Tips on cleaning my daughters favortie stuffed animal?

My 19 month old Daughter has a stuffy that goes everywhere with her, we realized he smells horrible. We have tried washing him a few times and we can’t do anything over night as she won’t sleep with out him. What else can work?

8 Likes

I just stick my kids stuffed animals in the washing machine

6 Likes

…buy an identical one!

1 Like

Soak in baking soda and water

If washing it doesn’t take care of the problem then throw it out and buy a new one.

1 Like

Hot water to dissolve it

Dawn dish soap works well. Soak it a bit in warm water with lots of soap. Rinse it well and hang dry.

Lysol disinfectant spray… Or “accidentally” let him fall in the bath or kitchen sink then deal with a crying baby for 30 min while it’s in the dryer… 🤷

2 Likes

Vinegar in the wash.

2 Likes

I just washed a 20yr old clifford in the washer. He did ok.

Soak it in baking soda for a few hours Then wash like normal Maybe that’ll help with the smell

1 Like

Tie it in a pillowcase and Wash with white vinegar

3 Likes

I put really smelly things in the washing machine and add in baking soda in with the normal soap

1 Like

I wash my son’s turtle blankey from Carter’s in the washing machine with Gain and it smells great… His gets stinky too because he sleeps with it and drools on it

I wash my daughters in the bath with dawn soap and then shampoo. Super SUPER hot water. I would say let it soak in the hot water and dawn for like 15 minutes… use a new kitchen dish brush to really clean the fur… rinse. Squeeze the soap out. Shampoo with a great smelling shampoo. Then wring it dry. I basically shake it like a psycho outside. And then I put it in the dryer on low heat.

Washing machine and baking soda and vinegar

Let her give it a bath…

2 Likes

Do it first thing in the morning

Try some oxiclean and baking soda.

My daughter has a stuffed dog she brings everywhere with her that is filthy as well. I wait until she leaves it laying around when she’s playing and snatch it up. Sometimes I let her watch it while it’s in the wash but most of the time she screams and cries about it lol so I just pretend I’m helping her look for it. Once it’s done in the wash I wait until she’s distracted and tell her I found it

1 Like

We have a scented spray called soaks. Works wonders!!! Everything is human/pet friendly. You can order it using this link:

Pink Zebra

Try washing again with vinegar

Vinager and dawn dishsoap mixed together. Soak f ou r a while and then rinse and dry. Vinager gets rid of any smell and once dry the vinager smell will go away

Vinegar and laundry detergent. Let it soak.

I put my daughters stuffed animals she packs around in the bath with her every so often to clean them :woman_facepalming: only way it’ll happen and then show her they have to dry and she’ll let them stay there for a minute lol

1 Like

Take it when she falls asleep.

If the bear is still sold in stores and nothing works, just replace it without her knowing.

Sneak it out when she falls asleep. You don’t say what it’s made of so I don’t know how to clean it.

Put it in a pillowcase and tie the end with a hairtie so the stuffed animal doesn’t fall out. Gentle wash, cold water, dont put in the dryer.

2 Likes

A friend of mine buys identical stuffies.

1 Like

Odo-ban! We use it as a spray and have also dumped it in the washing machine with our regular detergent!

So, I would treat it like stripping a cloth diaper. Different materials respond to different pH levels but still, both types of materials smell awful. Like a cloth diaper (needs to get micro build up stripped every 6-12 months) I would start with a vinegar soak- room temperature, straight white cooking vinegar ~45 mins, use something to keep submerged. Swish every so often and rinse well. Then do a baking soda soak, I use 1 to 2 cups baking soda depending on level of water… I also buy baking soda in bulk… ~45 mins, swish every so often, rinse well, run through regular wash

1 Like

Wash him first thing in the morning with some oxi clean. It wont hurt any colors and some good detergent and low heat dry

1 Like

I would try hydrogen peroxide before vinegar i worry about the smell of vinegar lingering…

1 Like

Following! O usually just throw them away :flushed::flushed:

A man who owns a dry cleaner once told me that for things they can’t actually put in their washers, they spray the amber colored mouth wash on them. Like school mascot heads and things like that. There’s something in it specifically that takes order out and then obviously it’s super sanitizing as well. Smell will be strong for a few hours and then fade. I’ve done this on some of my daughters things that can’t be washed…such as her Chewbacca Build A Bear that has a sound box in the paw. And that things gets yucky

1 Like

Oh no. I always had 2 identical lovies so I could wash one and trade out as need be

Ive bought multiples of my sons & daughters favourite toys, my sons used to smell so bad as well. To get the smell out, I had to soak them in hot water in a bucket with maybe 3 capfuls of bleach. Then go a regular wash. With the regular wash I would use the oxyclean spray on the dark spots and just keep washing regularly & the smell hasn’t come back!

, ,z,z, zdx, Zaza, , xxx x xxxxxxzzxz. Xxz xxx. X. Xxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxx xxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxzxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx’xx xxxx’xx xxxxx x xxxxxxxx zdx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Xxxxx xss,x,xxxx’, Zaza,z

Try adding about half cup baking soda to washer. If that doesn’t work , maby try replacing it with an exact duplicate and see if she will except it.

Weird trick I found that works is putting Mr clean with the gain scents in with clothes.its usually for floors but my bf used to work in a sawmill and his clothes always came out smelling wonderful instead of like sawdust

vinegar and baking soda.

When my son was young I went online and bought the exact same one, he had 2 ‘babies’ but didn’t know it. I’d swap them out and wash them.

1 Like

My sister had blanket when we were kids, as a matter of fact, she still does. It was a corner cut from a comforter and had fuzz/fluff underneath the part with design. It seemed to me like it would be itchy but she loved it. It was obviously too big to carry the entire thing so that’s why my mom cut a piece off. She would run it through her fingers and rub it on her nose. She called it her “uck.” After traveling everywhere with us, the thing started to stink. I’m 8 years older so I was maybe 16 years old and decided to wash it. BIG MISTAKE!!! It was fresh out of the dryer and she thought it stunk! She had to deal with it. A week went by and it picked up the smell that she was used to. Thank goodness it started out as entire comforter because she’s 29 and still goes home to cut pieces off it. Haha.

1 Like

My son has a blanket that goes every where with him even to daycare. he use to not let anybody wash it but now we just take it and he is fine with it. Like it cleaned and messing good

Tip- ALWAYS have another stuffed animal/blankie on hand! ALWAYS!!! Cuz you just never know… I have 2 teddy bears for my daughter that I switch out constantly cuz the fur on it is so delicate n gets dirty so fast

2 Likes

Let her fall asleep with it and then take it, replace it with some, wash then return before she notices. Or make a fun game about it needing a bath

Just wash it during the day, my son has a blanket that is his life and I just pop it in the washer. While he eats his fav snack and watch his fav cartoon. I put it on speed wash.

Have her “help” you and pick out a “sister/brother” to keep her company while it washes but remember to put it in a pillow case to keep the stuffing in while it drys.

1 Like

Put it in a laundry bag wash on delicate and hang dry over heater vent or fire place then use your hand to fluff :relaxed:

Switch it out while she’s asleep and wash it , dry it and put it back with her and she will never know .

You can wait for her to fall asleep and then sneak it away and wash it.

Wash it put a lil bleach and those smell good beads while she takes a nap

Wash it with white vinegar. It will take smells out of just about anything. Learned that from my laundromat attendant.

Have her help you put it in the washer to take a bath…

1 Like

Add Baking soda to the wash. Or dust the stuff is with baking soda and let it sit out in the sun for a day and then wash

Wash while she has brekky

If you can buy a second one so she can rotate it

1 Like

Baking soda brush and brush

Just stick in during the day.

Have you added vinegar/baking soda to the wash and letting it soak for a bit? My son is 10 and still has his baby stuffy. It’s gotten funky more than a few times and this always works for us!

1 Like

Gentle cycle with dawn dish soap and half cup of vinegar.

1 Like

not trying to be rude or anything like that ,
but put it in the washing machine. lol if it stinks WASH IT. :joy::sob: i’m sure she will be fine if you put it on a speed wash then put it in drier.

2 Likes

Can you get another one just like it and swap them out? We had to do that for my son with a little doggy blanket he is obsessed with

2 Likes

Vinegar in the wash along with detergent

3 Likes

A day out in sunlight. It takes out an amazing amount of smell

3 Likes

Clorox anywhere spray, it’s color and stuffed animal safe.

1 Like

Not wash it during the day? I do it before we go out and then dry when home…

Wash with baking soda. It is amazing

3 Likes

Wash it in the morning

17 year old, still loves and sleeps w her stuffed cat. I stopped washing it years ago, told her she’s on her own. Caught her the other day waking up and smelling/kissing it. It’s a thing. It’s okay. They love their comfort things.

1 Like

Put it in washer with non chlorine bleach. I wash my dogs stuffies this way. :slight_smile:

Machine wash with lysol laundry sanitizer liquid

6 Likes

Throw him in washer at bath time quick cycle?

1 Like

My son has a stuffed bunny he calls baby he brings it EVERYWHERE sleeps with it it gets stinky so we tell him we have to give baby a bath cuz he is stinky my son fights us for it but if it smells it needs to be washed especially if they bring it everywhere an sleep with it. Try doing it while your child is playing an don’t have their attention on the stuffy

1 Like

give it a bath in the sink with some vinegar water and make “bubbles” with baking soda, then set him outside to dry off in the sun.

2 Likes

I swear by baking soda and vinegar. They both are great deodorizers!

1 Like

We sell a spray called Soaks. Works wonders!!! Everything is human and pet friendly. They come in many different scents. You can purchase it using this link:

2 Likes

We have two of each of my kids comfort stuffies. It started more as a just in case we lose it, but it definitely became a so we can wash the smelly thing reason :joy: but in all honesty, you’ll survive two shitty hours of separation twice a month. Just try and distract her with something special that she only gets during that time to keep her preoccupied

2 Likes

Put regular vinegar in with it when you wash it.

1 Like

I had to wait until my oldest nephew was completely asleep before I could wash his favorite blanket

Wash with laundry sanitzer

Ive had the same stuffed animal since the day i was born and im 32…i would have my mom or dad wash it and when i was old enough i would wash it myself lol…usually gets the smell out…or you could probably wait till she falls asleep and replace it with another stuff animal and wash it while shes sleeping and then place it back in her arms when its clean

Wash it as soon as she wakes up. Heavy load. Throw a towel in with it. I use little extra soap and little bleach when I wash my kids (never had bleach spots and they smell amazing when they come out)

1 Like

Wash with vinegar in the washing machine. Then wash with water only to fully rinse. Then wash with regular laundry detergent.

My neighbor gave me garbage bags full of clothes when she found out I was having a girl and they smoke in the house so everything REAKED of cigarettes. Vinegar took it out no problem.

1 Like

Wash it in a pillow case tied up my grandma used to do that

1 Like

Baking soda let it soak in baking soda and water for 15-20mins then wash regular

I wash my granddaughters baby doll in washer with oxiclean on gentle cycle.It comes out looking brand new.

Put in vinegar/dish soap mixed, let sit for half the day then wash in the washing machine

It was the only way to get out the smell from my daughter’s stuffed horse.

Soak in hot water with vinegar and baking soda.

Dish soap (Dawn preferably) in the washer with your detergent. Maybe try soaking it?

1 Like

Use baking soda or vinegar in your wash. I usually use vinegar and it definitely works

2 Likes

Oxy Odor Blaster @ Walmart. My son carries a stuffy of mine that is over 30 years. This works like a charm!

I put mine in a pillowcase and take a hair tie to close it off. Put it in the washer with Clorox 2 (color safe bleach) I also use like the Gain scent beads and wash it with a good detergent. Tumble dry in dryer inside the pillowcase.

1 Like

Try oxiclean and hydrogen peroxide? Soak it for a good half day then wash it and tumblr delicate dry

I’d tell him that Stuffy has to gone to see his Mum, cause she’s missing him, and he and hasn’t seen her for a long time.Then throw Stuffy into the washing machine with a gallon of disinfectan. Stuffy is probably has all sorts of bugs in his fur, and most unhygienic, and needs to visit his Mum on a weekly basis…

Wash toy with Vinegar and hot water cycle.

Lysol laundry sanitizer!

1 Like

Soak in cold water in the sink with a mixture of oxi clean powder, some Lysol laundry sanitizer (kills germs/helps odors). It’ll help with dirt, odors, and stains. Then rinse and I usually place it in towels and wring out the water and not do the dryer because it would t do well. If it’s warm where you live put it in the sun to dry.