What are the side effects of birth control?

Okay, so I was on birth control for five years. I felt like I didn’t have any side effects like mood swings, but I’ve been off for three years, and I definitely do feel calmer, I just recently got an Iud a week ago, and the “crazy” came out again. Just not being able to hold back the comments, and it’s like it just consumed me, I couldn’t just let the situation go. Has anyone had a similar problem while on bc, or am I just crazy…

34 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What are the side effects of birth control? - Mamas Uncut

Not crazy at all! Hormonal birth control can cause a whole lot of side effects- I was on it for 10+ years and experienced extreme weight loss, major anxiety, that “crazy” feeling of not being able to hold back anything. Talk to your doc about non hormonal options. It was a life saver for me.

5 Likes

I have the Mirena one and I LOVE it! I was cramping so bad and my bleeding has stopped. I havent had a period in almost 2 months! It DID take my body a bit to get used to it though like a good 6-7 months… im not as moody, I have actually LOST weight and have been able to keep it off and best part was that my last period was one day… id definitely talk to your doctor though it sounds like it might not be for you! I had the one in my arm before this and my body rejected it pushing it
OUT of my arm :roll_eyes::woozy_face:

2 Likes

It depends on how old you are. I was off birth control for 10 years. Got back on it after birth of my daughter at 40. After six months, I developed a dvt (deep vein thrombosis). Blood clot luckily did not travel to my lungs or heart. Lodged in my groin.

1 Like

I had to go with the non hormonal iud because the hormones done me the same way they made me absolutely crazy I had the non hormonal iud for 8 years before I got my tubes tied and I never had any issues at all with that one.

2 Likes

My daughter was on 4 different b/c before we found one that worked for her. It was crazy, cuz most people dont put 2 and 2 together. I quit taking birth control 12 yrs ago, and i refuse to take it anymore. I didn’t even realize a difference until i was off it.

Yes. And weight gain along with some blood clots. Hormonal BC is not safe for everyone to take.

3 Likes

Usually an IUD is just a local hormone, and shouldn’t mess with you too much. Please discuss with your healthcare provider.

When I was in the arm birth control thing, 5 years, I had really bad mood swings, weight gain. And my period would only come sometimes. Thought I was going crazy too. But it was the birth control, been off ot since November, 9 months already, I feel normal now, my periods are normal now, and no mood swings. And I am trying to lose weight. Still working on that

Yes, i had to get on nonhormonal BC to feel human. Plus on antidepressants.

Its the hormones in the BC. That is why we get moody and have attitudes when our natural hormones go up, especially before our period.

I can’t resist - no baby

There are many diff kinds of birth control pills. If one kind bothers you, ask your dr to prescribe a diff kind. I wouldn’t trust any other kind of birth control except tubes tied or hysterectomy

1 Like

Hormones will effect your mood. Talk to your Dr and see about different types of birth control. I used the patch and was a complete psycho.

No children,comes to mind.

I used to be hateful when I was taking an oral contraceptive. Once I switched to Seasonique oral contraceptive, I don’t act/feel that way. Talk to your doctor!

2 Likes

I had to switch to the copper IUD due to side effects of others

I got the copper IUD about a month ago after being on the pill for 10 years. I feel alot calmer and less anxious

1 Like

Birth control pills made my migraines worse.

When you say “birth control” do you mean the daily pill? Or the implant? Does your IUD have a hormone?

You’re definitely NOT the only person that HAS happened to.

Birth control is different for everyone. I had the implant now for 8 yrs. On the second one of course. I don’t have mood swings. I don’t get my period. I might spot every 5 months or so. So it all depends on the person.

Different forms of BC have different side effects.

Great info. Now I know

I can’t wait to change mine! I’ve been bleeding, moody and weight gain on it

I have the depo shot and I gained weight

Well I had the copper IUD ( no hormones) . Never took hormone birth control it gave me migraines.

Every birth control affects people in different ways. Unfortunately you’ll have to keep trying different ones until you find one that fits you. Some people say they can’t deal with pill while some say it works for them. Same goes for the ring, the patch, the T, etc.

What the heck is an lud I now about iud but not that and an intro uterine device has nothing to do with your hormones what so ever. I think you need to talk to your GYN doctor and figure out what is going on with you mentally.

I was same had to stop.

I completely lost my sex drive while on the pill. I tried the mirena and it felt like my uterus was being crucified… it had dislodged, and it gave me a bacterial infection that cleared up with antibiotics. The hormone crash at the end of the pill cycle always made me cranky. I hated me.

I use a Paraguard iud, no hormones. It works and I don’t have emotional fluctuations.

I’ve been on the depo shot for almost 10yrs and luckily I didn’t experience any negative side effects from it. Haven’t had a period for as long as I can remember and I get my blood work and such done every year just to make sure I’m still good. I’m going to take it till I can get a hysterectomy because other birth control hasn’t worked for me at all.

I had a Mirena and I had to have it taken out. I was a moody, crazed lunatic.

I was on BC pills for 10 years because my periods were horrendous and they were never regular. I’d go weeks without one and stress I was pregnant. The only issue was my body was creating more hormones to fight off the pill so I’d have to change it constantly because I was bleeding between periods. Other than that, I absolutely loved the pill and wish I could have stayed on it. My periods were regular, cramps were tolerable/non existent at times, bleeding was minimal. I got off the pill and got a copper IUD. My cramps are so severe, I hit the floor every time a wave of them come on. I bloat like a pufferfish now. My periods are heavier and now back to being irregular. I’m already 2 days late and although I know I’m not pregnant, it’s still really annoying wondering when it’s going to come. I never had any issues with “crazy” on the pill or off it. It was always an issue with my periods only. My acne also got worse getting off the pill and I’ve been back and forth with a dermatologist to see how to control it. Everyone’s different and everyone’s body reacts differently to BC forms. I would speak with my gyno. Maybe they have some suggestions on why it’s happening or how to control it.

Having no kids? LOL

No never bothered me