Tips on starting a daycare?

Does anyone run a daycare/babysit out of their home? Any tips? How much do you charge per kid? I’m at SAHM and could use the extra income but I’m not sure where to start…

5 Likes

Please check into your state rules and regulations.

I’m my state it’s 5 not including your own, I have classes though so I can keep more than that. I have about 6 to 10 a day, I charge 25 a day. Definitely get first aid and CPR certified. I make more now than I did working and I can still do what i need to with my own kids

I’ve been curious myself as far as how many children your able to babysit before being certified.

It all depends on what state your in! You would need to look into state regulations.

my son goes to an in home daycare and she charged $30 per day and occasionally asks for lysol wipes or art supplies. we love it :heart:

Check your local and state laws on this. Each state has different guidelines on what would require you to have a license, certification(s) and be registered with the state.

There is a difference in babysitting and running a daycare.

As far as pricing, I would check online resources for childcare in your area and base your rate off of that, although you may want to offer a lower rate than average, if you’re not a licensed provider.

2 Likes

I THINK if you keep over 4 kids you have to have a business license. Don’t quote me on that. I used to babysit and would charge depending on age, needs, hours.

You can look up your state rules for how many children you can watch and any other rules. Decide also how many you can handle with the space you have and what ages. What hours would be best for you. As for charging it depends on the area. I charged $20 a day for 9 hours and $30 for the people that worked 12 hr shifts. Get cpr certified as well.

2 Likes

Over 4 kids you need to take the classes. This does not include your own children and some states don’t include blood relatives such as nieces and young siblings.

For my friends I do 25 per kid. They help provide snacks or run my errands on the way back to grab their kids.

Most cases for strangers people usually do 50 a day set wage or pick an hourly wage.

Mine we do normal babysitting, I don’t teach them anything special except what I normally would with my own kids.

If you actually plan activities, work books, ect you would base your pay off of how much your spending putting into projects and activities plus hours worked.

Since I babysit for friends I trust them to pay on their pay day. I would advise against this for strangers. Some people will promise to pay and day comes and you never see them, their kid, or your money again. I would atleast ask for half in advance if they can’t do full amount right away as down payment to make sure you don’t get stiffed.

If you make over 20k I believe you have to claim taxes

Research laws in your state. Different state different requirements. Might have to take classes you on safety/care/cpr/food over so many kids. As far as charging goes I charged 50 per day 6-8 hours a day) it included food/drinks and any activities/trips. $30 per day for newborns since diapers / wipes/ food provided.

1 Like

My 8 month old daughter goes to an in home daycare and we pay $180 a week which is about $35 a day and we bring diapers she provides everything else.