Tips on breastfeeding with pierced nipples?

Hi, i would just like some tips and tricks to breast feeding and expressing with pierced nipples. This is my second pregnancy but first first with pierced nipples so I’m not sure what I should do or look out for. Thank you

1 Like

shrug I just removed them, kept them out for the duration I was breastfeeding. It was a little uncomfortable to put them back in, but they didnt close up.

1 Like

Take them out :woman_shrugging:t3: I feel like if you’re set on breast feeding, that should be the priority, not your piercing

1 Like

That’s easy. Take it out. It’s about what’s right for the baby. Put a piece of metal on a straw and then try to drink a thick milkshake through the straw. I bet you could figure it out, but it wouldn’t be easy or pleasant. Breastfeeding can be hard enough without adding stress to it for your baby.

18 Likes

Take them out and put back in when you’re done breastfeeding

11 Likes

I took mine out as its a big worry about hurting their mouth and you don’t really want to pump with them in as could rip it out. Also teething and piercings arent going to be safe

1 Like

My only issue was extra leaking. Make sure you have bra pads and watch your LO. I flooded him a few times.

Take out the piercing…pretty easy

1 Like

I took mine out about a month before my due date and I’ll just get them redone when we’re done bf…

The piercing isn’t good for your baby to be sucking on due to bacteria etc. It’s not very safe especially if a ball gets loose and sucked up

13 Likes

Umm remove them lol

7 Likes

Following, but is there any advice on not taking them out all together? Like did any one take them out and put them back in after pumping or feeding??

2 Likes

Pretty sure she asked for advice and not you judging her. All of you could have answered without being rude but you feel like you have that right for some reason. How about being nice to someone for once

22 Likes

Take them out :woman_facepalming:t3:
Not only can it cause a lot of irritation to your nipples, piercings can hold a lot of bacteria and the jewelry is actually a choking hazard for the baby. I took mine out when I was pregnant because of swelling, I would never have tried to Breast feed with them in.

7 Likes

Take out the jewelry, clean your nipple, breastfed & put it back in. Then clean once back in place.
You don’t want the motion of breastfeeding to loosen the balls. Chocking risk & the bacteria from the jewelry is a issue too.

Its completely recommended to take them out during feeding… any part of the jewelry could come off at anytime and cause a choking hazard. You can remove and put back in between each feeding or leave them out, either way is your choice. But the actual ring should never be in the littles mouth and a pump could cause damage.

7 Likes

Unfortunately you’ll have to take the piercing/s out during your breastfeeding journey as it will be a choking risk to your baby. You can however remove them when baby needs feeding then put them back in after but that’s more hassle.

2 Likes

Haha take them out, I had the same situation. You’ll have breast milk coming out the piercing holes as well.

Take them out. Then i just had extra milk leaking from extra holes was all. Lol

I personally would take them out as it could be a HUGE choking hazard if one of them gets loose.

1 Like

The safety of your child should be top priority…what if one of the balls comes off while nursing :woman_shrugging:t3: not worth the risk

She didn’t ask for y’alls opinion on anything lmao. She asked for tips and tricks!! Not judgement!
My advice, just keep an extra eye on the baby momma and make sure you keep them clean and extra tight and everything should be normal!

3 Likes

Took mine out both times, but one closed up. It’s better to just remove them all together

2 Likes

I had mine pierced before my first. Told myself I would take them out to feed and then just put them back in. HA :laughing: your nipples are so friggen sore for the first few days the LAST thing you will want to do is stick anything threw them. You can’t keep them in when you nurse, it’s a choking hazard to the baby, and you feed so often it would be a massive pain in the ass to keep doing it over and over, and that’s if they don’t close up during the sore nips phase.
It will also give the milk extra holes to come out of, so if you have a strong let down it could overwhelm your baby at first but they will get used to it, mine did lol
BUT if you have the patience and tolerance to keep taking them out and putting them back in, more power to you mama!

Honestly, that fact that you are attempting it is great.

Poor lady just asked for tips instead she had to

6 Likes

I’ve never had nipple piercings while breastfeeding…I’m just flat out curious…but could you use a nipple guard if they cannot be removed?

4 Likes

you could probably put a plastic retainer in!, im pretty sure you can get them off amazon… this way you can keep the piercing hole open <3

I took mine out! I miss them :weary::weary:

The only way would be to take them out and replace them after each feeding. It’ll be a pain but definitely can be done. Just make sure they are clean when you place them back in everytime

1 Like

Sadly the only answer is to remove them for every feeding or for the duration of your breastfeeding journey. They would be a huge choking hazard for baby.

7 Likes

I took mine out a Couple years before breastfeeding so I apologize if my advice isn’t helpful but all u need to do is take your jewelry out and make sure u have clean nipples. There’s no special things to do.
The only issue I’ve ever heard of is the extra holes causing the milk to come out too fast for the baby but they adjust to that in no time!

Take them out, choking hazard for your baby

6 Likes

What a bunch of bitches lol :joy:

my ob told me i need to remove mine before delivery if i planned on breastfeeding because it’ll interfere with a good latch.

1 Like

It’s a choking hazard you’ll have to remove them for feedings

1 Like

Take it out I’d be more concerned about it becoming a choking hazard if it became loose :roll_eyes:

The only reason I stay in this group is because sometimes I like to see how damn BITCHY some of y’all get.

Like, calm tf down, shit.

I don’t have mine done but I read up on it and it just gives more flow when your baby is eating. And to take out the stud so it doesn’t come off and baby chokes

1 Like

Obviously just take them out? Not only is it a choking hazard but why should a baby have to suck on metal while feeding? It’s just common sense🤷🏼‍♀️ I took mine out when I was 6 weeks and haven’t looked back.

1 Like

Wouldn’t she just be able to pump? I kno its not the same as bonding with ur baby though

I have mine done! And breast feeding with my son was hard and some times painful but we did it and he was on breast until he was almost 2! So its totally possible.
Dont get frustrated! Or stressed over it drink lots of water and I found even doing skin to skin when my baby was not feeding really helped good luck mamma :purple_heart:

1 Like

Girl how do you survive the whole pregnancy with them pierced to begin with?? I had to take mine out because how fast my boobs got they were so painful and im not even through the first trimester! :joy:

Take them out when feeding

I only have 1 pierced and I will tell you the milk does come out faster from that side. Once you are done breastfeeding completely, you should be able to put the ring back in. So no need to keep taking them in and out. My holes never closed.

Either remove or pump and feed from a bottle…

I had to take em out and re pierce them

I took take mine out, very big choking hazard, I just got them re pierced after I was done breast feeding, babies health is way more important than the piercings

I took mine out while pregnant and they closed. I am planning to re-pierce once I’m done breastfeeding

As others have said I also took mine out until breastfeeding was done. It made things much easier…awkward enough getting caught on a shower scrunchie let alone dealing with a latch obstruction or a medela in full suction mode :flushed: x

I have pierced nipples as well. And there are plastic pieces you can get that you can just slide in and out before and after feeding and/or pumping. I asked my OBGYN, and she said they were fine staying in the whole pregnancy and even afterwards. Just take care of any infection that may arise.

I have pierced nipples, I would change to a shorter bar if you don’t have one right now. And along with getting a shorter bar get a softer material you’d be amazed at the options you have.

If you’re serious about wanting to breastfeed then you should take them out. You can always have them done again after you breastfeed if you can’t get your ring or bar back in. Those definitely pose a risk to a feeding baby.

11 Likes

Youre supposed to take them out to breastfeed because the piercing could come undone whie baby is feeding and they could swallow it. You can get them redone after. Thats why im waiting until im done having kids to get mind done if i decide to.

3 Likes

Take out until baby starts teething then you can put back in to give baby something to chew!

4 Likes

You should probably take them out for the comfort of the baby

5 Likes

Mine have been done 22 years. My youngest is five and I just took them out for a year.

I would think to take them out. You don’t want your baby choking on them.

4 Likes

I had pierced also, yea take them out when you breastfeed.

3 Likes

I would take them off for now. Not safe for baby

3 Likes

Why is this question on I love my husband?

3 Likes

I can’t believe this isn’t even a question that needs to be answered.
Who let you have kids?

3 Likes

Stupid is as stupid does

I breast fed four kids for short times, I never had my nipples pierced but I am guessing that isn’t safe for while baby is feeding because they could choke if it were to come undone please for comfort of feeding for baby…

2 Likes

The piercings will mess with latch and will mess with pump. What if baby swallows the bar or hoop? What if baby rips away quickly with a good latch and rips the piercing out? Take them out. They will not heal up, I can still stick mine through and I haven’t worn mine in years.

1 Like

Nursing with nipple piercings I don’t see going pleasant. Normally you end of with blebs, cracked nipples, babes biting, teeth, leaking, mastitis, clogged ducts. I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

You’d have to take piercings out to feed the baby if you want him/her latched on and you’d have to take them out to pump so that clean breastmilk doesn’t get any metal/lead taste. It wouldn’t be good for the baby😕

1 Like

You need to take it out for feeds, also, it will make the flow faster. My mum had her nipple pierced and the milk would come out in three directions.

Take them out of course. But I’ve heard lots of pierced moms say it made flow stronger, since theres more holes lol. Otherwise itll be just fine.

4 Likes

Take them out if you want to breastfeed the baby would be more comfortable

1 Like

Ouch. Take them out and repierce after for sure :ok_hand: I did this with all 3 of my kids.

I had to take my piercing out to feed as not really safe for baby x

1 Like

Take them out. It’ll make the baby sick

If u dont want to remove piercings give baby bottle🙄

Also having them done they wouldn’t be able to get alot of milk out due to not latching properly

I took mine out. It’s been 6 months and haven’t tried to put them back in yet. But out of all 4 of my babies he’s the only one who hasn’t latched. :woman_shrugging:t2: