Thoughts on having a VBAC?

Yes! Join ICAN International Cesarean Awareness Network pages!!

7 babies total. 5th was a c Section. Rest were unmedicated vaginal births. Just had my second VBAC at home 2 weeks ago. So much better than recovering from a c Section!

I’ve had two. No issues

I have done it. I had my 1st natural and then my twins by c section. Then my 4th was a repeat c section. My 5th and 6th I refused a c section. With my 5th they didn’t want to let me try a v bac but they did and it went great. Then I moved to a different state and with my 6th they straight said I had to have a c section. I refused. I labored are home and went to the hospital when I knew I was close to pushing. I was to far for a c section. She was delivered less than 30 minutes after I got there with 0 issues. It was this hospitals policy to not allow v bacs. Because you might end up in emergency surgery. They tried to scare me but I trusted my body. If I had another I would travel to the hospital an hour and a half away where they will support a v bac and head there as soon as labor starts or choose to be induced. I would never willingly have another c section unless it became absolutely necessary. The recovery is so much longer and more painful!

Not me…but my cousin. She had 1 natural. Her 2nd was a csection but he was almost 11lbs and she weighed like 100lbs super tiny… Shes had 4 natural births after w no.complications

It is better to have a Vbac than another C-section if it can be avoided. It’s hard on the body and multiple ones cause more damage. I hopefully will have a Vbac when I have my next child(she was breech so no way of a vaginal birth sadly). Find a doctor who is 100% on board otherwise ethey will push you for another c-section. The reason they try talk you into another one is by pushing you risk ripping open scar tissue(but if you properly waited and healed like supposed to, believe a year minimum for c-section) then you have a huge chance of never doing that. I say go for it if you want to. There is always emergency situations and teams ready to go if needed. It’s alot better on the body to have a Vbac than it is a c-section.

Ive heard of people having vaginal deliveries after csection. Ive only had natural births no csection but Ive heard it can be done.

Depending on your reasoning for the 1st one.

My daughter in law has had two children afte she had a c section , Both went fine and the second went very good tho baby weighted ove 9 pounds

Mine ended in emergency c-section, his heart rate dropped.

My sister just had a vbac. It was easy for her. No issues aside from tearing a little!

It depends on your reason for the C section …
The risks.are a rupture and it can be fatal … I know because mine ruptured… (not from attempting a vbac from twins ) but the reality is that it can and does happen
If you are likely to need another c-section why would you attempt a vbac ? If you had a c-section for reasons that are extremely unlikely to happen again then that’s an option.

Listen to your dr …they know the risks they’ve been there resussing babies and mothers, thyveen there pumping blood into a mother on the way to theatre … they’ve been there when either or both haven’t made it …
I would never purposely put myself or my baby at risk

I have a friend that had a VBAC like a champ with no complications. It’s absolutely possible.

There’s def a reason why most doctors and hospitals won’t let you
I’d say scar tissue alone is enough to be nervous
It’s completely unpredictable how your personal body healed
It was much more difficult and time consuming to get my second baby out (and that was with a c) from my scar tissue so thank goodness I didn’t try to go natural

My SIL had 2 c sections then a normal viginal birth with no complications :blush:

Worked LD for 8 years and saw many successful TOLAC/VBACs. Just listen to your body and your doctor

I had 3 vbacs. One was at home even.

I had 2 normal births after a c section :slight_smile:

I recommend joining a support group on fb :heartbeat:

VBAC and Birth After Cesarean Facts — Evidence Based Support

I had a normal after 2 C-sections.

I had 1 c-section and 4 normal births

The VBAC Link Community

Hope but don’t expect

My mom did! It’s definitely possible. It’s becoming more common, too, especially with more doctors becoming up to date on that information.
Talk to your doctor and make a plan. Do your research

Its probably better than repeated c section. I was scheduled to have a vbac but my cardiologist had other plans

It’s actually less risky to have a vbac than a repeat c section according to my dr. Depending on the reason for your first c section

It would depend how long ago you had your c section. My kids are only 18 months apart so I had a repeated c section. The 2nd c section was a lot easier than the first one.

4 Likes

Its best to do your research. I had an emergency c section 6yrs prior and just had my 2nd baby last month and did a repeat. What I read up on scared me about possibly rupturing my uterus. Plus my little one had a huge head so a repeat was the choice I made. However I unfortunately had so much scar tissue from my first c section it made my 2nd way more difficult but there’s no way of knowing how much scar tissue you have until they open you up. Do your research and make the best choice you can.

I had a Vbac 3 years after having a emergency c section and it was successful but u need to do wots best for u and ur baby x

I had an emergency c section and 3 successful vbacs following it without issue. Much better recovery!

3 Likes

i can’t talk for myself, but my aunt just had a vbac after a csecfion 4 years prior & she loved it! (i mean, as much as you can love labor😂) it went great for her, no problems!

1 Like

I had a emergency c-section first an a natural after. I had no issues. I was also suppose to have my 2nd by c-section an the doctor when I went into labor says to me as I’m freaking out asking for my c-section. he was gonna prove I could push a baby out lol I wanted a c-section again as I did great with it after words an healing even my scar so I was little mad an shocked lol

Vbac Momma, everything went well

1 Like

Emergency c-section 2/98…5/99 vbac (my daughter was due 7/4 & decided to make an earlier appearance despite having scheduled a csection). Vbac recovery was so much easier especially with a preemie & a 15 month at home.

Wanted a second vaginal birth but my youngest had other plans. Emergency csection 6/26/02; due 8/25.

1 Like

A couple of my friends have done it with no problem. I, however, was a repeat section. I don’t plan to ever have a VBAC.

I had two normal births after a c section…no problems.

1 Like

I have no experience here, but I know it can happen safely and I hope it does for you if that’s what you want.

Depends on the reason for previous csection.

1 Like

I know multiple women who have had vaginal birth after csection. A few at home births and regular births in hospital where the baby was over 10 pounds. Anything is possible try to follow the birth plan you want!

1 Like

I had a successful vbac after 2 c-sections. Do what makes you happy and what is healthy for you and the baby

1 Like

Both my children were c-sections! I wish I could have have vaginal births. My body just couldn’t. I say fo what is best for u and baby

I had a c-section and then 3 vbacs. They were all a much easier recovery than the c-section

I just had a successful VBAC in May. Pros and cons to everything. Def faster recovery with vaginal but it’s still a painful recovery - just different. Let me know if u have any specific questions

1 Like

I had a successful vbac 4 1/2 years later :heart: no epidural…better healing

My eldest and middle are exactly 18 mnths apart and the hospital made me get a VBAC I had no say, all went well but bcoz of previous csec I couldnt get any pain meds it was all 100% natural so they can see if my body was willing to do natural on its own. It was better in the end I could walk straight away and went home the next morning with my baby. I was torn down under it hurt a lot and was uncomfortable and sore for a while but still better than csec

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum! Thoughts on having a VBAC? - Mamas Uncut

My mom had me on c-section and another 4 births vaginal birth :woman_shrugging:

I had two successful V-bacs the chance of ruptured uterus is low around 3% Just make sure there has been at least a years time before getting pregnant. Eat Hi protein foods, no matter what make sure you and your doctor are on the same page. Good luck!

I have an unmedicated vbac after 2 c sections, no problems at all!

My first was a c-section due to baby being breech, my second I wanted to try VBAC and my midwife supported it as well as the doctor, they explained the risks and benefits, I felt like a badass for pushing my baby out but delivering a baby is no joke, it was hard as hell and I was in labor for 40 hrs :woozy_face:, the recovery is so much better though!

I had 4 csections. I was young and uninformed…I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have definitely opted for a vbac

I did. They had to use the vbac because she wasn’t coming out fast enough but she’s a healthy 6 year old now.

Had 2 VBAC and loved every moment of it. Good luck xx

I had not one but TWO successful vbacs. I preferred the vaginal birth over the csection. Both baby and I had less complications. Healing was way faster. Negative was that I had to have a vacuum and episiotomy both times. I’d strongly suggest trying for it. Try to enter with confidence. The more relaxed you can be the better

Everyone seems focused on moms recovery. It is important to know the reason for section. There are many but consider also the safety of the baby not just an easy recovery. If all things considered are safe then VBAC is fine.

1 Like

Not me. I had 6 all c- sections. Couldn’t have natural birth.

I’ve had a VBAC … my c-section was in 1998 and my VBAC was in 2003. No issues

I was somewhat of a “pioneer” when I had my VBAC in 1995. No complications whatsoever

C section and 2 vbacs
…recovery was easier with the vbacs for me. I had a doctors office who supported them so that helped also.

I wasn’t able to do VBAC. The hospital I went to doesn’t do them. I also probably wasn’t able to do it anyway. My body wasn’t going into labor

My best friend just did a VBAC with a midwife. She still ended up having to go have her placenta surgically removed though. It can be done, but scenarios like hers can still come up.

I had one 5 years after my c-section. Everything was fine.

I attempted a VBAC. I was so excited! Be sure your OB is well aware of what you want and that the hospital will allow it. Anyone who is assisting you with labor (nurses, midwives, etc) should be aware too. I was one of the few who started to have signs of a uterine rupture and my nurse was terrible. She wanted me to continue to labor. Thankfully, the OB doc knew what was happening and rushed me to get a c section. Just be clear with them, let them know, and make sure your team is capable of handling an emergency and is willing to allow you to attempt a VBAC.

Uterine rupture can kill the baby and mama although the risk is quite small. The positives are natural labor can be a much easier process for healing and you can have vaginal births after a successful VBAC, you don’t have to get stitched up after baby arrives, etc.

My friend has vba2c this spring. It was a long intense one and the drs were still trying hard to get her to resort to a c section. She persevered through and ended up with her first vaginal delivery. To tell you I was so happy for her to get to experience it would be an understatement!

I had an emergency csection then a planned csection and then a vbac as long as the pregnancy is going well and the hospital agrees they will let u do it xx

They normally wont induce u if u go over but will break ur waters if needed x

My first delivery was a c section and my second was a vbac, no complications or anything! But my labor and complete delivery was only 3 hrs… and they are 16 days from being 2 years apart

Everyone is different definitely try for a vaginal birth its very possible to achieve this but in saying that mumma here of 5 C Sections I really wanted to deliver my son but he wasn’t budging much after 17.5 hours of back labour I didn’t care , just get him out , our bodies work in mysterious ways they really do .
What works for you necessarily doesn’t work for others you see my point , if you are 100% VBAC
THEN YOU TRY THAT ALSO THE GOOD OLD EPIDURAL IF NEEDED GOOD LUCK :wink:

I had a VBAC this past February. It was such a healing experience for me.
The healing process was much easier and faster. There is a really great VBAC support group here on Facebook. I found it really helpful when I was preparing for mine. :blush:

My sister had 5 children. Her FIRST child was born emergency c-section. She had the other four were vaginal. No complications during birth. Her second child was born 18 months after her c-section. If your Dr said you can do it and that’s what you want, go for it!

1 Like

Currently in the hospital having one today lol. The forms you have to sign consenting to your adding risks is scary but every thing is smooth so far. My c section was 3 years ago and non emergent so I was textbook for trying a vbac. I’m not exactly excited since it feels like a first baby all over again since I have no idea how to push a baby out but I’m definitely happy I get to💕

I had a c section with my first born then 5 natural so it can be done! For me I think the natural is better because you can get up and move around right after and it doesn’t take as long to heal

1 Like

I was a vbac. I was a scheduled c section but by the time my mom got to the hospital her doctor said I was already well on my way so she might as well just push me out :joy:

I had a great experience!! Emergency c-section with my first and with my second was a very successful VBAC. I would definitely try, if you can! I much preferred giving birth naturally. Everything was so much easier. I was so scared to have another c-section.

I had two vbac everything went fine they was easier my first was a emergency c section…no negatives except with the middle one the antista dr poked me wrong during a contraction and made scar on my back after told him he didn’t listen and the last one the anastectic didn’t take to late he was pushing himself out felt everything natural was good…quick…so it will be ok.

No negatives for my experience. So incredibly happy with it. I have a phenomenal OB and the experience could not have been anymore perfect! It’s definitely worth a try!! I have absolutely no regrets! The healing was so much better too!

VBAC for my 2nd baby, i began labor on my own, they broke my water at 4 cm. Very short labor. Baby #3 is due august 17th, shooting for VBAC again, my dr did say they will not induce for vbac, only progress once you’ve started laboring if needed.

I’m a Doula and have supported VBACS. It’s absolutely possible, get a provider who respects your wishes and listens. They don’t decide for you.

I don’t think you will know best option until after it happens . I had 2 successful Vbac after c section. Go with what you want, your gut feeling xx

I had an emergency c-section and then a VBAC. It depends on why you had the c-section. They usually make you have an ultrasound to see if you have scar tissue or not. I had the c-section because I didn’t dilate to a complete 10 and tried every way to have her natural

C section recovery was terrible, I was able to have a vbac with my 2nd almost 5 years apart. Did need a stitch or 2…can’t remember exactly…but healing was a lot faster

I was very lucky. I had an emergency csect that they had to cut me open alot more than normal due to uterus clamping around baby’s neck during cset and still managed to have a vbac 14months later with no issues at all :blush:. They had said it would be highly like to need another csect and I basically refused and said I wanted to try vbac as didn’t want another c and the nurses where good and let me try but where ready for csect incase.

I had one in February! Had my 1st daughter just 18 month prior C-secrion. My doctor said me and baby were healthy to where it wouldn’t be a problem. I’m also a bigger girl and was 240 lbs when I gave birth to my 2nd! It’s possible to have a successful birth after c- section :yellow_heart:

My first two were c-section babies and my other two were all natural with no complications at all. It can be done

I had a VBAC after my twins with baby #7. I was a great candidate but there can be absolutely no induction at all. Everything has to happen naturally.

I tried for a vbac with my second ended in a c section but only cuz epidurals don’t do well with me. But it is possible just be positive

I had a natural birth after 3 c-sections! It was completely unexpected as I was told it could never happen but was so happy & blessed that I was able to give birth naturally, there’s nothing like it :blush:

I think if you can then go for it. My doctors wouldn’t let me but I wish I could have.

Do it! Join your local ICAN FB group and gather all the knowledge about having a positive VBAC. Hire a doula if you can afford it and make sure your Dr is on board.

There’s a few vbac pages on fb that are sooo helpful
I think I’m going to attempt a vbac in November!

I had a vbac. I had difficulty healing from my emergency c-section and was very clear with my OB that I wanted a vbac so long as it was safe for the baby and me. I will say that my physicians cautioned me that meant I’d be going into labor naturally, rather than being induced. I’m not sure if that was because of other health concerns, but I didn’t want to be induced anyway (they tried inducing me in the prior pregnancy & I made no progress for 24 hours). Everything went fine & the recovery was so much better.

I had a VBAC five years ago. Recovery was a lot easier than the c-section.

This isn’t “advice” regarding birthing options…but I need to say it…
:rotating_light:Unpopular opinion alert :rotating_light: could the OP exclude the term “normal birth”. There is no “normal” in birth. I had two C-sections, one scheduled in 2006 (although early due to uncontrollable gestational diabetes) and one emergency 2010 (ruptured uterus). Both of my children are healthy. I fully recovered.
I just hate the term “NORMAL delivery/birth”
:-1:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

It entirely depends on the reason for your first C-section. I cannot because my son was born at 41 weeks I wouldn’t dilate with him and they kept loosing his heart beat. The last time they lost it for 15 minutes and the C-section doctor came in and looked at me and asked “do you care if I check you” I said yes of course just tell me my babies gonna be okay because at this point they had already popped my water bag at least 6 or 7 hours prior hoping to speed things up (didn’t do anything in my case) so in my head he was probably suffocating he pulled me off everything made them put more water in me and scheduled me as his next emergency C-section an hour later because after filling the bag they were able to find my son’s heart beat again.
Was the scariest experience of my life and I am 100% okay with going straight into surgery to avoid anything happening to my next little one. I’ll risk my healthy to make sure they’re safe everytime.

A lot of doctors arent comfortable with it. My doctor was and we went for it. After pushing for several hours My baby was turned and couldnt get thru the birth canal. My dr used forceps to turn him, again something must are not comfortable with these days. As a precaution we did go into the OR for him to turn him and as soon as he was turned he came right out.
It wasnt the fairy tail vbac id hoped for but we were successful nonetheless and im so glad we tried. I would have regretted not trying

It’s a vaginal birth. Not a normal birth. Wording matters.

I had a vbac after 7 years from a csection it went well recovery time was much quicker.

1000000% read Ina May’s guide to childbirth!!

Everything backwards for me lol, my first was a planned csection due to breech position, my second was an induced successful vbac, both went fine however the csection recovery was SO MUCH BETTER vs my experience with vbac, but I think it’s a little different for everyone. My surgery and recovery went by so easily and fast, but I was in labor for 37 hours for my vbac, my epidural took 3 tries taking up to an hour and 3 blow veins, and the best part was the episiotomy due to her being face up, so healing was not so fast or fun, but still rewarding in it’s own painfully beautiful way​:upside_down_face::sweat_smile::heart: (my dr told me the reason a vbac can be harder after a csection is because technically it’s the first time your body has actually labored) Good luck momma!:heart: