What are my legal options for a co-owned property?

I need your input. The family and I are in Branson for the week for Easter break (spring break for anyone not in Louisiana. We are a different breed…)We have been here a couple times before, but during our first visit on a couples weekend, we screwed up and purchased a timeshare with another couple. We got a big discount and some extras because he was former military and a retired police officer. However. Our payments were split 50/50 with them, regardless of the discounts. We had all been friends for 20 years or more, and were all married for that or nearly so. We felt safe doing this.Problem is, they divorced and he is now getting remarried. She hates us. She has never met me, but I was until recently blocked on fb. She has no desire to meet me. She has met hubs and both my kids, but does not care if she and I ever grace the same room. To be transparent, we moved out of state 7 years ago. We stopped visiting our “home town” when she came along, as my boys were made to feel unwelcome, and they are more tolerant and less vocal than I am.When we lived there, our home was the social center for our large group of mutual friends. Now it’s their place, apparently. I’m hurt for my husband because his best friend is getting married this month. And he isn’t included or even invited. We only know because the she unblocked me in January (after 2 years of hating me) and posted a wedding countdown. I am fully convinced this was done in a backbiting and f-you manner. Hubs is less convinced. But I digress. We are in a replace where we technically co-own a property but we are in a hotel. When I asked hubs why we were here instead of the resort, he said they may need or use it for their honeymoon. Which he only knows about because she unblocked me. Not him. What are my legal options to claim our co-owned property we bought with the last wife, when a new one is stepping in soon?

85 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What are my legal options for a co-owned property?

Idk but I’ll be using my share of that house whether she likes it or not. Maybe she feels threatened by you since u knew the 1st wife.

40 Likes

Their loss. Good riddance to bad rubbish :wastebasket:

50/50 so I’d be using it as well especially if you’re paying for it. To spite them, I’d use it the week of their wedding lmfao but I’m petty as hell :joy:. Claim “look we aren’t friends so I was unaware” :woman_shrugging:t3:. You could also buy each other out so you give up or they give up their half of the property rights.

52 Likes

New soon to be wife is nothing as of yet!!! Get out of it now while you can, or tell the bf of this woman to take care if his business!! Or pay you your share because you want out!!!

7 Likes

Um, timeshares have a tenant calendar. If they haven’t reserved it for their honeymoon then you can. Quit tip towing around trash. Your husband needs to give up on that friendship because that’s not friendship. Also if they’re not getting married right now then their honeymoon isn’t right now. So why are you in hotel RIGHT NOW???

As Im.moving to Branson. I live 1 hr n half there right now. I think I’d cut my ties with them ppl. That’s just me though. I don’t deal with toxic or bitter people.

6 Likes

Lawyer up. So not talk to them about it first. Find out what the lawyer says to do and do that. People often trap themselves in situations that could be really easy but trying to work out the situation without understanding their rightsfully or understanding when they’re infringing on someone else’s rights and it can cause a really big problems. Your best and least expensive option overall is to contact an attorney and discuss everything with the attorney and then move forward. You may not need the attorney to complete the transactions but you need the advice of an attorney to make sure you do it right or you could be screwed.

20 Likes

Watch grace and Frankie :rofl:

In all seriousness- get a lawyer.

2 Likes

Get a lawyer. I would think before the marriage goes through the better, but I’m not a lawyer and have no idea about timeshares.

4 Likes

Ugh. So many opportunities. Grown and not grown. She doesn’t like you because you are friends with first wife and did couples things. She’s intimidated. Me. If wife number one and me were friends. Depending how their marriage ended and if well deserved… we would be planning a girls night ironically the same weekend as their wedding :joy: she’s had you blocked… the husband KNOWS he’s in a legal ADULT contract with this place and as courtesy SHOUOD say “hey, I’m going to be at place these dates…. “ but…. You guys are blocked… you don’t even know about a wedding. Ballzy if he were to take new wife here without communication with the other three part owners. Chances are if you two were blocked she for sure is to and probably doesn’t know. Idk myself I’d want to AVOID those situations if I were in his shoes and I’d make the right calls and texts respectfully that I would be occupying.

11 Likes

Lawyer up and cover your basis

3 Likes

Get a lawyer and get out of that contract. Never would I pay for something I’m not using.

6 Likes

Wow……what??? Shouldn’t the ex wife also have claim…new soon to be is unimportant

11 Likes

Does the ex wife have ties to the property, or was that part of the divorce? I’d offer to let your friend buy you out.

5 Likes

Don’t stoop…to her level. Offer a way out of title for all and thank the Lord you are spared such a spiteful meanspirited person. Move on.

6 Likes

I would get a lawyer and find out how to get out of the timeshare. I wouldn’t want anything to do with those people. There are other nice places to vacation. I’d find one and go there. You sound like nice people. You could make new friends in no time.

9 Likes

You need to find out who owns the property now that they divorced. If the ex wife still has legal right to it and you’re on good terms with her, I’d ask her if she wanted to buy you out of your share. Otherwise I would get a lawyer.

10 Likes

I’d be there right now, you have just as much right to it as they do. F them, make them buy you out, and pay you back everything you’ve put into it, and then some :woman_shrugging:t3:

10 Likes

Talk to a lawyer. Those time share contracts have some wicked clauses designed to confuse the average person.

6 Likes

So are you still paying on a resort you never visit…contact a lawyer…or even have your hubby text his old friend to say if they would like to buy you out

Do you guys have a written agreement
Do you guys have proof of this agreement at all ?

This is tricky. Since it costs money to remove names from timeshares, I’m guessing the ex-wife’s name is still on it and the current wife’s is not. If this is true, then you and your husband need to sit down with the other owner to determine what to do. Hopefully, the three of you can resolve this amicably.

Since all of you own the timeshare, all of you should have the right to use it. Perhaps agree to use it in alternating years to avoid the new wife. You could also sell your half to them, but if you do that, insist that your names are removed from the deed so you’re not on the hook if they stop making payments.

If there’s no amicable solution, you’ll need to lawyer up. This is a very sticky and complex situation. Good luck.

10 Likes

Have the guy, your husbands ex friend, buy out y’all’s share in the property. If you want to be done altogether. Ex wife should still own her portion as well.

7 Likes

Honestly, get a lawyer. Ex wife likely has her 1/4 of the property as well. Contact her. The three of you sit down with a lawyer and come up with a plan.

5 Likes

Lawyer up !!!
Sell your part or buy theirs , you should not be paying a resort when you already have somewhere to stay . You and your husband have the same right to be there.
If they are planning to stay there for their honeymoon as a present you should stay there as well and ruin their time there :rofl::rofl:, I will take my kids, mom , nieces and nephews, friends etc

19 Likes

ɪ was ᴛᴏʟᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴀᴄʜɪᴇᴠᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ ʙᴇɢɪɴs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴄɪsɪᴏɴ ᴛᴏ ᴛʀʏ. ɪɢɴᴏʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴅᴇsᴛʀᴏʏ sᴏ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴏᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴜɴɪᴛɪᴇs. ɪ’ᴍ ᴀ ᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴍ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴡᴀs ᴄᴏɴᴠɪɴᴄᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ᴍʀs Lisa jennifer sʜᴇ’s ᴀɴ ᴇxᴘᴇʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʟᴇɢɪᴛ ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ sᴏ ᴍᴀɴʏ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴛᴇsᴛɪᴍᴏɴɪᴇs ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ ʜᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀɴʏ ᴘʟᴀᴛғᴏʀᴍ. ᴄᴏɴᴛᴀᴄᴛ ʜᴇʀ ᴡɪᴛʜ ɴᴀᴍᴇ ʙᴇʟᴏᴡ
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

You’d need to take whatever contract you have to a lawyer. His divorce may have left both of them with partial ownership or one with all of it. It will be a mess, but this new broad has no business keeping you from your property, and legally can’t. You can show up with an officer and they can’t do anything about it.

4 Likes

Get an attorney that specializes in property.

3 Likes

I’m so excited now I can at least pay my bill and take good care of my family Thank you Mrs Lisa Jennifer for you have brought happiness to me and my family through your experiences in Cryptocurrency hit her dm on how to invest

2 Likes

One decision change my life! I decided to act on faith instead of fear. I’m now reaping the rewards of that bold step and making more money than I could even imagine all thanks to an amazing lady Your work speaks volumes of the kind of woman you are thank you so much for the profit you are really transparent to your investors

2 Likes

You inspired me during a difficult time when I needed word of encouragement. You really don’t know how much help you have rendered to me and my family thanks so much ma’am Your work speaks volumes of the kind of woman you are thank you so much for the profit

2 Likes

My last paycheck was $17458 working 20 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out.

For Details >>>> https://fizcash12.netlify.app/

3 Likes

The ex-wife owns the time share. Not the new one. He would have needed to buy her out or legally transferred to his sole ownership. You would have been notified of that change. The new wife has no legal claim. You should be enjoying the resort. The best friend is allowing her to treat you guys poorly and that should be enough to end the relationship.

19 Likes

My last paycheck was $18935 working 20 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out.

For Details >>>> https://fizcash30.netlify.app/

1 Like

Get a lawyer and stop paying

1 Like

Guilt trip and shame the husband for abanding his life long friend for a piece of ass that’s going to ( mark my words) spend through his life savings, cheat on him, and leave him high and dry within the first 2 years.

Use YOUR TIMESHARE and quit letting this pathetic new woman think she runs anything!!!

18 Likes

I would not stop paying until you know for sure what’s going on because this could make things way worse just talk to title company in that’s town where time share is on Monday morning and get it straightened out and then see where you stand :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: beat of luck and the lord works in mysterious ways maybe this will end in a way you did not think possible for the good best of luck praying for your family and friends wishing you the best outcome really happy Easter

2 Likes

Get in touch with the ex wife and join forces! Get a lawyer also!

15 Likes

Who’s ever turn it is to go this year go, don’t let them take your year.

6 Likes

You will probably have to find a new buyer for the timeshare. Here’s some information from NOLO about timeshares with a link on how to find an attorney to help you. Can You Cancel Your Timeshare Purchase? Here's How to Do It. | Nolo

1 Like

I wouldn’t stop paying until you talk to a lawyer on what to do. If it’s yours as well you can use it whenever you want. Doesn’t matter what they say. Your name is on it. Until one of you buys each other out then it will remain in both your names. Or sell it. Those are gonna be the 2 opinions.

4 Likes

Use it. Y’all paid half. If they want to honey moon then they can rent them a room.

6 Likes

Get a lawyer… don’t pay . Or have them buy you out . Did the ex wife get the time share in divorce or did he get to keep it … or u have to find out thier arrangement… book your week before they do …

2 Likes

Every state is different. You need to get your contract out and have a lawyer go over it.

2 Likes

It depends on who got the property in their divorce proceedings if it was even mentioned in it. Buy them out or sell your share to them or get together and sell it altogether or share the allotted time….that is about all you can do. You didn’t say why she hates you so much so this is a one sided story right here. Too sad for your husband but hopefully these two best friends can continue their friendship without their wives interference. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Definitely don’t stop paying as you would most like lose your part. Ex wife owes part not new. Get a lawyer.

2 Likes

You may want to look at the contract an see if there’s any thing that will help you thank!

Take them to court make sure you have a good lawyer

Get a lawyer and take them to court. Stay in there whether it is their honeymoon or not it is half yours. Tell them if they want it, to buy you out. Give no discount and no favors💯

1 Like

Well that’s difficult because there are three owners, his ex, him and you guys. Now if there hasn’t been a settlement then you could approach her and then have a majority share or you could ask the other party to buy you out.

1 Like

The new wife isn’t part of the original agreements so technically you don’t have to allow her there, but her husband will likely allow it. It’s going to be a big problem. Offer to sell to him, or use it and if she shows up, too bad for her.

1 Like

Im from Branson. You will actually have to find someone to buy that timeshare. Or have the bestfriend buy you all out. And he can deal with selling the share. Get your contract and look over it. There maybe a loop hole to it so you can get out of it. Or you yourself could sell the share.

Your contract is with the dude and the ex wife. It has nothing to do with new-boo. Stop giving your time away and stick to the written contract. Either that or sell your share to new-boo