Thoughts on greek baby names?

my husband said for in the future if we have a girl, that he’d want to name her Persophone or Aphrodite what does everyone think about it? honestly we’re looking for greek girl names but im curious to see what anyone thinks

20 Likes

Love them!

We have Remus and Romulus. The twin brothers who built Rome. And we have Raena. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: go for it! Chose a name u both love and it will be fine!

1 Like

I love the idea! And those names.

I have a Persephone in my family !!!

Definitely very unique for sure! I like them. And at the end of the day, they will be your kids. You and your husband get to decide. If you 2 like them that’s all that matters :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My niece’s name is Persephone

I love those. I’ve always wanted a Cassiopeia or Andromeda :joy: I also love Calliope…I did name my old camera that one…

2 Likes

I have a Persephone. She goes by Persy. Has had no trouble with it at all. We love it!

6 Likes

Vasoula. My Cousin married to a Greek man and her daughter was named this :heartbeat:

My cousin is Andromeda, we have always called her Andi

1 Like

My nieces middle name is Persephone

I think the name Persephone is beautiful

1 Like

I have a Penelope and Leda

Persephone is so cute cos it’s Penny for short which is a gorgeous name

3 Likes

I like the names and my husband was interested in a Greek boy name, but our last name is very long so we did not do it

My name is Pandora and I named one of my Sons Orion. I am fond of Greek names they are unique

2 Likes

I love the name Persephone but with a dyslexic partner I couldn’t use it :joy: we went with Alana after her grandad Allan who passed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Aphrodite is also a gorgeous name!

1 Like

Persephone was the queen of the under world and wife of Hades. Aphrodite obviously goddess of love.

Eirini means peace
Eftychia (effy for short) means happiness (I know a few effys and love the name)
Irida means rainbow
Iris means rainbow as well
Elli means love, hope or joy

I have a Miranda before it was popular and an Isabelle before it became popular. Middle names were Lee and Marie after my aunts middle names. My advice is to figure out if the future teachers can say their name and if your daughter will be able to spell her name and hopefully kids won’t make rhyming names to their names. I personally like either of those you choose.

They are pretentious. That said there are a bunch of great Greek mythology names!!

Those are kind of “out there” choices. IMO. Could they be shortened, or maybe use a different Greek name?

Your baby you name it. What anyone else thinks does not matter if you and the dad like it only thing that matters

My daughter is Cora- Kore which was Persephone’s childhood name

1 Like

My Greek family is full of Anastasia’s, Helina’s, Melina, Kristina, Georgia, Helen, & Evangelines

Personally, I prefer more traditional names. Not a fan of those names suggested…but to each his own. Persephone is a name associated with the occult. You could choose something like Daphne, Cora or Iris which have Greek origins and are less unusual.

Rhea is a pretty name. She was the mother of Poseidon.

2 Likes

Each to there own but the
Goddess of beauty and sexual desire? That’s weird to me

I am part Greek, and loved the names “Athena” and “Eleni” my grandmother’s name, but when I actually thought about it, we decided to go with something different.

1 Like

There are some girl ones that are cute and not pretentious. Alexandra, Athena, Gianna, and Hera. I would check out Greek goddess names

5 Likes

It Dosent matter what anyone else thinks! Its your chils

I LOVE the name Persophone

Think about the fact these adorable baby names are their adult names as well

10 Likes

I suggest something they can also spell. Persephone is a beautiful name, but will be hard for a kindergarten kid to spell.

4 Likes

I named my son “Jupiter”; It’s the Roman equivalent of Zeus in Greek mythology. I like those kinds of names. :woman_shrugging: I see a lot of people say they don’t like unique names, but I wouldn’t want to give my kids common names, because I want them to have their own identity and not have to be referred to by their first name and last initial.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t name my daughter after the godess of sexual love and beauty and fertility.

2 Likes

live it but id go with something easier to pronounce people are braindead now a day and will read it phonetically to ruin the e and entirely

my son’s name is the nickname of Archimedes but husband is Konstantinos

so I love.

My 9 year old is named Persephone Renee…
She has been spelling her name flawlessly since she was 6 & she’s dyslexic… It’s really not a hard name at all. Basic phonics… Just be prepared for the load of morons who will inevitably pronounce it “purse phone” :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: College grads my tailllllll!:rofl:

No. Your child needs to be employed at some point

2 Likes

Odd man out here but wanting to name your daughter after the goddess of beauty and sexual desire is weird…

8 Likes

Stick a tease me sign on her at school

I myself love it. My daughter’s middle name is Athena.

I like persephone. I also like Calliope.

I liked Olympia, Calliope & Calypso a lot. Our kids have greek names

I think they are beautiful. The only input I have is to look at the mythical origin of the name and the connotations connected to it.

My daughters name is Penelope

Omg I love those names!! :heart_eyes:

Athena is a beautiful name to me.
I would definitely look up what each names meaning was before choosing a name though! In olden Greek times your name / its meaning was like your destiny - lot in life kinda thing!

Nefeli is a lovely Greek name

I have a Freya. I know it’s a Norse goddess but still. It’s not a very heard of name and I absolutely love ot

My son’s girlfriends name is Polyphony. She has 3 other siblings with Greek names as well. Not my personal taste but I think you should name your kids whatever you like.

I love the name Persephone. Please actually read the myths before naming a kid after one. I have an Artemis

I named my daughter Athena

Do Greeks name their kids after mythology though? I think there’s a distinction between Greek names and Greek mythological names…js. my advice is don’t name a kid something weird because you want to be uNiQuE

Just name your kid whatever you want and move on. Why are you letting strangers on the internet, most of which are trolls, have an opinion on what YOU want to name your kid?

My friends sister married a Greek man, their girls are Zinovia Yesenia, and Thalia Josefina, Their son’s names are Alexandros Enrique, and Nicholaus Javier. Now my friend and her cousin are Hispanic so their kids middle names are Spanish. And their nicknames are a mix of their first and middle names… I say your kid name them what you want! Nobody liked my kids names either Reymundo, Izabella, Kaileyana, and Gracephina. But I didn’t give a shet!