What age should a child attend a funeral?

My son went to his great granparents, only because he was the only great grand child. I’m happy they made it that far. He was only 12-18 months old at the time

They don’t remember when their baby’s :roll_eyes: so that’s fine and I think when they know what death is like 5-6!?

I took all my children to my grandma’s funeral they were 4 months, 2 and 3 years. It’s truly up to you.

Theres no age limit. If it’s for family, then they should be there. I personally wouldn’t take a newborn or infant to one if inwas able to find a sitter, but children should go too. They need to know what’s going on, and learn about their feelings and closure. Death is part of life…they should learn and know about it.
Also, kids make people feel happy…seeingbthem play reminds those still here that life goes on.

Depends on the age you think they can handle it. Mine was 4 when she went to her first one and handled it pretty well imo.

My son is 3 and he went to my husband’s cousins viewing last week but we didn’t bring him to the funeral. Hes a little too rambunctious to sit through the prayers and the burial

depends on who died. if they child is going to ask about that person then the child should go. I took my 3 year old to a friends visitation/memorial service at the beginning of this year, he had a 9 month old, 6 year old and an 8 year old so I knew his girls would be there too. they took my daughter to the casket and show her their daddy. I simply explained to her that he was in heaven and this was a party to celebrate him going to heaven. you don’t have to over think it with kids.

Babies cheer people up! Bring em!

I went to my first at 8 everyones different x

1 Like

They Shouldn’t be a age Limit,

I attended my mother’s funeral at age 9 and I think it messed me up worse than if they would’ve had me miss it honestly.

2 Likes

Any age. They need to be exposed to real life shit.

It all depends on how close you and child are to the deceased. Child may decide for self not to go.

2 Likes

I took my daughter to different ones. One she was a couple weeks old, i stayed in the back, and the second one when she was a little over a year old. It just depends on your feelings and how understanding the family is. They are apart of the family so i believe that they should be included.

It’s upto the parents.

Kids are very resilient munch more than we are my
Son lost his father at 7 and I took him to the funeral not the viewing

1 Like

I went to my grandmother’s when i was 3 all i remember was a lady in a box. 18 next one our neighbor man.

My son was about 18 months when he went to his aunts. My daughter was 7 attending the same funeral. There is no “set” age, it’s what you as the parent are comfortable with and whether you think your child can handle it.

I have never heard anyone say they regret attending a funeral. However I have known of people who are still upset today that their parents did not let them attend a funeral/funerals when they were younger. I think any age is ok. All kids should know about death and they all deserve to say goodbye.

2 Likes

I went to one when I was about 10 and my Dad took my brother and me outside after a while but, we still stayed at the funeral. My brother would have been about 7 and we both didn’t have any problems with it.

It’s up to you as a parent. I was a yr old at my grandpa’s funeral. My kids were little at several funerals. I wouldn’t take them to a friend or associates funeral but family I would say yes. Death is a part of life and kids need to learn it eventually.

2 Likes

Great question! I really think nothing before 13… give them a chance to not ever ever have to think about that until they get to the age where they start thinking they are invincible and know everything… let them be innocent and joy filled for as long as possible. I do not allow my children to attend funerals. My ex doesn’t agree. I think it’s morbid and unnecessary to subject them to that.

I dont think theres an age. I’ve taken my kids at various ages (newborn, 2, 4, 5, and 7). You just tailor what they can see, where you sit, or what you say to them differently.

At the funeral a week and a half ago, my 5 year old and 7 year old say through a visitation, church service, and burial. Lots of prep work and talking to them about behavior beforehand

My 13 y/o just lost his great grandmother this past tuesday and his family had funeral on Saturday and he handled it all perfectly well until people started to talk about her life and music played then he broke down and cried alot. Then pulled himself back together to help carry the casket(which he chose to do)… He is such a sweet young man. And i think if the child understands what death is then it all depends on the age. Like my daughter is 5 and i wouldnt dare take her to 1

I think it depends on the child and the relationship they had with the deceased. My kids attended the funeral of a family friend at aged 6 & 7. Because they knew him but weren’t super close it actually helped open the door for REAL discussion. When my grandfather passed away last year (when they were 9 & 10, they understood the funeral process and weren’t confused about what was going on while also mourning the loss of a man that they loved.

1 Like

Depends on your feelings about it. My daughter had her first funeral when her grandma died at 2 years old and had her second when her papi died when she was 5. My dad was cremated when my daughter was 4 months old, we didnt have a funeral.

Death is a part of life although I personally don’t believe that I would take my young child to a funeral. I feel no need for my children to see a lifeless body. It is no longer the person who was here to love and be with them. My children lost their father at 2 and 3 and 10. I lost my other half. I attended the funeral for his family and friends. I decided to leave my children with my parents during it. I afterward went home and answered all questions with the best answers I had. They understand death and I explained that it’s something that happens to everyone. I didn’t feel any need for them to see him that way. He didn’t look like himself and it was a dark and gloomy day. Everyone was in despair. I still see him as he was in his coffin, cold and lifeless, No longer the big tan man who had the best smile I had ever seen. We will visit the grave site and leave flowers in remembrance. I have a book full of pictures and memories we look through often and we talk about their dad and all the great memories. As for not taking them to the funeral I have no regrets. We will always hold him in our hearts and memories.

1 Like

I was ten I had to leave was very upset

Open casket? Memorial service with great stories from the person’s life? Family members weeping, wailing & throwing themselves on the casket or fighting with/mad at each other? People angry about the death or accepting? Person in an urn? Will you also go to burial, spreading ashes?

Depends on the atmosphere as to whether your kid will be OK or traumatized/upset ba. just sad, but most funerals celebrate life and are less somber.

You can also choose to go to a viewing/family visitation, sit shiva or wake & have the child skip the actual funeral if they’re too little, antsy or loud.

I would say any age if it’s the funeral of an immediate family member
Anyone else it would depend on the child’s behavior and maturity

1 Like

In my opinion it would depend on who is the deceased. If it was a close loved one then I would take them. If it was a friend or co-worker then I would say no

1 Like

I went to both my parents funerals. One at age 2 and the other at age 4. Still remember them

Years ago children didn’t seem to go to funerals. Our family lived to a great age so first one I went to was my Dad’s. We knew about death though ,up to the Individual they know they know there child best
But had a friend who lost her sister was her first funeral,for a long time all she could think of was the coffin

I just took my kids 2 & 4 to my grandmother’s funeral. 2 yo didnt know where he was. 4 yo just kept asking me why she was sleeping and he hes the most observant kid I know. Always the first to point things out and ask questions. Kids need to know what’s going on and not be shut out of reality!

I would keep my child away from funerals as long as possible. If it is a close family member would be the only exception. I took my then 3 year old to a funeral for a close cousin and she cried and it gave her anxiety about death.

I took my two kids with me to my dads funeral. They were at the time 2 and 4. I’m so glad I did because it was the last time my momma got to see them before she passed away a month later. My son was good a quiet. My daughter sat beside my momma and held her hand. Even wiped her tears and hugged her when she needed. I honestly don’t think my momma would have had a better comforting presence without my daughter there.

Depend who or if they want too not force I was 9

We just encountered this situation this week. My brother n law. 55 massive stroke. My sister & him raising grandson who is 7. My sister took him alone the morning of service. He didnt want to be there. My great niece who is 9 did well but did get restless. I also am a firm believer of not taking an infant or small child who is disruptive during the service. Thats just RUDE!

I think it all depends on the child and what the parents are comfortable with. Regardless I believe that a discussion should take place about death with the child.

1 Like

it COMPLETELY depends on the child.My DAUGHTER was born a wise old soul and 5 was mature enough.

2 Likes

Well obviously it depends on a lot of variables. So, look at all that is involved, and make the appropriate decision.

Depends on family relationship. I have never kept my kids from a funeral for family. They need to have a chance to say their goodbye

3 Likes

I agree it depends on age. My kiddo went to his first funeral at I believe 9-10 years. Before hand, we gave him an explanation on what a funeral was and what would be happening. We told him it would be sad, but the person was in a better place, etc. We gave him the choice after explaining. He has told me since then, that “funerals are sad and make you miss the person, but they are necessary for closure, and I want to hold your hand if you cry” my 11 year old chooses to accompany me to funeral I attend to be my rock. Phenomenal child. :heart::heart:

2 Likes

I believe death is a part of life that can happen at any time and children are never to young to learn about it. Taking them could prepare them should God forbid something happen suddenly to someone close to them, but each parent chooses to handle death with their children differently.

4 Likes

A funeral is one thing . that would and should be up to the parents as know their child best . a viewing is quite another .

I’d say it depends on the family member. When my friends dad died she took her 5 year old. That was his grandpa. And they were very close.
When my great aunt passed away my daughters great great aunt I didn’t take her. I didn’t think it was appropriate. Just depends what you think is ok.

1 Like

Depending on many things. It it’s a relative, how close they were, can the child behave… Just my thoughts

2 Likes

I have taken my children to funerals/weddings since they were born.

7 Likes

I say when they are old enought to relize whats going on i say bout 10

I have never had the option of a sitter, where I go my kids go.

1 Like

I struggle with this, I’d say teenager, and mine even upper teen years

If the parent thinks that it is important for the child to go there is explanation needed!

My son choose at 4 to be allowed to say goodbye to his grandfather…we explained what would be happening and let him choose after we discussed everything with him.

It depends on a lot of things. It depends on the age of the child, the relationship they had with the person, it depends on how the child behaves. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

There is no set in Stone Age. Every family has to decide how and when they will teach their children about death. This is another life event that is not a one size fits all.

I took my kids (12,9&6) last week for my grandpas funeral :disappointed: my oldest 2 were comfortable my 6 year old was just asking why her grandpa was in a box :disappointed: its hard to explain to them i didnt took them to the cemetary afterward because i disnt want them to see “the box” being burried :disappointed:

I was 5 at my first one. I didn’t understand what was happening but it didn’t scar me or scare me

If it’s a relative’s funeral then I don’t think there is a certain age. But like so many others have said, it really depends on the child and how they would respond emotionally. I really think they need the closure and letting them know that the person won’t be coming back.

That depends on the child… My grandmother died when I was 7 and I wasn’t allowed to go to the funeral. I remember that I was upset about that because I missed my last chance to say goodbye. But Every kid is different.

2 Likes

I feel 10 is probably the best age. They are better able to understand the concept of death. Especially, if it is an open casket service. I have known younger children that were taken to this type of service and they ended up having nightmares for weeks afterward.

That would depend on who it is. When my grandfather passed, we took the older kids 7-10 years old but I left my 4 year old at home with a sitter.

I went to my brothers when I was 4. Death is a natural part of life and kids should learn about it.

Depends on the child. Mine were small when we went to their Grandmother’s. I had to explain a lot to them but they got to say good bye

It depends on who the funeral is for, and how mature the child is. My son was 2 for his first funeral and it was my husband’s grandmother who he and I were very close to. He was totally unaware of what was happening and it was a nightmare. I wouldn’t suggest it. But when he was 9 we lost a close friend (someone he cared very much about) and he was able to process what was going on.

It depends on the child. My boys were 11 & 13 when my mother-in-law passed away. I gave them the choice to go and if they didn’t want to they didn’t have to. My oldest wanred to go and my youngest wanted to go to school.

If they are past nap age it’s good for a child to learn how to appropriately deal with the loss of someone going and walking up to a casket r two different things

I think it depends on the relationship between the child and the person who died. I was 7 when my mom died and the day of her funeral I was given the choice to stay with all the family’s other kids or go. There was a Nintendo I stayed. To this day I believe that was wrong. I should have went and I’m kinda mad still that I was given a choice.

If you do take them please be respectful and don’t let them watch movies during the funeral. My cousin let his children do this at our grandmothers funeral and had them in the front row in front of her casket it was disrespectful and rude. The volume was so loud I could not hear what the Preacher was saying about my Grandmother it was all most of us could do to not say please have some respect and take your kids out. It was really that bad. I think children under 5 really do not understand in most cases. These kids really did not want to be there and would have been much happier somewhere playing until after the funeral instead of taking away from such an important moment from us trying to tell our grandmother goodbye them being there made a hard day even more stressful.

Depend on who it is. My father passed 12 days,after our granddaughter wad born. He never saw her. My daughter brought her. This was her choice.

Depends on the kid … i was 5 and was ok some kids arent . Also I believe someone who osnt close to the child should he the first they attend … when it is someone close it can be very overwhelming

Every child is different and it depends on how emotional situations affect them. Unless it’s a parent or grandparents I wouldn’t take them until they are at least 8 or 9 or 2 and under.

If its family any age. If its not maybe when they are 3 or 4

Anytime you decide your child is ready and you think they will cope with it

It depends on how close you and child are to the person.

Never children don’t usually understand that ritual a funeral is no place for a child

Children should be given time to mourn WITH their family. A child who is not allowed to mourn the death of a loved one develops unhealthy coping mechanisms.

7 Likes

Death is part of life, I feel like they should attend a funeral at whatever age they need too. I took a 4yr old to his aunts funeral and we just didn’t go up to the body viewing.

4 Likes

I took a Early Childhood Class and we toured a funeral home. They said they should come and see the whole step. So no age limit.

6 Likes

It’s traumatic for some kids may be best to remember happy memories
Each child is different

I don’t remember how old I was exactly but it was fairly young but my mom took me to one of someone I knew but wasn’t really close to
And then took me out and let me ask whatever questions I had to understand then she started taking me to them

1 Like

My uncle passed in September and i didn’t have anyone to watch my 3 yr old and 1 yr old so i asked my family if they would mind if i brought my kids because otherwise i couldn’t come. My family loved the idea and said having my kids would help cheer a lot of people up and make some people smile. I talked with my 3 yr old about what he was going to see and that he could go up to my uncle to talk to him if he wanted to but that he didnt have to if he didnt want to. I said my uncle had gotten a bad booboo and that his body stopped working and thats why he was lying down and he will not open his eyes and cant talk. I brought toys for both my kids and would occasionally bring them into the back room so that they could play and my family could have their time alone to grieve…they were very well behaved. My son wasn’t uncomfortable at all (because he didnt fully understand) and he went up to my uncle and said “goodbye uncle joe i love you” when we went to leave.

3 Likes

My first was at five and back then they closed the casket in front of the family and it freaked me out I screamed no no no Babi can’t breathe freaked out everyone . This was in ’62.

1 Like

I dont think their is a limit my one and three year old sadly attended their great grandmothers funeral just a few months ago my three year old made everyone cry when she saw her tho… she grabbed her hand and said “nana wake up I miss you”

3 Likes

Depends on who’s funeral it is.

My son was 4 when he went to my grandmother’s funeral. He was fine.

1 Like

Our 6 month old went to my husband’s grandfather’s and when he was 8 months old he went to his godmothers

1 Like

I think it depends on the maturity of the child and the relationship of the person to the child. My daughter had been to my grandpa’s funeral when she was about 6 maybe and that was it until she went to her fathers this year and she’s 8. I do not intend to take her to anymore unless it’s an immediate family member and she wishes to go

I don’t really think there is a suitable age… Up to the parents I think. My daughter went to her first funeral when she was 2 months old and has been to plenty in her life… the last one being only a month ago and she is 7yo now. upto you whether you think it is suitable for your child or not :blush:

1 Like

It depends who funeral it is. If they were close/know the person well and depends on if they want to go. Talk about it if they can and c how they feel about it.

Depend who’s funeral, my daughter was at her father’s funeral at 2 years old, having family to entertain her outside the chapel helps.

My daughter went her first funeral at 9 months old; she’s gone to two more since then! It’s good to expose them to stuff like that so they can understand it more. My parents did that with my sisters and I and I’m glad they did; people I’ve known who haven’t gone to funerals until they were adults don’t know how to handle death or where to put their grief. My first funeral was at 1.5 years old.

Death is part of life. We grew up next 2 a cemetary. They did cremations n we smelled it. It was part of life. I was 9 whenst my favorite aunt died n i realized that death actually meant i would never in this life C her again. WHAT A BLOW !
There was a grand organ they played every sunday n hollidays. I LOVED it n would not trade it 4 nothin. Part of life. Grow… Better than them thinkin u held them back from thee experiences. :pray: :v::princess:

Any age… they too should mourn with their family members just like everyone else

I don’t think it depends on whose funeral it is. I think it depends on how your child will act. My kids went to funerals very young, and they sat, and behaved. I’ve seen some kids at funerals who act like undisciplined apes, and irritated everyone that was trying to get closure and grieve. So it’s all up to you, the parent, to decide if your kid can handle sadness and boredom, or not.
Jmo.

This is kinda long so sorry ahead of time but from my experience I think a child should attend a funeral even if they don’t understand, I lost my grandfather and didn’t seem real to me because I wasn’t there but this past Halloween I had to let my father go because he couldn’t breathe and no oxygen for 15mins. I had to decide in 2 days if I was going to allow my children to at least say goodbye including my 5yr old so they don’t question if if their grandfather really pass I wanted to give them that goodbye and now that he’s gone I’m going to allow them at his memorial so they can understand, also death is part of life and it can happen unexpectedly to anyone so my opinion any age is ok to let a child attend a funeral because even though they might not understand it will help them know more about it as they get older and know it can happen to anyone

I think it depends on how close they were with the person that passed and if they understand what death is. If they can handle it, I don’t think age matters. It has to be respectful of others mourning, but if the kid gets it, they should be allowed to say their goodbyes too. Sorry for your loss

Small children have no idea what’s going on at funerals, so it’s pointless to say you took your 1 year old :woman_facepalming:t3:.

My kids have attended both of their great grandparents funerals at 6/8 and then at 8/10. They were sad, they didn’t want to talk about it. They helped my parents deal with the loss by adding a little light for everyone there. I think it’s important that kids aren’t sheltered from life and death. Too many kids are coddled these days, and they don’t know how to deal with life when they are released into it unprepared.

It’s important now more than ever, bc people don’t just “respawn”, kids need to know that. They also need to see the impact people make on other people’s lives… it’s a good lesson in the legacy you leave behind.

1 Like

Death is apart of life. The only issue I have is if it’s someone outside of family and your child isn’t of age to say keep calm then I’d nix taking them you wouldn’t want to have a melt down from having to sit still and quiet.

1 Like

I really think it depends on the child and their understanding. I was 3 when I went to my grandmother’s and I still remember seeing her. Apparently I did really well.
Last October my paternal grandmother passed and it was really hard, and it effected my son alot. He still will start crying randomly over her being gone (his great grandmother) he is on the spectrum and death was a hard thing for him to grasp at first. He kept thinking people just came back, like in a video game. On the day of the funeral we went and my husband kept our kids with him in a room they had for children, and my son made the decision that he wanted to see her one last time. I was really nervous about this but the look on his face…he just wanted to say goodbye one last time. I took him to her casket and I thought he would break down, but instead he smiled and said ‘wow she looks so pretty’ we stayed there for a few minutes and I asked if he wanted to go sit down he said yes, but took one last moment to look at her and said ’ i love you mammaw, I hope heaven is fun for you’
And then he sat down. I was seriously impressed and he still tells me he is glad he got to see her especially with her pretty make up on because she looked like sleeping beauty :sob:
We did explain everything in detail many times before it happened so I think he was prepared for it.

I was 4 years old when I went my my grandma’s funeral and my mom took me up to see her. I was allowed to ask any questions that I needed to know. If your child is old enough to understand tell them in a language that they understand. For me it was that the Lord builds a house for everyone and when he sees a child who don’t have anyone to cuddle with and get love from he uses the people staying in the houses to take care of them and they become angles for the children. Im 24 today and I still remember that story like it was told to me yesterday because I was very close to my grandma and found piece within that story. I still told my grandma then that she could take my teddy with her to give to a child and that she can come and take some of my sweeties anytime she wants​:innocent::upside_down_face: