Ways to stay warm in the winter?

I’m not asking for sympathy or anything I just haven’t the means of getting any money to put more gas and electric in, it’ll probably last a couple more days. Ive a 6 year old in school at the moment and I’m going to bring the duvets down and make it a snuggly night on the sofa this evening, but I can’t keep doing that or he’ll want to sleep downstairs all the time lol. So if any of you have any tips I would be really grateful
103 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/ways-to-stay-warm-in-the-winter/15542

Seek help from your local church.

1 Like

I don’t know if you are able to afford it or not but, a space heater? They’re like $40 and they heat up a room easily but other than that I’d bundle up and wrap up in blankets, I’ve been there. :two_hearts:

11 Likes

Let him sleep downstairs all the time…as long as he’s warm.

47 Likes

Hot water bottles are a lifesaver for me, pop them in the bed 10min before sleeping and it’ll make it snuggly. Socks to bed, slippers, shut curtains early.

6 Likes

Check w social services, in NY they have programs that help pay heating cost ( not sure about other states ). It’s easier to qualify for them than it is regular social services like food stamps

1 Like

Space heater. Or let him sleep downstairs. I would rather my child be warm than worry about where he will want to sleep after that.

14 Likes

Ring your utilities company. If you have a child they can add credit for you.

2 Likes

Ummm maybe he wants to sleep downstairs because it’s warm. Invest in a space heater if you don’t want him want downstairs all the time

2 Likes

Use the oven to cook dinner then leave the over door open as it’s cooking down. Space heater are great. Maybe you can borrow money to purchase one. Also check churches and other community resources. I’m sure someone will help especially since you have a child and it’s winter.

2 Likes

Hot water bottles! I grew up in a house with no central heating and it was freezing at night time. You got into bed and had to do a little dance under the covers to try and warm them up a bit with your body heat. Once he’s asleep he will be warm and toasty in the bed :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I wish there was a way we could help people like this. I would absolutely order a space heater off Amazon and have it shipped to them.

19 Likes

Low income energy assistance program is available at your nearest health and human services department. They also have extra money because of covid. They will make sure you have heat for the winter. It’s also called LEAP.

11 Likes

Go to FB groups that give assistance

We never had heat growing up. We put on a lot of clothes. Lots of blankets and we slept together for more heat

We went without heat one night in Ohio when it got down to -19 with a newborn, a toddler and a teenager. I feel for you girl, and I know the struggle is probably harder than your letting on.
You’ll want to create a barrier over the windows using cellophane, or there are special window coverings you can get that cost a couple dollars at the hardware store that you put over the windows that prevent drafts from cracks, and keep the heat in. Close off any extra rooms and tuck towels under door frames to prevent the escape of heat. If you dont have enough for all the rooms, pick the one room that is smallest/least windows. Put up thick blankets in front of the door to prevent drafts, so the heat stays in the room. Also, perfect time for an indoor camping session! Open up the tent and climb in if you’ve got it, otherwise make a couch fort with blankets/towels. Confining the heat to a smaller space like a tent or fort will keep you a little warmer. You could try shutting off the vents in rooms you wont be using for the time being. Try not to wear too much clothing to sleep in - military trick. If you tuck the blankets around yourself, your exposed body releases heat and warms the air trapped in the blanket actually making it feel warmer. If youre wearing pjs, only the fabric warms up, not the air around you, so it isnt as warm.
Call your service companies and ask for assistance programs. They may not have one but they could likely direct you to some you werent even aware of. You could also try putting reflective items outside the windows to direct heat inward during the day to keep it a little more manageable. And to save on electric and gas try to stay out of the house and away from unnecessary things like entertainment tools that soak up energy. Go to the library for some computer time, then take home a book and leave as they close. Rice warmers, neck warmers, hand warmers dont do much but might help. You can get those reflective safety blankets from the dollar store as well. Look online in the marketplace and craigslist for space heaters if you can afford a cheap one. Make sure you’re monitoring things properly so you dont short circuit anything, or catch anything on fire. And make sure the clothing you are all wearing isnt to restrictive or tight. And that the blankets arent too heavy on the little one. Snuggling under the same blanket helps with that.

14 Likes

Kerosean heater electric heaters but if you use a kerosean heater be sure to put a pot of water on it

1 Like

Space heaters raise your electric bill alot if you use them all the time so be careful

5 Likes

If you’re able to call 211 they will give you so many resources. Most local churches are helping at this point as well prayers for you and yours

2 Likes

So we use to be fuel oil (now we’re propane) we sectioned off rooms with blankets and closed doors to rooms we werent using. We did lots of “living room camp outs” with space heaters. Did this with a 6yr old, 1yr old, and a NB. :heart: they love camping out. We continue to do it for fun/rewards.

2 Likes

Ring your surpliers and explan your situation they can help or ask c.a.b they can help and so can universal credit if u explain, change room use candles but became full snuggle read story’s fun one wear extra clothes xxxx been there last year I rang surliest and they put a lump sum on and I payed it back at £1 aweek xxxxx

Fuel assistance, most towns/cities have some type of assistance to help make sure that people are staying warm. And you could try calling 211. :heart:

2 Likes

Is the downstairs heated? If you’d like to PM me, I will be happy to order you a heater and send it to you via Amazon. I will give you my name and you can verify Who I am with the nursing board online. Im an RN and would love to help.

55 Likes

Cover windows with plastic and block any drafty windows or doors with towels or blankets.

2 Likes

hot water bottle? or mini hand/feet warmers

I live in Canada
I called 211 and they’re very helpful getting you to the right people for assistance

Old fashioned water bottles, get the ones with the fuzzy covers and they are very safe, extra jumpers and socks and maybe a beenie for your head. Most body heat is lost from your feet and head.

2 Likes

U can get a warm home grant of £140 pound added to your meter x

We went almost 3 years in our current home WITHOUT central heating. It sucked, but we did it!

We had a kerosene heater that we set in the kitchen for the kitchen, dining room, and living room that did wonders. We also had 2 large space heaters in the living room, then 1 small heater in each bedroom.

We bundled up and wore LOTS of layers. It wasn’t ideal; but we survived it.

1 Like

I had a very old cottage from the late 1800s n couldn’t afford oil so what I did was I always had pots of water boiling on my stove. It really helps just keep an eye on them. There’s these plastic covers to put on your windows so the heat doesn’t go out of them. N get a towel n stick it under your doors so there’s no gap. Close off rooms that you don’t have to use. I’m so sorry your going through this. I know how rough it is. Try n get Snuggie or a very heavy robe. I live in a cold state n as a kid in the winter we use to sleep wt gloves n hats on wt lots of blankets.

1 Like

Depending on where you are in the world! Ring your service provider and tell them how desperate you are, sometimes they will give you emergency credit as a one off!

1 Like

Layer your clothes bed socks track pants under denim or long pjs under pants 2 shirts one long-sleeve under a tee etc.

On the windows put bubble wrap, keep to 1 room and just say when it’s warmer everything back to normal

3 Likes

Heated blanket, really worth it

3 Likes

Growing up we had the same struggle in our home especially when we lost power in the hard part of winter. We also got creative with camp outs in the living room or ‘sleepovers’ in mom’s bed to stay warm. Kerosene heaters are great to have if you can vent the room you are using it in. Also I see a lot of people recommending hot water bottles and all the suggestions are great but if you can’t afford an actual rubber hot water bottle, get a couple cheap 2L drink bottles to fill with hot water once they are empty. They are great to fill and put into the bed before laying down so the covers are toasty. I know it’s hard right now but when your son is older he isn’t gonna dwell on the house being cold, he will remember how fun you made the camp outs and sleepovers on those cold nights. Some of the best memories I have are of my family gathering in the living room to stay warm. It’s not so bad that your little guy is sleeping in the living room right now. As long as he is warm and getting good rest for school he will be ok. Give yourself some grace and in the day light hours call around the see what assistance you can get. You’re doing a good job! Good luck!

17 Likes

Fleece duvet covers. Onesies fluffy socks and hot water bottles. I’m having do this atm as heating oil is to expensive. Then halogen heater when downstairs.

Go through and make sure there are no gaps or drafts in the house. Places the cold air can come in. Cover all windows with plastic and seal around edges with tape. Also look into a propane space heater. They are very warm and not too expensive.

I’m in the uk so I couldn’t accept but thankyou so much for your thought xxx

Wrap windows and doors u dont use to keep the cold out.

1 Like

What about setting up a Go Fund Me on facebook and i’m sure there are other sources. Look into it.

Cover windows with plastic. We use space heaters I bedroom and living room.

I remember this struggle, it’s no fun and wears your heart down. Prayers Momma. I would suggest something but these lovely women have already said most of what I was going to say.

If you have the means, maybe stay at a good friends house or relative until you are able to afford the Bill.

Call your local churches we used to have a church that would help us

1 Like

Depending on where you live there are services available to you if you call and say you have no gas and you can’t afford it and have a child.

He will NOT be taken from you and they will NOT contact social services. I know this is a huge fear for parents who are struggling to heat their house through the winter so they don’t reach out.
I live in PA in the USA and our county has a weatherization program that will make sure you have utilities the same day and help get you signed up for discounted gas & electric.

You sound like a great mom trying her best. :heart:

3 Likes

What about social services? They have emergency funds for this exact reason? They can pay your overdue electric and get power turned back on and even help with heating fuel

3 Likes

Lay news paper in between blankets

Everyone who keeps saying space heaters most now require a plug in to use so she can’t do that she’s already stated she doesn’t have electricity or heat on in the home cause of no money

She’s going to need to do something different like hot water bottles or tons of blankets for now until she gets the electric and heat turned on

1 Like

Can you apply for the cold weather discount they put up to 150 on your gas meter xxxx

Tape bubble wrap to your windows. Assuming they are not leaking around the sills, this will allow light in but insulate against losing heat through the glass panes.

Purchase a space heater.
And move your livingroom into your bedroom. So you have one really warm room.
Cover your doors and windows with plastic or sheets or blankets
Fleece blankets.
Apply for assistance

2 Likes

Hang a blanket over every door way that is in the room you will be staying in

3 Likes

I would definitely say contact the church. Especially this time of year while you can adopt a family for Christmas. I always see things like this on the wish list.

2 Likes

Salvation Army will help with bills. Also DHHR will help. Call some churches ask for help some have funds for that. And food pantry’s good luck

This might be a long shot depending on where you live but what about a wood stove or heater, you can find people that will install it for you and might not charge anything knowing your situation. My great uncle uses one and he says it keeps him quite warm

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it is illegal to allow someone to live without electric in the Winter. At least in my state they are not allowed to turn electricity off in the winter because it is dangerous with the cold and pipes freezing. Contact your city and ask for a payment plan to get your electric on asap. Then, you can at least use a space heater or open your oven to heat the house

4 Likes

You’ve got to find a way. If you don’t heat your home.or apartment you risk frizen busted pipes. Your gonna have more issues then you can count.
Please talk to you landlord if you rent save him this agony, bext week the check hits for 300- 250. Use that to pay towards your heating bill.

2 Likes

Their are a few weird hacks on YouTube that work the over works but be careful you could end up biting the coil out if you get to hot to long and then you won’t have that either I just turn the over on the leave the door closed we live in the pacific bother west use to power being out for a long time other then that candela and lots of blankets sleep together at night that will keep you warm clothes all doors and curtains to hold in heat at night if Sunny and warm during the day open curtains where sun comes threw keep the rest closed

There are local places (ours is called Hope House) and they will help you with electricity and heat.

If you have long socks and a cheap bag of plain rice you can make heating pack heat in microwave start out with one min and go from there depends on how big you make them … rice hold heat for long time .

4 Likes

My mom cut off her gas heat and used space heaters throughout.
One in living room, one in bedroom , another in bathroom and one towards the front of the house for the other two rooms and bathroom.

She did that for like a solid 2 years and all of a sudden this year, the heat is back😅

I was like where’s all the space heaters at?!:joy::joy:

1 Like

There should be help where you live for electric and gas services. Local churches. There’s a place called ekan where I love that helps with finds like that.

2 Likes

The poster has no electric or gas. Suggesting heaters isn’t going to help.

3 Likes

How much do you owe on your bills? You can get help call your local DHS it’s called family and job’s service depending on where you live it might be call different. Call your electric company and ask them for an payment plan for the winter and they do summer plains too Ohio does for sure. I might be able to help you because your son needs heat and electric

I’m sorry maybe I’m the odd man out but you need to find a way or send your child to family. It is unfair for your child to not be able to move comfortably in the house. He should not be freezing.

10 Likes

Contact 211, local Action Agency, DHS, even your child’s school teacher. They will help you.

Visqueen in the windows with blankets over it will help, as well as hanging blankets in open doorways. Small space heaters as well as baking in the evening.

3 Likes

Contact churches, send kiddo to stay with family that have power and heat, call 211 for help…If not, then if cps shows up and you have no heat or power there will be issues…Please seek assistance.

9 Likes

May seem silly, but it works!

4 Likes

News paper. Bunched up inside your clothes… Best insulation.
I used to be homeless :expressionless:

6 Likes

Hot water bottles keep beds nice and warm, we use them in our trailer in winter.

1 Like

What state do you live in? In? Utah ,they have a program called H. E A. T. They have this program that pays for your gas and power.for reasons like yours. Check into your states resources they have to offer.

1 Like

For starters, heat rises so upstairs should be warmer.

1 Like

If your in the UK ring your energy/gas provider & explain the situation they are able to do emergency funds I know this as I’ve previously had to do the same & they emailed me a code to take to the shop to top my key cards up but if your on a smart meter they are able to credit it straight to your meter . Theres also a charity called beat the cold & they help out with oil filled radiators & a credit for electricity. I hope this helps :blush:

Pick a room that’s insulated. Blanket up all doorways. Heat that 1 room. I lived like that for over a month durring winter when I ran out of propane. Cooked and all in there to make it warmer.

12 Likes

Which ever your heat is running off of they aren’t allowed to cut it in the winter atleast in the usa and I’m assuming your in a cold area since you are talking about staying warm at night.

2 Likes

Do 1 room like suggested by Tay Heilman . When you get ready for the night, put on all clean clothing if you can. Wool socks. If you have a tent or borrow one, out that in the middle of the room on top carpet. The tent is for sleeping. It will add an extra insulation just vent it out during the day.

6 Likes

In Oklahoma we have a program called li-heap, it stands for something to do with heat air and utilities.They basically help you twice a year with utilities as long as you qualify. Hopefully in your state or area they do the same thing. The best advice I can give is to layer up. Make sure any gaps under doors or windows are covered or blocked. And as someone else suggested try to block off one room. I’d rather your child get used to sleeping downstairs in that room and being warm than dreading going back upstairs to the cold. Good luck

1 Like

What do you use for heat? If oil, you can go to the gas station and get diesel fuel to add to your oil. It’s not ideal, and not necessarily something I’d do all the time, but it’ll hold you over for a little bit. I always put plastic on my windows along with heavy curtains or a fairly light blanket. If you have any windows that receive a lot of sunlight, make sure you open the curtains in the morning and close them as soon as you start to lose the sun. I used to do that and it would actually keep my livingroom warm up into the night. Space heaters can be great, but can also be expensive on your electric, so just be mindful of that. Boiling pots of water is also a great option, the steam/ humidity it creates helps heat stay in the air. Leave your oven door open after cooking, whatever heat is left, will just escape into your home. If you have your own washer and dryer, there is a box you can get to vent your dryer into your home. I had one in my apartment years ago. The lint collectors in that box. Anyway, the heat from the dryer also stays in the home, so as you’re drying your clothes, your simultaneously heating your home.

5 Likes

Turn your oven on and leave it open

2 Likes

See if you can get a space heater from someone

4 Likes

Call 211 & they can direct you to places that will help you.

6 Likes

Maybe a small cheap space heater for your child’s room ? Or the common area of the house?

Call churches. Call department of human services reach out. Talk to the principal at your child school. Reach out to people. At times when your in a huddle need to seek for help. Ask your family if you and your baby can stay with them until your heat is back on.

1 Like

Some electric and gas company’s if you phone them will put more credit on until you get paid :blush:xx

2 Likes

You can call your local dhhs

1 Like

So will you be struggling all winter with this? I worry for you

2 Likes

Do you have any sleeping bags?

Every state has an assistance program. Go explain your situation before someone riding by on their high horse calls CPS on you.

In the meantime, grab blankets and do as others suggested and camp in one room. Focus on keeping that one room warm. Cut back on light and tv usage and save that electric for your heat.

Sending prayers for you!

7 Likes

There’s a tea light and tera cotta flower pot hack that can help warm up a room with no electricity.

As far as I know, they’re not allowed to cut off any utilities during winter. Canada :canada:

2 Likes

Close off all rooms that aren’t in constant use, see about getting some space heaters. Also, reach out to your local department of social services, local churches etc. Here in MD, we have Community Action Council who offers energy assistance. Check for those services in your area. With COVID, a lot of agencies have received additional funding for assistance. Reach out to your utility companies and see about an extension. Even if you can’t set up a payment plan, explain to them that you’re seeking energy/heating assistance. A lot of companies will work with you, especially with the pandemic.

3 Likes

Get off your pride and ASK for help! Not everyones going to offer and many will dam you as a bad mom. But you will find many who will help, and that’s what you need.

4 Likes

If you let your school know a lot of times they will be able to help with utilities.

How much is your gas/electric?

If you have a microwave, heating bottles of water to place in pillowcases or wrap in towels to place under the blankets will also help, but if you lack electricity then that is not an option. The only idea I have is to wear multiple layers of clothing, along with layers of blankets. If you have a small amount of funds you can also buy the hand warmers (the kind you pop to activate) placing them in your socks and gloves. Also huddling together under the blankets will help to keep you warm. Unless there is a reason for sleeping downstairs on the sofa, such as a fireplace, then sleeping upstairs, huddled together in the bed, will serve the same purpose. I hope that your situation is resolved quickly. I have been in the position that you describe and this makes life almost unbearable. All of my children were adults and weren’t living in my home, so I only had to concern myself with me. As others have recommended reach out for help from local sources, such as churches, the Salvation Army or call to see if the electric company will work something out. If your area gets below freezing, they will usually be required to find a workable solution, at least until the temps rise above freezing. Best of luck. I will say a prayer for you.

Upstairs is warmer than downstairs - heat rises.
Wear layers and use layers of blankets/comforters. Layers keep you warmer by trapping air and insulating you. I keep my heat set on 60 in the winter because I hate the way it causes sinus issues when I run it. These are the methods I use to keep warm.

Put a tent on top of the bed and line it with blankets. Zip it up cover up and sleep the tent will keep warmth in and it’s fun

6 Likes

Local department of health and human services will help …good luck :+1:t2:

1 Like