What age is considered a toddler?

I say toddler until in kindergarten :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

A 4 year old is a pre schooler and unless medical related should be potty trained. Teachers at school will not be changing diapers, again, unless there is a medical condition.

6 Likes

1-2 toddler 3-4 preschool. My daughter started school at 3.

Infant until 18 months, toddler 18 months till 2 1/2 years old , preschooler at 2 1/2 -5 years old :slightly_smiling_face: (I work in a daycare and this is what ours is).

Once they start walking they are toddlers until 4

1-2 is a toddler as they are literally toddling around finding their feet. 3-4 is preschool xx

1 to 3 toddler , 4 preschool and k5 is child aged. At 5 they start to look more like a child rather than a toddler or baby. I worked in pre k and most 4 yr old are not completely potty trained. They still have accidents. We use pullups that the facility bought .potty training has nothing to do w being a toddler. It’s their cognitive abilities that sets them apart from a toddler.

4 Likes

Preschooler but still a toddler.

1 Like

I don’t consider my 4 year old a toddler she is very capable, independent, potty trained, knowledgeable, and mature for her age. No way I’d compare her to the toddler she once was.

1 Like

Neither of you use google?

1 Like

I say 2-4 is a toddler too! School aged is 5 plus

4 is pre school technically but who cares…

I would say 1-4 myself

I always said 1-4 is a toddler and 5 plus is school aged

3 Likes

I’d consider a 4 year old a toddler still. I’m pretty sure google says toddlers are age 1-4.

1 Like

1-4 toddler 5 and 6 preschool

2 Likes

Imo 4 is preschool. 3 toddler

3 Likes

I consider it a preschooler

My pediatrician said 1-3 year is a toddler and 3-5 years is a preschooler. My son is 5 and on his last year of preschool. You really can’t put titles on kids anymore because they all grow at there own pace. Every kid is different, never compare.

2 Likes

I’m not sure my 5yr old I considered a kid (school age) at 4 because she was in kindergarten lol. Now my youngest is a baby forever idc he’s about to be 2. Toddler who. No he’s a baby​:sob::rofl:

1 Like

A four year old is not a toddler lol

6 Likes

Up to 1 is an infant, 1-4 is toddler, 5-12 is school age, 13-18 is teenager, 18-24 is a young adult, etc.

3 Likes

Well, when you buy kids clothes it says 4T which means Toddler. So there you go.

1 Like

I consider a 4 year old too old for diapers.

6 Likes

1-3 toddler. 4 and up is a small child

Four year old is NOT a toddler…

4 Likes

you’re not a kid until you’re 5 in my opinion lol. 4 is the transition year

3 Likes

I always thought a toddler is when they start walking
By 4 I wouldn’t refer to a child as a toddler but :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

I think the real issue here is that his 4-year-old isn’t potty trained… unless there is some sort of developmental delay, that’s way too old to be potty training.

9 Likes

A 4 year old is not technically a toddler.

1 Like

Birth-1 is infant. 1-3 is toddler. 3-5(not yet in kindergarten) is preschooler…5+ is schoolager.

2 Likes

1-2 is toddler, 3-4 preschooler, 5-10/11 elementary ages…

1 Like

Toddlers- they toddle. So after 1 until preschool basically.

1-3 is considered toddler stages after that they’re considered small children

By that logic, my friends autistic 8 year old is still a “toddler”

3 Likes

1-2. 3-4 is preschooler

2 Likes

Why does it matter :thinking:

5 Likes

Toddler is considered 1 year to 3.

3 Likes

A four year old is considered a pre schooler

3 Likes

I’d say after 3 years old they’re a kid and not a toddler anymore

1 Like

Toddler 2-3
Preschool age 4-5

6 Likes

I have been teaching preschool for over 18 years, hv a associates in early childhood development, at 4 they are not a toddler anymore. I even had some 3 year olds in my preschool class. But by 4 they are definitely not considered toddler even if they are not potty trained or behind development.

8 Likes

A four year old is NOT a toddler weather they’re potty trained or not. That’s a preschooler.

6 Likes

toddler 2-3
I consider them kids once they turn 4

1 Like

I think 2-4 toddler.

2 Likes

4 year olds are catergorised as preschoolers

2 Likes

I’ve always considered a toddler ages 1-3. Once they hit 4 they’re considered a “preschooler”.

3 Likes

My husband would get confused because he seen 2t 3t 4t 5t in clothing lol

I say toddler until they’re 5.

1 Like

I say toddler is 1-3

1 Like

Toddler is ages 1-3 then preschooler is age 3-5

3 Likes

Does it really matter? :woman_facepalming:t5::joy:

1 Like

1-2 toddler 3-5 preschool

2 Likes

4 is definitely not a toddler stage anymore. They become little tweenagers. LOL!

From a medical stand point the stages are infant 0-1, toddler stage is 1-3, preschool 3-5, school age 6-12, adolescent 13-18, young adult 19-40, middle aged 41-65 and older adult 65+🤷‍♀️

but I usually say newborn for the first month, infant for like 5mon, and then baby up until 2 :sweat_smile: then I rock toddler from 2 until their 4th birthday then little kid 4-6, big kid 7-9, preteen 10-12 and teen 13-17. Some times my little kid category is more 4-8 and my big kid category is 9-13, just depends on the dynamic of the current groups I am referring too :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

As a former childcare worker, under 12 months is an infant, one to two years is a toddler, three to four years is a preschooler. A four year old is NOT a toddler regardless of if he’s potty trained or not.

1 Like

My 3 & 1/2 yr old will tell you she is not a toddler anymore, she’s a big girl :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think 4 is technically pre-schooler. But the not being potty trained definitely leads me to want to keep him in the toddler category as well.

3 Likes

A toddler is 12 mon to 24mon…

1 Like

Wht do u win lol !!.?

4 Likes

Then tell me why clothing is from 2T to 5T they consider Toddlers up to 5 years

4 Likes

4 year Olds are not toddlers

I wouldn’t cal a 4 year old a toddler. Mine were at school at 4

1 Like

My understanding is it is infant 0-18 months, toddler 18months-2.5/3ish, preschool 2.5/3ish-5 preschool. Then grade school, junior high, highschool

2 Likes

Potty training has nothing to do with being a toddler. I would say toddlers are between 1 and 3.

5 Likes

They could just look it up lmao.

2 Likes

I thought the T stood for tall. Some kids same age are taller than other’s lol

I say after 12 months because they start to walk and toddle around lol

A 4 yr old is a preschooler. Toddlers up to age 3.

4 Likes

4yrs old are not toddlers.

They change from toddler to “big kid” when they turn 5 years old… a 4 year old, even if potty trained, is still a toddler… imho

3 Likes

4 is not a toddle they are pre schoolers

A toddler is like 1.5-3/4, so if your son is just turned 4, he’s growing out of the toddler phase and into school aged at 4/5…once old enough for school, they aren’t toddlers and 4 is pre school aged. I’m on the fence, so many aspects would make my decision.

1 Like

4 should be potty trained

4 Likes

Defiantly not a toddler at 4 years old

That 4 year old need to be potty trained

2 Likes

I still call my 6 year old a toddler lol

Not a toddler at 4 and yes he should be potty trained

1 Like

My husband is still a toddler lol

11 Likes

2 to 3 I would say toddler, 3-4 preschoolers.

2 Likes

I call my 4 yr old my toddler he’s been toilet trained since he was a yr an a bit

I considered it until they were out of T clothing
Like 4t
Or 5t
If you still fit
You toddle
You’re a toddler

2 Likes

My grandson is four and potty trained . I call him my big boy

4 year olds are considered “preschool” aged, not toddler aged

4 yrs are preschoolers. Potty training status doesn’t change their age classifications at all.

2 Likes

My middle child is 3 (turned in September) I don’t consider her a toddler because of how she acts. My youngest is a year and 4 months so he is a toddler and my oldest is 6 and havent considered him a toddler in a long long time. I thing it depends on alot

How freaking important is it!!!

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can sympathize with the 4 year old not being potty trained. Some kids face big learning curves and intellectual disorders that make it hard to teach/learn to use the toilet. My son has ADHD/Autism/ODD and he was almost 5 before he was fully potty trained and even now at 7 he still battles frequent accidents (moreso at night)

Toddler means kids that are toddling…as in learning to walk or a new walker. 4 is definitely not a toddler, that’s a preschooler.

That being said, I see lots of pretty opinionated people about the potty training of a child who isn’t theirs and they know nothing about. So e kids don’t take to potty training as easily as others, every kid is different and sitting here saying what the child should or shouldn’t be doing is pathetic.

My 3 year old can read and spell completely, does yours? Well they should because mine does.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

6 Likes

I’d say until 3 but it’s really not something to debate over.

Hey my great grandson was way potted trained by 2 now 5 I call him little man :heart:

Toddle on their feet or walk…? Walker’s are kids.

Why is this even an argument? :woman_facepalming:t3:

Why are you debating something you can Google :joy:

2 Likes

In my opinion, when they turn 5 they are no longer a toddler
However technically I think it’s like 1-3 yo are toddlers

4 Likes

Isnt it basically until they walk regularly? Like 3 or so they stop being a toddler. The word itself is toddle, meaning to almost fall over

My 4year old definitely isn’t a toddler lol even when he was still in nappies

3 Likes

1 to 3 is a toddler. You can’t change that lol

1 Like

I always went by basic child care daycare centers as they grow out of the room and move onto the next stage.
At a daycare center they are teddy bear infants until they crawl- then a rainbow till walking- then a jellybean until pre-k- then grasshoppers ready for school!! A toddler is Considered the crawling and walking and skills building stage and goes to about 4-5 when they are transitioning for school!

3 and under are toddlers.