Tips for a picky eater?

I have a fan question how do you all get y’all picky two-year-olds to eat. My two-year-old is very picky and will only eat corndogs. I have tried sitting him down and not letting him get up. I have also sat with him and encourage him to try it, but he just won’t.

7 Likes

Persistence, and you have to be more stubborn than the child.

Kids go through phases. My son goes through phases where he will only eat certain things. Chicken nugget only phase, pepperoni only phase, tuna sandwich only phase, etc… I have taken him to his doc also just in case. He says as long as he is eating something it’s better than nothing. I also give my son pediasure suggested by his doc. Also he is the last of 5 children, who also had their phases. I wouldn’t worry so much, just make sure the vitamins come in from something else, you can do pediasure, multi vitamin, whole milk for the calcium, etc…

My daughter grew up eating Mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. She wouldn’t eat much else. I gave her a multivitamin. She graduated with high honors and is going to college on a full scholarship. Quit worrying about it.

2 Likes

I have one of the pickiest eaters. I used to slave making him his own meals or go out of my way to get him what he wanted. Until I gave up. I told him you either eat what was made or have cookies and milk or cereal. He got bored of that and now he eats what’s made. Picks at it, but eats it.

My Grandbaby is like this & I dont recommend making him eat something he dosent want to eat. He may have textures issues & if that’s the case let him eat what he wants & when he’s ready to try other foods he will.

1 Like

My mom always made us sit at the table till we ate it all and also wouldn’t budge on giving us bad foods eventually we just got tired of being at the table and not eating so we ate and she also at a very early age introduced us to many foods, start by offering what he doesn’t like in small portions and ask him to at least take on bite and hopefully he will get the hang of it

I know times have changed my baby is 40 when he was little all he would eat was hot dogs I talked to dr about it he said if that is what he wants let him eat them

Yep they go through phases. Mine was one month Mac and cheese the next month eggs and then hotdogs to corn dogs. Just roll with it. It’s ok.

I talked to a doctor, he said that is normal. They won’t starve to death. Now when you offer what he wants only give him two choices otherwise he will get confused. The waitress will thank you, otherwise he may take an hour to decide. I had a daycare, for the TV time they only wanted Ninja Turtles OVER AND OVER AGAIN. They all do it.

Grew up knowing we had to try 3 bites of everything.

1 Like

I believe there is so much food in this world that you should not have to eat what you don’t like.

My son was like that would only eat hamburgers wouldn’t even eat pizza even as a teenager now he eats everything things I wouldn’t even eat

My son ate cheeseburgers for years when we owned and operated a small town restaurant. He is now 36 and lived through it the will be fine just try to buy as healthy as you can.

Not give him what he wants. Once he hungry he will eat. It might take a few weeka

2 Likes

My two year old used to be like this. And now I’m just super stern. I used to force feed him, and once he tried it he realized he liked it. And once he did eat my boyfriend and I would do lots of words and encouragement

Feed him just on holidays…lol

I guess i’m hard on my kids :woman_shrugging: they eat whats in front of them. If they don’t and want a snack later i send them to their old plate. You eat what is put in front of you or be hungry

My three year old is in what I hope is the same phase. Been for awhile. I encourage with things he really likes. If you try two bites you can have hot Cheetos ( kids love hot fries). He scarfs them down no issue. Tried making him taste things in different sauces as well. Patience is key. He started at about 2 and is 3 now and I’m still at war but I know when he starts school and sees other kids eating things and he doesn’t get options he will eat

Be patient and keep encouraging him to try new things. I also let my little help me cook; English muffin pizzas, mixing, pushing buttons on the stove. It made them happy to eat what they made.

Let him be! He will grow out of it and if doesn’t at least he’s eating what he likes.

When you start them out healthy they will eat healthy.

They’ll eat whats in front of them when they’re hungry enough

2 Likes

Just put whatever there eating on a stick

My little one would only eat chicken nuggets, corn dogs but she has always eaten green beans. It’s just a faze they go through. She is just finally started eating other things and she is 3 now

It will be ok, all kids go through a phase where they only want certain things to eat he will grow out of it. I look at it this way eating that is better then not eating at all and being hungry :thinking:

My 36 year old would only eat chicken nuggets, French fries, and soda at age 2. That is all
Maybe breakfast food every once in a while. I think it is a stage they go through. But he made if to 36 so…

food is a battle not worth fighting over.

I have tried every method out there and only now can i even get my kid to partially eat something other than chicken nuggets. She is almost 6. I also have a 4 year old who has picked up on her bad habits. He says he doesn’t like certain things if he has heard her say it.

I let her burn herself out on chicken nuggets. Now when I cook anything I make her eat from what is there. For example… last 2 nights I’ve made tacos and fajitas. She ate the taco shell, a little bit of meat, and some cheese. It’s not much but she ate. She’s not starving.

Last night she wouldn’t touch the bell pepper in the fajita meat I made but she did eat the chicken and a tortilla with cheese.

Was a time she wouldn’t touch any of that for anything. She gets mad at me when I say I am not gonna make her anything special and she has to eat what I make but oh well.

My 2 year old isn’t too picky… yet. But I assume and dread she will try and follow their bad habits because that’s what kids do.

Something that has actually helped my kids partially over come it… is setting the table and letting them participate in making their own plates. Also when I go grocery shopping I let them each pick out a night or 2 of dinner.

Good luck.

1 Like

This may sound mean, but I made my kids well aware I wasnt making 10 different meals for everyone, they will eat what’s there, or starve. You cant force them to eat, but you’re not starving them by forcing them to eat only what you give them, and they refuse, within limits of course. If you make spaghetti and little Johnie dont want none, you’re not starving him because he chooses to go to bed without eating what you made. And they will learn to eat what’s in front of them.

I do make a few exceptions. My kids are at a age where they know what they like and dont like and have let me know. So I try to make things we all like, every once in a while, the one who doent like say ham can have something simple like a hot dog. Same for sides. But only few exceptions for items that are 100% going to be wasted, because I dont believe in forcing a kid to eat what they absolutely dont like ( i STILL have people trying to tell me i do in fact like pork, even though I never have, and will spit it out right away.). I know a bit contradictory, I guess what I’m saying is try to make things you know you’re whole family will like, and enforce it.

Just let him eat the corn dogs my daughter is an extremely picky eater last week she finally ate soup for the first time and shes going to be 7 dont worry he will get through the phase and start eating more i give her vitamins and sometimes breakfast essentials it has what they need for the day in it stay strong stay strong

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:…when he gets hungry enough he’ll eat whatever you give him!..you’re the parent. :blush:

Why your children want what they want because you’re so used to giving in to them… eventually they will get hungry and you’ll try new things.
I can’t believe it’s all this child wants his corn dogs whose fault is that!

Every once in a while mine will try to go on strike on only eat a particular food or two. He learns real quick that he’ll go hungry. I give him kid friendly foods, but I refuse to let my child dictate what goes on in my home. I’m the adult. Eating too many processed foods isn’t good for him. He needs fruits, vegetables, lean proteins…an array of vitamins and minerals that simply aren’t in dang hot dogs.

4 Likes

Don’t give him anything else. Eventually he will start eating. My kids have gone through that and when they get hungry enough they eat what I give them. No snacks, no juices or anything else. They only get snacks when they eat what you gave them to eat. They will quickly catch on. I have 4 kids and they all eats all kinds of fruits and veggies. My youngest is picky about meat but he will still eat it. You just have to keep offering and cut out all the other stuff

3 Likes

Let him eat corn dogs.

1 Like