Tips on traveling with a 3-year-old?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Barcelona within the next year, and we are excited but a little apprehensive about taking our son, , who would be three at the time of the trip. Our son has never flown, and I’m not sure how he would take it, so one question would be, would it even be worth the risk-taking him? As he would still be too young to really remember anything and a 20hr flight is a lot to ask of anyone, let alone a toddler. Another question would be, what do you do with a high energy toddler on such a long flight? Does anyone else have any experience with this? Thank you in advance!

6 Likes

If leaving him home is an option, I would fully be doing that. I can’t even imagine my 3 yo being stuck on a plane that long :woozy_face:

1 Like

If you’ve an amazing babysitter/grandparent go enjoy romantic holiday

Snacks and a tablet. I dont like recommending screen time but you need to be considerate of other passengers. Set of good child friendly head phones, traveling coloring set and new (quiet) toys he hasn’t seen before that you can bust out when he is getting antsy.

Pack a bag/ backpack with toys, books, snacks, water, favorite animal or blanket to sleep with.

If you have any layovers make sure your child runs around.

You need a granny to go with im granny rose and im good with kids. Lol

6 Likes

DON’T DO IT!:rofl::rofl::rofl: I kid, partially :grin:

I wouldn’t take a 3 year old anywhere overseas. Lol.

1 Like

I would not take him if possible.

I personally would wait until he’s old enough to at least remember it before taking him on such a huge trip. But everyone is different-you do you! And I’m jealous!

The first time we flew, she was 4. It was a short flight, BUT I learned: bring a tablet and headphones. Keep it charged. Bring snacks (if you can), a large variety. Bring his car seat to ride in on the plane, he will be much more comfortable. Take him to the rest room, often, even if it’s just to stretch his legs. Try to plan the trip so mid flight will be the bulk of his sleeping. The first 2 hours will be exciting for him, but after that, he will get bored quick. Bring a bunch of new toys. I like to go to target’s dollar section or the dollar tree. Anything that TSA would allow. Wrap them in wrapping paper, and give him a new one every time you notice him needing something more stimulating. Practice the airplane! Read books, and watch shows about flying so he understands. Set up a mock airplane seating in the living room and show him where he would sit, where you would sit and pretend to be flying. It will make it more familiar so he doesn’t get nervous on the flight. Bring crayons and a coloring book, but I would choose shaped crayons so they dont roll off the tray as easily. And remember back up crayons in your purse for when he drops them :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Tips on traveling with a 3year old!??
:speaking_head: DON’T! :sob:

5 Likes

Can’t replace memories for yourself. Maybe he wont remember much, but you sure would. I would take my son no matter what.

1 Like

My son who is almost 4 has flown twice (2 and a 1/2 once and 3 1/2 once and he did very well both times. I brought a bunch of good books and a lunchbox that he filled with some of his favorire small toys both times. The last trip , he also enjoyed the games on the screen provided by Delta. I am thinking on that long flight, they will probably have complementary headphones and a decent selection of kids movies as well, if they charge for headphones it is usually a small fee. I hope you have a great trip.

Lots of toys, activities and snacks. Keep some new toys just for the trip. Sticker books are a good option and they don’t take up a lot of space. Extra portable chargers for tablet or phone for movies, kids headphones etc.

We just got back from Italy with my 1 and a half year old…bring LOTS OF SNACKS! You cannot have enough Haha and a sippy cup. They will fill the sippy cup up with whatever you want your kid to have. But for real…so many snacks Haha

1 Like

20 hours? Where are you flying from?! I flew many times 8+hours with babies and toddlers (Chicago to Ireland). I’ll tell you what our dr suggested: Benedryl!!..lol Chances are, the humming of the plane will lull him to sleep anyway but the benedryl won’t hurt :slight_smile: Snacks, sippy cup (even if he drinks out of regular cups, you don’t want spills), pull ups - even if he’s out of diapers, quiet toys, magnetic games, change of clothes for you as well as the baby. SOmething for him to chew on when the plane is taking off and landing - for his ears popping.

Just go out and have fun! Me and my boyfriend are trying to go to Cancun next December and we are not bringing our kids😂 we want to have a fun time if we are saving a lot of money and besides it would be better for the kids when they are older

I would never leave my kids :cry:

I flew to Europe with my 1.5 year old. It is VERY stressful, but I couldn’t imagine going without her. We were lucky and our flight over was night time so she slept most of the flight. Just take a lot of snacks & toys to keep him occupied.

I wouldn’t dare take my 3YO.

1 Like

Where are you flying from that it is 20hrs?! My kids all had passports and first international trips starting between 6weeks and 6months. We have traveled all over: Hawaii, Japan, Russia, Seychelles with home bases in US and EU. My kids have little to no technology until age 5 when they start to have language tutors weekly. Look into the VTech cameras… we invested in these and 5 years later they are still going strong. A few games, the ability to make movies, and any long flight should have built in TV’s. Flights are the one time I allow unlimited technology. When little magnent board, quiet books, etch sketch, and water painting books were my go to’s. Barcelona is a great city with kids. Dinner starts about 10 for families, so you won’t even need to time adjust that much! Bon voyage.

1 Like

Take lots of snacks, toys, and games he likes, noise canceling headphones are great also. we have family in Australia so I understand the long flight situations never pass up the opportunity to travel especially with your children even at that age he can have memories of the trip. Good luck try not to stress and have fun momma!!

Holy crap good luck :joy: get him sucked Into a screen is your best bet

Let him have his own backpack with snacks and small toys. Change of clothes small blankets any yes some melatonin or benedryl for help with sleeping. That’s probably a big time changer. I’ve always taken my kids on international vacation. You may want to take an umbrella stroller kids get tired and may even sleep. Tablet with videos stickers crayons put your snacks in the small zip lock snack size bags that way if the spill it’s not all of them.

I wouldn’t take him that far away at such a young age… especially if he isn’t used to travelling

1 Like

Take him definitely its a wonderful experience! Just bring some toys,books, anything to keep him occupied, he will sleep during the flight

If you have a trusted family member or family friend, I would leave him with them. That is much to long to travel. I myself have been there and the flight alone made me want to cry. Also, which I’m sure you may already know, but make sure you get up and walk around when seat belt light is off. You can develop a blood clot if you stay seated to long. Anyways, back to original topic. It is your choice as to what you do. But at three years old, between the flight, getting a passport, going through customs etc, that may be to much for such a wee one. Good luck to you in your journey!

2 Likes

I would safe if you have someone to leave. Him with I would take the trip with out him. Would be way more relaxing and cost less and he would not even enjoy it much either

I would leave him with grandparents if possible. They will love spending time with him and you will be able to enjoy your vacation

Get him a back pack fill it up with things to keep him occupied wrap it up as gifts and give him one every 30min or do depend on duration of flight let him pick the gift out of the bag and make a game of it before you now time has passed

1 Like

You could get him a tablet with headphones introduce it to him at home play games or find a video to watch take snacks for your toddler take a favorite toy a quiet toy maybe do short but rides in the car so he adjusts to sitting still for long time see if he might take a nap or how he asks for being confined to sitting still

A bag of to do things such as magnet boards, matchbox cars, iPad with movies, books, coloring books, and snacks

I agree with Amy Kienutske I would find a safe place for him.

1 Like

Great questions… interested on hearing on this.