What age did your kid start school?

My personal opinion:
School is not like it used to be. In kindergarten they are expected to go their first day knowing much more than what they were expected to when we were kids. If they skip pre-k they may be a little bit behind their peers, or that was my experience with my oldest. I taught him a lot at home before kindergarten but still he seemed to struggle in a structured learning environment. For that reason I sent my second to pre-K and he doesn’t seem to have the issues my oldest did. Again, just my opinion.

1 Like

My daughter started daycare around 2 and stayed all the way up until pre-k, she’s 5 now and she started kindergarten this year

Both of my kids were 5. My daughter did go to preschool and pre- K, but with my son, I was a SAHM so he didn’t go to pre-K. Both of my kids thrive in school. My daughter is now in 9th and my son is in 5th. There was no difference at all in their acclimation to school, or their work habits. They both learned to read around the same age, etc. I’d definitely suggest part time pre-K if your child has separation anxiety or isn’t around other children much.

Preschool 3 and kindergarten 5

Pre-K is actually a good thing … it helps kids socialize and prepare for kindergarten

1 Like

I feel my son has gained a lot of social interaction and trust in that I’ll always be back to get him and he started daycare/preschool at 2 1/2, it took a few weeks of having to just hug kiss and walk out the door no matter how many tears, but now almost a full year later, he’s made so many friends, he loves going to school and he just had his very first sporting event and he’s not the kid whose clung to his mom he’s out there with the coach kicking the ball and having so much fun and I honestly believe it’s because of putting him in a school environment and knowing mommy isn’t going anywhere or I’ll always come back

Daycare from 14 months old, up until she started proper schooling at 4 and a half, she’s now 11 and starting high school in a few months, she’s younger then all her friends by a year or more but she’s okay with that. Son started at 5 he’s also a year younger then his class mates, he’s in grade 3 and younger daughter started at 5 and again she’s the youngest in her year 1 class

Mine all started at 6 and they did preschool and pre kindergarten

I did preschool for many reasons with my younger three. I felt that it helped them a lot more with separation anxiety, independence, following directions, schedule and routine, etc. I especially feel that the hardest part for my older ones who I didn’t enroll in Pre-K was leaving my side after so long being home with me, having all day in school, and having no need to wait in line nor follow directions of someone aside from mama for so long. I did preschool at age four and kindergarten at age five. I taught them their main skills like reading and writing at home because I had the time and I wanted them to be prepared for school but the schools do help teach that as well. The best thing is to have them know their ABCs and recognize them (best way is A says ah, B says buh, etc) as well as their numbers. It helps tremendously when they begin. Just make sure you decide what’s best for you and your family and not what was best for others