Tips on working third shift?

Any 3rd shift moms here? I’m about to start a 3rd position from home and I just do not know what to expect. My daughter will be in school most days so I can sleep. She is 8. Any tips, tricks or advice welcome.

3 Likes

I worked 3rd shift for the last year and mentally it almost took me out and it cause me and my husband to have issues and I have a 4 yr old at home too so I was literally running on maybe 2 hours sleep each day , it easier for day shift that way you can be either family at night :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

My husband works 3rd and I think as long as you make a routine you’ll do fine. I would suggest sleeping an hour or so to nap before work and making that her bedtime (if it’s a decent time like 8-9pm) Definitely sleep while she’s in school that way you guys can still enjoy the day, dinner etc together.

Black out curtains, cut the caffeine halfway through work. I had trouble sleeping during the day. I would nap for about 2 hours before work when my husband went to bed. That was the only true rest I got.

I worked 3rd for 7yrs, body got use to 4 hrs of sleep, was good for us I was able to take care of kids, and make all their extra activities.
Sleep after they go to school set alarms to wake up and get stuff done during the day. You’ll need more sleep until your body can adjust. Not everyone can handle 3rd shift so give yourself 6months or more to get use to it

I have a now 4&7 yr old. Worked 3rd shift for 13 years.
Last 3yrs i havent.

My husband worked evenings so he went to work for 2pm.
Id sleep from about 8am-1pm than get up with them. Often times id start a crock pot meal prior to going to bed.
Get up
Play
make them Dinner etc
When it was time for them to go to bed, I would lay down and set my alarm for 10pm.

Sure it wasn’t easy but I made it work

I’ve worked night shift for the past almost 5 years! I sleep from 9am-240 when I leave to get my kids from school…it works for us. I work at a hospital so I see them more working nights then I would working day shift. Black out curtains for sleep. Caffeine during the night. It works for us!

2 Likes

Go to sleep right away when kids go to school. Sleep until they get home. That will give you time to spend with them plus dinner ect.

If you do an early bed time, you can take a nap for a few hours. Or stay up and get things done that you need to get done. Adequate sleep is the goal so you can function with the kiddos.

3 Likes

Working 3rd shift changes your personality, eating habits, and everything else about your life. It will even wreck your health. You never get rested and people you know treat you like you haven’t been up all night. I’d avoid it if possible.

3 Likes

I’d advise against it. Strongly. My parents worked third shift growing up and it sucked.

3 Likes

Give yourself time to adjust. Took me a solid 4 months to fully feel functional and schedule flipped… Weekends are my hardest b.c I want to be awake when the family is awake so I usually am just super tired on weekends or try and sneak in frequent naps.

I been working nights for 8 years, black out curtains, go to sleep when you get home or wind down than do it, I get up for supper for a few hours thsn lay back down for work

Sleep when your supposed to. Do not do errands or clean when you should be sleeping. Schedule the night before or night after off if you have any events or appointments during your sleep time that will take more than 2 hours. I did third the first few years. Was super hard making up sleep missed. 8 Years old means u can get a nap but at the cost of family time

1 Like

Set 2 separate alarms till you get used to the hours.

1 Like

It will be a hard adjustment. And you’ll always feel tired even with sleep. I worked 3rds while my 4 year old has first year of school and a 1 year old. She didn’t nap until was time to pick my son up. Sometimes I went almost two days with no sleep. Sleep while they’re gone. I couldn’t do it working from home. I wouldn’t be able to stay awake. It will mentally take its toll on you. You literally never feel rested. I quit and got a new job when I passed out one day with my daughter awake. She has colored my face in permanent marker and i slept through it. I felt like the biggest pos. Had a new job 2 weeks later.