Trigger warning: Miscarriage

When I was 15, I got pregnant by a 19-year-old. I didn’t know much about sex and was very naive. I wasn’t put on birth control; I wasn’t even taught about periods. I was homeschooled up until I was 15 as well, so no Sex Ed yet. My family goes to the last ultrasound, I don’t remember how far along I was, but I remember when none of us heard a heartbeat and the words coming out of the woman’s mouth telling me I had had a miscarriage. She and my mother spoke quietly, and the rest of us went to the car. When we got home, my mom took me aside and told me that she said since it’s so little, it would go past on its own two months later, and it had yet to pass. I was getting very sickly, waiting. I got to the point where I couldn’t move much on my own and couldn’t keep any food or liquids down for a week. My mother calls my primary doctor, and she calls me in some medication. I take it as prescribed, and eventually, the baby comes out. I have two questions about this, but I feel it requires this little backstory above. 1: I have had extreme back pain every time I get too cold or when it rains a lot since it’s happened. To the point, I’ve basically been paralyzed. I haven’t spoken to the doctor about it because I don’t know of anything that could be done, but I’m at the point now where I’ve got a son, and I can’t be getting locked up like this anymore. I’m a single parent, so there’s no one to help me. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with passing a miscarriage on your own and if it caused any life long problems 2: I don’t remember the medication name, so I googled what I did remember of it. The pills I found online that matched the description best were called abortion pills. I’m now very upset and worried that maybe the ultrasound machine had a fluke, and I accidentally aborted my son’s older sibling. I was just wondering if that was possible. I should think of went back to the OB for another ultrasound before getting those pills

45 Likes

You need to contact a doctor…they can help a lot more then Facebook physicians!

11 Likes

I’ve never had a miscarriage or an abortion but I imagine if the baby had passed and your body was having a hard time doing the process on it’s own maybe the medication would be the same as the medication to used for an early on abortion. I maybe totally wrong here I’m not a doctor and I’ve never gone through it just my thoughts. I definitely would ask a doctor about the pain you’re feeling. I’m sorry you went through all of that.

4 Likes

Miscarriages are called “spontaneous abortions” so that could be why they are labeled that way

5 Likes

I was pregnant at 15 as well. My twins died at 20 weeks and I too went septic. What we aren’t warned about is the damage pregnancy does to us at that age. The pressure on our young bones does damage. Go to your doctor and demand to be heard. Ask for a referral to a dietitian and learn about way to heal the damage. Magnesium helps, vitamin d, calcium, c, and glucosamine are what I take. It can get better.hang in there momma and I am sorry you were so badly treated you disnt deserve that as you struggled

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. There are typically 3 options when you miscarry. 1. Pass on your own. 2. Take the medication (which is like abortion meds). 3. Surgery. If it doesn’t pass on it’s own, the option is medication or surgery otherwise there’s a high risk of infection. Some choose not to take the medication since it’s also classified as abortion medication.

For the continued symptoms, I agree with the others- get to your doctor.

3 Likes

Miscarriages are medically referred to as spontaneous abortions. And a miscarriage in your past should not have any effect as far as paralyzing you if you have a cold.

5 Likes

I had miscarriage at about 6 weeks didn’t find out until 8 weeks. I too giving a rx to help it pass but when that didn’t work they had me come in and have a d&c. I’m sorry they let you carry so long.

1 Like

when the fetus didn’t expel on it’s own, they had to use a cocktail of drugs to force it from your womb. It wasn’t an abortion in the normal sense, as the baby had already passed away.

1 Like

I can’t believe they made you take a pill and not go have a dnc. I got so sick trying to pass a miscarriage on my own that I had to be rushed to the hospital to have a dnc. If there were any damage though you wouldn’t have had a successful pregnancy. So you did pass everything. That doesn’t always happen. You should look up side effects of abortion pills and ask a doctor as well as for your current pain. I passed another miscarriage after that on my own. Had to hear from my doctor both times that the baby I was carrying died. I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t think you accidentally aborted a healthy baby. So let that calm your mind. Definitely see someone about that physical pain you have. Praying for you!

2 Likes

You need to get to a doctor or if it’s bad go to ER … No here can answer this … Not being mean but we aren’t doctors nor do we know the details or medicine you took … DO NOT GO TO DOCTOR THT TOOK CARE OF THIS … Personally I get to ER

2 Likes

Try to get your chart information from the time and schedule an appointment with that info with a doctor and talk about your experience and your concerns with your current pain maybe?

4 Likes

:butterfly:oh sweetie. I am so very sorry for your loss. Don’t be too hard on yourself and don’t over think the why’s it happened. Sometimes this just happens. As for your physical symptoms now. Start journaling what you are doing and where you are 24 hours before it happens. Try to find the common thread (other than the weather). There may be an allergy issue.

3 Likes

We’re not doctors. Call your doctor.

2 Likes

I had was called vanishing twin syndrome with my last pregnancy. I remember being so scared, cause I thought I was losing my baby. I was having all the signs of a miscarriage. The er Dr doctors told me that one of the twins had past, but there was no need to worry since my body would absorb it. My son was born at 37 weeks, and was a happy healthy baby. The er doc and ob were correct. My body did absorb the other baby. I didn’t know I was pregnant with twins, till I was told by the er doc.

I was able to pass it on my own, and I have no long term problems from it. I’ve had three healthy pregnancies since then.

I got pregnant at 15 as well. My son was born at 34 weeks. He is special needs and 13 years old. My body was always in pain after his pregnancy. 13 years later and it still is. I honestly don’t think our bodies are ready to have babies that young and that’s my problem.

1 Like

Op please call your Obgyn or go to the ER. There is so much misinformation in your post and in these comments. Stay off doctor google and nurse suzzie from FB. This is an ob’s worst nightmare! They are the best at answering your questions. And reliving your pain.

2 Likes

You said you had a son. Did you happen to get an epidural when you had him?

3 Likes

It sounds like you’ve had a “ silent “ miscarriage
Sadly quite often the body holds on to the baby so help is needed for the miscarriage to take place - this is often done either surgically or with medicine - like in your case - what you were given is a perfectly normal way to bring about the natural process - your body could have continued to hold the baby for many many more weeks - which as you were discovering - could make you very unwell

Losing a baby under any circumstances and at any age is such a sad thing and is hard to go through - my heart goes out to you
On a different note you shouldn’t be feeling pain from this - therefore to be honest I think the only people that can help with this is a doctor - I think you need to tell them what you’ve told us x

2 Likes

A check up with the doctor is a place to start, for a good physical. A Physical Therapist who deals with a woman’s pelvic floor, can be of great knowledge and help. I hade two difficult pregnancy, female issues and back problems. My PCP sent me to a PT whose focus is women’s services. It’s made a difference in my quality of life. My children are in their late 20’s and mid 30’s. So that’s how long I’ve dealt with pain. You no longer have to get a doctor’s referral for PT services.

The miscarriage wouldn’t have made you have back problems, you weren’t far enough along for it to even have a physical effect on your body, they are the size of a peanut at that stage.

And I had to take those pills too, they aren’t abortion pills, they basically break down the stuff in your uterus, to get rid of it, because if it takes to long it can become toxic for your body and potentially cause harm to your body. Don’t be to upset the doctor would have never called In those pills if she thought the fetus hadn’t stop growing. Doctors get all ultrasound results and blood work.

1 Like

My friend had a check up with an obg and they told her there was no fetal heart beat at 30 weeks and told her to make an appointment to surgically remove. She wanted a second opinion and went to a different obg and they told her good thing she didnt make the other appointment because the baby was perfectly fine and healthy. If ever in your future you feel skeptical, get a second opinion.
I knew right away when I was having a miscarriage. Mine happened almost 2 months ago and I’m still heart broken. I wasnt too far along and mine passed naturally. But the back pain persisted for a week after and cramping.

2 Likes

I would see a counceller hun, I had an eptopic and needed the injections I also thought what if they was wrong and baby was in the right place as it was too little to see on a scan? But we can’t beat ourselfs up - the machine wouldn’t of been wrong and you will always grieve this is a good thing your a great mummy! Go talk to someone get better you deserve it x

1 Like

It’s called a missed abort when the cells need to be removed. Pills are sometimes used. It’s painful either way you do it. But you should call your doctor and discuss your concerns there, no one here can give you a real answer as every one reacts differently to things.

I chose to take the pills instead of a Dnc because I already had scar tissue from a C-section and DnC can cause scarring inside your uterus. No problems at all and I’ve had 2 losses.

I had to take a pill to miscarry about 15 yrs ago and had no issues. I started having this issue from live pregnancy, I was very small when carrying my daughter and herniated a disc in my back, but my symptoms are not as severe as you describe.

I suspect you developed infection and scar tissue in your pelvis and it is affecting your lower back. Try to get an MRI. An orthopedic doctor should be consulted for the back pain.

1 Like

If there was no heartbeat the baby had already passed so don’t beat yourself up about taking the medicine. I don’t think the back pain would be related to that but an orthopedic doctor would be able to check you out and see what’s going on.

If you were prescribed a medication, it will be in your personal file. Call the doctor and get the information. Or ho to the pharmacy and get a printout of your prescription, it’s your right. Then go from there. Something doesnt seem right.

They should of done a DNC. Plain and simple.

I’m sorry for your lose. I’ve lost 5 babies and had 3. None of my Miscarriage, cause pain like that. Just a tip and what I’ve lived by get a second opinion, before doing or taking anything. Sending hugs.

My darling friend Rose, you are ageless

Who ever this is inbox me I been through that pill myself at the same age and I have three kids now so my body been through the same things

The medical term for miscarraige is missed abort. I work in a hosp and often see the word abortion and then u get termination of pregnancy. So abortion does not always mean termination. There is a difference. Hope it helps

Miscarriages are medically called spontaneous abortions or missed abortions. I had a miscarriage in 2014, and after discussing it with my doctor, I decided to do the “abortion” pill, since the baby was already passed away. I did NOT terminate the pregnancy, it wasn’t an abortion. The pill helped my body pass the baby quicker than if I’d decided to wait. I was afraid of going through what happened to you— going sceptic. I had a son already and I was afraid of dying and leaving him with no one. So don’t think of it as a termination of pregnancy, just that the pill helped you pass the cells that made you sceptic. It’s heartbreaking, but if you went sceptic, there’s a chance baby wasn’t alive when you took the pill. :disappointed:

As for the back pains, call your doctor. It could be an effect from going sceptic.

1 Like

Maybe a functional movement disorder brought on by the trauma, ask about a referral to a neuropsychologist with a background in trauma

Sounds like a traumatic experience. I too think you should request a copy of your medical records for concrete evidence. As far as the ultrasound if there is no movement or heart beat they can document and tell that it most likely is not a mistake. I have not had a miscarriage, but have heard that chiropractor might help as well as counseling. Anxiety can cause paralysis and numbing.

The only person u can talk to about this is your dr.

The abortion pill is 2 pills which u have to take them 24 hours apart. Swallow 1 … then dissolve the 2nd onto your gums.

I suggest u go to your dr and get your medical records. Have a chat and see what’s going on to get some clarification

Omg. I’d definitely talk to your doctor.
Not only for your back. Which could be your nerves. But also to see exactly what you were prescribed. If you remember your doctor then. You can go to that office and get your medical records. The drug name will be there.
Good luck

6 Likes

It depends on how far along you are, but it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for it to pass on its own. I am surprised you were not offered the pill earlier though. With both of our losses last year, I was offered either the pill or a D&C right on that day. Granted the D&C would be scheduled, but the pill could be taken right there.

When I had a miscarriage baby did by pass on its own. I do know that usually they do surgery like to remove baby if it doesn’t bypass on its own. It also didn’t take long before I found out about no heart beat to when the baby by passed… so I don’t know the actual time length it could take until it does. Sorry I wasn’t help, but I’m very sorry for your loss and I hope that your mother didn’t do what I think she did.

Iys very heart breaking that you went through this but if you think that way your gonna just drive yourself crazy with the shoula could woulda I’ve been there I’ve had a miscarriage all I can say is keep your head up baby girl it gets better

2 Likes

The best thing would be make an appointment at the office that said you had a miscarriage and discuss the questions you have. Depending on how far along you were etc all play a part in why they wouldn’t have you go back for a second ultrasound. But that’s where I would start

2 Likes

To the first question After my 3rd I had the same thing I went to a chiro and I have not had the same pain since. To the second question…you can worry and its not going to help. I would name that baby. Have a ceremony by your self if need be. Did the father of that child never get reported for Statutory rape?

I had those same exact problems w my BK I never went in to be checked think at that time I had 3 kids I also had a few misscarages but since I already had alot on my plate never paid any attention to it but oh hell it freaking hurt hurt so bad but it past I have Haven’t dealt w any of it in awhile

I was 8 weeks when i had mine but they said it wouldn’t pass in its own and i had to do the dnc… this was 10 years ago… I’ve heard stories where heartbeat might have not been detected at that point and now wonder if i would have gotten a second opinion maybe i would have actually had that baby…

2 Likes

Maybe go see a new Dr. and let them know of your pain when cold. Talk to your insurance co. first to see how much they cover it.

You need a DNC! Go to the doctor. Your too young to suffer like this!

2 Likes

I had 5 children and now that the youngest is 10 I have been getting that way too! If I lay on my back and try to get u I’m brought to my knees in pain. I haven’t gone to the Dr either believing it’s part of what I put my body through, m 5’ and had 8lb kids. I’m thinking they wrecked me. I DNT think it was part of the miscarriage.

Did you have a period?

I had a missed miscarriage, my body wasn’t registering the fact that my baby was no longer alive and I had to take medication as well.

When you google the name it does say it is an abortion pill but they are also used when your body won’t pass the baby out when you have lost it.

13 Likes

You may be able to get the records from the hospital and your primary dr and get the answer you’re looking for. Would your mom be honest if you asked her about what really happened? You may want to talk to her…

2 Likes

You did not accidentally kill your child’s sibling. No heart beat means you could not have done anything. The “abortion pill” is medicine prescribed by a doctor. They gave it to you to clean out your uterus because you could have died from infection. If the baby already did not have a heart beat it wasn’t an abortion. Sadly, the fetus was not developing correctly. I’m sorry you went through that. :cry:
Find a doctor and do talk to them about your back problems. Maybe some counseling too. Good luck.

21 Likes

Today actually marks the first month since I miscarried. I started bleeding on 1/8 and everything passed naturally. I was 8 weeks and 5 days but they think the little one stopped growing at about 6 weeks. I’m in a miscarriage support group on Facebook and they have helped me out so very much it’s called “miscarriage support group.” Some of the women who have experienced what you did were told it’s called a missed miscarriage, when the heart stops and you don’t pass things. In most instances when this happens they are given a pill (which can also be used to induce an abortion with a healthy fetus) the pill helps to move things along and pretty much tells the body “were not pregnant anymore” so that you don’t require surgery to remove everything. It may be helpful to talk to your mother more about it if she’s willing/able since she spoke to the doctor on your behalf. I would say that would answer some questions to help put your mind at ease. Also ask for your medical records so you can see it for yourself. You can ask them to explain it to you if you don’t quite understand all the terms they use. As far as the back pain goes it depends on how far along you were. When I was pregnant with my daughter (she’s 6 now) I started having some major back pain and it has never gone away. We found out a few years ago that I have degenerative disc disease and being pregnant and gaining weight made it flare up.

1 Like

I had to take that medicine when i lost my first child due to a miscarriage… It taken like 10 weeks for all the bleeding to stop…

I don’t think they were used to abort your child. Sadly, it is highly possible to miscarry because you were at such a young age. The pill you took was to help it pass as it wouldn’t on its own. It is possible to have back problems after having kids. I have chronic back pain after my second.

5 Likes

I doubt that you were given the “abortion pill”; you were probably given Misoprostol, which dilates your cervix and uterine lining to shed - allowing for a complete miscarriage. Misoprostol is often used in combination with mifepristone, aka, “the abortion pill”, but only in the first trimester of an ELECTIVE medical abortion. I hope this helps!

8 Likes

Honestly it kinda sounds like you were becoming septic. They probably did give you abortion pills but just to shed the dead fetus that was making you Ill… I wouldnt worry to much.

5 Likes

With your second child did you get an epidural? I’ve never had one but have heard they mess with your back in cold weather afterwards.

5 Likes

You may want to look into sciatica for your back issues and a good chiropractor can help you with that. I am not sure that the miscarriage is related or a coincidence, but it can be something as simple as a sneeze that aggravates mine. Regarding your want to know about that medication and the part you played in your situation…my heart broke when I read what you said and I just wanted to hug you and say, please don’t drive yourself crazy with the what if’s. You have to trust that the adults that helped you through it helped or made decisions for you that were best and if your family cared enough to go to the ultrasound it doesn’t seem to me that why would lie to you or not offer second opinions if they felt they were warranted. I liked what the one lady said that seems to share my feelings… have yourself a private little memorial ceremony and make a marker for your angel (even if it is a small statue, stuffed animal etc that you keep someplace for yourself) somewhere to allow you to grieve and go to or hold onto when you want to. I hope you find peace.

It’s a pill used to help remove the dead cell, that’s all. They are called abortion pills because they help to abort the unwanted tissue that will cause serious harm if allowed to stay. It’s normal

1 Like

The pills you can take if you want to try to let your body pass the “baby” are what people who want an abortion are given - however they are given the first pill first, which is the one that actually stops the baby’s heart beat, the pill we take if you have a miscarriage is the second pill, which opens the cervix to help the body pass everything.

Please dont feel guilty.
There are pills that can help trigger you body to get rid of the fetus and complete the miscarriage. The medical community sometimes uses the word abortion and miscarriage somewhat interchangeably.
It sounds like it’s been a while since this whole thing. I think you should definitely talk to a doctor about your pain and you may get referred elsewhere to get the help you need. You shouldn’t live in this pain if you can do something about it.

It’s part of a D&C process for unviable pregnancy. I went through it in 2016 . I recommend counseling I did it my self and it help incredibly!! Many hugs to you momma :heart:

please go to a doctor, emergency room, clinic. You and other people who are commenting are not doctors. you need help now.

Should of, could of, and would of will drive you nuts if you let it. Best to just let it go. You’re never gonna know for sure anyways.

2 Likes

Since you’ve had a baby after the miscarriage, it’s much more likely that any issues you’re having now are related to your full term pregnancy and delivery. You need to make an appointment to see an OBGYN and mention your symptoms to them so they can do the appropriate testing.

5 Likes

since 2 months passed and ypu gpt sicker it just means ypur body couldnt expell it on its own and it was decaying in you making you very sick. I miscarried at 7 wks but didnt know it was gone until my ultrasound at 12 weeks. no heart beat and i was feeling sick before then

Yup very possible. I was just gonna say. They probably gave u abortion pills. I had a ultrasound with the baby im pregnant with now at 5 weeks. No hb yet. 7weeks. There was one
So depending how early u were. It could have been to early to even have a hb. Cause at 5-6 weeks. Its not even a fetus yet. Its a ball of cells. Literally. They told me it was a yolk sack…ur mom and dr gave u abortion pills

Your body wasnt releasing they needed to intervene its called a missed miscarriage (youd never have known if wasnt for the scan) the medication can be used for a medical termination depending on your medical history. But only way you can find that out is through your medical records that you can ask for as any time!

You really need to talk to a counceler and checked by a Medical Dr.

Have you been evaluated by your primary care provider about this? It sounds like you have some issue with the lumbar spine and an MRI might be useful.

1. There is nothing called abortion pills. The pills you took helped your body expel the baby that had died. They can be used for abortion, miscarriage risk of sepsis, and several other uterine problems.

I highly highly suggest therapy to help you work through and cope with what happened. You were so young and so misinformed and things were kept from you.

1. Every pregnancy causes major changes in your body. You having a full term birthed child can severely effect your lower back.

My suggestion for the back pain is to make an appointment with your physician and explain the problem. Go get some xrays to see about possible spine injury or deterioration.

That sounds like sciatica

Cytotec (misoprostol) would have been the medication I believe it’s called, but since having a baby after the miscarriage the back pain could be caused by that pregnancy/birth also where I’m from miscarriages can also be called a spontaneous abortion (doctors terms)