Toddler constantly says no

How do you deal with a toddler who constantly says no to literally everything? i am honestly getting tired of the word

79 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Toddler constantly says no

Have you tried reading them books…often times that’s how they pick up new words. Unsure of how old your little one is.

2 Likes

My three-year-old gets to sit in time out when she tells me no. It’s like one of my biggest pet peeves when a kid tells me no when I tell them to do something. She’s been in a phase of doing it lately and it’s driving me bonkers.

5 Likes

Ignore it. My now 3yr old,when through that phase when he was 2 and it was the most annoying thing ever. Ignore it, and just stick with what you want to do and vice versa. Depending on the times your toddler says no,(like if you’re asking to do something or such,) definitely correct them

2 Likes

My kids first repetitive word was “no” even if they wanted it….then it was “yes” even if they didn’t…when they were old enough to understand the difference…i would let them know…”you don’t get to tell mommy no when i ask you to do something…(put up toys) or ( put that in the trash, please)”…they soon learned that i would in fact make them do said thing…but you have to make them…even if it means walking them through whatever you told them to do…sometimes crying the whole way…but they were going to do what i asked….it will get better!

We literally start them off in life, telling them “no no” or “no sir/ma’am”… it’s just the nature of babies/toddlers, or it was with our 3…Be consistent, bc if you’re not, they don’t know what to expect!
Ours are now 21-20-17…:grinning:

Teach them other words.

1 Like

My guy hands me stuff then tells me thank u. Like the remote and then says thank mom. :blush: He’s so funny,I’m the one that’s supposed to say thank u.lol

Don’t give them the option to say no

“I’m not asking you, I’m telling you”

4 Likes

Oh wow. That’s a toddlers favorite word. Just try to keep calm. This is just too much. Do moms really think by toddler age they will know everything and how to act appropriately? You guys are expecting to much from toddlers that don’t even know how to process emotions yet

1 Like

It’s just a phase, it’ll pass… if you think “No” is bad just wait until “Why?” starts…

6 Likes

It will change. LOL :sweat_smile:

Don’t sweat the small stuff

2 Likes

Just a faze.they will tier themselves.play some loud music.not to loud mine you.it will slowly get them swaying and humming and then forgetting the word that’s been stuck in there mind.:crossed_fingers::slightly_smiling_face:

Reword it. Give options.

1 Like

Sounds like you should tell your little one yes more often.
They learn from us. & Honestly if that’s the only word he knows to express himself, it’s on you to teach him how to use his words to express himself as he feels.

Try sitting & watching Daniel Tiger with him & help learn about his words and emotions. & Try saying yes more. They are only little for a very short time.

1 Like

Haha wait until the poop stage. Everything is poop….she’s 4! Mama hang in there I wish I could tell you it will get easier😂 it won’t!!

Welcome to parenthood of a toddler

7 Likes

Gentle Parenting 101

1 Like

Just wait until they start cussing at you and screaming at you to get what they want lol

That’s so common.

I just say “yes yes yes yes yes yes… no…no…no…noo.” Then they get confused and start saying yes and it makes them laugh and we move on.

Also not asking yes or no questions can help.
Instead of do you want -------?
Say "do you want ------- or -------?

5 Likes

I must give my thanks to Mia Westbrook, who posted here last week about the system she uses to earn online… I got my FIRST check total of $2976, which is pretty cool! I am so excited, this is the first time I actually earned something online… I am going to work even harder now and I can’t wait for next week’s payment. It’s so easy, than virtually anyone can do it…

Try it out> https://SmartJob211.pages.dev

1 Like

Sounds like a typical toddler :woman_shrugging:t4: I just learned to tune it out :joy:

2 Likes

Say “stop” instead of “no.” It’s harder for them to say. And say yes more often, just qualify it. “Yes, we can go to the pool, but not today; maybe Saturday.”

No is a powerful word & kids have little power over most things, so your toddler is wielding their only power, which doesn’t always go their way: “do you want ice cream? NO! Oh, OK then” Once the novelty wears off & their vocabulary increases it’ll stop for the most part.

3 Likes

If that’s an issue…put on your seat belt honey!! Lol!!:rofl:

3 Likes

Ignore it, they will move on to another word when they dont get a reaction.

2 Likes

When my kids went through the “no” phase, I gave 2 choices instead of asking questions that would lead to yes or no. Such as “it’s after lunch. The sippy cup and the bowl have to go to the kitchen, which do you want to bring?”. Or “Are you going to lay down or are you going to play for 5 more minutes first?”.

Some more important factors: one of my kids has adhd and dmdd, so she chooses to fight more than do what needs to be done. She’s now 11 and for her, she’s been in the “no” phase for a long while. The difference is that if you say two options, most times it takes the pressure off of “no” and “yes” and instead let’s her brain choose between 2 options.

Then i had my strong-willed super smart toddler…he said no. To everything. Even options.
What we did to get him to do what he needs to is “I know you don’t want to do this. It has to be done though. We can both sit here and wait until you’re ready”. If there’s toys within reach, take them. Just ignore the no and tantrum. Usually in about 10 minutes he’d go do what he needs to do.

The trick is taking away the power struggle.

For our household, my husband and I are on the same page with techniques, which works for us.

Good luck, the “no” phase isn’t the worst and sometimes you got to look at why they’re saying no too. Like environmental factors, who they’ve been around and if they just aren’t sure. I usually have helped my children with their tasks and did a lot of play time.

A lot of it is finding their voice too and exploring their world. It all has a place for when they’re older. Just hang in there. Good luck.

2 Likes

Every no you gotta say yes

It’s hard but it worked with my son

1 Like

I’m going through it with my two year old now lol

Stop asking questions … just tell him what is going to happen

2 Likes

are you constantly saying no?
find ways to reroute his phrase to where it’s a yes and do the same with your own. that’s pretty much what I did. I got tired of saying no to her anyway, when in reality the answer was often yes but later or here’s something different.

I used to try to give my son two options, if possible. This also helps them to start learning how to make decisions. However, I did switch from “No” to “Stop doing such and such (be specific)” for other things.

Probably says it because perhaps you say no to him/her a lot🤷the say what they hear, good luck

All 4 of my kids went through this stage. I learned to ignore it. Honestly, I miss that stage now that they are 24,23,19,and 6.

Typical toddler behaviour. Dont ask yes/no questions. Give them 2 options and let them pick one

3 Likes

Key word there is toddler…

2 Likes

Literally every toddler in the history of humanity has done this.

1 Like

It’s a phase. It will stop around 25 or so.

9 Likes

My almost 2 year old says NO even when he means yes. He just changes the tone :rofl::rofl::rofl:

They grow out of it. Pick your battles.

4 Likes

If we’d ever said NO to either of our parents…we’d probably not be here.

2 Likes

Simple when they ask for something they want say NO. And do it all the time.

1 Like

Ha! Welcome to parenthood :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I always tell my kids “well it’s a good thing I didn’t ASK”

2 Likes

That’s part of having a toddler. Good luck. Next it will be “mama? Mama? Mama?mama?………

1 Like

That’s a toddler for you. You just have to go to the kid, get the kid to do what you said. That’s a yes. Then you go from there.

1 Like

Ummm. That is what a toddler does.

4 Likes

that’s what they do!!! Don’t ask them a question if it’s not ok to say no. Instead word it, like this example: It’s time for bed, do you want me to read you one story or two stories tonight?"

7 Likes

Welcome to being a parent!! U should learn some patience because I’m sure it won’t be only time ur child will say no!

2 Likes

Not sure why people are so rude on here. It is normal but the reason is because you are telling them no 99% of the time and they learn it from you. Try to redirect your toddle in other ways than just saying no and maybe he or she won’t say it as much

I remember with my two Lol
I have a 3 yr old Granddaughter that’s in this stage!
No matter what is said, she says “No”
She can say she wants a drink… then when asked Water or milk, she says No
When ya say No drink she cries or screams
My oldest on the ASD, would say No when meaning Yes…
Mine are both adults! YAY!!!

1 Like

Wait until they are teenagers lmao

Monkey see monkey do … They don’t learn a word without hearing it at that age / stage … Remove it from your vocabulary (& whomever else cares for him) & use other words or groups of words in place of it … Teach him other options for respondes …

He’s a toddler no is one of their favorite words he’ll grow out of it pick your battles this one is not when I would pick to fight

4 Likes

Who taught the child in the first place

That’s learned behavior. Instead of saying no try saying don’t do that or you can’t have that.it does help!

1 Like

well no is an extremely important word later in life so teaching them young to give in to authority figures because they were told to do something they don’t want to is pretty scary. That said it’s also really important to not be rebellious when it’s inappropriate. I’d just insist patiently and explain the reasons why. not “because I said so/I’m your parent”-- real reasons like “because you need sleep at night to stay healthy and happy.” etc. my son was very uncooperative too and being calm and explaining everything that was happening and/or expected of him really made a difference.

3 Likes

They tend to say what they hear. Maybe you say no too often around or directly to your child.

2 Likes

That’s just what toddlers do and it’s even worse when they’re teenagers :joy:

2 Likes

Lucky they don’t have the final say lol keep consistent, physically get up and get them to do what needs to be done, go where needs to gone, eat sleep whatever it is. Assist in making sure it happens, while still having a calm voice. This is just the beginning of pushing buttons and boundaries. It’s hard but you gotta let it roll off your back. My youngest has just about to turn 5 and my eldest is 14 and they still telling me no lol

1 Like

WTH? Quitchn your bitchin Be Thankful your child is still here, happy and healthy.Stay off FB please,that’s disgusting to be that petty and put that out here.

This has to be your first child, lol

4 Likes

Apologies for dropping this here but it feels too great to stay quiet, Good work needs recommendations.
C oonnect with Mrs

I stopped asking my toddler questions that may result in a no answer.

2 Likes

Children can often say a word without really understanding yet what it means. After all, he is a toddler. Start using “yes” more and maybe he will learn that word also. Start teaching him hand signals/signs, facial expressions to accompany each word and be proud of his accomplishments!

2 Likes

Ha!! My two year old will scream ‘I DON’T WANT TO!’ and then cry because he didn’t get to!!
:joy::joy: Deb Muller He doesn’t want whatever he wants!!! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

My daughters speech therapist said once they learn the words no and mine it’s all over. No is her favorite word, “mine” she just learned a month or so ago lol

Find something toddler says yes to.

1 Like

Do you spank? Get a no no stick not big but scary. Time out with the no no stick.

I keep smiling anytime I invest with her, she is is good at what she does, she’s an expert trader​:point_down::point_down:

toddlers will say no clear into adulthood… :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

ignore it. They go through that phase. They will grow out of it if you ignore it.

It’s just a stage lol I found it hilarious with both my kids

Oh, yep because 1- it’s easy to say. 2- sometimes they don’t know what they’re saying no too. Once I used to tease my kids and they’d say no, no then I’d say want this (hand them candy) they say no… lol I say ok I eat it in front of them. I said you said no… so sometimes they just say no just because they can.

Trick em. " You sure? Could be fun"

Welcome to my life :rofl::weary:

The same way mothers have since the beginning of time lol

2 Likes

Welcome to the age. Fix: ask him if he wants a cookie. Or a hug, or go to the park… etc. Ask ask ask… he will learn that NO gets him nothing !!!

Give options instead of demands. Don’t create unnecessary power struggles. Stay at Home Moms :fire:

My daughter is 13 and her version of “No” is much more unpleasant. Don’t react. Enjoy them while they’re little!

2 Likes

“You don’t tell me no”

Give them a choice, would you prefer this one, or that one! :smile:

1 Like

Outwit, outplay, outsmart

1 Like

She says it cause it is said to her allot but it’s also easy to say. As she learns more words it will get better.

All toddlers do is say no once they hear it. Stop saying it yourself and find other ways to communicate or read to them alot of informative books, like about bugs, animals etc and get them interested in all sorts of things in this world and forget about the word no

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: it’s probably a phase the child will grow out of it.

Depending what it is but I would always let her know the choice she was making. You don’t want to help clean up? Oh I guess we can’t play with any other toys then. You don’t want to get dressed? Well I guess we have to stay home instead of having fun outside. Etc

1 Like

You can’t it’s a toddler thing