Thoughts on having a facebook baby shower?

I’m just curious if anyone has any experiences or thoughts on this idea someone gave me the other day. I am currently pregnant with baby #4, and it’s a girl. It’s been eight years since I had a girl, so we don’t have anything at all. We’ve been talking about having a baby shower, but with most of my family living out of state, it would be difficult for them to come. So, someone suggested I do a Facebook baby shower where I would make an event for it and post my address and links to my registry/registries, and people can ship stuff to me directly. Then I would do a Facebook Live or post a video of me opening everything. Has anyone had a shower like this or knew someone who has? What are your thoughts, mamas?

34 Likes

I did this! I couldn’t fly due to being high risk. Did a registry and made a cute little poem about mailing gifts. I lived across the country at the time as well. Was very successful! I just didn’t do a video…

Never heard of this but I’m down cause my husbands family live in SC

Hmmm never thought about this or heard of it it was 8 years since i had a baby to and mine was twins… I started buying things the second i found out i wish i woulda heard or thought about this…

I’ve never heard of but it sounds like a good idea!!

1 Like

To each their own but not for me.

11 Likes

My last 2 babyshowers I did a fb invite for my babyshower and posted links to my registry. Family members that couldn’t come let me know oj there and those that could let me know there as well. Some sent gifts from my registry . I didn’t go live but I did upload photos thanking everyone for their presents, presence, or well wishes

3 Likes

Cute idea if they can’t give you a gift its hard sometimes to ship maybe gift cards would work too.

I wish I had done this. As the stress of it all put me in hospital the morning of. The he said she said Bull shit for set up and then because it was meant to be easy and simple no one took photos. I have nothing but 2 photos with 1 person for the whole event. I was very disappointed.
Also if you do a registry post it to a group or 2 they tend to buy for people as a act of kindness.

It is RUDE to give yourself a shower. This just screams “all I want are gifts”. Rudest thing I have ever heard of

34 Likes

If it’s something you and your families would enjoy DO IT! I think it sounds sweet. Regardless of what anyone’s opinion is just do what’s best for your family :heart:

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea.

We’re a military family so we’re never near family or friends. We did this in 2017 when I was pregnant with my daughter.

1 Like

at least your willing todo a video. I think it’s great.

1 Like

Well, i dont send gifts if i cant go on particular event…

1 Like

I wish I had thought of this. I didnt have a shower with either of my babies, because I didnt think anyone would physically go, but I feel like people could watch a live real quick.

2 Likes

Sounds like fishing for gifts, which I personally find as tacky as the “If you want to bless me, here’s my Cash App” posts. It seems very impersonal and not a true celebration. It’s a veiled Go Fund Me ask.

14 Likes

I just don’t ever see these having like as big of a turn out as momma’s want and then their feelings get hurt. It’s the same with every baby shower, virtual or not. People just don’t show up for stuff anymore. I’ve never seen a Facebook shower with more than 3-4 gifts sent to the mom. If you can do a traditional shower, OP, do it. People are more likely to stop at Walmart on the way than they are to actually buy the stuff off your registry. It’s just sad facts.

1 Like

This is amazing!! I would definitely do one!

Sounds like a good idea since you don’t have family around you

I didn’t have a baby shower with my last one family lives in CA and MS. but I made an amazon and Walmart reg and sent it to my close family that asked. I’d say if you have friends let them give you one and family can ship gifts to you and you can post a live opening at the shower. But you are really the only one who knows what is best for you and what your situation is.

Me personally I find it a bit cheeky and in UK have never heard of this. The Family will send you gifts when baby is born if they cant be there, then its a good idea ( for me) to do the recording of opening gifts. To me a baby shower is a get together of people celebrating eating food together playing silly games and sharing stories of birth( for those who have had children)

4 Likes

Idk maybe I’m old fashioned but it sounds like digging for gifts to me. A baby shower is supposed to be a party to celebrate the baby & new mom. I’ve been to invited to 1 but didn’t partisapate. I didn’t know the mother to be at all. Haven’t seen the father since he was a kid & never really knew him. If you just want gifts then I’d post a link to your registry. Of course I’d send pictures of the baby with the gift after she’s born.

An added but of advise. I’d let your kids add things to the registry for themselves or make big brother/sister registries. It’s fun for them & you never know someone might want to include them. I’m like that. I buy little things for older siblings so they don’t feel left out.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m old because this wouldn’t be for me but if it works for you, that’s great.
In the 70s I had a friend that moved to CA so I threw a shower at my house and we took pictures and I mailed all the gifts to her. Online just seems like a go fund me, to me, but I hope you have a great pregnancy and happy and healthy baby.
Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I think that sounds great and honestly so much easier than an actual baby shower

1 Like

Given the situation, not a bad idea at all. Talk to your family that you would invite and see if they would be okay with it? Just so no one takes it the wrong way.

1 Like

Showers are for people having their first child…and they are thrown y friends or family not the expecting parents

Those who want to send a gift will. Asking for gifts is tacky.

8 Likes

I think this is a great idea! We did this for my sister when she moved across the country. We rented a community center and decorated with her theme and had food and everything for all us guests. She had a registry and those who did get gifts mailed them to her (disagree with the gift fishing comments, registries are common for baby showers). We brought a big tv and set it up and Skype called her. We still did baby shower games with prizes and everything, we really wanted her to know how excited we were for her even though she was far away. We have a large family, and it was just like any other party we would throw except our guest of honor was behind a screen. Beautiful and modern way to celebrate, I don’t think it’s tacky at all.

1 Like

I think that’s a great idea!

We did something kinda like this for our reveal, I wish I would’ve thought of it for our shower. I definitely think it’s a great idea!

Never heard of this and it sounds a bit tacky. When I got pregnant with my 4th, I started buying baby things right away. I stocked up on clothes. I did receive a few gifts from generous family members.

8 Likes

I had a baby shower for my first who was a girl and one for my 4th baby that was a boy (but he was my husbands first baby)
I leave that totally up to you, maybe have your significant other make the event for you.

I had 3 boys in 3 years. I NEVER expected to have a shower for all 3, but between family and friends, all my boys got everything we needed! It’s very simple to post on FB saying we are having a baby shower this day, if you can’t make it but still want to send the baby something here are my registries! Put links and let people chose for themselves. I wouldn’t even do a live thing.

It sounds like a tacky gift grab to me. Those who want to send gifts, will.

7 Likes

No way! asking for gifts is so tacky and low class

9 Likes

I always thought that you only did a baby shower for the first child, if people want to send gifts great but asking for gifts is a bit tacky

5 Likes

Dont listen to any negativity it’s a great idea 1 or 4 it dont matter to friends and family especially to those who dont live close or know what you need and true friends and family like to help when they can

3 Likes

That’s a no from me. Also, at baby #4 regardless of the time frame between or gender, I’d plan to buy everything myself.

4 Likes

I would 100% participate in an online shower. I hate social events and usually find a way to not go. You could also include a raffle in your live

4 Likes

Doing this for my next birthday lmaoooo Sophia Poulos

1 Like

No no no… unacceptable.

2 Likes

I would’ve never thought to do this but I think it’s a great idea especially not having family close by. FaceTime and live feeds have helped my lil ones stay in close connection with grandparents that live far.

3 Likes

i don’t really like this idea for baby number 4… how much do you really need that is brand new? how about a diaper and wipes “sprinkle” rather than a baby “shower”

At number 4 you should have a good grasp at what you actually really need. I had 4 and friends/family always had a shower for me. Then I had moved across the country and had #5 and having to start over. I wish I would have thought to have a FB shower for my peeps across the country bc I didn’t have friends or family to have one local…but at the same time all I really needed was the basics. I stocked up on diapers and wipes from the time I got pregnant. My mom did a FB shower for my SIL bc they were in another part of the country and had no one also and that was their first baby. If you feel its tacky…maybe you can have someone else throw it for you?

1 Like

I know someone who’s niece did this. She told me about it when I was planning my aunts baby shower with my mom.

Not a good idea…too many sickos out there. Shop yard sales good will second hand stores. Babies are in sm size clothes such short time the ones your shopping for May still have price tags on.shop whenyou stores are selling end of season clothes for the next year

I were given a baby shower for our first child (boy). We were given a shower for our first girl. And obviously, we were given a shower for our spontaneous triplet boys. Otherwise we would have had a lot of baby showers.

Never heard of it but sounds like it may work if most your family is ling distance.

Honestly do whats best for you! I have 1 daughter and i had 2 separate showers due to family is separated so we did 2 and guess what when i have more kids even if its another girl i plan on having another shower because each baby needs to be celebrated with family and friends and each child is there own person and deserves their own blankets or clothes or toys they dont always have to have their older siblings leftovers

Ermmm no. That’s basically you can’t make it but send me a gift anyways here’s my address.

Personally I think it’s a bit rude

2 Likes

I see nothing wrong with the concept and it wouldn’t feel like a go fund me if people would go back to the traditions of showers. Because seriously…when did the tradition of showers change to the expectant mother of bride to be planning their own !!! I will NOT EVER be told what is expected at a shower by a bride or mom ever again. It is terrible and completely takes the joy out of EVERYTHING!

I’ve never had a shower for my boy or my girl ovs if people wanna get baba stuff that’s great but asking for stuff I think is rude your baby you get the stuff they need

For me babyshowers are to give people back something as a thank you for the gift. I mean like I give them a little party with drinks, good food, and freinds. You want gifts and what are you giving them in return?

Your family and close friends will probably buy you gifts even without a shower. It’s your 4th kid…i personally think its rude to even have a shower.

I have a friend who is doing that right now. I personally feel that is very forward but completely understand why you would take that route with everyone being out of town. She didnt post a video of opening her gifts but post each gift with whom there from and a sincere thanks and how her baby will use each item.

To get more poeple wanting to do it… You should do raffles and such… Get gift cards to raffle. So much easier to mail off… This could possibly be a new trend

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t do it

7 Likes

Never post your address you never know who would screenshot it and send it out… but however make amazon wishlists and people can buy directly off there without knowing your address and it will ship automatically to you

Baby #4, you don’t have a shower. You’re established enough to support the child you made. Buy your own stuff. :woman_shrugging:

35 Likes

I watched someone do one once. Honestly, it was boring watching them open gifts. Ask your family if they’re interested in the idea, though🤷‍♀️.

2 Likes

I’d definitely not make my address public too many crazy people about these days

Showers are not about jst getting “stuff” it’s about family time and being able to celebrate with others ppl who feel that way if others feel different they are not required to come, pls don’t get discouraged because some ppl may believe that after ur first ur not supposed to have a bby shower for the rest… have a bby shower and ur idea I never have heard of it but sounds pretty cool. I say jst invite those who live locally have a few appetizers play games if u like and go live or stream in ur relatives and they can decide to participate or not.

7 Likes

Got no stuff,just need gifts😂On a serious note you could just do it for family/friends that can’t be there.

Ummm, I wouldnt. Seems a bit off to ask people to send you gifts and then sit on their computers and watch you open presents
Selfish almost? To want the gifts without any interaction from the givers other than scrolling comments? Maybe I’m wrong. But personally, I wouldn’t.

Wow so much negativity about a baby shower. I had 3 kids, friends threw me a baby shower for each one. Plus she said she doesn’t have much for a girl. Stop mom shaming! Sheesh!

16 Likes

You can however go to consignment shops get baby clothes dirt cheap this is your 4rth one usually it’s your firstnu have a shower give all your friends family your address have the send you something good luck with your new baby

I’ve got 4 and had a baby shower for each one :tipping_hand_woman:… judge away :rofl::rofl: I say if your family is on board with a Facebook baby shower go for it!

4 Likes

Each baby deserves a shower. To be celebrated. Not necessarily to just get stuff. Plus baby showers are fun. Sheesh people are such negative nancys smh. I’m pregnant with my third, it’s a boy and I already have two girls. I’m definitely having a shower. I had a shower for both of my girls also.

I did that! It was great

I would not do it.It is about getting together with family and friends.People ate going to buy something for the shower if they want to any way.You should buy your own stuff anyway.With baby number four, you should be financially stable.

6 Likes

There are ppl who believe ONE Shower for ALL children but there are also ppl that Look at this as an opportunity to celebrate another blessing into the family. No one asked if they should celebrate one or more. The question was should I do a FB shower. I personally think every baby deserves the moment and so does the family.

4 Likes

Wasn’t Mom slamming at all.All opinions aren’t going to be the same.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t do this , each their own

2 Likes

Do what you please. A shower is not about support it is about good wishes.You are not forcing anyone to participate. Who is in, is in and who is out is out.

1 Like

I had a baby shower for noth of my kids. My second one for my son was even co ed

I had an Amazon list. For those who couldn’t come to the twins shower…

I had a virtual baby shower because my son was born early and in the NICU and it was ok. I think you will get more turn out with a in person baby shower.

Sounds like you need a go fund me account not a baby shower …

4 Likes

Have the baby showet and enjoy it. I had never heard of a fb one but sounds like a great idea with ur family so spread out. Good luck with the baby

Sounds like a great way to involve friends and family who are not living near you

I have a nine year old and about to have my second. I don’t think there’s a problem having a baby shower in that circumstance…

HAVE THAT SHOWER! :baby:t4::shower::shopping::teddy_bear:
CELEBRATE!!:tada:
Do what is best for YOUR FAMILY.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Best Wishes momma!

Have a diaper party with local friends! You shower that baby regardless of what others think. Each baby is memorable .

1 Like

I’ve heard after 2 child no baby shower? I had one shower with first n then done thrift stores yard sales dollar stores etc n got budgetable things on our own ,

2 Likes

Congratulations!! Forget the negativity…wow! Family and friends always get gifts so do it however you think would work. The real gift is the daughter😊

Sounds tacky :expressionless: this seems like a guise to say “hey… please send me presents” without actually doing that because in doing so, it would be tacky.

Never heard of it but with all this new technology I’m sure its doable and would be fun. I do think it might be better to have the party and live stream anyone in that’s cant make it. This way they can almost feel like they got to be present && also this way they could also talk or see the other ppl at the gathering. Because let’s be honest at any shower I only wanna see my gift not everyone else’s! :rofl:

Or u could always do the registration and then record n send each person that sent a gift u opening there present and a small thank u thru the mail.

Either way every baby needs to be celebrated. Dont listen to the haters! :rofl:

Best of luck with ur new bundle of joy! :pregnant_woman::breast_feeding:

Some people are just rediculous…I for one never done this…but I have family in the military and long distance and I believe it’s a great idea…to share the special occassion!!!..and as far as baby #4…believe it’s your own preference to have one for each child or not

I always thought one shower no matter how many kids unless different families are involved(different dad’s) but if it was truly unexpected and there was a very large gap between children I could see having one.
You can do the Facebook party and those that wish to participate can and those who don’t do not have to.
My biggest issue is those who post registries at the most expensive stores and for the most expensive items.
And mostly based on fashion not function.

Congrats and I say go for it! We now live an electronic world and for those who could not make it in person, perfect. No stress preparing for a party and give a deadline for the gets to get there. Then you can do one video of all the gifts! Most can ship directly to you from where they order so it’s hassle free and cost nothing on some sites…WIN WIN. I think I’d make a list of those I want to have my address and post it in a PM so others on my list don’t get it OR post it without address and ask people to PM for it. Safety first is my motto! Run with it and enjoy!