Tips for social anxiety?

Anyone in here suffer from social anxiety? What helps you? I didn’t know I had it until I looked up how I feel when I’m out in public, or anywhere honestly except for being home. It suck’s, I’ll cancel plans, not go to birthday parties, can’t even go to the store alone. Or if someone goes with me I still have anxiety but not so much, if I do go alone I’m in my car for 15-20 minutes contemplating about going in or just going home

30 Likes

Im the same way. I dont like to drive stores I dont do. As I got older it got worse.:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Im sorry your going through this. I wish I had some advice to give you but unfortunately I dont. You just described my daily struggle.

Go on a SSRI anti depressant for anxiety… Helped my anxiety 100%

Commenting on this to read responses later. I have social anxiety and don’t leave my apartment for weeks on end. The only time I leave is if someone is with me and that’s doesn’t even help honestly. I’ve isolated myself so much that I can’t do normal things like normal people. I don’t even answer the door i just pretend that no one is home and hope they go away. I know how you feel it’s really lonely and depressing to be this way.

Therapy and anti-anxiety meds

3 Likes

I was like that until i was “alone” for 13 yrs. Life forces us to get over shit cause aint nobody else gonna help you, but you!

4 Likes

Try some CBD oil…

Before I even considered Zoloft, I just made myself go into that store or wherever new, sometimes I went home… My anxiety affects my balance and breathing (I have fainted from it)…I just suffered and pushed through but finally I went on a low dose of Zoloft an I felt so much better, not having to worry about worrying …‘amazing’ I’m off Zoloft now, and idk if it’s being pregnant but I don’t give in to the anixety like I used to b.c I know me and my future daughter will be going to alot of stores and new places…Who knows what will happen later on in life but being open about my anxiety with myself an others ( even if they don’t understand) and talking to my doctor’s helped SO much.
Best of luck!

It’s paralyzing!! And mine got worse when my BFF moved away. I don’t have any friends to go do things with so it makes me isolate more. It’s a conscious effort to go to a store, work.

It affects everything I do

Agoraphobia I have & I use medical cannabis

1 Like

I’m the same way except I force myself to go to stores etc… I literally run through the store & never look anyone in the eye. Lol! In & out. I dread conversation even with my closest friends! The ONLY person I don’t get nervous with and I can be my 100% authentic self with is my mother. She’s 66 years young & my best friend! I fear conversations with people…so much so my brain literally shuts down, my vocabulary is limited & I cannot hold a conversation… like I have nothing to say even to keep it going. Then I get anxious knowing I can’t think of how to reply or talk & I shut down. I had viral meningitis in 2003. I was diagnosed with a brain injury, one side of my brain is slower than the other so I do put some of my vocabulary limitations on that but I was NEVER this way before the VM. I was outgoing, danced at the clubs with my friends…center stage etc. Now Im so scared of crowds & my self confidence is shook that I forgot how to dance! I went from being asked how I learned to dance the way I did to having 2 left feet!!! I danced my whole life & I hate myself now because of all this. It makes me depressed. I so much want to be one way but it’s like my body gets stiff & my brain shuts down. I’m in my own little cocoon! If anyone knows of anything, medication… anything please share… this is disabling & hardly no one understands. They say oh I get nervous too but I’m like ahhhh no. You apparently don’t truly get it. It’s a scary world when you live with SA!!! It’s not just shyness it’s disabling! :cry:

1 Like

I used to have it really bad. I missed out on spending time with my family that I wish I could get back. Seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety meds plus ongoing therapy is what works for me. I still struggle to keep plans and can only stay out until I get a feeling that I HAVE to go home. But life is much better. I’m able to go out and enjoy myself without panic attacks.

It’s debilitating altogether. As I get older it’s gotten worse. I used to be the life and soul now I’m just an empty shell of the person I used to be. Your not on your own xx I try to shop at hours when I know it will be quieter. It’s so hard to put on a brave face when you would rather be at home under the duvet. Sending virtual hugs your way :heart:

I have Social Anxiety Disorder. I’ve been in the house now for a week without leaving. This time of the year is miserable for me. Lots of people doing their holiday shopping. Thank goodness for the internet

It really sucks when you have hyper hydrosis on top of it. The more u have anxiety, the more u sweat. Then you get self conscience about smelling, which causes anxiety which causes more sweating. Oh and then there’s being a sahm and being forced to go to the store bc its part of your errands. And then there’s the problem of not being about to start or hold a conversation which makes things awkward which makes u sweat. See the cycle?! That’s my life. And not even anywhere near done compared to everything else i deal with

1 Like

Honestly, what helped me was smoking weed. I tried many meds from my dr and nothing helped buta couple puffs of high cbd strains did wonders.

5 Likes

I have it aweful even worse now that I’m 3 months PP. I panic aweful going anywhere. I refuse to go alone. I cant even do phone calls. I now panic over germs and my baby getting sick. I have panic attacks when I take him out. I’m no help on how to cope because I’m working on mine but just wanted you to know you’re not alone. Best of Luck.

Try reminding yourself that you’re not alone and there’s other people that feel the same as you

2 Likes

I just recently talked to my doctor about anxiety/depression meds. Meds aren’t always the answer for everything, but I’m hoping they will take the edge off. Being out in public can feel overwhelming! You aren’t alone here!!

Medical cannabis cbd

2 Likes

I have it. It’s really turned me into a hermit. Never used to be this way until after I had kids and became a stay at home mom. Over the years it’s gotten worse and it’s to the point where even making phone calls for like dr appointments or anything is such a horrible task, I’ll put it off until I absolutely can’t anymore. I currently suffer with it and don’t really have great advice but most of the time it’s just forcing yourself to do it and then recuperating after. When I get home from an outing of any kind, I usually have to have a little alone time when I get home to relax myself. It’s such a debilitating disorder but trust me you’re not alone :heart:

1 Like

I have to push myself. I joined a local curling club to put myself out there and even then I find myself thinking I don’t want to go even though I have fun. So I make myself go and I do have fun. If I think about it too much it gets harder.

I suffer from that also, I’ll accept invites but when the event comes up I start thinking about all the reasons I shouldnt go. Im somewhat shy to begin with so going out socially to a party and mingling just doesn’t work for me. I realize I am missing out so much in life but Im more comfortable at home

1 Like

I try to always have someome with me an focus on them whether my child or an adult. I try to breathe befor going in like deep breathing or grounding myself. I always make a list and try focusing on that, knowing where everything is and being as quick as possible. I also try to avoid running into people i may know. At gatherings I isolate myself and focus on just scrolling through my phone even though i dont look at it half the time or I bring a fidget cube and focus on that.

I also have this problem. It is very difficult for me some days. There are some things I have to push through because of my kids but even then I don’t want to be noticed.

1 Like

My meds help me it took time to finally take them right but it never goes completely away. You’re not alone. :purple_heart:

1 Like

I’ve been on paxil now for 2 yrs…works really well for me…

I have it and tried every drug out there and nothing helped. I finally went to a psychiatrist that put me on gabapentin and it has been a life saver for me! It takes a while to start working, but I can now function as a normal person! No more panic attacks!!

My best friend has always had social anxiety! We’ve been friends for 23 years and she has always said it helps to have a person who is outgoing and always on the move!! I got her to go to the aquarium with me last week for my birthday!! Though she has gotten worse since having a kid but she tries so hard!! Good luck to you!!

Yup, it sucks. You have to push thru.

1 Like

Meeeeee. Super bad too. Had to start taking celexa and that’s helped. Now I just tell myself “everyone is stupid. You’ll probably never see these people again anyway” and that helps :frowning:

1 Like

I have it but not as bad as when I was in the abusive relationship I was in. I can now go to stores by myself just doctors still are a bit hard for me to do

Just breathe
Take long relaxing breaths. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but it is worth a try.

The only thing that helped me was doing the school run , I would throw up every morning before taking my son to school and after, now it just need to take some deep breaths

It’s terrible. I deal with it daily anxiety and panic attacks. Breathing is good but honestly meds saved my life. When I was first diagnosed I didn’t leave my house for a week.

My husband and I both have it as well and in our younger years we had no idea what it was we would just cancel, argue and fight and bicker the whole time leading up to the event, find excuses not to go or do things and my God when you did go the way you feel around other ppl😳 But we have both been in intense counseling for over 5 years now and been learning a lot about our issues and ourselves and that truly does help you be able to deal with it better once you understand it. Also, this past year we have just been pushing ourselves more and more and just doing different things we have never experienced before and we help push each other through it. We noticed that once we got past the getting there and feeling awkward part we almost always had a really good time! And of course the kids always love it, we’re making memories as a family and most importantly we don’t want to model unhealthy behaviors for them and be teaching them things that will make their lives harder. But it has definitely been getting easier for both of us the more we’re doing!

My boyfriend has it. He doesn’t go anywhere by himself usually but if we are going somewhere that is new to him and I have been before, I try to give him an idea of the crowds. If he knows ahead of time he can mentally prepare. Sometimes in a store it’s too busy so he waits for me outside. He pushes himself but he’s learned his limits. If I have a day of errands we come home and take a break in between and avoids peak hours of stores. If we go grocery shopping he has the cart and loads and unloads it, it helps him to have something else to focus on . And marijuana helps.

I wear essential oils and that seems to help me.

I suffer from social anxiety, I was on zoloft for years and it worked for me but killed my sex drive,I went off of it 3 years ago and the passion hasnt returned. I try to tell myself that I can’t control other people and their actions,you have to train tour brain

Pop an ativan. It won’t cure your anxiety, but you won’t care about it anymore. lol

Find your purpose before you go out and stick to it if overwhelmed, and start with small tasks. Like 10 mins at a party to stop in to be kind but can’t stay due to prior commitment, or 4 items from the store then leave if crowded. Smaller doses of crowds and keeping my task forefront in my mind helps me through.

1 Like

Exposure.
On days you feel that you can handle more, push yourself to even if the anxiety says no. Start with situations you can control and move to maybe situations with people your comfy with, and work your way into things like grocery stores and general chit chat; a situation you cant control the outcome.

I’ve found that personally, my anxiety comes from the anticipation of the event. The anxiety that goes with preparing for the event is what held me back. Then I’d be so anxious I’d lash out in frustration, sick with dread over the thought…then I do it and when I’m done and there…its a sigh of relief because it’s wasnt anything as bad as my anxiety told me it was.
Anxiety is a liar. If you come up with some idea while you’re feeling anxious, and feel yourself start to lose control over it, find an activity even if you dont want to do it because in about 10 minutes, our minds rationalize the situation vs the raw emotion in the moment.

Oh and take deep breaths and get some sunshine.

Sometimes anxiety comes from the anticipation of the act. Push through but dont over do it of course. Maybe learn some mental tricks for anxiety. More helpful than youd think.

Meeeeee! I got so bad that I was put on Lexapro. And it does help me…a lot! Counseling and coping skills work wonders. We do the breathing technique where you slow down your breathing… The easiest way to learn what it feels like is to close one nostril and breathe in them out. We also do muscle tension exercises… You start at the bottom or top of your body and tense up every muscle for like 5 seconds then relax. I do my toes, then feet, then calves… Etc by time I get to my booty I am usually much calmer. Hope some of this helps you. It sucks but it can get better.

I’ve been put on medication for this, it still dosnt help :pensive: Following this post to hopefully get some tips !

Deep breathing when feel stress building. Positive thought always! Keep reminding yourself “I can do this, I am strong, I am awesome”
Also if you have kids remember you are their role model and you want the best for them, show them how strong you are so they can be too!