Tips on dealing with RSV?

Mamas whos little ones have gone through rsv, any tips? My son is 10 months old and we are currently going through it right now. I took him in last night because he had a 101 temp but when we were there they said because it’s viral it just has to work its course, and we can alternate tylenol and motrin. Any tips on how to keep him comfortable? I have a hard time getting him to drink water or juice, so any tips on extra hydration would be great too. Thank you!

6 Likes

Definitely a humidifier it helped my 10mo old tremendously and on the days he would drink/eat alot I had to syringe feed him which he happily accepted it just took a lot longer for each feeding but was worth it

Pedialyte, humidifier, and an albuterol treatment is what they had me do with my little when he was tiny. We sat up in the recliner for 15 hours just so he could sit up and get good sleep.

Use humidifier, saline mist to suction his nose, watch for breathing difficulties , they can give steroids if it gets bad.

Might be able to breath better if it’s in a cup. Old enough.

Did the dr give you a nebulizer? If not ask for a script for one. It will be your best friend

1 Like

I’ve had 2 kids in the hospital with RSV. One at 2 one at 5 weeks. I had to give floods by syringe at one point.
Sit in the bathroom with hot water running to create steam
Humidifier
Nebulizer
I can’t remember the age you can start giving 2.5 ml of zyrtec
Let them sleep on you or prop up the crib mattress
Boogie bulb and saline solution in the nose

Mine had it at 5m it was so hard. I slept with him sat up on me on couch, took him for a walk for fresh air, he wouldn’t keep milk down, I had to let him keep throwing up and keep feeding him to prevent dehydration, saline spray nose, Vicks rub, calpol (I’m in uk), cool baths, lots of love and cuddles. He’s 7month now & he’s still got phlegm on his chest & still vomits twice a day from milk.

Really push the breast milk or formula, those will be the best ways to keep your baby hydrated. If he’s not drinking enough you can use a medicine dropper and give him breast milk or formula by dropper every few minutes to keep up his fluid intake

1 Like

Fluids through a syringe every 10 minutes. Humidifier. Lots of warm baths and lotion

Humidifier, breathing treatments with albuterol, pedialyte popsicles. My little one got worse when she laid down, some nights were spent in the recliner so she could stay upright.