The mailman claims he was bitten by my dog and now won't deliver my mail: Help!

I have a problem with the post office. They claim a mailman was biten by one of our dogs. I have three pitbulls, but there is no way they can get out as the yard is fenced in. My next door neighbor has a pitbull who gets loose all the time and is walked without a leach. Anyway, the mailman lawyer contacted my homeowner’s insurance and they are handling the case. In the meantime. Every since the mailman got bitten (going on two months$ the post office refuses to deliver our mail, so we go to pick it up twice a week. Today I was told I need to rent a PO Box because we can’t keep going to get the mail through them . The PO Box cost $99.00 every six months. I refuse to “rent” a PO box when it’s them the ones who refuse to deliver my mail. So I take the time to go pick it up twice a week. Now the post office staff do not want to serve me unless I rent the PO box. I feel my rights are being violated. And it is a federal crime to mess with anybody’s mail. Anybody knows what I should do to denounce what the post office is doing??

85 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. The mailman claims he was bitten by my dog and now won't deliver my mail: Help! - Mamas Uncut

Prove that it wasn’t your dog that bit him

19 Likes

Consult a lawyer. Invest in home cameras or see if any neighbors have one so they can tell it’s not your dog that bit the mailman.

13 Likes

They’re not “messing “ with your mail . If the dog isn’t yours and was loose I don’t get how your homeowners is handling it and not the neighbors

15 Likes

The post office does not have to deliver mail to houses with aggressive dogs for their own safety. Seem like if it’s wasn’t your dog then you go some homework to do and kinks to work out.

25 Likes

You absolutely Have To Prove it Wasn’t Your Dog.

11 Likes

Unless u can prove it wasn’t your dog it’s your responsibilities. You are gonna have to rent a box :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Exactly what “ rights “ do you feel are being violated? You have no “ right” to have mail delivered. It’s a privilege. In order to have mail delivered there are many requirements that must be met. No one messes with your mail. It’s held for a reasonable amount of time and then returned to sender. You can’t just pick your mail up twice a week forever. That’s called “ caller service “ and believe me it’s much more expensive than a P.O. Box.

12 Likes

I’d be going insane to prove it wasn’t my dog, checking cameras of my own if had none then neighbors, even the neighbors of this aggressive dog.

No way I would be eating things up with my homeowners when my dogs did nothing.

12 Likes

They’re not “messing” with you: A mail carrier being bitten by a dog is a safety hazard…they’re protecting their employees. Which in cases of aggressive animals they are allowed to do.
After two months of the issue not being solved, it’s reasonable to tell you they cannot keep holding your mail like they have been.
I know it sucks for you and is especially frustrating since it wasn’t your dog but they don’t know that.
I understand the frustration if it wasn’t actually your dog that bit, but if the dogs look similar or the dog was on/near your property then that is why they’re saying it was your dog.
You need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the dog wasn’t yours.

It’s great your home owners insurance is handling this but you still need to be involved especially if you’re wanting to prove your innocence.
Talk to them and ask them what you can provide to prove the dog is not yours.
Then start tracking down the proof needed.

3 Likes

Prove your dog didn’t bite him.

12 Likes

I hate to say it but unless you can prove it wasn’t your dog, you are probably stuck with the consequences.

6 Likes

You need to prove it was not your dogs that bit the postie. Take photos of all the dogs and ask the postie which one it was. Have the neighbours dog photo in there also.

13 Likes

You are lucky the police haven’t come and taken your dogs really.

11 Likes

If it wasn’t your dog then how did the mailman get your homeowners insurance information? You had to have given that to them. I would have refused without proof it was your dog!

17 Likes

They can’t refuse to hold and hand over your mail. They can’t force you to rent a P.O. Box. Go higher than your local post office. They’re a federal entity.

5 Likes

Coming from a carrier that has been bitten, I can tell you they take this very seriously. We’ve had carriers killed over this so believe me they do have the right to suspend your mail.
Do you have a good friend or relative that can accept your mail if you have it forwarded? That would be the only option I can think of other than a P.O. Box. Also if you have a smaller po in your area, the P.O. Box fee will probably be cheaper. Either way you will still have to fill out a form to fwd your mail.
Hopefully you’ve checked with the office to make sure your carrier is doing ok?

20 Likes

You do realize they can put down your dogs for aggression right. Your mail shouldn’t be your biggest worry. Just rent a damn po box

Just need to prove it was not your dogs. Until then they are still providing you your mail and they are not tampering with it.
They are protecting their carrier, who most likely after the incident doesn’t feel safe delivery to your house.

13 Likes

There are a plethora of reasons that the postal service can, and will refuse to deliver. They’re pretty much all for safety reasons. Typically they’ll slip a card in your mailbox that indicates the reason for refusing to deliver. It also states what can be done to rectify the situation. Is it possible that you can speak to them and come up with a solution that works best for everyone? Maybe keeping your dogs in until after the mail gets delivered, or moving your mailbox further away from the fence? Also, was there a change in letter carriers? If it were a your regular carrier, than the dogs would know them by scent and it would be highly unlikely for them to bite someone that they know isn’t a threat. They’d pretty much have to be in a vulnerable state. Like if they were antagonized or injured. My husband used to be a letter carrier, and quite a few of his family members, including his parents, worked for the PO. It’s not typical, but I have heard stories of letter carriers scamming, so I also wouldn’t rule that out. Have you inquired as to how the bitten carrier is doing?

2 Likes

This is why we got cameras. Get some, we got ours at Walmart on sale.

2 Likes

You don’t know if it was your dog or the neighbor’s dog but I bet that mailman knows for sure whose dog bit him. They work that route everyday and are familiar with where the dogs are. Take responsibility for your dogs.

14 Likes

I had a neighbor who let their chihuahua run the street. The whole street had their mail stopped until the neighbor’s dog was not allowed to run loose. I believe the neighbor lost delivery permanently because it took several notices from the post office to do anything about their dog. This was years ago so things may have changed but I can’t stand USPS for other reasons. Our local post office is worthless.

He was bit, and you feel violated? Wow… get rid of the dogs and they will deliver your mail or get the box. Simple.

7 Likes

They can refuse to deliver for alot of reasons. Like if they have to walk through your yard and you have a dog loose in the yard. Aggressive or not, they can keep walking by. I don’t blame them, dog attacks suck. I have a PO box and it’s 65 every 6 months, maybe get a smaller one. I wouldn’t deliver to a yard with 3 large dogs loose in it

1 Like

I would put a mailbox on a pole near the street far from your house. He passes by anyway to deliver mail to your neighbours. Good luck

5 Likes

Have you explained to them about your neighbours dog

3 Likes

Join the group Your Legal Questions Answered every state is different.

Video the other dog out to prove it’s not your dogs!

8 Likes

U could change ur address to a family member or close friends n won’t have deal with all that I’d install cameras so if somebody was to get close to ur dog it all on camera if dog was to bite. People get on my nerves see a pitbull wanna be a that’s a dangerous dog bla bla. That all that is going on here. Hating on ur dog cuz of the breed. We have a pitbull she’s a full blooded brindle people afraid of her n worse thing about her is her bark. Find the head person at the postal service n fight that. They can’t make u buy a box to get ur mail in.

4 Likes

Your three dogs arr in the yard all day? Or just to go potty? You will have a hard time proving anything if your dogs are constantly in your yard , now if they aren’t you can get your neighbors to back you up that your dogs are only out to do thier business. You will have a hard time proving it wasn’t your dogs otherwise. We had German Shepards I get it but mail carriers have a dangerous job this happens frequently to them and is traumatic . Even in a case of mistaken identity you are likely going to need to get the box maybe just short term ??

2 Likes

Personally, I would consult with an attorney. If they’ve already contacted your home owner’s & refuse delivery and are forcing a PO Box… chances are, this is going to get a LOT uglier before it gets better. In the meantime, make sure all of your animals are UTD on vaccines, check your yard/fence & look for anywhere they may be able to escape… cover all the bases you can.

18 Likes

Perhaps invest in cameras and keep the dogs inside when the mail is due to arrive…you may have to invest in an enclosure with a top and escape proof bottom.but definitely either keep them inside , escape proof enclosure and cameras to cover your butt…

They can absolutely do this Over safety issues and if homeowners ins is handling it them something happened!

5 Likes

They have to prove it was your dog and go over their head

1 Like

l get paid over $ 184 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 15496 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkinfo610.pages.dev/

Well would you rather them pick up your dogs and euthanize them? I’d refuse to deliver mail to any residence where I or a co worker was bitten. You are lucky they didn’t sue you or haven’t yet.

4 Likes

I know it’s not fair that it was the neighbor’s dog that bit the mailman. But since you have no way to prove that, all they know is that the mailman was bitten while on your property. And since they have the right to refuse delivery in that instance, you have to rent a post office box. I know it doesn’t seem right, but that is the law. If they didn’t have you do it, they would have everyone who has a post office box wanting to pick up their mail at the counter for free. That would be chaos. I don’t know of any way to fix the situation. You could file a complaint on your neighbor for violating the leash law for letting their dog run loose while your dogs are restrained, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

1 Like

I don’t understand how can people have this viscous breed animal in the house n neighborhood where there are children playing around!

I have seen videos of pitbulls escaping “fully fenced” house and attacking innocent kids n people n in some cases killing them.

So yes anyone who is having these kind of dogs r irresponsible citizen

P.S dont bother reply me if u wamt to defend those people who owns these dogs!!!

20 Likes

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 145 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I­’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $1979­0 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

More Inf0>>> https://SuccessFullyJob28.pages.dev

Unless you have absolute proof it wasn’t your dog it probably was. Letter carriers face dangerous situations daily that most people have NO IDEA about.

4 Likes

I deliver mail for usps and my office handles dog bites the exact same way, it’s your responsibility to keep your dogs contained, we are just trying to do our jobs and get home to our families unharmed, it’s scary being attacked by a dog, I had it happen and I no longer deliver parcels to the door of that home but I can still safely approach the mailbox to deliver, so my customer put a parcel locker on the street next to their mailbox. It sounds like you’re blaming the postal service but in reality it’s your neighbor who is responsible for not keeping the dogs contained. We carrier’s are human and deserve to feel safe while providing for our family. My health is more important than your mail. If it’s not safe, would you deliver there? Would you expect someone else to? Not cool

18 Likes

They have the law and rights on their side to not deliver to a home where they have been bitten by a dog. Unless you can prove it’s not your dog/dogs there isn’t much you can do.

3 Likes

I suggest you get a ring bell to catch the dog that roams around the neighborhood and send it to your insurance company.

2 Likes

Just to give you a heads up. Pits can escape fully fenced in yards. My girl can scale a 6ft fence without a running start. Unless you have video proving it wasn’t your dog then you might just want to get the P.O. Box. Any farther mail carriers probably won’t deliver to your house. And if your in a state that they are labeled vicious breed. You might risk having your dog put to sleep.

2 Likes

Ask them what color and how big the dog was n when they say what color and how big it was then you can show them proof of the colors n sizes of your dogs and take them to the neighbors house so they can charge the right person n have the dog put down

So the mailman does that same route every day. Pretty sure he knows your dog from your neighbors dogs. Obviously he is scared to go back up there so why would he lie and say it was your dog and not your neighbors?? What sense does that even make??? Why do you think he’d want to go back to the same place he got bit?? I don’t blame them one bit. I’d be more worried about what’s actually gonna come out of it. I’d pay the $99.00 every six months verses any legal trouble or having to get rid of my dog. You taking it further and fighting them could result in that.

6 Likes

There is a home I walk by that has 2 pitbulls. One is a sweet sweet angel, the other is a demon from heck. The homeowners had a chain link fence, and had to get a tall picket fence when they got demon dog, so they now have 2 fences. He still gets out. He’s come after me 5 times. I’ve gone that way and saw him attacking others at least 2 times that I can recall atm. The mailman doesn’t deliver their mail either because it’s not safe. They had to get a PO Box. It’s their right to deliver mail safely, and if it’s not safe, to not deliver it at all.

3 Likes

Handle your animals.
Or pay for the inconvenience of having them. Simple.

8 Likes

Do you have a home security camera? If so just look back and see if anything occurred with your dogs. If they did then they have every right to not deliver your mail if they feel threatened. Who wants to get bitten over some mail? The dogs are your and your neighbors responsibility. If you believe that it was their dog, have a talk with them. If you have proof that it was their dog present it.

4 Likes

Contact and file a complaint with the post master general

2 Likes

You need a camera, every one should have them now a days and get the P.O. Box. A pit bull can absolutely scale an 8 ft privacy fence from a sitting position with zero effort. That is a fact. You have no proof to back up your story currently and if you continue on the way you are you face having your animals put down. Do your research first and foremost before anything else.

4 Likes

Get a lawyer ask for proof of bite, arange a doggie line including the neighbors pit and go from there.

1 Like

Why not rent the Po box for now…once you prove it wasn’t your dog then sue the post office for repayment of the Po box…

2 Likes

Get a lawyer if you don’t think your dog did it don’t let your insurance settle without an investigation but you could be wrong so I’d keep my mouth shut and get a lawyer

5 Likes

In this case I would lawyer up if it wasn’t your dog you need to protect yourself and your animals

2 Likes

Put security cameras up. When you catch the neighbor dog on your property you will have proof it wasn’t your dog and will be able to fight it better. Right now all he knows is he got bit on your property with no way of knowing who dog it actually is

2 Likes

Actually, getting your mail delivered to your home s a privilege that can be taken away from you if certain laws and guidances are not followed. You should see if any of your neighbors have cameras that recorded the day the mailman got bite so you can prove it wasn’t your dog. But if you can’t do that and you want your mail you will get the PO box for the privilege of being able to receive your mail. Also if after weeks of you picking it up free of charge from said post office,if you went in bi*ching Everytime about the situation I’m sure the clerks did not want to listen to you about it anymore, hints sending you to get a PO box so they won’t have direct contact with you. :person_shrugging:

11 Likes

l get paid over $130 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18214 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingOption115.pages.dev/

Contact federal post office, they have no proof it was your dog but you were a convenient cash cow… since the loose dog probably “bit” him.

5 Likes

Why didn’t you get notified that your dog got out and bit someone? People will do anything to blame a pit before they blame another dog. Seen it with my babies. My pit doesn’t do what her sister does (great Dane) but my pit gets blamed more just because of her breed. I can understand why they would blame yours though if the neighbors dog looks like yours and breaks out. We’ve dealt with that situation too. I second those saying these are things you should be asking your lawyer and not facebook and for now eat the cost of having a pet. It sucks but as a pet owner we have to do it. I also second the idea that you should dog a doggy line up with all the dogs so they can verify who it was and make sure your lawyer has proof of bite from post office or the filed complaint. They would have to have like workers compensation or urgent care records in the event of any bite they usually give a tetanus and rabies vaccine. Also have they asked for your dogs vaccine records if they haven’t tell your lawyers.

7 Likes

We had a mailman get out of her truck to help chase my small a**hole dog I told please don’t help I told her to just get back in her truck because he’ll bite if she chases him and sure enough she goes charging towards my dog has he freaks out and bit her ankle so they stopped delivering our mail to and started accidentally losing packages it was ridiculous

2 Likes

If he got bite by said bite pitbull then said pitbull wouldn’t have let go easy so someone knows what said pitbull looks like

2 Likes

l get paid over $ 195 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18378 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
Go to This. https://highincomejob758.pages.dev/

l get paid over $130 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18214 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingOption129.pages.dev/

My mother was a mail carrier and told me some terrifying stories about dogs attacking her and other carriers. It’s about personal safety. Their safety comes first before mail convenience for you. Focus on getting evidence that it wasn’t your dog(s)that bit the carrier. The post office is being reasonably cautious in regards to your mail. Once your dog is cleared from blame, then discuss resuming mail delivery to your address.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t want to deliver either if I was bitten. Is it possible the neighbors dog got into your yard and did it and because there are dogs in your house they assume it’s yours? I’m guessing you don’t have cameras in the front of your house. You can try to contact your own lawyer and see what they say.

2 Likes

If ur dog bit a present then not being funny but wouldn’t said dong be put down by orthoriy for one 2 is they feel they can’t deliver ur mail but have no proof then they should pay for the po box until this gose Court they can not stop u from picking ur mail up its agenst the law they can stop it being delivered but they gotta prove it was youer dog qnd in doing so ur dog would of been put down so there no proof there I know expensive but get video camera coz they play silly bugger after it’s been proven false but until they proven its ur dog that bit the post man although they can wile investagashio gose on stop delivering ur mail they can not stop u picking up the mail qnd can’t force u in to making a po box before proving it was or was not ur dog simple

Did you talk to the head postmaster at the post office?

The post office totally has the right to do everything they are doing. Does it it suck, yes. But it’s within their legal rights. Try contacting the post master in your area. But that’s really the only thing you can do, until that specific mail person is no longer on your route.

Because we have 3 pitties, we have camera’s to see our dogs and the mail man walk up the driveway. Our dogs area is seperate from where the mail goes but the mailman does have to walk by the dogs. It sounds like an excuse to me because if they were bit you would’ve been notified. Is it possible to just keep the dogs inside when the mailman comes?? That’s what we do, we don’t seem to have a problem so far.

Not their problem. Suck it up. If your dog bit the mailman you will be paying for sure.

What state are you in. Get a camera. It has saved me a million times over. People will do anything to be aholes but it changes when they are recorded!

They aren’t messing with your mail though…they are holding it, and receiving mail isn’t a right

6 Likes

My guess is you’re going to be picking up a homeowners insurance cancellation notice in that twice weekly mail run.

3 Likes

If the mailman couldn’t deliver your mail safely then he was violated. It’s not fair to expect someone that got bit by a pit Bull to want to keep coming back to the place that it happened where the dogs will still be.

5 Likes

You’re lucky they didn’t put down your dog. That might be what has to happen eventually unfortunately.

I would have the mailman that was bitten identify the dog that bit him/her. Also I would contact a lawyer.

10 Likes

I live in a state where many people have to receive all their mail through P.O. Boxes… getting your mail delivered directly to your home isn’t a “right” lol. If the mail person is legit afraid of your dogs then it’s fair for them to want to protect their own well-being. Just get the PO Box.

4 Likes

Can you move your box to a place that is out of the yard so the mailman does not have to go in the fence? That may be easier and cheaper them the po box. My mom was a mail lady and told me many times she was cornered by dogs.

Something doesn’t seem right. If the mailman was bitten then he’d have to make a police report. You can’t just make a claim to someone’s insurance. When the cops come he has to identify the dog. If it were the neighbors dog then it should be figured out. However the mail carrier isn’t obligated to deliver mail if they feel endangered. Not just dogs but if they’ve been threatened by the residents, walkway is icy or in pour condition etc. You need to contact the post master for your area & file a complaint. They should then do an investigation. Until then you will have to rent a po box. They don’t have to hold mail for you.

4 Likes

Get pictures of the other dogs running

I would count your blessings that you aren’t being sued!!
Rent the P.O. Box and make sure to thank them every. Single. Time. You pick up your mail.
I would have your dog put down!!

6 Likes

Same at my land mail lady goes to my neighbor turns around go around the block to the other neighbor, because my dog bites her tires, we got a P.O. Box tho, if you have proof it wasn’t your dog then there you go

Where we live they will come quarantine your dog if it bit someone to make sure it doesn’t have any diseases. I agree with the another poster when they said he would probably have to file a police report and the dog has to be identified. You may need to contact the authorities and ask the what correct procedure is in your area. It sounds to me like a lot of steps were skipped. You may need a lawyer. Did they have any pictures of the bite? Did they go to the doctor? Did they positively identify your dog? I would not just let the insurance handle it.

1 Like

You are very lucky that your homeowners insurance is taking care of it. Most homeowner’s insurance won’t get involved if you have a pit bull.

3 Likes

Them not wanting to deliver your mail bc the mailman was bit isn’t messing with your mail.

2 Likes

He was bitten.The mail carriers shouldnt have to be afraid to do their job.Pay for the p.o box is all the advice i can give🤷‍♀️

3 Likes

l get paid over $ 195 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18964 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
Go to This. https://highincomejob877.pages.dev/

1 Like

Id get my mail delivered to a close friends home and pick it up there.

1 Like

I mean, thats not the same thing as tampering with someone’s mail.

Did animal control come out and quarantine your dog ? Did you see medical bills? Did he identify your dig or just some pitbull? Too many questions here.

5 Likes

I’m a mail carrier and we have all right to refuse delivery if unsafe! Even if it’s the neighbors dog! I have cut while streets because of a dog! We shouldn’t be scared to do our jobs. And that is the most common injury us mail carriers have!

14 Likes

Seems shady to me. Your mail carrier called your homeowner insurance? How did they know who your company is? And not called the police to make a report? Didn’t identify the dog who actually bit him? You mentioned that your neighbor has a free roaming dog, was there any witnesses to identify what dog bit him? You need to talk to your insurance people and get a lawyer to make a counterclaim/ lawsuit against the mailman and post office. Do not pay to rent a post office box at all! Your rights and your dogs rights are being violated! Especially without proof whose dog is the biter.

10 Likes

Did you give them the information to call your homeowners insurance or is that something they just did?

3 Likes

A lawyer to fight this will cost you way more than renting a P.O. Box.

3 Likes

Looks like you’re renting the PO Box because you can’t prove your dog didn’t bite.

I had to get a po box I had no other choice up until I had moved out of the state. And my dog was labeled a dangerous dog and I had to pay $50 a month to keep the dangerous dog tag on him. Good luck. Mine happened while off my property on a public sidewalk. I missed a court date over this and had a warrant for my arrest because they never told me they were not delivering my mail. Stay on top of it for sure.

1 Like

Lawyer po is not free of law suits…