Was I Wrong For Not Giving My Baby Formula to a Friend?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"Really need someone to tell me if I’m wrong for this! So with the formula shortage, it’s been struggling for everyone to feed their babies and that’s awful. My son is six months and luckily over the past few months with the help of family I’ve gotten a total of 11 cans of formula. With how much my son eats in formula and baby food I’m already down to my last three cans. Well, the other day my friend is over and went into my pantry and saw my last few cans and asked for one for her friend's daughter's baby, I explained no I’m sorry these are my last few cans and I need them for me son. I have not been able to find it anywhere nor has family in a few weeks so I need to hold on to what I have. She yelled and called me selfish and a terrible woman for letting another baby starve. I finally said ok but I need her to pay for it so I have money to go find something else for my son and she again said no “it should be free since you wanna bitch” is what she told me. I paid my family for every can and I’m on a one-income family with two kids and one on the way I can’t afford to give it away for free since it’s 45 bucks a can. Am I wrong for refusing? I wouldn’t intentionally let another baby suffer but I also need to think of my son and him being able to eat."

RELATED: I’m Running Low on Formula and Will Run Out Before My Next Paycheck Clears: Are There Any Safe Formula Substitutions I Can Use?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Not at all. Not even a little"

"She sounds rude and wouldn’t be invited over to my house again!!! It’s not like you’re hoarding 30 cans. 3 cans is barely anything. I wouldn’t have let them go either"

"Wow. Some friend. If she’s so concerned tell her to go driving around for hours trying to find formula"

"No you're not wrong that friend should understand"

"she is selfish to expect it for free and why would she just walk into your pantry. I hope you went and counted your cans after she left"

"Tell her ass to go to her pediatrician's office for some free sample cans, then tell her to go fuck herself."

"First and foremost, this shortage is not your fault or any parent's fault. Secondly, she is probably just as stressed as every parent out there. Third, was she completely out? Could you have maybe poured some in a bag if she was? Or charged her for half a can? Something like that?"

"You aren’t wrong. You need to take care of your son before her friend's child. Your friend shouldn’t have asked. She definitely shouldn’t have expected it for free either! She’s a B."

"Your friend should put as much energy into tracking down baby formula as she did being a jerk to you."

"It’s not like it’s ur friend who needs the formula. It’s ur friend's friend. So no I don’t believe U should have given it to her."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/was-i-wrong-for-not-giving-my-baby-formula-to-a-friend/19147/