The mailman claims he was bitten by my dog and now won't deliver my mail: Help!

Tell them you want proof it was your dog

1 Like

They will refuse to deliver for even a loose dog, whatever they feel is unsafe. My fiance is carrier, and my dad was also. If your dog bit them, I’d probably hold your mail indefinitely too.

1 Like

Forward mail o your neighbor

be glad they arent pushing for your dog to be put to sleep. Cut your losses and get a PO box. Its a huge company and I dont see you winning any cases.

Personally I would ask around the neighbors to see if anyone has a camera. Just to be sure it really was your dog that bitten him. Then call the homeowners insurance and asked them what is the description of the dog that the mailmen described. Explain the situation about your neighbors dog. You have to fight for yourself because nobody will fight for you. Don’t give up.

3 Likes

You can try to appeal it through the Post Master Generals office or rent the box or don’t get mail … it’s as simple as that. Why would the mailman lie and why would you think you’re mail should be kept for free when everyone else pays for their P.O. Boxes? All you can do is wait until the case settles and in the mean time take pictures of the dog loose and present them to your insurance company and/or get affidavits from your neighbors attesting to your claims the neighbors dog is running wild. No mail carriers needs or deserves to get bitten simply providing a “free” service to anyone. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Get in touch with the Postmaster for your area.

My dog bit someone and was deemed vicious and had to be put in a kennel for life or put down. if put in kennel only could come out for vet or court and had to have muzzle and log chain that was 3ft long

Yeah something is not adding up here

Get a lawyer. The likelihood it was the neighbors dog is very high. I’d have a lawyer prove that it wasn’t your dog. Also invest in a camera that views your mailbox area. Also ask your neighbors if they have a ring doorbell camera or cameras in general that might catch your mailbox area and ask for that footage to see if you can see who’s dog bit the mailman.