Thoughts on the Mirena IUD?

Okay ladies, thoughts on the mirena IUD??

4 Likes

I’ve had it almost a year now. First two months I had a lot of heavy irregular bleeding but now I only spot for my periods. No cramps, nothing. I love it.

I’ve had two, and it’s my favorite form of birth control! No periods, no pregnancy, and to a degree it helps control and slow down the growth of my endometriosis! Best birth control I’ve ever used!

Had them for years. Best BC ever!

My sister had it and non stop spotted! Every body is different and will react differently.

I had no issues with mine. I would get again if I had too. Having No period was the best part for me!

Getting it put in was worse pain than giving birth to my daughter. It was horrible for the first year, bled very heavily for a year straight with random severe cramping. Ended up in the ER a couple times. After that the bleeding slowed down and eventually stopped, so did most of the cramping. Haven’t really had any issues since then.

I had it for 2 years. Aside from the pain of getting it inserted & removed (I have a retroverted uterus so they had to inflate my uterus to put it in) I looooved it. No periods, so side effects. I had one scare while I was on it, and then found out my strings curled inwards and it made me paranoid that it would move. Been off of it for about 3 cycles now.

I’ve had one for over 16 years(changed every 5 yrs) Two months after I removed it I was preggers… it’s great in my opinion !!

I have never had the Mirena but instead got the Liletta and have no problems at all.No periods and have had it for years now.

Mine fell out after less than 3 months

All my friends loved them but mine didn’t work out at all, periods non stop maybe 3 days off a month. Got an ablation after 9 months of it!!! Thank goodness!!!

I have it. It was my first IUD. When they put it in I was in a decent bit of pain for a while. The first 6 or so months kinda sucked cause I was in a lot of pain and bleeding pretty consistently, but now I’m approaching the 1-year mark in June and it’s been great! No more bleeding and only a tiny bit when I get my “period” each month. It definitely just took me some time to get adjusted! Nice to set it and forget it!

Worked just as it should for me and I had no period but my acne got so bad I had to have it removed.

It worked for me. No issues.

Have it. Been bleeding for three weeks now. Constant migraines and cramps. I haye it and am going to call my dr to have it removed.

Had it about 12 years ago. It moved and I ended up pregnant figured it was a coincidence so I got it again. Wish I didn’t

Got pregnant on it and now I have a 10 yo lol

Had my 1st one for almost 5 years, loved it.
Had my 2nd one for a little over 5 years, loved it.
Had my 3rd and current one for 3 years and love it.
No periods. No complications. Was able to get pregnant (trying) within a month or two after removal.

Had mine for 5 years . And I felt.i had my period for 2 or 3 weeks .constantly bleeding .and painful cramps and when it was to remove they couldn’t find it. It was painful when they did remove it…I would never get it again. But I love the ring it’s amazing

As many have said above everyone is different. Luckily for us there is multiple options. I’ve tried almost all of them. The worst for me was the depo shot it made me CRAZY. I’ve had my IUD for 2 years it’s made me gain a little weight and makes my hormones wild sometimes but all Bc does me that way. Talk with your doctor to make an informed decision for you!

I’ve had two, no issues…but definitely consult with your OBGYN.

I got the liletta iud and have not had any problems. I’m on my second one. This last one I’ve had since 6 weeks after my daughter was born in 2020.

Everyone is different
Our bodies respond different to all medications
I have it for 16 years total best
Decision I have ever made!!

It’s good at first but over time I hated it . throws my hormones and my body for a loop . If I knew what I know now I wouldn’t have been on birth control .

Don’t do it!! Run away! I had it and had so many complications from it! I literally thought I was going to die, lead to a hysterectomy. And me being on super strong medicines that the dr was even scared to put me on, but had no choice.

I’ve had good and bad experiences with mine. First 1 fell out my husband took my 2nd one out when we decided to try for a baby and I have ovarian cysts for the rest of my life because of it.

I’m about to get my second one… No periods at all no issues with it.

I’ve had it twice. NEVER EVER again and I would t recommend it to anyone either

I think everyone is different. I had my first one migrate and it got stuck, I had to have a procedure to have it removed. The second one was placed properly and I’ve had it for 3 years, no pregnancy, no periods other than minor spotting 2 or 3 times, and no weight gain or bad side effects.

1 Like

I got it because after my last child I had Bad painful periods. Hardly no period. I did have almost 60 days of bleeding but after I love it

My first one made me fat and angry, the 2nd one didn’t prevent pregnancy and I ended up having an ectopic surgically removed

After 60 days of a period, the iud was the only thing that stopped it. Spotting a bit around when I used to get a period but gone after a few hours. I even had an ablation before I had the iud and that didn’t work either

I have it placed for the last 15 years and have had it changed every 5 years. I havent had any type of menses cycle or anything.

Have had it for years and it’s been wonderful! Talk to your doctor because obviously it’s not for everyone!

Absolutely not. I was in pain and on and off bleeding for 2 years in addition to the monthly periods. Worse cramps ever.

2 Likes

Mine migrated. The symptoms mimicked appendicitis. I was in pre-op to remove my appendix when the general surgeon found it on xray. I was on so much pain medication I didn’t know whether I was coming or going. They had to put me on oxygen and in an ambulance to the hospital where my doctor’s had authorization to remove it. I felt everything during removal it was pretty bad. That was 12yrs ago. I lost my left fallopian tube last year due to damage from the removal.

1 Like

I had a really terrible experience after it was removed and it took years to get my hormones back to normal and caused infertility. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone

1 Like

Had it for the full time. Constant infections. Literally every month I got BV. 14 day long periods. Gyn wouldn’t take it out. Took my body a full year to go back to normal after finally getting it removed.
1000% do not reccommend

4 Likes

It messed with my hair thinned it out horribly the only good part was I had no period.

Never again. I got pregnant on it, and it was the reason that baby died.

Have had them since my oldest who is 20 was born. Got on after her and then got it taken out to get pregnant with my next baby. Had another one put in after her. Got that one taken out to get pregnant with my last baby who is 8 almost 9. Got one put in after her and just got that one taken out not too long ago and had them put a new one right back in. Best thing ever. Never had any problems and it completely stopped my periods.

Mine just made me feel sick constantly spotted and then after 8 months I started getting bad pain, it had gotten stuck in my cervex and got infected had to get it surgically removed

No I wouldn’t recommend. I swear that what cause all of my health problems

I’ve had it for about 5 years and I love it! I know there are many bad stories about it but what product doesn’t have a negative review. The pain level of having one put in is really uncomfortable but it’s worth it. I don’t get my period and I do get cramps…some days are better than others but it’s definitely worth getting the mirena . :slight_smile:

I had one painful when it was put in for a year was painful bleeding blood clots then It expelled from my body in a huge clot the size of my hand

Some people have really good luck with them - and some don’t. Sadly I did not tolerate mine - severe, constant pelvic pain and cramping. It ended up having to be removed after 8 months.
I also feel like they don’t prepare you well enough for how painful the insertion is. Especially with someone who has never had a baby.

I’ve got one and have since 2004 off and on I love it no problem at all

Don’t suggest it. I always felt it, it hurt on occasion. My boyfriend could feel it during sex. Horrible option

No periods and issues whatsoever!

Had it 16yrs, no problems

I was having periods every two weeks and it has been a major help with that but man it hurt like hell when they put it in

Nexplanon is best in my opinion.

I would recommend kyleena , I’ve had no negative side effects other than the initial insertion which of course hurts and the spotting for the first 6 weeks. Idk if you have a child but my brand is good for 7 years. I don’t bleed much if at all during my cycle and my pms symptoms are minimal

I got pregnant with the paraguard. They told me if I had the mirena they would have had to abort the baby cause of the hormones released from mirena.