receive emails. We use it to pay bills, witched cut down on gas and time on running to that place to pay the bill. We dropped down to one cellphone as well. Now that was in the early years of our marriage.
Things have changed a little. We do have fiber optic, but that was because it was part of the package with the rental property, that my husband works for We get it for free. If we had to pay for it I still wouldn’t have it to this day.

Try to find a stay home job or just part time when a relative can watch her.
I was a nanny when we got married once we had two kids I stayed home and babysat other kids, then I worked at my kids school as a lunch lady once they were all (3) in school. Once that no longer worked we had a 4th and I worked at daycare with him.
This year I am home virtually schooling all of them. My husband works at a big 3 and just became a journeyman electrician. You just have to be flexible and take whatever jobs works with what you need at home. My kids are 15, 13, 11 and 5

We save our taxes to pay rent through out the year. That way we can afford to live off of one budget

My fiancé works and I babysit at home to bring money in.

apply for childcare assistance at your local DES office. I’m not sure what the income levels are for a two income household, but they could help with some of the cost of daycare. with DES I pay about $200 a month instead of $200 a week

What about work from home?

Have you looked into work from home opportunities? There’s data entry, product reviews for things you do buy, surveys, etc

I’ve been a stay at home mom for almost two years. We sold both our vehicles and got a suv that we share now since we don’t really need two vehicles. That helped a lot. Also, I babysit 4 days a week. My child gets a play date which is cool and I make a little extra money. Try picking up a babysitting gig or something similar. I also clean an office once a month for a quick extra $100. Anything helps really.

3 Likes

Budgeting groceries is a huge help. Lots of YouTube videos about how to do it. We currently go to Sam’s once a month for most groceries, then a small Walmart run middle of the month for milk and fresh produce. Meal planning is a must. This got us down to the ideal $400 a month for 4 people

I babysat for extra money.

Be a nanny for another family and see if they can compromise if you bring you’re own little along.

I’m babysitting for extra money, but my husband is gone four states away 24/7 except for some major holidays he comes home. He gradually made more and more throughout our marriage so for me to stay home it wasn’t a huge deal, we lost daycare expense but lost insurance and his was more expensive. We’ve been fine though. We’ve refinanced our house and paid extra when we could. We only have 1 vehicle payment. We have 3 kids so daycare for 3 would be more than I make a week or very close to not being worth it. I make $100-125 a week babysitting 1 kid right now. Every little bit helps.

I don’t mean this in a rude way but it sounds like your lifestyle was built on a two person income. I’ve been a stay at home mom for almost 10yrs now and we are fine but that’s because our life was built on a one person income. We have no help. He have no family to babysit. We can not afford daycare so financially I had to stay home. We only had one car payment and just paid that off. We rent. I have called every one of our bill companies and got them down as cheap as they will go. There’s a lot of things my kids go without but they don’t know that of course.
You need to essentially, rebuild your life on one income to make it work. We are a family of 6 and make it work very well on less than 60grand.

3 Likes

Is there anything you can do on the side from home? We run an Etsy site that helps a ton. I know it sounds crazy, but it will work out. Attack any debt you have to get rid of monthly payments. Get rid of cable and find the cheapest internet provider in your area. My heart goes out to you mama, i went back to work for a year when my daughter was 10 weeks old. It is very hard. But if you can work to build more income from home somehow and/or cut out anything extra, you can do it. We have a budget in excel that helps us greatly too.