Thoughts on owning a pitbull with kids?

Adopted her from the pound at about 5 years old…the only time she’s aggressive is if she thinks we are in danger and even then…so far she just barks. They’re as good/safe as you raise/treat them. This is our second one after the first passed and they’ve been amazing.

1 Like

Meanest thing about our pitty is his farts :joy:. Hes NEVER been a worry with any of our kids.

3 Likes

I love staff/pits but if honest my friend had one. She was beautiful dog. Was great around my daughter when visiting. Then one day she turned on her owner. 45 yr old women as her teenage son shouted on one occassion. Dog was 8 yrs old. She ended up with leg savaged, one hand can hardly bend fingers etc. Other was savaged just as much. To save my friend he had to stab dog to release its jaw.
If your used to this type of dog, temperament etc and have good experience in handling them by alk means go ahead. If it just for fact its cute puppy then leave alone until you have more experience with power dogs

Please do your research. The breed itself is actually an amazing one. A few facts for you.
*The term “pitbull” is actually used to describe several different bully breeds of dogs.
*“Lock jaw” is not real. It is a myth.
*German sheapards adctally have a stronger bite force than bully breeds
****During world war one time frame, “pitbulls” were known for their kindness and gentleness towards children and were labeled as “nanny dogs”
Bully breeds need lots of attention and energy output. That being said, i have owned several “pitbulls” in my life and to be honest?, they have been the best dogs. Easy to train, food motivated, and willing to lay down their life. Please do not judge the entire breed on the simple “those are fighting dogs” because Rottweilers, Doberman pinchers, and german sheapards can all be “fighting dogs” too. The main reason people use bully breeds is because of how aggressive they look. My chihuahua has bit me more times than I can count. My blue healer has bit me a few times. My american bull terrier/labrador mix has never bit me. She is actually TERRIFIED of practically everything lol. But the type of terrified that makes her freeze or cower, I trust her more than my other dogs around my 10 month old because she has the patience of a saint.

2 Likes

It is all how a dog is raised any dog no matter what breed… everyone is quick to blame the dog but really need to look at the other end of the lead … pitties are the most loving dogs if raised right

I personally wouldn’t simply because I don’t know much about the breed. Have you done your research on the breed, make sure you can handle having one. I hate seeing dogs end up in a pound because the owners didn’t do their dudiligencce.

Honey all dogs are aggressive once they need to be. My pit will kill you with kisses unless you are harming me or my family. My chihuahua will bite you for just touching me wrong. Its in every dog. Just don’t raise it to be aggressive and you will be fine. All dogs can turn on you. Get one.

Just like with any dog you need to make sure you get the puppy from a reputable breeder and not some back yard breeder. Make sure your whole family meets both parents and I can’t stress this enough socialize often to different stimulants. Also look into a dog trainer that works with positive reinforcement.

If you’re worried about that, you shouldn’t get any animal point blank. All animals have the ability to change.

1 Like

Grew up with one best dog ever.

My sixteen year old pit has raised all three of my kids and will forever be the most loyal well behaved fur baby ive ever had :heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

Perfect timing for them to grow together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My Pitt bull is so gentle an love our 3 year old son!! He will play with her for hours running around chasing her laughing feeding her it’s the cutest thing ever I have no worrie at all because of the bread. It’s not just the pit bull bread all dog can potentially snap/cross just make sure you are introducing them properly an allowing for them to play while puppy is learning an growing. That will be. Be best friends!!

My pitbull is adopted and she absolutely loves kids. And she adores my daughter as well. She tries to sleep next to her, cuddle her, she’ll even lay on the ground when my daughter is on the ground crawling and let her crawl all over her. I was leary at first but I learned that she literally thinks she’s a huge baby just like her. When I brought my daughter home from the hospital she absolutely could not stand that I wouldn’t let her smell her or lay next to her. I eventually gave in. She plays well with my other kids. One day my biological mom came at me and my kids recklessly and she tried to attack her over my kids. Once she learned those where her kids she protects them as so. I think they’re the best dogs to have as long as you learn her body language around the baby.

I have 2 and they are the biggest babies. They are good with all people and other animals. They love my daughter and literally follow her around everywhere. They even sleep in her room or in the doorway to her room. And if she goes to bed without them they whine at her door until she lets them in. Its all in how you raise them and how they are treated. I got our male when he was 2 years old from a fb group he was mistreated and very skinny when we got him. He warmed right up to my daughter and has never left her side hes her best friend. Our female we got at 12 weeks old. Shes stubborn and hard headed when it comes to listening and was very hard to train when it came to potty training and commands but she has always been very sweet. And loves kids.

It’s not the breed it’s how they are raised!!!

2 Likes

ANY ANIMAL can hurt your child, intentionally or unintentionally…its not about the breed of a dog that makes it any type of way

I say no way. Every time i see an article about someone being attacked/mauled by a dog, the dog has always been a pitbull.

6 Likes

We have a red nose. He was given to the kids when they were 2 and 6 months old.
At first I was worried as they have a name for themselves but 9 years later and his still their best friend. Never growled, he will literally regurgitate he’s food he has just swallowed if you say ‘ugh drop it’ or ‘no’, the kids can try play fight with him and he won’t, he sits, stops, drops, rolls, crawls, jumps, shakes, smiles, ect, on command.
He protects the yard but if you come to the front door he will be your best friend, its annoying :rofl: we taught him well tho, he will not eat scraps the kids have dropped on the ground unless told to. My son once jumped off the top of the couch on his belly and he didn’t snap, growl or even get scared… he literally lifted his head, seen it was our son and put his head back down…

A dog will grow up to how you train it.
He knows he is loved but he also knows he is a dog. We don’t let him on furniture, he has hes own bed. A dog tried tried to jump our fence one day and both dogs were bickering through our gate, as soon as I come out side and told him to stop he stopped and let the other dog carry on barking and growling.

Not all dogs are the same, they all have different personalities. you’ve really gotta raise them like they are a child.

Pitbulls are amazing dogs with the correct training and love

We have two pit mixes and I would never have any other breed of dog, except maybe a German Shepard. Sweetest dogs around. As long as you raise any breed of dog correctly, you will have a great one.

They were once known as nanny dogs because of how good they were with children❤

A dog is a reflection of its owner and how its tret regardless of breed
Train it treat it right show it all the love you have and you’ll have an amazing companion

2 Likes

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/10-Most-Aggressive-Dog-Breeds-Temperament-Ratings-and-Information Here is some suggested reading. Pitbull terriers need to be trained and simulated like any other dog that you have does. Just know your breed. Theyare loving sweet animals. We have 3. My Chihuahuas are more aggressive then they are.

My Pitt German Shepard!!! He’s 3 months so close in age. He’s so smart already knows sit down come leave it (cause we have cats and at first he wanted to chase but now there friends) and cage (for his crate at night). I took 2 solid weeks and worked with him everyday though I’m confident this dog is going to protect our family because he’s so attached to all of us already and just a good pup all around. I’ve had labs when I was young the signature “family dog” I feel like and they were too hyper to me… I always think Pitt bull when I think a great family dog

1 Like

Not a pitbull owner but a bull terrier and let me tell you it’s all about the way they are raised no matter what breed.:heart:

1 Like

Both my girls, she is so good with her!

Reading things like this makes me so sad :pleading_face: This is my pit and we’ve had him in our family for about 6 years now. He’s been around for all my pregnancies, and he’s always been good with my kids. Even when they were younger and crawled all over him, lie on him, pull at him. He never once snapped. He’s always been overprotective of them. He’s still around and is the best dog we’ve ever had. My kids love him. All animals have the ability to be aggressive. It’s all in how you raise them. A lot of misinformation and media claims they are agressive but that’s from being abused/mistreated. I’ve known chihuahuas that are meaner than most pits I’ve met. Our pit is by the biggest baby who only ever wants attention and love. He’ll cuddle you to death before anything else. Every breed has bad apples. Doesn’t mean the breed itself is bad. Just take good care of them, and they’ll take care of you.

1 Like

I wish ppl would learn it’s not the animal that aggressive it’s the owner who made them like that.

2 Likes

Absolutely 100% YES! Educate yourself on the breed and their specific needs. Also get to know YOUR dogs own personality and take queues from him/her. Pitties are the most loyal, loving, silly dogs with their people. He/she will become your daughters best friend and protector. We rescued ours at 1 yearrs old and was told he didn’t like to be hugged. The first night we had him he literally slept on top of my teenage son cuddling with him! Educate, train, time and attention.

My putty is the most lovable… the cats sleep with him! It’s all in how you raise them! As with any animal… if you don’t have the time to train properly… then don’t get them… they will only suffer through life. If you plan on giving a puppy the attention, training and love you would give your children… then yes! They are very very lovable and only want to please!:heart:

1 Like

The child needs to be taught as well as the dog, unfortunately events happen, mainly because dog has had enough, as long as dog has his own quiet place this should work, a pittie is only a dog, they only want love too

Best dog I’ve ever owned!

We got a kitten a year ago. That cat today literally takes food right out of his mouth. :flushed::rofl::woman_shrugging:t3: and has been eating from his bowl almost since day one! :heart_eyes:

No. They can be temperamental. As can several other breeds. I’d get a mutt shelter puppy or s great pyrenees to raise with my kids

1 Like

All dogs can be temperamental. I have two pitbulls. The 5 year old one is well trained and she’s amazing with the kids. The 6 month old pitbull still needs alot of training but she’s sweet and loveable. Don’t judge the breed.

1 Like

Drop the stigma and see it as any other puppy.

I think the answer is in everyone’s pictures!!!

1 Like

I have a pitbull, a pointer & a jackrussell terrier. My pitbull is a dote. Im a responsible parent & pet owner so dogs & my children would never ever be left alone but my pitbull is the marshmallow of the pack. The terrier is the one we watch for. My pitbull loves my 3 year old & has always been so gentle & caring with her since she was a newborn. Pitbulls are known to be nanny dogs. Its the way they’re brought up. A golden retriever has more of an incident rate if you Google. You have to teach boundaries between both pet & child.

Any dog can be aggressive, but even when they aren’t you shouldn’t let your kids climb all over your dogs, you never know what could trigger them. I was attacked by a dog I grew up with, not a pit, just be cautious and train your puppy right.

It’s how their raised. I’ve only ever own pit bulls growing up and all of them have been the best companions now and when I was a kid.

1 Like

Almost 12 yrs old. He has never hurt a soul, he loves his baby girl, makes the best food vacuum around (seriously will find every crumb of food in the house), he is our cuddle monster, and there is nothing that will change my love for him. Plus there are 4 other pitbulls within extended family and all of them live with kids too

My older kids are growing up with my pit. My ex husband got one like 3 or 4 years ago now. He got her from the pound. He went to look and left and came back an hour later for her. He said he couldn’t leave her there. She is a big baby… and they have a 5yr old (she was a toddler then) and a infant now. (Along with our two. Half time) never had an issue. My ex trained her well…

I have a Pitty/Boxer mix.
I adopted him when he was 4ish. And he LOVES US. The only thing he wants is to be in our lap most of the time and toys. Pitts can be emotional and needy more than anything! They strive for love, structure, and exercise! Don’t let a breed scare you, every dog has their own story to tell♥️

1 Like

Female pits make the best nanny dogs, actually all pits make good nanny dogs…

1 Like

You have to be cautious no matter what breed you get.

1 Like

It’s not the breed irs the way they are raised. If you raise it the right way. Treat it as your kid and love it.

It’s all in how you raise them. You can train any breed of dog to be mean. Just like with a person. The way they’re upbringing is determines the way they treat others. Of you show the dog love it’s gonna love you back. But if you raise the dog to be mean and hateful that’s what you’re gonna have :woman_shrugging:. You could teach any breed of dog to be mean.

Pittys are wonderful furever friends. Mine are very sweet and lovable. They love my cats And watch over my children. Its all in how u raise them. If you have the time to properly train them and give them the love and attention they need. They will steal your bed and will forever snuggle you

1 Like

It’s much better to get any dog as a puppy in my opinion. You just never know what they have been through if you rescue them. We did rescue this guy and he’s about 3/4 years old and is a wonderful dude.

I have an American Staffy and he is amazing with kids and every one when I was pregnant would do my head in that he will get jealous and turn on my baby . And it’s the opposite and it’s probably because I raised him like a big baby

Mines a big baby! Had her since she was about 3 months old. And 2 kids, it’s all how you raise them!

She is the best dog with kids and babies ever.

Out of all the dogs I’ve ever had big and small cross and purebred, my chihuahua pug mix was the nastiest little bastard around. He had been abused in his first home and never really shook his stand offish attitude especially around strange men. It’s all in how a dog is raised and treated. No one should be afraid of a dog because of it’s breed.

I would get a dog that’s breed as a inside animal, why take a chance we have a Shitzu and he’s absolutely wonderful.

why is this even a question?! if you don’t think you can raise a dog in a proper environment with love and discipline then don’t have a dog. it’s not just about training/teaching the dog, it’s also about teaching your kids how to properly treat an animal.

3 Likes

I have a 2 month old and 7 year old and my Pitt is 8. He loves my girls. He just likes to try and lick my youngest daughter’s face off. So he has to be supervised. I also can’t let my 7 year old alone with him for to long because he is an animal and she likes to agitate him. He has never aggressively bit her. He did a love grab with his mouth to her to let her know it was enough. He is a great dog. The best thing to do is to teach both the kids and the dog how to appropriately interact with each other.

2 Likes

Don’t let someone fool you to think they are anymore likely to hurt a child… cause actually they are not… maybe hurt you for trying to spank your child

Pits are the best and most loyal kids dogs… … they will guard that kid like it’s their own.

2 Likes

My pug was 100x more vicious than my pit. Pits are the best, super loyal, loving and fun. It’s all in how you raise them and how you raise your kids to interact with them. If either of those aren’t done appropriately then ANY dog could be a risk.

3 Likes

We have a pit. Shes a big ol baby. We also have 3 kids that she has been around since she was a puppy. Never have had any issues. It’s all in how you raise them. Don’t let society scare you because of the ones that weren’t raised the correct way.

I would say wait. If you’re worried because the child is 4 years old. You will be 100% taking care of the dog. Your 4 year will only like it for a while then start bugging the doggy because that’s what they do. All play with the pets.
I personally would wait. You can always get a dog. Wait until your child is older since you’re looking at a medium size breed.

My chihuahua mixture is probably more vicious then a pit bull ! Lol

2 Likes

My daughter loves our pitty theyve been beat friends since she was a baby

1 Like

We have two rescue Pitties and 2 kids. They are the most gentle and loving dogs ever. Just hate they were starved and abused before we found them

I’ve had my baby since she was 7 wks. Shell be 9yrs in 2 days. My daughter was 3 when we got her, since I had another daughter, 2 nieces and 2 nephews. They all grew up climbing jumping tugging ears grabbing tail even when she ate, it’s never been an issue, shes very over protective of us and even more the littles. It’s all on how you choose to train them. I never put her in a kennel or locked her away anywhere, and when I would feed her the kids were around so she grew up with that. She won’t eat around the littles now, she waits til shes alone. Again, it’s all on how comfortable you are owning a beautiful pit. And how you choose to train it.

One of the best breeds!
Just make sure you train your kid as much as you train the dog.

1 Like

I have a pitbull and he is amazing with my 6 year old. I got him when he was 6 weeks old and I was 6 weeks pregnant…
Best nanny dog around

We rescued a Pit who was a little over a year when we got her. We then found out later that fall we were pregnant. She is the best dog with our kids. Train the puppy and make sure your little one knows boundaries with the dog and I don’t see an issue. If you are worried about the breed I wouldn’t. They were called nanny dogs for a reason.

My husband and I both had pitties growing up. Chopper is our current pit. He’s the BIGGEST baby ever and love his small human so much. He is also obsessed with babies. He’d like a baby to death if I let him :joy:. So excited for our baby boy to arrive in June so he can get all the snuggles to.

I got my first pit about a year n a half ago and it was the best decision I’ve ever made… Pits are the BIGGEST BABIES!!! I am going to be 100% honest my son’s chihuahua is more apt to bite someone than a pit that’s raised right and loved the way it should be…

1 Like

I have a 10 year old pit and a 7 year old daughter and he loved her for day one :purple_heart: they’re best friends

Any breed can be a good or bad dog. It depends on how you raise and train them.

Has cone due to be fixed. Daughters best friend. Hell my best friend

We have a pit bull and a Rottweiler with our 2 kids ( 3 and 7) our pitbull sleeps with our 7 yr old every night. She is the best dog we have ever had and is so loving and protective over our children.

1 Like

They are an amazing dog breed that is normally great with kids, very loving and kind but can be protective of their family. Treat them well and they will treat you well

If you train a dog it will turn out fine

and honestly when it comes to kids dogs in general are great. My grandparents pit hates strangers but you walk in with a baby or a kid and he melts. Same goes with my german shepherd

My son just got his first puppy :heart: its a full blooded pit and they absolutely adore eachother

I have an 11 year pit and a 2 year old son. She has been protective of him since the minute he came home and have been best friends since. It’s been several years since shes been around any little ones but has ALWAYS done good with them!

I was scared of them because of reputation until a coworker said her pittie would stand by her daughter’s crib so she could climb in and out by standing on its back!

Piitbulls or Pitt breeds are amazing dogs. There nickname is the nanny dog. They are great with kids. I have a bully mix that’s amazing with my kids we got her at 6 weeks old and she will be 8 this year. My son will also be 8. They have grown up together amd its been wonderful. I say go for it but remember puppies are alot of work and require training

I had a pit and lab mix when I was 4 and she was the sweetest dog ever. We also had a male pit and he was a big baby as well . It’s how you train them to be around kids . But also you need to make sure your kids understand not to stand , sit, pull ears or tale, or anything that could make a animal go in destress and that’s for all animals not pits. Also need to teach the dog not to be food aggressive

1 Like

I had one his entire life. He was already a senior when my daughter was born and was absolutely amazing with her. He never left her side. He passed away November 2019, she was almost 3 and she still talks about him. :blue_heart:

1 Like

If you’re worried about behavior issues- this is a puppy. Behavior is learned. We have a German Shepherd who is my daughters best buddy. She’s been around all kinds of animals and the only one to ever cause an injury was actually a shitzu that but her in the face. Pit bulls, correction- all dogs can be great dogs when they’re raised correctly.

I have an almost 11 year old pit Bull and she is the sweetest girl you could ask for. She grew up with my oldest who is 11 and my two other kids who are 9 and 6. And she would never hurt them. It’s all in how they are raised. I say yes get one. It will be the protector of the babies and home.

I’d rather have a pit than a Chihuahua lol

4 Likes

Train train train both the dog and the humans lol. Doesn’t matter what the breed is, if they are raised with the correct intentions then they should be amazing but you should never leave them unsupervised regardless. Always teach children to respect their space and also their body. Dogs are unpredictable no matter how well they behave. Be responsible, always supervise and educate your children on the importance of living with animals. :blush:

1 Like

I have a boxer Pitt. Good with kids. Loves my 3 month old so much. I also have a 5 and 10 yr old. She’s a rescue. Very smart.

She was severely abused as puppy to the point animal control took her away, she was adopted and brought back because she was too much, then my husband adopted her and was told not to have her around children, a year later I came into the picture with my children, three years later and she doesn’t love anything more than being with her kids!

3 Likes

This is joker. He is half pit half boxer. Got him as soon as he was winged 3 years ago for my boys for Xmas. Biggest baby ever. Every time the boys go outside to play he will go sit wherever they are playing to protect them. He has been attacked by stray dogs n had to fight against them n still never turned on us. No matter what breed it’s how u raise the dog.

He will cuddle my 8 kids to death. That tail is wicked. He is clumsy. He knocks the baby down. Did I mention he cuddles alot. When babies were newborns he would try to carry them if they were burrito wrapped he really thought I brought him home a whole baby to love. He is 6.5 he is the best.

3 Likes

My kids grew up with a pit bull. They would use her like a pillow💚 they could do whatever they wanted to that dog and she would let them she wouldn’t show a tooth… until you tried messing with the kids or me. I wouldn’t have it any other way! And it teaches that the stigma around the breed is just that a pit bull is the most loyal breed when raised right.

At 4 months old the dog is still young and you can train it to be a loving dog. If you train it right you shouldn’t have many issues with the dog and any kids. I would be more worried about a child that young and a cat.

2 Likes

I have a pit bull puppy and he is the best dog and great with my kids. I feel it all in how you raise them.

25 Likes

I can not stress this enough…
Its not the bread its the owner…
All dogs have it in them to be aggressive…
Personally my aunts terrier was far worse than her daughter’s dog that she had to have put down by law because of its breed :sleepy:
You just have to use your common sense and never leave anything to chance when it comes to your kids :heartpulse:

6 Likes

Same as any other dog… teach dog and kid how to interact. We’ve had pit bulls my entire child’s lives. It isn’t the dog it’s the training, rules, socializing

5 Likes

Yes its fine as long as you raise it correctly, and you should never leave a child alone unsupervised with ANY type of dog!

1 Like

My mom has a pit and she is the best dog with my kids! She is seriously the sweetest thing

1 Like

Girl if you get that puppy they’ll be bff’s with your kid. I’d be more concerned if with a senior dog because they’re not as tolerant sometimes. The biggest challenge you’ll have is teaching puppy and toddler to be gentle with each other.

1 Like

Go to your vet and discuss it with him/her. Realize that your lifestyle will influence your pet. Please know that training a dog to near perfection is not a simple task for many people. Release, leave it and come are very important. Must folks and pets must practice, practice, practice! Whatever you choose just remember that you get back what you put forth, if you don’t have time to train or don’t feel confident in training please wait. Your dogs personality will somewhat reflect yours. Good luck!