What are the signs of depression and anxiety?

Can you post a question for me, please! Can someone please tell me what anxiety/depression feels like? Is it just mental, or does it affect your whole body, etc.! I think I may be going thru this, just not sure cuz I have opened up to no one!

22 Likes

Everyone’s experience with depression and anxiety is different. Talk to your Dr!

1 Like

I feel like it affects my entire body. I get tired, weak, emotional all of it. I’ve struggled for years and about 6 or so years ago I finally got on some meds and have now realized that I may need them the rest of my life. That being said I feel amazing now. Once in a while I have off days but for the most part I feel great. Feel free to message me if you need to talk or just need someone to listen. I’ll be here for you!

Anxiety is fidgeting, lip/inner cheek biting. Breathing heavy for no reason. Caring and not caring about anything and everything at the same time. Panic attacks can come with anxiety too. It mimics a heart attack. Rocking back and forth. Pacing. Etc. I have all these.

Depression is tricking. It can make you feel sick for weeks if not months on end. It’s being sad about things that are out of your control. Sometimes it’s nerves that are misfiring in your brain. Others it’s trauma, like when and how my brother passed.

Having both is hell.

Anxiety/depression feels like helping everyone else no matter if you’re in a worst situation because you know how it feels and want them to not have to worry how it feels. It’s making plans to do the dishes but don’t because you don’t have the energy to. It’s keeping a smile on your face and laughing and joking, but behind closed doors you’re crying.

Definitely talk to ur Dr. I have anxiety and depression and it takes a bit to figure out meds for what works or not

It affects my whole body and mind. It’s a struggle.

1 Like

Whole body! You will be tired for “no reason”. I have severe anxiety and am easily agitated. I am also exhausted after hours of interaction with a group of people. I can’t take multiple sounds at once much less multiple conversations. Open up to your primary physician. He can help or refer you to someone who can. DO IT! Meantime, we got your back! Talk to us so we can help. Gladly message you my phone # and you can call any time! Don’t let it get really bad. Go to the ER if you have any thoughts of self harm or get way down. No judgement! We love you!

1 Like

They can both hurt you emotionally and physically. it is different for everyone.

It all depends on the person, however myself and a few people that I know, if effects our mood, our body and getting tired or sleepy all the time. Definitely talk to your doctor. Dont let it get bad because it might do more harm then good if you let it go to long. Best wishes to you

Mind and body. Your body follows the brain so if you’re in a funk mentally, it can affect you physically as well

It effects everyone different my daughter can’t breath with her anxiety. I get anxious overwhelmed with mine. My depression makes me not want to do anything at all. I do not leave the house I don’t clean or cook. I have good and bad days. The weather is also a factor for me. Go see your dr. Also see someone talking about what’s happening helps not shame in it.

Yes i have thatvcause im retired nurse who fell and cant work due to gip and knee surgerys .so i am.on vistarils and and flexarils.and a little cbd

Entire body. I ended up in the hospital a few times thinking I was having a heart attack.

Your entire body. Personally, when I feel anxiety I feel like Im freezing cold. The stress from prolonged anxiety not only causes insomnia and decreased appetite, but also IBS. Depression can become debilitating to where I either dont want to get out of bed or I cant sleep for days at a time. There are times when things get so bad, that I feel like I need to get back on my antidepressants and anti anxiety medication. Some people require meds all the time, others are capable of recognizing when they need meds and are able to use them temporarily until they feel better. There is NO SHAME in feeling like you need to get professional help and get on medication if whatever is going on is interfering with your life. Biggest thing for me that helps me tackle depression is positive inner dialog. I’m not nice to myself when I’m sad or anxious and even if I don’t believe what I’m saying I try to say positive things anyway and it helps my thought processes manifest that into truly believing so. Kind of a “fake it til you make it” attitude. I literally have to make a conscious effort to instill positive thoughts in my head or out loud because depression will make me think things that are untrue. Positive inner dialog. Stay positive and nothing will stand in your way. Look for opportunities in obstacles.

1 Like

Entire body I get hot flushes palpitations and ibs

Get help see you’re gp before it takes over .

Anxiety stops you from even trying and depression puts you in bed and can’t care.

5 Likes

Anxiety can feel like you can’t sit still and depression can feel like moving through molasses. You definitely feel it in your body

Anxiety is over thinking n thinking abt things tat dnt even exist it controls ur over all mental n physically sometime u may even go through panic attacks where u feel u r drowning fast heart beats :heart:

It is definitely different for everyone.

3 Likes

It CAN affect you physically. It’s best to get professional help. Learn coping techniques. Anxiety and depression affect people differently.

1 Like

Hair loss tummy cramps headaches probably a lot more too

It most definitely affects your mind and body i deal with anxiety alot with panic attacks mostly at night its a shitty feeling

Pretty much anything. Anxiety is normal but not high levels. Depression has levels too. Many ppl can be diagnosed as depressed but go to work, take care of their life etc. Seems to be the norm.

1 Like

When my anxiety kicks in, I overthink, my heart races, im irritable, i have difficulty sleeping and it feels like I cannot catch my breath. If im depressed, all I want to do is sleep. I cry for everything, internalize every issue i have, i want to be left alone while laying on the couch for days

It can literally affect every aspect of your life…physical symptoms include too much sleep or not enough, loss of appetite, fatigue, nausea…it takes a toll on your entire body :pensive:

3 Likes

Depression feels like life is worthless in the sense of using your energy to do stuff and constantly questioning yourself why you would.

Anxiety feels like you’re not using enough energy even though you ran out a while ago but don’t want anyone to know

2 Likes

It effects everything from your mind to your psychical health and your mood. There’s lots of different symptoms that manifest but mostly you’ll have a lack of energy to do anything.

4 Likes

Loss of interest in almost everything but wanting to be included but not wanting to be. Mad at the world but feeling sad about what is going on in it. Comes in all forms. Just open up and talk to people about it so it doesn’t consume you

7 Likes

No two people are alike. It affects people differently. Please please please seek help!! Dont feel scared to ask for help…

1 Like

Hopelessness, fatigue mentally and physically-always in your head. Social isolation…I could go on. And yes it can effect your physical body as well as mental. It’s different for everyone

2 Likes

You feel it everywhere,and anywhere… There is 6 types of depression so some will get pains like migraines while some may not have that at all…Its different for everybody!Some need meds for the rest of their lives while others only need meds temporarily! You can have a hormone imbalance to which makes it worse!

When you cant deal with the even the little things in life, when they become overwhelming

1 Like

They are different with different people. If you look on a few medical pages they should be able to help. Someone may not have ths same as you or may have the same…

If you think you have it, you do. Seek help :heart: Take care of you.

It feels diffrent for everone

NAMI has a warm line you can call if you need someone to talk to or need help with symptoms…

(844) 326-5400

1 Like

Depression is a mental thing but its also physical. You feel no desire to do anything you love doing, even something as simple as reading. But it can also feel different to other people, some get angry, some are productive, hell sometimes you end up in crying fits. Just depends. If youre unsure of anything, you should always call a help line, like the one mentioned above.

1 Like

My depression makes my whole body feel heavy, it makes my mind feel murky and i lose motivation to do absolutely anything. If feels like i have no energy to do anything but feel weighted down and every once in a while i will get the energy to cry but never enough energy to actually smile or laugh. When i do move its like my body and mind are moving through thick mud and its frustrating but also tiring to be frustrated about it. I end up thinking horrible thoughts about myself but not having the energy to think positive ones.
My anxiety makes me pick at my fingers and lips without realising it until i feel pain or the warmth of blood. It makes me feel a pit in my stomach and a weight on my shoulders. It makes me go quiet and become extremely alert and aware of myself and my surroundings. Ill suddenly forget things about subjects i love and know, and stumble over my words which can make me feel even more nervous about possibly being ridiculed.
Its different for everyone but these are mine

Watch, “I had a Black Dog, his name is depression.” Its on youtube and explains depression very well. All the best

Anxiety is like fight or flight mode. Your heart races, you feel panicked/worried. It can sometimes cause chest pain and fast breathing. Mine causes heart palpitations sometimes.

8 Likes

It feels like you’re drowning but everybody else around you keep breathing

2 Likes

I have read the comments and please if you feel any of these symptoms talk to someone.

1 Like

For me, I will suddenly feel irritable and overwhelmed for no apparent reason.

It can affect your whole body and it can affect people differently. Some people with anxiety have a fast heart rate and feel nervous or fearful, some get agitated, some have racing thoughts, dizziness, inability to sleep, panic attacks, etc.

Depression can feel like a lack of motivation, loss of appetite, lack of interest in things you once felt interest in, wanting to be alone, etc.

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and have been in and out of depression for many years. Even for me it, the feeling and emotion varies.

Both are technically mental illnesses (that need much more attention and for the stigma around them to disappear!)

2 Likes

Anxiety can cause a panic attack. The first time I had a panic attack I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the ER. Chest pains and heaviness, felt light headed and adrenaline, like I really thought I was going to die. Now I also get a different type of panic attack which starts in my spine, it starts burning and spreads out until it runs up my neck to my head, out my arms and down my legs. Those started after seeing a person get shot. It’s really scary when you don’t know what’s going on in your body. I went to my physician and had many tests that all came back negative. Then I saw my psychiatrist who explained that there are several different types of panic attacks. Through counseling and medication you can become better at controlling and minimizing attacks.

Different for everyone, unfortunately.
For many, not interested in anything they were always interesting in.
(I mean depression.)

Anxiety for me is like a brick on your chest but once you know it’s coming you can will yourself through it. Major depression is wanting to kill yourself but you live for others regardless of your feelings. Please get help if you are depressed!! No answers on here can answer your private and personal battles. Please reach out and get help, you can get better I promise. Fed Up With Your Lies And Cheating please give suicide number. Ty

I suffer from both pretty bad so you’re not alone!

1 Like

Entire body, including internal organs.

Anxiety can come in many forms and yes you can feel it all over your body

My heart was broken. I never believed I would get back my ex again until Dr Ezekiel brought back my ex within 24 hours with a powerful love spell. He is reliable for positive result contact the spell caster for love spell I assure you things will turn around for you

Go talk to your PCP or a counselor…

It is different for everyone. No one can tell you what is right for you. Seek professional help

Basically I’ve had it since I was 4yrs old and I just deal with it some days are ok others are just so bad don’t want to even get out of bed however I just deal with it for me I don’t like telling people cause the truth is the don’t give a fuck plus don’t like people looking at me like I’m pathetic.

I believe this is heredatry, I,ve suffered depression most of my life used to take meds but thy only made things worse. I.ts a daily battle I make myself do at least one productive thing a day

It’s a nightmare for sure I feel this way all day everyday lately

Depression is a dark void where you are numb. Just so numb.
Anxiety can feel like your heart is going to pop out of your chest and your brain is going soooo fast and it’s just out of control.

Anxiety and depression come in so many forms is insane. Depression can come in the form of feeling tired/exhausted all the time, not being in the mood to talk to a log of people or hold a conversation or an extended amount of time, not be able to decide even on the smallest thing like what to watch on tv (that one happens to me all the time), its not always feeling empty/sad/depressed even though those are the most common and strongest symptoms. Anxiety can be in the form of irritability, uncontrollable emotions, watching the same show and movies over and over again because it’s familiar and you won’t have any surprises that scare you/trigger your anxiety, feeling shaky, feeling like you can’t control something/everything, not being able to ground yourself (those three are probably a panic attack), also feeling mentally drained, and the big ones; extreme nervousness over even the smallest things like asking a simple question, doing something like throwing away a banana peel in a meeting, etc. the list goes on. If you think you may have a mental disorder I kindly suggest you see a psychiatrist to get diagnosed. We all love you and hope you can resolve this soon. Mental health issues are never easy.

1 Like

I can’t speak for everyone but mine affects me physically as well as mentally. I feel exhausted, I ache all over, I get an ache in my chest and stomach. I also can’t eat when I’m feeling really low.
If you think you are going through it please speak to someone. It took me a long long time to get help and I wish I had done it sooner. Lots of love to you x

3 Likes

From a personal experience I can tell you that it can be physical, but it is also mental. You can have an anxiety attack which can include rapid breathing, sweating, rocking back and forth, heart palpitations, nausea, dizziness, shakiness, hyperventilating, over/under sleeping and sometimes it’s none of these physically… It could just be stillness. And that’s not even touching on the mental symptoms, which includes racing or unwanted thoughts, low concentration, feeling agitated, fatigue, restlessness, confusion, insomnia… Although I think those last two kind of counts as physical…

4 Likes

i have been battling bipolar/anxiety etc for years and it is mental but it will also affect you physically. example with anxiety attacks it can almost feel as if you are having a heart attack or stroke. like you break out in a sweat and get shaky , cant breathe … panicky . depression affects people in different ways it can have physical affects such as headaches, insomnia, back pain , some sleep alot, others eat alot or have addictions to drugs or alcohol. can make you feel overwhelmed, extreme sadness . some times you get bursts of energy, and other times it feels like you have a hangover. that is just a small amount of symptoms.

1 Like

Lack of appetite or only eating your favorite foods, fatigue, suicidal thoughts, feelings of hopelessness ect. Depression can absolutely display itself physically as well as mentally. Depression can also be situational, this is why it’s important to see someone so that they can help you figure out the root cause. Symptoms differ from person to person

1 Like

Depression, trying to answer this but deleting everything because you feel a lack of emotion or pride in yourself.

2 Likes

I have anxiety since my aunt got her bypass surgery,she is very close to my heart since my mom left this world when I was just 3, since then she took care of us,so It was very tough time for my entire family,since then I started getting anxiety and panic attacks,it is both mental and physical,physical it includes palpataions,sometimes breathing issue,it feels like a heart stroke at times,muscle pain,tremors in body,and mentally it leads you to think everything negative,like you will die,youdont have anyone for u,nobody needs u,u are suffering from disease,so what I do is when I get attacks I speak to my friends or whoever is available coz u can’t sleep when the attack happens…so to get rid of it have control on diet,meditate,get busy,meet friends,love more,give more expect less and stay humble

3 Likes

Facebook is not the place for a diagnosis. Please seek professional help.

I have suffered with anxiety and panic disorder since I was a child, but I didn’t even know I was depressed until I doctor told me based off symptoms I didn’t think I was because I wasn’t sad.
Depression; loss of interest, guilt, apathy, hopelessness, mood swings, sadness, excessive sleeping, insomnia or restless sleep, Poor appetite, eating too much or too little, Weight loss or weight gain, suicidal thoughts, fatigue, social isolation.
Anxiety; Hypervigilance, irritability, restlessness, lack of concentration, racing thoughts or unwanted thoughts, fatigue and excessive sweating, excessive worrying, fear, feelings of impending doom, nausea, heart palpitations and or trembling. In my experience anxiety that is constant also causes stomach pain. It can also cause all over body pain from all your muscles tensing up from the anxiety itself. It can affect your bowel movements, it can affect your eyesight, and if you have it all the time it can affect your day-to-day life and how you are able to live. It’s not something that is easy to go through and it does affect your physical health so I do suggest you see your doctor as soon as possible and maybe talk about a treatment plan.

Yes like driving to store see all the people panic and leaving, after hyperventilating, sweating, and in tears

It can affect your whole body

Affects your whole body. Been dealing with both since I was little

1 Like

It’s different for everyone. You should reach out to your doctor for sure.
It can definitely affect you physically. Especially if you are going through a panic attack or something like that, but your doctor will know best.

1 Like

It can affect everything

It can feel like u having no motivation, easily irritated, sad, not wanting todo anything

Anxiety can be anything from just uneasy feeling about something to having cold or hot flashes shaking,numbness or tingling in your arms fingers upset stomach, racing heart. Depression can be alot too tired and no will power to do tasks, unknown reason of sadness, lethargy etc. I have anxiety and panic attacks they have gotten worse over the last 2 years some days i cant do anything and others are manageable. Hope u get some answers and help!

1 Like

Definitely your whole body its turing me into someone I dont recognise its horrible

Also lack of interest in doing things that once brought you happiness/joy. Not just a bad day down in the dumps feeling.

For me I had bad postpartum depression and anxiety I went to crisis and was also diagnosed with ptsd. Lack of motivation, loss of pleasure in activities, etc etc. I remember a professional at crisis told me how I had a long life ahead of me and I have my beautiful daughter to keep me pushing and it sounded dreadful. Every day is overwhelming and it feels like you can’t get through.

1 Like

It’s definitely different for everyone. For example my anxiety turned me into a raging bitch that my head feels like it’s going to explode. I don’t have the anxiety that keeps me worried. My anxiety was triggered when I’m overwhelmed, my daughter not listening, and when someone pushes my buttons . My depression was very crippling and alls I do is sleep. I got help and have been off antidepressants for a few years now. But definitely reach out to your doctor.

Spent 2 years going from specialist to specialist, trying to figure out physically what was wrong me… only to find out it was severe amounts of stress. I didn’t recognize it but my body sure did.

It affects me mentally and physically, I get to where I have to force myself out of bed just to go to work there was a few MONTHS out of last year (before I got my job) where I would NOT get out of bed unless my daughter needed something it’s sleep insomnia it’s not having motivation to do anything even the smallest things or the things you love to do it’s not eating even when you’re hungry it’s wanting to cry at the smallest inconvenience it’s doubting yourself a lot I started drinking and partying and doing drugs before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and depression and anxiety led me to it I wanted to feel the high or the buzz to feel SOMETHING anxiety it’s overthinking too much it’s doubting anything and everything it’s coming up with random scenarios in your head or replaying a conversation thinking what you could’ve said different it’s feeling your stomach turning or feeling like you’re going to be sick. I grew up with severe depression and anxiety it never really goes away you just accept it and live with it and you try to better your life to feel like you’re doing better it is not fun it is not a trend it is a living hell. I tell my own mother if it wasn’t for my daughter I do not think I would’ve made it to 20yr old because of the substance abuse I put myself through.

1 Like

It can definitely affect your whole self. Tired, aches, head ache, appetite, etc. Just know there is NO shame in seeking help. It’s better for you and those around you. It never hurts to talk to a professional.

1 Like

It can definitely affect you physically, fatigue, hair loss, acne, etc. please consider reaching out to someone for help, sometimes even a few sessions with a therapist can be helpful

Its different for everyone but it can affect you mentally emotionally and physically and more often then not tend to feel drained or tired a lot hair loss sometime panic attacks as far as anxiety goes racing heart or sweaty hands heart palpati you can have racing thoughts hard time focusing ect if you think so is going on go see a dr and see what they tell you

It effects your entire body and mood. I’ve been dealing with this since I was little I get a prescription that I take everyday and makes me feel normal and happy

Depression and anxiety both in themselves can be complex or not. It varies from person to person. I would speak with your doctor if you aren’t feeling like yourself. I have both and medicated to act “normal” in that I’m able to do my job at work, and parent my kiddos. When I went through my darkest phase , prior to medication, I couldn’t get out of bed physically/mentally. There are so many triggers for me. And symptoms I have, If you need someone to open up to. Definitely message me. I know what it feels like to not feel like yourself! Your not alone! And there are prescriptions to help! Hang in there!

Each are to your own individual experiences no one experience of anxiety or depression is the same. If you don’t ‘feel like yourself’ and you’re struggling day-to-day reach out to a professional and try to explain what your experiencing. It’s mental but it’s also within your physiology. Can be difficult to notice if your struggling to admit or accept all of these feelings. Hope you get some help and support!x

My best definition of anxiety at higher levels…you feel like the room is closing in on you…room getting smaller. But more scientific…it’s an exaggerated fight or flight response

I’ve experienced it for over 20 years and it hits different at times. If you don’t feel like yourself, feel like you have no motivation, feel like giving up and nothing matters, constant crying for no reason, feel like jumping out of your own skin, mind racing, like your heart is racing, feeling worthless, like a dark cloud is following you, like you’re all alone, have no desire for the things you love to do, feeling trapped, like the world is coming down on you… there’s so much to depression and anxiety. Please see your doctor, sometimes counseling helps, sometimes medication helps. Which ever route you take be patient. Finding what works for you is sometimes a challenge. The hardest step is recognizing there’s a problem but seems you have. The second hardest step is picking up the phone to make an appointment.

I read this…hit me with my anxiety and depression…but then I finally trusted 1 person to talk to…talk to someone…you can DM me to talk…

Depression, anxiety, negative thoughts, it’s not a war you win. Its a battle you fight EVERY SINGLE DAY. You never stop, you never get to rest. Day after day, minute by minute. Its a constant battle and you get tired. You can feel like your suffocating or drowning. You dont talk about it because you dont understand it yourself at times. I feel it, and I cant express it. I dont know how to put it into words that everyday people would understand. I breathe through it. I cry through it. I do my best to manage it and that is all I can do.

It’s different for each person! Best is to speak to your GP and get a mental health plan sorted!
I have been suffering for severe depression for over 6 years , b4 medication I was constantly loosing the plot either crying :cry: or becoming extremely angry!

For me, it was emotionally, mentally, and physically draining. I would start having panic attacks and crying out of nowhere. Nothing seemed to interest me and forget about laughing or smiling. It feels like everything is wrong in your life and you can’t shake the feelings you’re having. It’s a horrible way to have to live. I sought help and treatment and am starting to feel better. It’s a one day at a time kind of life.

I hope you can see a professional to get a better idea of what depression/anxiety feels like and see what the doctor has to say about a diagnosis. That would be the first, best step to take.
Best wishes my friend :green_heart:

It is different for everyone. I started grinding my teeth at night, I could tell bc the next day my whole jaw would hurt. Also, lashing out at people for no good reason. If you’re doing things you don’t normally do or Not doing things that you do, is a good sign as well.

Hi ,
I have both since im 17 , i have it so bad that i couldn’t even begin to explain all the feels you get , its never the same day to day . every morning is a fight itself just to know you have to get up and conquer another day ! My body and mind work in completely 2 different ways day to day and you actually feel crazy ! For me my arms get numb first , my hands and feet start to sweat , my mind is like a movie projector , hitting me with so many thoughts , clicking away so fast that i begin to panic not knowing how to turn it off for just a minute . i dont know whether to cry, laugh because ill be honest … My emotions are all over the place all the time ! Heart palpitations almost to the point were you start to hyperventilate ! The shakes , sweating , and after all that , the tiredness ! Like you just got hit by a mac truck !

Being isolated from socializing is depressing… wearing a mask is depressing… listening to fake news is depressing… and it’s all good according to the plan…

1 Like

Depression is just a thought in your head, go work out, learn a new skill or something. Depression will disappear

My anxiety affects my heart and my stomach.

It’s mental and physical…find a therapist and a good Dr to help with the right medication. It’s manageable but you need to acknowledge it and take the right steps. Sounds like you’re in the right path though since you’re reaching out for help!