What are some things I can do to get my 9-month-old to sleep through the night?

Please help. My nine almost 10.month old has never slept through the night. He would never breastfeed, so I exclusively pumped but dried up at five months and stopped. He still eats 16 oz a night of formula. He wakes four-plus times a night, and most recently, he won’t nap. Most nights he’s up till 1 am. I’m absolutely exhausted to the point of tears. He’s always been a good baby, but now he’s always whiney cause he’s so tired. He won’t transition past soft baby food. He’s been on soy, and regular, and tried various formulas. We have added cereals to his night bottles. Absolutely nothing makes a difference. Please give advice. I just started a very psychically demanding job unloading semi-trailers, and i can’t live on no sleep anymore.

6 Likes

2 of my 4 didnt sleep through the night until they were 3-4 years old. Like would get up every 45-3 hours for 3-4 years. It sucks

1 Like

How active is he during the day? Put him in a bouncer for a little while before you want him to go to bed. He may just have too much going on. It can definitely be exhausting and I wish you luck with it

1 Like

Make sure he’s getting a lot of interaction during the day and that you’re playing with him a lot during the day to get him tired. Take him on a walk. And if he isn’t walking yet try to practice walking with him (holding his hands and walking around with him). Just tucker that boy out.

1 Like

My 9 month girl is the same. She is a bugger as she struggles with food, puree…nightmare my two boys transitioned fine with their food :woman_facepalming:t3: so she is up 4+ times in night and guzzels entire bottle. Literally just started her on boiled water hoping to train her into sleeping through. Also I’ve always played music through you tube for the whole night too.
Consistency is key!!! (My 2 year old still doesn’t sleep solidly through the night so but my first has done sinse 20 weeks :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:) I know your pain. I’m saying boiled water!! :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

is he out of a crib or playpen crawling or walking around or is he cooped up all day.??? If he is cooped up all day sitting & not playing, running/crawling around, I can fully understand why he won’t fall asleep. Also fresh air works wonders

He might be teething. If he is in discomfort, you get teething stuff.

Mine didn’t sleep through until 14 months

Goodness I couldn’t imagine this. My one year old sleeps 10-12 hours straight at night and takes 2-3 hour nap during the day. I keep him busy all day but I also trained him early to self sooth and put himself to sleep. I do not rock him to sleep and honestly he doesn’t want me to… It sucks but u may have to let him cry it out. Or when he does wake up change him and give him his bottle and leave him alone in his crib to put himself back to sleep.

2 Likes

My kids are 5 and 3 and I still fight it lol I had them down and the past 6-9 months it’s like I have newborns all over again. Its driving me crazy lol

1 Like

16oz. At night. He may need some real food. He may be hungry.

4 Likes

Try feeding him real food. My son had an appetite like I’ve never seen before. We fed him mashed potatoes and gravy or mushed veggies mixed with formula to make the texture like baby food. We also gave him soft food he could pick up and eat himself. 30 minutes before bed we dim the lights and turn down the tv. At bath time we used J&J lavendar bath followed by lotion all over. Then, he liked to listen to a heart beat sound. Our daughter preferred the static noise. A sound machine was our best purchase.

Get a Professional sleep therapist

My 8 mo old is the same way. Doc told me to feed food 3x a day, making sure the last feeding is less than a hour before bed to fill her tummy. It doesn’t work. She still wakes 4-5 times a night for a bottle. I swear she eats more at night then she does during the day. A friend suggested a white noise machine, that it worked wonders for their child to sleep thru the night.

My son didn’t sleep through the night until 18 months old. A bedtime routine is good and we started sleep training at a year old.
Also my pediatrician recommended this site https://www.babysleep.com/

1. Have you voiced your concerns with the doctor and has the doctor ruled out everything medical that could be causing these issues?

2. To me, and it’s been a long time since I’ve had a 10 month old, but 16oz of formula with cereal at night seems like an awful lot and then with laying him down right after could be causing him to have a tummy ache or reflux. Both of which could be causing him to wake so often.

3. I would try to change his eating schedule so that he gets the majority of his calories through formula but during the daytime hours. And only add cereal to formula to bottles in the early evening (at the latest) when he will have the opportunity to digest a bit before being laid down with a full stomach of liquid.

4. When he wakes up 4 times at night… does he eat every time? If so, stop that and try to soothe him in other ways.

5. Are you going to him too soon and not giving him the opportunity to settle down on his own and fall back to sleep on his own?

6. I wouldn’t be surprised with all of those ounces if he needs a diaper change often in the middle of the night and this could be something else that wakes him up too.

1 Like

Sleepyhead changed our life’s completely and before anyone starts it’s each to their own!

Best thing is to wait a bit longer. Kids will get it eventually. But 9 months is still too young for most. Two of my kids would do the occasional night around 20-22 months. My youngest is 4 and still wakes up every single night at 3am for a drink and a pee. Then back to bed.

His tummy is still very Tiny. It also emptied very often. Not all kids sleep though the night at that age. Mine sure didn’t. Hang on momma this too will pass.

Keep him active during the day. If he insist on having a nap have it late morning timed for only an hr. Put in stroller n go for a walk before bath n bed

My son didn’t sleep through the night until about 1 1/2 years old. And even still he wakes sometimes and he’s 2 1/2 now. And that was not from lack of food. All kids are different.

My two year old and 5 year old still doesn’t sleep throughout the night…

1 Like

My 2 year old has slept through the night since 9 months :woman_shrugging: the only thing I did was give her a bottle right before I was going to sleep n kept her going
Good luck x

We sleep trained at 4 months and she’s slept through the night since. Occasionally will wake up through the night but quickly puts herself back to sleep because we stopped going in immediately and waiting till she cried for about 5 minutes instead. She rarely ever cries that long and usually it’s just from her stirring. Maybe try letting them cry a bit before going in

Try taking the banana jar food and mixing it in bottle for night

I put rice cereal in the bottle and opened up the hole, he slept all night with a full tummy

Every kid is different. Id mention it to your doctor and see what they suggest.
My daughter didn’t sleep all night until she was eight and a half years old. Now she’s a sleep champion but it was a long eight years.

Hire a sleep expert. Most kids don’t sleep through the night because they’re either getting too much sleep during the day or not enough sleep during the day. Get black out currents, put a fan on for some white noise. Make sure the routine is the same every day.

Routine routine routine! You both can get sleep through the night, he is not too little! I would do a bedtime lotion, then pjs, then a book or song, and then try and rock him to sleep. He will still get up through the night but try and do feedings in the same order so he knows that after he eats its time to go back to sleep. Ex. Diaper change, eat, quick song if needed, then sleep. Imo, consistency is key!

Wow, 16 ounces is ALOT for night time. Maybe he’s being overfed and has upset tummy?

Sounds like there’s more to it…take the little guy in…he could be having digestive problems…put ur foot down and make sure a.pediatrician give him a good looking at

My second boy was like that… he still to this day doesn’t need as much sleep as I do… he never has… i got him into a routine where he’d play quietly in his crib or bed and stayed there and fell asleep. He’d fall asleep about midnight and wake up at 5am… and be up all day… it gets better!! And easier mama! I promise! Some kids just don’t need as much sleep as others… he also didn’t sleep through the night til he was a year old. Apparently its kinda normal. :frowning:

No advice as my school age children don’t sleep through the night.
Just hugs and patience your way momma.

1 Like

Co sleep?
Give baby some porridge before bed to keep full.
Patience :disappointed_relieved: my girl didnt sleep through till around 2 properly

Put the baby in bed with you, when you sleep.

Get the book save our sleep.
It worked perfect for my son i stuck to it and he was great.
I did adjust the times to suit me so if it said 6 i might have went 7 so then moved all he times forward to match.

My son never slept through the night till he was 18 months … I was like a zombie lol … I just kept the water for his milk ready to go all the time . And went back to sleep :joy:

Have you tried a warm bath before bed? Let him soak in warm water to relax him. And 16oz is alot for 9m. I have 5 kids and none have ate 16oz at once. But then again my kids are thin.

16 oz.!!! Omfg maybe he has a stomach ache!!

Bottle with cereal can be helpful at night.

1 Like

It could be the 8 month sleep regression? In which case it’s just a phase - a totally hideous one! But it will pass, I promise.
My other suggestion is perhaps he has a touch of silent reflux? My little boy suffered from it and we found that (very slightly) tilting the head end of his cot and using anti-reflux milk really made a difference.
Keep on keeping on Mama, I hope you (and him) get some sleep soon! Xx

Ask for help. A family member, a friend, something to give you a minute sounds like you’re burnt out. Warm bath with lights dim, massage with lotion, bottle with cereal, cuddle, quiet voices and no bright lights or sounds, and into bed. When he wakes in the night make sure he’s very awake before you answer him, keep lights low or dark, keep quiet and no talking. Look up tips on YouTube and Pinterest as wel

Does he have white noise in his room?
Is the pattern of waking the same each night?

Sleep training!!! Definitely time. I like the Ferber Method

Limit to 2 naps a day since
Also some kids just do bottle as a source of comfort so you should deff try a pacifier!

I lay my baby on a Tempur-pedic pillow that adjusts to her body and makes her feel like she’s being held without it being a risk of suffocating

I would make a little bit of chamomile tea or chamomile vanilla tea and use a little in formula.
Doesnt help to go to sleep, but helps to stay asleep

We do bath, warm 8oz bottle of milk and a white noise machine, I swear by those things! Idk what it was but my son didn’t start sleeping through the night until we started using it.