Thoughts on owning a pitbull with kids?

My cat used to bully my Pitbull :joy:. To anyone who thinks they’re dangerous, you know nothing of the breed. They are amazingly king, nurturing and smart. They used to be called nanny dogs, look it up. My pit was two when my daughter was born and we never ever had a problem.

2 Likes

Pits are VERY protective. The chances of it biting are slim to none if raised right!! The chances of it protecting your baby (and you for that matter) are 100%!!

5 Likes

Agreed with all above. It’s how you bring them up x

Bad owners not bad breed. I wouldn’t ever have another kind of dog protecting my family.

2 Likes

Train the dog right and that will be her best friend and greatest protector.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust any dog but we bring ours up with kids I never leave my dog out she’s involved in everything!

1 Like

My only experience with a pit/boxer mix is a family adopted one when it was 2 yrs old. It’s fixed and was given to a shelter. The were told she wasn’t good around small children and other dogs. She has and gets in to fights with other dogs and has bitten a dog over 12 times, has went thru a patio screen door to attack the other dog. Has bitten people 4 times. Twice it has bitten and attacked a 2 yrs old as they were trying to give her treats. She was at a shelter and we don’t know her background.

U know they give pits a bad reputation my daughter has one and has 9 kids that dog is amazing but to a stranger u better run

From my experience pit bulls have been the best with kids. I had one growing up and my brother got one when he had his first daughter. His dog is the most loving towards kids.

We have two Staffys and they let me 16 month old climb all over them, he gives them hell, but adores them more than anything and they are the most patient sweetest dogs I’ve ever seen. I’m always there and never leave them alone though as you can never be 100% sure, but it’s all about how you raise a pet, not what kinda breed/pet it is.

Has for me I am a German rot person I love them to death

A pit is just like any other dog. You need to train it young and it will be your child’s best friend

Pits are great family dogs!! We have two and they love my kids!!! Just get them young and expose them to lots of kids.

I have a pitbull and 3 kids under the age of 5. She is an amazing family dog, and is a little suck who is scared of our cat! Lol.

The only thing killer about a pitbull are thier farts :woozy_face:. And they will try and lick you to death!

3 Likes

My youngest with our pit Diesel who passed away back in November. He was the absolute best dog in the world. Pits are super loving and super loyal and their just the sweetest dog ever.

3 Likes

She’ll be 14 this year. Best $10 I ever spent.

2 Likes

He just passed. They spent 14 years growing up together. He was her dog. He had to be in the room with her. She pulled on and played with him while he was young and he let her. He was her protector. We miss him terribly.

4 Likes

Do not get one. Animals have good days and bad days. All it takes is one bite to the face

3 Likes

We have 1 full pit and 1 pit boxer. Raised correctly they are big babies.

They will steal your heart and your bed! I had the same fear, we socialized him from the start with people and animals, you will never meet a kinder dog! It’s all in how you raise and love them!

Train your dog properly and dont abuse it and you will have no issues. Ive grown up with pittys my whole life and have never had any issues with them even my dogs mother that came from abuse into our loving home. A dog is a reflection on their owner. Treat them like family not just another object you own.

1 Like

Some of these comments are ridiculous. :rage:

1 Like

I have 2 pitbulls and 4 small children in the house. The youngest (1 1/2 years old) literally falls asleep on them. They are incredibly sweet and get a horrid reputation.

We have 2 and they are the most amazing dogs with kids. So protective of them and loving and patient

I’ve had 2 and they have been the best dogs, both with children and adults. They were angels with the sweetest disposition. Lovers :heart::heart::heart:

It depends on how you raise them if you raise it right it will be the best dog you’ve ever had. I have had my pit for almost 12 years and she has NEVER snapped at any kids, much less growled or anything.

1 Like

I have two pits and i trust them more than any other breed

As long as you train and socialize ( that goes for any breed)
I has one growing up, and he was the biggest love bug! :heart::heart:

1 Like

The #1 family dog, hands down!!! Your children will always be safe

1 Like

Depending on how you raise them and teach your daughter boundaries with it. I know they have a bad reputation but any dog can bite. Yeah a Chihuahua won’t do the same damage of course but can still bite. I’ve had Staffordshire bull terriers all my life and never had a problems

2 Likes

We have a pittie and honestly, we’ve owned a few and my sister has a few. I used to be super worried because they were an “agressive” bree but pitt bulls are now my absolute favorite breed of dogs. They are super gentle and great with my 4 kids. My youngest is 7 oldest 13 and we’ve had them almost their entire lives. 2 of my kids have been bit by other (not mine) breeds of dogs. But I’ve never had an issue with Pitts.

Get them while they are young better bond and better trust

Harley is a killa😂!!! We got him from the shelter two years ago, and he absolutely loves the two kids (5&8). I do make sure they respect boundaries (no playing while he’s eating, etc), but they love to wrestle and run together.

1 Like

I have a rescue pitador and every morning when I go to wake up my 11 year old, who is extremely difficult to wake up, our pit climbs between me and my son to protect him from me constantly tapping on my son to wake him up. They don’t make good guard dogs because they love people so much. The only issue we have with our pup is he hates other animals. But that’s the only negative. We’ve had him for over a year.

Pitties are the best ! Biggest mushers ever ! There are no bad dogs just bad dog owners !

5 kids…3 pitties, 3 cats and a guinea pig…it’s all in how you raise them.My moms chihuahua on the other hand…I don’t trust that bish. (Kinda kidding, but still)

Any dog can be violent if not trained correctly, that being said in my experience “pit bulls” are given a bad reputation. Did you know that they were originally known as the nanny dog? This is because they are great with kids, they care for their people, they have amazing instincts and can sense emotions and danger. They can protect their family if need be, and will. But in general they will steal your bed, sit on you, lick you to death and kill you with their farts. This is Ducky my 8 month old American Staffordshire terrier.

I work with animals and I’m gonna tell you pits are some of the best dogs that come through our door I have 5 kids and a pit mix and you also have to remember they are animals you should never leave your child unattended with any animal

Just as with any dogs/animals set healthy boundaries and continue to teach your children how to treat animals. We have 3 pits 4 older children and an 8 year old granddaughter and we have never had a problem. :relaxed:

My super scary pit bull. He’s great with all three kids aged from 14-4

3 Likes

Great dogs, have raised them with my children. Just like any other dog proper training goes a long way Ans always keep an eye on other people when they are in your home, pits are protective and don’t like their little people hit on Ans will protect them. Nanny dogs :slightly_smiling_face:

I am a reporter and have covered too many stories of children mauled by pit bulls, so I would say no. Maybe when the child is older.

3 Likes

I’ve had them all my life. Best dogs I Have ever had.
Here is my daughter with our pitty girl.

They are amazing dogs

No different than getting any other dog. You will need to teach your children the appropriate way to interact with dogs, and also at 4 months it can be hard to tell how big the dog may get and how much exercise they’ll need. You need to be ready to provide that to them because kids won’t reliably do it. Our previous dog was a pit mix and he was the greatest dog I’ve ever owned. But again, they are still a dog and it’s really important that you teach your kids to use gentle hands and give the animal space when he signals that he’s had enough handling.

I have a 5 year old rescue pit. I have a 4 and 2 year old. When I say this big ole sweetheart of a pup has NEVER done wrong.

If you train a dog properly and raise it properly chances of the dog hurting anyone is slim to none.

Teach your child not to climb and hit and all’s good. Added a pic of my insanely sweet girl for reference :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I work shelter med & probably close to 85-90% of our dogs are pit-type dogs (including mixes). Every dog is an individual, but generally speaking they are good dogs. Some of them are pretty high energy, but some are more laid back.
A lot has to do with training & socializing. But they do get traits from their parents, especially in regards to energy levels & intelligence.
With any dog you have to be willing to put in the work to train & socialize if you want them to be “good” dogs.

3 Likes

I have a pitbull mix and he just wants to sleep and lay cuddled up with someone all the time. He’s been around all 3 of mine since either toddler or baby stages and never had a single issue.

They are vicious… they can be nice one day n attack the next. Everyone says it’s the way they’re trained but do we really think all pit bull attacks come from mistreated pit bulls. And if that’s the case, are they the only breed that are “mistreated” n not trained well? Because why are they the main ones that u hear attack and kill ALL the time! To me the question boils down to if your child is worth the risk.

8 Likes

I have 4 Pitts and 5 kids. Never once had an issue with my pitts biting anyone. It’s all about their environment and how they are raised.

1 Like

I had 2 boys who were brothers from the same litter half boxer half pit… best dogs I’ve ever had… most obedient and quietest dogs I’ve hever had. One in particular never left my youngest side he’d go outside with her, nap with her, let her climb him like a jungle gym… I miss my boys…

American bully family!

2 Likes

My pit was the best with my kids she was such a mom to them they definitely aren’t vicious little dogs cause more attacks in people then put bulls don’t listen to people feel the dog out and see if its a match

It is not the breed of dog, it is how they are trained and treated. You will also have to teach your children how to treat and respect a dog.

3 Likes

Its about how the dog raised as well as educating your child about larger dogs being at 4 months is a perfect learning area for training. I worked as a vet tech and we all agreed pits were the best breed we had in even rescue pits! They’re Honestly the one of the best dogs I’ve come around but always do your research.

5 Likes

ANY dog could potentially be dangerous to ANY of your children. Dont let losers just talk shit on pit bulls to you… when ANY dog can be an asshole. I grew up with 1 american eskimo, 2 border collies and 1) pit-bull that I still have today! Guess which was the most behaved and nicest? The pitbull. My moms dogs growing up were fucking mean. They’d bite your ankles and you couldnt have any friends over or they’d be bit and chased as well.

So far out of all breeds of dogs, my child has been around pit bulls the most. It seems like its a common dog in my area actually? ALL of the dogs my son has been around are the sweetest and nicest pit-bulls I ever did see! Just remember, ANY animal could potentially be dangerous to kids! Even cats! But i truly believe if you raise and train them correctly, pit bulls are a really loving and smart breed for a family.

They’re best friends and inseparable.

1 Like

I have a pit that we rescued from an abusive home, he’s scared of literally everything even 5 years later BUT I have a 1 year old and 2 year old and he is the most patient sweetest dog, he has never shown them any aggression what so ever. It’s not the breed it’s bad owners that make pit bulls mean and aggressive

My super scary pit lol he’s more of a kid than my kid lol he’s only 9 months now so they’re growing up together. Any dog can snap not just a pit. I hate that stereotype. They truly are the best dogs. Ive had many types of dogs growing up and never had an issue with any of the pits

2 Likes

As long as you properly train your dog as well as teaching your children how to properly act with animals.

1 Like

It’s not the breed. Its how you raise them.

3 Likes

It’s your responsibility to train and socialize any dog properly, regardless of breed, just as It’s your responsibility to teach your child how to properly care for said dog. Pits are amazing with kids. Get that dog!

1 Like

I have 2 of them and 3 kids :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

They are great dogs, with that being said, they come with lots of extra responsibility. The issue won’t be with your kids, it will most likely be with neighbors, landlords, insurance companies. If you are a renter I would definitely say no. If you are a home owner you will have to check with your insurance. There was 1 company that I could get coverage with that was affordable and not outrageous due to liability stuff. Those would be the things you need to worry about bc most likely the company you have now will not cover you anymore if they know you own a “dangerous” breed.

I’ve been around dogs my entire life. I’ve had many different breeds and my two pitties are the most affectionate and protective. I have a young child and we have always told her how to behave around dogs in general and what to do in situations. But I would say the lessons I am teaching her cross any breed boundary. It’s important to teach children right from wrong when it comes to pets and caring for animals.

Definitely depends how they are raised!! :roll_eyes: my 2 year old rides my big pit like a horse and hes the sweetest gentlest thing ever… now our weenie dog on the other hand… she cant be trusted alone around the kids…

I’m a vet tech. Pitties and pit mixes are one of the top breeds I’d own. American bullies too. All kids need to be taught how to be kind to animals and mindful of their personal space. People scared of one breed simply does not have enough animal/dog experience. Spay/neuter your pets also helps with potential aggression issues.

2 Likes

Pit bulls are not mean dogs. Get the dog, you wont regret it :heart:

My pit bull is 10 years old now, my kids are 7 and 6. They lay on her. They chase her, she chases them. They all have the best time together. She lays at their side every night for many years. She’s only not the same with other dogs. She’s a real B.
In all, she’s been wonderful to all of us. We have never had an incident at all. Just never leave a dog alone with a baby or child. I don’t care what breed it is. Dogs will be dogs.

We have 2 kids and 2 pit mixes. They are fantastic with our kiddos :heart:

Why would anyone take the chance?

4 Likes

I had absolutely bought into the stigma too. We ended up getting the light brown one from a friend of a friend, she’s my oldest son’s therapy dog & I couldn’t ask for a better dog him. Since I’ve seen how wrong I was, we adopted the black one & the white one. (The big guy in the back is my SO’s before we met). They are ridiculously snuggly & have been super easy to train

1 Like

It’s all in how they are raised. If you train him right and don’t abuse him he will be fine. Pitties are some of the most lovable dogs. They are not a bad breed… they get a bad wrap for how their humans raised them

I’m fairly certain my 7 year old is this sweet girls absolute favorite person. She sleeps in his bed every night that he is with us. She will wander the house looking for him and just wants to give him all of the love .:woman_shrugging:t3: There’s a reason they’re referred to as nanny dogs.

Any dog can bite if put in the right/wrong situation.

2 Likes

It depends how you raise the dog. If you treat the dog well the dog will treat you well. Pit bulls get a bad name. But it’s not their fault. It’s the owners that should get a bad name. Not the dogs. I was raised with pit bulls and never had to worry about being bit.

Ive had pitt bulls forever and 2 little boys. It really depends on the temperament of the dog but my pitts have always been snuggle bugs. Never even had 1 so much as snip at my boys.

Now chihuahuas are wiener dogs are another story.

My big baby is only a danger to her food bowl. But, do start by teaching your daughter that the new baby isn’t a horse, doesn’t want his ears or tail pulled on, and is an animal that should be respected…simply because if a pitbull DOES bite, its a bad deal.

This was my baby. He was killed by some neighbors when he escaped my yard. Never so much as bared his teeth in his whole life.

2 Likes

Pit bulls are amazing. It’s how you train and raise them that counts. As a child there was a pit bull always walking around the streets where I used to live and she was the sweetest with all the kids. She made me fall in love with pit bulls. Pit bulls are the #1 recorded dog attacks but there are other dogs that bite a lot more than pit bulls. Teaching boundaries for everyone in the household is very important as well.

1 Like

I work with dogs, not had the pleasure of the Pitbull as I’m UK but in my experience it’s not the breed that matters and it’s the way they are raised? Worst bite I’ve ever had was off a poodle of all things😳 I think the only thing to bear in mind are the needs of the dog,I understand they are large bullbreeds so will be very strong and need alot of exercise? Read up on the breed before you take one on to ensure you can provide what it needs.

I’ve had pitbulls growing up and currently have one with a 2.5 year old and an 8 year old. They are beautiful dogs. If you are concerned though get one as a puppy so you know it’s history and invest in some puppy training!

It does not matter the breed it depends on how they’re raised, but also remember that with any kind you get at the end of the day a dog is a dog

1 Like

We got our baby as a puppy 9 weeks old. She gets a little hyper with my kids who are 10,7, and 3. She has ripped their clothes and knocked them down many times. But she loves them, she just thinks of them as playmates and doesn’t realize she is huge. She’s over a year old, but I’m hoping eventually she will calm down. Make sure they get loads of toys and bones to chew.

I have had several and several mixes they are great with kids especially if you get them young and raise them together

My mom has a pit and she is the sweetest! If their raised right but that’s any dog ANY dog can turn on someone, if I were you I would get a puppy so that the puppy grows with baby. They are the most protective and loving dogs, it’s not the breed to worry about its how their raised. My mom’s pit is the sweetest and has been around my daughter and my two nieces since my nieces were babies and she’s very protective of them. When they go visit grandma otherwise she isn’t around kids but she wouldn’t hurt anyone or anything and she’s a full blooded blue pit

I’d be cautious with any dog around 2 year old. Also our pitbull has never shown any aggression. He’s a great family dog.

1 Like

I have 2 pits at home and a 2 year old they love him and he loves them he will be all over them all the time he pulled there tail pokes them in the eye feeds them and tries to eat with them they have never done anything to my son

I have two kids and two pits. We’ve had one since she was a puppy and my youngest was a little over a year. Just be prepared. If I get on to the youngest boy the pit will get In between us. Freya(my pit) is very protective of kids.

1 Like

Dont bully the breed…if you raise them right they are amazing dogs…a friend has one as a service dog

3 Likes

we have a pit since she’s 8 weeks old , she is the gentlest animal ever, always wants love & biggest cuddler. my 9 year old does anything & everything to her & she just goes with the flow. we also have a cat & she doesnt bother her, get the puppy, it’ll be your best friend

I’ve had my pitbull for 9 years and I have 5 small kids, best dog I have ever had. She is so protective over them and incredibly good with them, never had any problems. It isn’t the breed of dog, it is the people who raise them. With any dog or any animal you have to teach your children how treat them.

Any breed of dog is fine as long as you train it correctly

1 Like

It’s not the breed, it’s how they’re raised. If you raise it right, it will be just as sweet as any other dog

2 Likes

13 years old. Been the biggest baby of them all!

1 Like

I have a 2 and 5 year old . their grandparents have a pitbull the dog is mostly hyper . loving. My kids loves the dog especially my son he has sensory processing disorder. The dog clams him down

We have a pit/lab mix. The lab part of my dog is more scary than the pit side of him. And honestly, it’s only his bark because of how deep and loud he is lol.
I was a little nervous with my newborn around him simply because he’s a big dopey dog and thinks he’s the size of a chihuahua (we adopted him when we first son was a toddler so he hadn’t been around babies before)
He was the most loving, gentle dog ever. And he still has a strong attachment to our youngest who is almost 2 now.
It really is a shame how they have a bad rep.

This is what an ABUSED pittie looks like. When she was found she was dragging a tow chain, teets were dragging the ground, she had only one puppy in tow and she was extremely malnourished. She’s now spoiled beyond belief. The only person I worry about her biting is the one that comes to harm my kids or me.

1 Like

I got my pit when she was a year and a half old. She was literally scared of everything and was abused by the previous owner. At the time my son was a couple years old and I was pregnant. She wouldn’t let him hmgo near her she’d run and hide. After working with her for awhile she’s literally been the best dog I’ve ever had. 10 years later we still have her and she sleeps with my boys. I trust her with my life when it comes to my kids. It just goes to show it is 100% how they are raised. They do need discipline and training. However, if you’re willing to put in the work they are totally worth ever second.

1 Like

I was in your exact position. Husband wanted the dog our youngest was 5/6. Finally agreed to it and every bad rumor about then has been false! 7 1/2 yrs later he’s the biggest baby! Scared of the broom, trash bags, vacuum etc but has mean sounding bark. We now have 2 grandkids and wants to run around with them when they are here

1 Like