Tip on babysitting a breastfed baby?

I babysit a five-month-old baby girl twice a week, Monday and Friday. She is breastfed. When I first started watching her at about three months, she took a bottle and now she refuses the bottle. I’ve asked the parents to help encourage a bottle for her, but they are quick to give her the breast when she starts to scream. The mom works at the hospital, and I live 45 minutes from her. When she is hungry and me, she screams face red. I’ve tried giving her the bottle before that happens. But once she’s hungry, she screams. Nothing I try will soothe her so I could try the bottle again. She screams until I wrap her and rock her to sleep. She takes a little bit of baby food. I’ve tried a cup, a spoon, and even a syringe (medicine doppler). All efforts just get spit out. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!

8 Likes

Could be nipple shape: one of my daughters would only take one kind of nipple (and of course, i only had 1 and the manufacturer stopped making them!)
Could also be what’s in the bottle: breast babies likely won’t want formula. Also, some moms have high lipase, so milk tastes fine fresh but has a soapy taste of pumped & stored.

I would insist they encourage the bottle; it would also help the father and other family to bond with the baby.
That was one of the best things my sister in law did: she pumped her breast milk and selected the bottles and it made it so much easier for the kids to eat and bond when she was at work, sick, or needed rest.
Possibly take a video of everything you do to try to soothe baby and encourage eating and show to Mom.
It’s not fair for the baby, you, or anyone else who keeps her.
I say that with compassion trying to find a compromise.

1 Like

I personally would tell them to find another sitter. If they aren’t going to work with her at home to take a bottle, that would be a big issue. (I am a former home daycare provider).

1 Like

It could be any number of things. Is moms milk high lipase (does it have a soapy smell?)? If milk is high lipase a drop or two of alcohol free vanilla extract in the bottle can make all the difference. Is the milk being stored properly? Have you tried different bottle types? Or maybe even a sippy cup instead of bottle (my son has always refused the bottle, but has always taken a sippy cup just fine). Does baby take a pacifier? A lot of breastfed babies want to comfort suck, and if mom isn’t around for them to comfort nurse, then a pacifier might help.
You can’t make a breastfeeding mom not breastfeed her child when she is around. It can affect her supply, baby could refuse even more, and for every bottle given at home she would have to pump so her supply isn’t affected.

I watch the neighbors frequently (girls are now 4,3 & 6 wks) all are breast fed when mom is home a year or better.
The bottle makes all the difference and of course breast milk, is mom pumping?

Try these they are shaped like a human nipple kinda thats what my breast fed baby takes

1 Like

Are you feeding formula or mom’s milk? If it’s Mom’s milk, has it gone bad? Has it been stored properly to not get an odd smell or taste?
Maybe mom can leave a blanket she’s worn next to her skin that only is used to comfort during bottle time?

I’ve breastfed and bottle fed my oldest. I used the brands NUK and MAM… maybe try that?

It may be the brand of bottle she does not like the nipples for bottles are all made different I would try a different bottle and nipple.

1 Like

I refused to give my son a bottle when I was around. He was breastfed. Here’s the question, is it breast milk your giving or formula? That makes a difference. The bottle will also make a difference. Lastly, the crying fit is her not getting her way. Just stay calm and patient. My son’s dad watched him while I was at work, and after finding the bottle he liked, and him getting breast milk, they got along just fine.

2 Likes

Listen for lip smacking and fists going to the mouth don’t wait until baby starts getting fussy it’s too late at least that’s how it was for both of my boys i breastfed both and when they’re mad they’re mad not even a boob would make it better lol

2 Likes

I love the playtex curved bottles. They have a big nipple on the bottle and its alot like the breast. I would maybe ask to get some it was so much easier for my baby to go back and forth.

Syringe feeding may work. Also holding baby close with bottle facing her like she is being nursed is comforting. Can ask mom what position she nurses in.

1 Like

Same issue with ebf baby! I had one daycare work who was still nursing her toddler and she stuck the bottle under her arm. She was the only one who was able to feed her but due to the continued illness picked at daycare I quit my job. I had the bottles that mimicked breastfeeding. I would say put on mom’s shirt and tuck the bottle under your arm.

1 Like

My daughter is breast fed. I’ve tried every kind of bottle. Expensive and less expensive. Nothing works. :sob: so I get it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Mom has to be the one to make the transition. Encourage her to use a bottle during the day and only breast at night n nap times.
That’s what I had to do.

1 Like

Ask the mother for one of her shirts that she has worn that has her scent. Hold the babe close to your chest with the bottle like you are breastfeeding with the shirt against your chest as well if she smells her mom she might eat for you

Use breastfeeding bottles and position the baby as if you are breastfeeding. They like the closeness they are used to with Mom!!

1 Like

The Parents need to work with you or stop watching their kid, it’s that simple.

My first born would never take a bottle I brought everyone possible I breast feed him till almost two years old it’s a hard situation to transition your baby when they are use to the breast

1 Like

Baby won’t starve. Will make up for it when momma is home.

1 Like

A different bottle. They have bottles that mimic the breast. Pricey…but worth it.

1 Like

Try offering the bottle before she is really hungry and mad.

1 Like

Get the bottles that are like a breast or the contraption to put on you that will give her the feeling of breast feeding but with her moms milk

2 Likes